• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 year. - 2013 Edition

Kaladin

Yeah GRRM ruined this challenge for my wife last year. They count as two each, but it's really like reading 3-4 normal length novels.

The problem with those novels for me is I would hit a chapter with a character I hated and wouldn't read for a while before I felt like it.

Aggrotek

Aggrotek- 0/50 Books | 2/50 Movies

Books:

Coming soon.

Movies:

• Rurouni Kenshin
  • Tetsuo: The Ironman

Weirdest movie I have ever seen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
RatskyWatsky - 0/20 TV | 0/25 Books | 10/50 Movies

TV

• Coming Soon

Books

• Coming Soon

Movies
  • How to Steal a Million
  • Crash
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • Jiro Dreams of Sushi
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Tiny Furniture
  • Arabian Nights
  • Bottle Rocket
  • Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation
  • Take Her, She's Mine

Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson's first film, starring Luke and Owen Wilson, about a trio of friends who try to commit robberies. I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson's films and Bottle Rocket was no exception. I really enjoyed it, though it's probably my least favorite Wes Anderson film so far (I've yet to see Rushmore).

Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation and Take Her, She's Mine are both comedies from the 1960s starring James Stewart. Both are pretty delightful, though the former is more so than the latter.

Illithid Dude -2/50 books | 11/50 movies

Movies:

Killer Joe
The Frighteners
Primer
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Django Unchained
Leon: The Professional
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition
Dazed and Confused
Charade
Dark City

Books:

Catcher in the Rye
Hot Pink

School starts up again for me tomorrow, so my pace will be much slower. Being in first place was fun while it lasted.

Chris R

So I'm going to try and do this for this year. Are people counting every movie and book they consume or are they only counting new ones?

Yobalt

Yobalt - 0/50 Books | 6/50 Movies

Movies:

Bronson
Raging Bull
Hard Eight
Road to Perdition
Matchstick Men
Adaptation.

I kind of feel I need to watch Adapation. again...

So I'm going to try and do this for this year. Are people counting every movie and book they consume or are they only counting new ones?

Only new ones. It's an honor system. If you want to be cheesy and count the extended versions of the LOTR films so you can claim first place in an imaginary race, nobody will stop you. ;)

Wok

UPDATE

Wok - 1/50 books | 0/50 movies+​

Books
  • Alessandro Baricco, Emmaüs, 2012. (144 pages, ISBN-13: 9782070131709)

Movies
  • Coming soon

Cartman86

Banned
UPDATE

Cartman86 - 0/50 Books | 9/50 Movies

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (A-)
  • Les Misérables (B)
  • Bernie (B+)
  • ParaNorman (B+)
  • Rec (B+)
  • Killer Joe (A)
  • Magic Mike (B)
  • The Sound of My Voice (B)
  • Zero Dark Thirty (A)

By the end, all that torture stuff was worth it (and I don't mean in real life).

UPDATE

TriangleOfCorruption - 0/50 Books | 4/50 Movies

Books
I have no excuse for not having finished Lolita.

Movies
  • Magnolia - 4.5/5 What a way to start the year.
  • The Darjeeling Limited - 2.5/5 I was a bit disappointed with this one, but it had some fun moments. The bit at the end with the camera panning through the train with each of the characters in the separate cabins was such a fantastic Wes Anderson scene. But overall my least favourite of his films I've seen by some margin.
  • The King of Kong - 4/5 This was on tv, so I watched because video games, not expecting all that much. But what a documentary, some great little bits with Wiebe drawing on the screen while explaining Donkey Kong. Billy Mitchell is just so comically villainous it's hard to believe he really exists.
  • There Will Be Blood - 3.5/5 It's a very, very good film. But something about it just didn't resonate with me. I guess I'm a plebe, because post Punch Drunk Love (which I adore) PTA's films feel like they're missing something. I'll probably watch both this and The Master again later this year, because I want to love them as much as I love how well acted they are. I liked the ending though.

BrokenEchelon - 2/50 Books | 13/50 Movies​

Books
  • Tess of the d'Urbervilles
  • Dead Souls

Movies
  • Ip Man
  • Nosferatu
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
  • Mary and Max
  • Trainspotting
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • V/H/S
  • Chinatown
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • Leviathan
  • The Andromeda Strain

Wiktor

Adrian Werner- 1/50 Books | 3/50 Movies

Books
  • Krzysztof Gonciarz Webshows

Movies
  • Bourne Legacy - 5/10
  • Skyfall 8/10
  • Sinister - 9/10

Last year I found the thread a little bit too late, but this year I'm absolutely going to participate. I'm not sure if I can read 50 books but I'm definitely going to try. The movie part shouldn't be too difficult - at least I hope so. Read two books so far but haven't seen a new movie - only watched some older ones for a second time.

DieUnbekannte - 2/50 books | 0/50 movies

50 books
01. Marion Isaac - Warm Bodies (2,5/5)
02. Meyer Kai - Dschinnland (Sturmkönige 1) (4/5)

50 movies
coming soon

Hampster Pampster - 00/50 Books | 03/50 Movies

Movie 02 - All Star Superman
Movie 03 - Superman vs. The Elite

Both are short DC animated movies but I'll count them anyway. Superman vs. The Elite was the better of the two but only because All Star Superman tried to cram too much into it's short running time. The movie really should have cut the krypton space travelers and the time travelers and focused on Superman/Clark dealing with his condition. Superman vs. The Elite had a great, and cheesy, ending.

My next update should have me finishing my first book - The Summoner by Gail Martin

Movies:
  1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days.
  2. All Star Superman
  3. Superman vs. The Elite

Books:

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood - 1/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books
  • Humanity: A Moral History of the Twentieth Century

Movies
  • Gattaca

Fari

Fari - 0/50 Books | 05/50 Movies

Books

• Coming Soon
Movies

• Kirikou and the Sorceress
  • The Cement Garden
  • Quest for Fire
  • A Fish Called Wanda
  • The Man Who Would Be King

W1SSY

W1SSY - 1/50 Books | 2/50 Movies

Books
  • Wool: Book 1 by Hugh Howey
  • Wool: Book 2 by Hugh Howey
Movies
  • Battle Royale
  • Gasland
  • Tetris: from Russia with Love

Almost feel like I am cheating with the Wool books considering they are rather short but whatever. I really enjoyed the Tetris documentary. I heard them mention it on 8-4 and decided I wanted to check it out. With school starting today I imagine my reading and movie watching is going to decrease drastically.

.GqueB.

Banned
SO how is everyone going about choosing their books and movies?

I'm starting off by reading every book I skipped over in school. Gullivers travels and the Great Gatsby for instance. Also the diary of Anne Frank. For movies, I'm watching all those classic films I'm supposed to have seen but have ignored thus far. Like the Warriors... Platoon... Apocalypse now... Gone with the Wind... Princess Bride... this list is long as hell.

SO how is everyone going about choosing their books and movies?

I'm starting off by reading every book I skipped over in school. Gullivers travels and the Great Gatsby for instance. Also the diary of Anne Frank. For movies, I'm watching all those classic films I'm supposed to have seen but have ignored thus far. Like the Warriors... Platoon... Apocalypse now... Gone with the Wind... Princess Bride... this list is long as hell.

I've always just picked whatever seems most interesting when it's time to read a new book/watch a new movie. If you create too rigid a plan and end up reading something you aren't %100 committed to at the moment, it will probably end up hurting your progress.

Aggrotek

Aggrotek- 0/50 Books | 3/50 Movies

Books:

Coming soon.

Movies:

• Rurouni Kenshin
  • Tetsuo: The Ironman
  • Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

Mumei

I have decided to try this:

Books​
  1. Tarzan of the Apes, by Edward Rice Burroughs
  2. Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy, by James Stark

Movies​
  1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

desu

desu - 2/50 Books | 3/50 Movies

Books

The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

Movies

Karate Kid
Shaft
R.E.D

Korosenai

Only new ones. It's an honor system. If you want to be cheesy and count the extended versions of the LOTR films so you can claim first place in an imaginary race, nobody will stop you. ;)
What do you guys mean by "new ones"?

And I planned on watching my Lotr blu ray box set later on this month, what's wrong with adding the movies to my movie list?

Yep, the spirit of the challenge is that you are broadening your horizons, so to speak. Read new books and watch new movies, expose yourself to new ideas and concepts. Re-watching a favorite film or reading your favorite book for the sixth time is certainly admirable and a good thing, but they shouldn't be counted towards the 50/50 challenge.

Empty

Empty - 1/50 books | 4/50 films

Books -

1. never let me go by kazuo ishiguro

Films -

1. the bicycle thief
2. brokeback mountain
3. the thin blue line
4. mission: impossible

i thought mission impossible 1 was quite good. the only other film in the series i've seen is ghost protocol which is a way more of a ridiculous over the top action film, so the more espionage and mole/double crossing etc orientated plot here was a surprise. though it's more like what i expected in the last ten minutes with a bombastic action scene, the other centerpieces of the film are an intricately planned operation slowly unraveling and a brilliantly tense heist scene done in silence (though the mood was slightly undermined by cutting to a guy throwing up), both of which i enjoyed very much. my main issue is that i don't really care for tom cruise's lead compared to a bond or bourne, he's really dull and i find both his snappy dialogue and his more emotional scenes kinda laughable. also i really enjoyed the 90s technology stuff like the usenet searching, old email ui's and the shitty mobile phones, it's almost an interesting period piece!

the next two are on netflix so i guess i'll give them a try soon to see what they're like. also since my last update i read about 150 pages of the left hand of darkness and hopefully i'll finish that in the next few days to keep up with the reading side.

Suairyu

Banned
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ.

Only halfway through my first novel. First week in and I'm having to pull overtime at work so I come home too tired to focus on words and I'm being kicked out of my current residence. It's not fair, I want to read!

Mr. F

Banned
Mr. F - 0/50 books 3/50 movies

Books

• Coming Soon

Movies

• Django Unchained
  • Raising Arizona
  • A Dog Day Afternoon

Fixed1979

The year started how I though. What's the deal with TV, I see some people are adding it.

UPDATE
Fixed1979 - 0/50 Books | 2/50 Movies | 1/20 TV

Books
Coming Soon

Movies
Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior
Jet Li's Fearless

TV
Dexter Season 3

Azrael

Books (1/50):

1. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett - 4/5

Movies (4/50):

1. Rango (2011) - 3/5
2. Hell is for Heroes (1962) - 3/5
3. Barton Fink (1991) - 2/5
4. Rope (1948) - 4/5

daebo

Update. Finished another book

Daebo - 2/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books
  • Gun Machine
  • Searching for Alaska

Movies
  • Machine Gun Preacher
  • Conan (remake)

Korosenai

Update - 1/15/13

Nub - 1/50 Books | 6/50 Movies

Books
  • John Dies at the End

Movies
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • The Shining
  • The Departed
  • Dredd
  • Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
  • Indie Game: The Movie

O.DOGG

Is it too late to sign up?

I have my doubts that I'll finish 50 books in a year, as I'm such a slow reader but I'll give it a shot!

Result so far:

Books: 1/50 | Movies 0/50

Books:
Killing is Harmless: A Critical Reading of Spec Ops The Line (it's a book, right?)

SaltyDoughnut - 2/50 Books | 2/50 Movies | 0/24 TV Seasons | 0/24 Games​

Books:
Now reading: Game of Thrones
-Crime and Punishment [551 pages] - Jan. 6

Movies:

-Shame - Jan. 7
-Les Misérables - Jan. 2

TV Seasons:

Now watching: Samurai Champloo, Girls season 1

Games:
Now playing: Hotline Miami, Sound Shapes, Forza Horizon

Cartman86

Banned
UPDATE

Cartman86 - 1/50 Books | 9/50 Movies

Books
  • All-Star Superman (B-)

Movies
  • Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (A-)
  • Les Misérables (B)
  • Bernie (B+)
  • ParaNorman (B+)
  • Rec (B+)
  • Killer Joe (A)
  • Magic Mike (B)
  • The Sound of My Voice (B)
  • Zero Dark Thirty (A)

Never read Superman before (saw the Donner and Singer films along with Smallville) and found this interesting at first and brilliant in issue 10, but if comic Superman is full of this many deus ex machinas I don't think I need to read any more. This was enough for a life time. I suppose that's the point since he is literally a god, but there was just so much bullshit techno babble that would toward the end explain away reasons for characters
to come back to life or gain powers etc
that I lost sight of the reality. I did manage to read it all in one sitting so it was entertaining enough. I could see this story in film form being amazing though. Not have to bogged down in so much prior history and characters. I'm sure this is blasphemy.

-Stranger-

Update:

-Stranger- - 0/50 Books | 6/50 Movies

Movies:

Punch Drunk Love
The Bourne Legacy
Senna
The Expendables
Skyfall

There is a movie version of All-Star Superman. It's okay, not as good as the comic IMO.

TetraxShards - 1/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Movies:
In Progress

Books:
Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours by Jim Butcher (B+) - Fun adventure romp. Peter Parker and Harry Dresden have a lot more in common than you'd think. Really enjoyed the use of first person narrative, I found it refreshing for a superhero story.

iirate

Week 1 update!

iirate - 1/50 Books | 1/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Simply wonderful. Some parts of this are incredibly tragic though - I found myself alternating between depression, awe, and *so many tears* mode throughout the second half.

Movies
  • North by Northwest - This is only my second Hitchcock film(following Rear Window a couple of years ago). I didn't care for this one quite as much, but it carried an ultimately interesting plot and some incredibly iconic scenes/imagery.

Week 1 update!

iirate - 1/50 Books | 1/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Simply wonderful. Some parts of this are incredibly tragic though - I found myself alternating between depression, awe, and *so many tears* mode throughout the second half.

Movies
  • North by Northwest - This is only my second Hitchcock film(following Rear Window a couple of years ago). I didn't care for this one quite as much, but it carried an ultimately interesting plot and some incredibly iconic scenes/imagery.

Watch the kid in this North by Northwest scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAhKLfzDHcI

Update:

BrokenEchelon - 2/50 Books | 14/50 Movies​

Books
  • Tess of the d'Urbervilles
  • Dead Souls

Movies
  • Ip Man
  • Nosferatu
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
  • Mary and Max
  • Trainspotting
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • V/H/S
  • Chinatown
  • The Grapes of Wrath
  • Leviathan
  • The Andromeda Strain
  • Justice League: Doom

Cronosblade - 0/50 books | 2/50 movies

Movies:
Looper - 9/10. So good!
Drive - 8/10. Slow going, but I really enjoyed it.

Upcoming -
Kingkiller chronicles (books)
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (movies)

Update

Frustrated_Grunt - 0/50 books | 3/50 movies

Books - Coming Soon

Movies -
The Pianist (9/10; January 2)
Django Unchained (10/10; January 5)
Looper (7/10; January 8)

McCloud?

I'm kind of late to the party, and I doubt I'll actually make it through 50 books this year, but I'll give it a shot.

McCloud? - 2/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books
1. Magic Hours, Tom Bissell ★★★★☆
2. You're Not Doing It Right, Michael Ian Black ★★★★☆

Movies
1. Tiny Furniture ★★★☆☆

VegaNine

Week One

VegaNine - 4/50 books | 11/50 Movies​

Books

• A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway
  • The Shape of Content - Ben Shahn