• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

Skux

It's the smoothness of the image that really impresses me. There are no stray jaggies, no shimmering edges, no pixels out of place. It's such a professional look.

The depth of field and motion blur is the best I've ever seen in a video game.

Come on now.

This is Black Flag

You know what I definitely remembered Black Flag as looking better than that. Thats a pretty big jump

Well one area I think Unity excels at is character models/animation. It's certainly a progression from Black Flag, but the subtle attention to detail with facial animation is some of the best I've seen. I think Ubi's capture solution and animation is definitely a step up from The Order's, and that's another reason I didn't sink into the story as much. Character models certainly aren't wooden, but they didn't give me a feeling of life with the performances in the same way Unity did, or something like TLoU. It's getting to the point where you can really see the "actor" behind the performance and that's pretty exciting for narrative in games.

Man really? I thought the whole squad looked unbelievable. The facial animation was so good it caught small nuances extremely well like when
Lafyette chooses not to shoot Gallahad and the way his face grimaces
There is one scene where Gallahad is yelling as loud as he can and that is an really hard thing to animate properly and I thought it looked amazing.

nynt9

Ryse is an absolutely beautiful game but The Order destroys it.

This. It's weird, it's almost like they're going for different types of "looking good". Ryse looks "really good for a game" but The Order looks, well, cinematic. The materials in The Order especially shine. It almost feels meaningless to compare them since they feel so different. But the visuals of The Order were definitely more immersive for me, and the gameplay design also helped with that.I haven't played Ryse on PC though. But it's not really a matter of IQ, it's a matter of materials and post processing.

sooWoo!

Banned
And people like ranting on these consoles on how weak they are but a game looking this good this early in the generation. Optimization will come a long way this gen.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah, this game was down right gorgeous.

The area with the
blown up ship with fie everywhere
was absolutely breathtaking.

I thought the game was overall pretty meh but that didn't stop it from being the game with the most screen shots I have taken. It got to a point where I had to stop myself from taking screenshots because I was doing it like every 2 minutes...

Servbot24

Banned
I think Uncharted has a chance

It does not. A game that is even a little bit open like Uncharted will not be able to rely on the same tricks that a game like The Order can use. The Order is basically a guided tour through some well made assets - it's all built around making them look as nice as possible, while Uncharted is built around playing well.

The amount of time spent on visuals is probably what impacted the game as a whole in the long run.

A high benchmark for graphics, but at what cost? Was it worth it?

Parsnip

I like the art direction and the material work is pretty great, but all the pp gives it a soft look that I can't get behind.

Raistlin

The amount of time spent on visuals is probably what impacted the game as a whole in the long run.

A high benchmark for graphics, but at what cost? Was it worth it?
Given how Sony internal teams share tech (and to some extent, even share tech with 3rd parties) ... yes it was worth it regardless of how the game itself turned out.

Think of it as engine / tech R&D. What was learned and created here will help future titles reach similar or better graphics, but without requiring quite as much time spent on them. That way, the impact you are arguing is less likely to occur in future titles.

This thread definitely needed to be made. And i completely agree, this is definitely the best looking game out there. In terms of cohesion of the visuals, I don't think unity looks this good in motion. The Order is much more consistent. Visual atmosphere created really is a benchmark.

It does not. A game that is even a little bit open like Uncharted will not be able to rely on the same tricks that a game like The Order can use. The Order is basically a guided tour through some well made assets - it's all built around making them look as nice as possible, while Uncharted is built around playing well.

Yeah I wasn't at all impressed by UC4 overall. It had a lot of very nice attention to detail but it was (to borrow a phrase used by BLR) a very logical progression of the Uncharted games as the level geometry felt very blocky and inorganic. The characters also looked very "videogame-y." I'm excited for what appears to be much more variety in how to attack the enemy and less obvious funneling of the player into an arena though, so I'll gladly take the visual sacrifice. I think the only titles that would stand a chance at meeting or exceeding TO on consoles would be another title made in a similar vein such as a Quantic Dream title. (And based on the Dark Sorceror, I fully expect them to match if not exceed TO)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but its an expected bump and when I played it on PS4 it seemed like where the series should be on a next gen console. It didn't wow me at all.
Seriously I know I keep coming back to this but go and download the gamersyde video of Unity on max settings. There is nothing amazing going on there.

As someone who played Unity at max settings aside from bumping the AA down to FXAA, I strongly disagree. It is the best looking game out in many areas. The Order has it beaten to a pulp when it comes to consistency, as Unity has terrible problems with LOD, but there are many things in Unity that really are best in class.

Daingurse

Best looking game I’ve ever played. Ryse PC is probably the closest thing I’ve personally played, but it still falls short of The Order IMO. Game just looks ridiculous..

emrober5

The Order is certainly the best looking game I have ever played. It doesn't hurt that I really enjoyed the story and setting as well.

I really hope they get a chance to make the sequel, the world has so much potential and I'd love to see if RAD can set the graphical bar even higher.

BPoole

The sacrifices (30fps, QTEs, black bars, few enemies on screen, poor enemy AI, rehashed bosses, and super linear level design) made to make The Order look as good as it does make it a worthless accomplishment. If a developer wants to make a game that is actually fun to play, they won't make the same sacrifices.

People love to shit on Crytek for making games that are essentially tech demos, but RAD takes the cake in that regard.

Can't say i'm Impressed when the game have those huge blackbars. Crysis on other hand blew my mind the first time and that game is open world

Raistlin

RAD is independent.
Maybe I'm hallucinating here, but I could have sworn reading how SWS helped RAD with parts of the engine? And vice-versa ... some RAD Engine 4.0 tech was borrowed by members of SWS? Also, as the publisher (at least in this situation), I would assume Sony gets the source code ... no?

If none of the above is true, disregard my prior post on the matter

Personally, I prefer the look of AC: Unity. The Order's softness turns me off a bit. Very impressive technical achievement by RAD though, especially in terms of consistency. Even with the sacrifices they made.

Raistlin

The sacrifices (30fps, QTEs, black bars, few enemies on screen, poor enemy AI, rehashed bosses, and super linear level design) made to make The Order look as good as it does make it a worthless accomplishment. If a developer wants to make a game that is actually fun to play, they won't make the same sacrifices.

People love to shit on Crytek for making games that are essentially tech demos, but RAD takes the cake in that regard.

30fps, black bars, linear level designs, etc all inherently make for a terrible and 'un fun' game?

ok

Personally, I prefer the look of AC: Unity. The Order's softness turns me off a bit. Very impressive technical achievement by RAD though, especially in terms of consistency. Even with the sacrifices they made.

Well, on consoles Unity shares a similar softness. At least with The Order it's an intended choice with the game supposed to look like it's being filmed. I actually quite like the whole 'camera lens' thing they did with The Order, they did a phenomenal job of pulling it off.

i-Lo

You're in the wrong forum if you are going to bitch about 30fp. Also, the AI for enemies is far from "poor". And "few" enemies? Given the nature of the levels, I sometime wished it had even fewer.

cool_dude

Banned
Has many problems/sacrifices including black bars, super linearity, 30fps, CLIPPING, and quick-time events. The majority of reviews say it's not a good game so they probably invested too much money and time into the wrong areas.

The black bars argument is ridiculous. Isn't the game still pushing more pixels then 1600x900? I felt that it definitely made the transitions from cutscene to gameplay more seamless. It was completely seamless. Couldn't tell the difference. Very cinematic.

Also I noticed some fights where there was probably 6-8 enemies on the screen at once(the bridge). Seemed like plenty of enemies. To say these reasons make it a worthless accomplishment is completely ridiculous and ignorant. Sad.

Big black bars, grain, post process, and too much motion blur for my taste, not saying it doesn't look nice, it does, but I prefer Unity on PC.

That's a very poor opinion. The game has some decent sized levels with quite a good amount of enemies. It is obviously linear because that is the way the devs wanted to make it. People who say it is equivalent to HR are talking rubbish. It is a highly linear TPS which happens to have less expansive levels and less gameplay in general. I am sure they could have made bigger levels with more enemies with this tech and have it run fine. I think they made poor game design choices in many areas, but the tech is legit and the kind of opinion like yours is ridiculous.

Death2494

Has many problems/sacrifices including black bars, super linearity, 30fps, CLIPPING, and quick-time events. The majority of reviews say it's not a good game so they probably invested too much money and time into the wrong areas.

54659684.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think I've seen a game with less clipping than The Order, especially one with as many materials colliding together as frequently as they do in The Order.

Game is absolutely amazing in the visuals department. Haven't been wowed like this by a game in a long time; probably the first time I've had that feeling this generation (Infamous came close).

I would beg to differ. The game has poor IQ. If this was on PC, I would remove the crutches such as fog filter, film grain and motion blur and render it higher than 800p. These things definitely give it a cinematic feel, but hinder the graphics, however I suspect console people will try to claim these as positives.

sometimes I wonder how some people enjoy games.

Anyway, The Order does look fantastic except for something rhyming with bemactions.

This video was the best for me that explains the incredible work they did behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGXaaDwG0y4

lemmykoopa

It's a beautifully visually crafted game, but on my calibrated TV I often find the "soft" image and the muted colours to be distracting. Anyone else feel the same? For example yesterday I bumped the color setting on my TV from 50 (which is the perfect calibrated value) to 100 and the game looked so much more visually pleasing. Everything looks so muted and grey / brown that often I really need to focus and concentrate hard on the visuals to start appreciate them.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Why I'm not surprised, The Order thread with lot's of trolls and drive-bys.

I definitely agree with the OP, The Order takes the graphics crown at the moment, Unity is not even a close second.

BPoole

30fps, black bars, linear level designs, etc all inherently make for a terrible and 'un fun' game?

ok

In the case of The Order, yes.Linear games can still be good,such as Uncharted or Max Payne. The Order is not one of them, and dozens of professional game reviewers agree that the Order is not a good game. I'll also add that the story is poor and the entire thing feels like a prologue.

You're in the wrong forum if you are going to bitch about 30fp. Also, the AI for enemies is far from "poor". And "few" enemies? Given the nature of the levels, I sometime wished it had even fewer.
So I'm on the wrong forum for having preferring to play games that are perform more smoothly and control more responsively?

Have you not seen the videos of the Lycans that just charge at you and attack, then run right back from where they came from and do the exact same attack patten on a loop? The only enemy that has any sort of AI is the shotgun guys, but they just charge at you and don't even bother using cover.

In the case of The Order, yes.Linear games can still be good,such as Uncharted or Max Payne. The Order is not one of them, and dozens of professional game reviewers agree that the Order is not a good game. I'll also add that the story is poor and the entire thing feels like a prologue.

So I'm on the wrong forum for having preferring to play games that are perform more smoothly and control more responsively?

Have you not seen the videos of the Lycans that just charge at you and attack, then run right back from where they came from and do the exact same attack patten on a loop? The only enemy that has any sort of AI is the shotgun guys, but they just charge at you and don't even bother using cover.

Bro you are ridiculous. First of all its a solid 30 far more so than Gears or Uncharted were when they first launched. I can't recall one moment where the game slowed down. The games you cited are 30fps. It also controls perfectly. You never actually played this game have you?

BPoole

That's a very poor opinion. The game has some decent sized levels with quite a good amount of enemies. It is obviously linear because that is the way the devs wanted to make it. People who say it is equivalent to HR are talking rubbish. It is a highly linear TPS which happens to have less expansive levels and less gameplay in general. I am sure they could have made bigger levels with more enemies with this tech and have it run fine. I think they made poor game design choices in many areas, but the tech is legit and the kind of opinion like yours is ridiculous.
How is it a poor opinion? Are you arguing that RAD could have run this in native 1080p, had more enemies on screen with better AI, removed the black bars, and had more expensive levels and still hit the same visual fidelity?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Every. Single. The Order. Thread.

I agree with the OP. This game sets the bar so high it's going to take years for many developers to come close.

Myggen

Why I'm not surprised, The Order thread with lot's of trolls and drive-bys.

I definitely agree with the OP, The Order takes the graphics crown at the moment, Unity is not even a close second.

We need to get to a point where people are allowed to offer a differing opinion without being labelled a "troll".

How is it a poor opinion? Are you arguing that RAD could have run this in native 1080p, had more enemies on screen with better AI, removed the black bars, and had more expensive levels and still hit the same visual fidelity?

The black bars don't effect the experience whatsoever as pretty much everyone has pointed out in the OT. In the gif I posted on the first page that combat area has 3 AI team-mates and 7 enemies coming at you. How many more do you want? In chapter 3 there are endless enemies in your first encounter and throughout the game the amount thrown at you is consistent with the genre. The largest open area fight is about as big as a typical area in Gears of War. They most certainly could have gone bigger but didn't have the time. I am just so confused at how you don't get this.

We need to get to a point where people are allowed to offer a differing opinion without being labelled a "troll".

People have had lots of differing opinions that are clearly not being labeled.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Its not silly. I also think the game would look a lot better without the black bars, even if it meant lowering some settings or dropping the resolution.

Well you're objectively incorrect. It wouldn't look better. It would look different.

The graphical settings and resolution are FAR more important to graphical fidelity than the aspect ratio.

Simply playing on a larger display will solve the any issue the black bars create. Switching displays can't make shit graphics or sub native blurry ass resolutions go away.

Top Bottom