• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

I know I said this in the other Official Thread but the combat sections from Ch 14-16 are so much better than the rest of the game. Why didn't they do that through the whole thing.

It's just got a lot going on what does the enemies being generic have to do with anything? Thats a odd critique, the only reason its in there is you have the environment being destroyed all around you a high enemy count, 4 ai counterparts with insane lighting and particle effects going on. Don't be obtuse.
For the second clip I just meant free form in player movement, weapon change up and tactics. The two biggest oddities to me in the combat are no dive roll and that cover to cover movement is so odd.

The bridge shootout was my favorite, I freaking love that level... The story was starting to build up,
the revenge element was heating up, your comrades are screaming at you to stop.. You get that ridiculous rocket launcher that leaves plumes of smoke that look freaking real
I felt it had a more open design than most of the other shootouts too...

BPoole

The black bars don't effect the experience whatsoever as pretty much everyone has pointed out in the OT. In the gif I posted on the first page that combat area has 3 AI team-mates and 7 enemies coming at you. How many more do you want? In chapter 3 there are endless enemies in your first encounter and throughout the game the amount thrown at you is consistent with the genre. The largest open area fight is about as big as a typical area in Gears of War. They most certainly could have gone bigger but didn't have the time. I am just so confused at how you don't get this.

People have had lots of differing opinions that are clearly not being labeled.
The black bars make the screen smaller and cause people to have to sit closer to their screens because everything is smaller.

The friendly AI is also useless and pretty much just blind fires without killing anything. Again, poor, unaffected AI.

And you're saying the largest open area is about the same size as a typical Gears of War game like that is a good thing? Gears of War is a last Gen series. With all the extra horsepower, RAD should be have been able to make more expansive areas while also looking much better. Instead they made sacrifice after sacrifice in the gameplay (and some technical like frame rate, aspect ratio, and resolution) department just to make their game look pretty.

Shin-Ra

I don't want developers to be forced to make 'expansive' games so they're labeled next-gen.

Tight, linear games are cool too.

The black bars make the screen smaller and cause people to have to sit closer to their screens because everything is smaller.

The friendly AI is also useless and pretty much just blind fires without killing anything. Again, poor, unaffected AI.

And you're saying the largest open area is about the same size as a typical Gears of War game like that is a good thing? Gears of War is a last Gen series. With all the extra horsepower, RAD should be have been able to make more expansive areas while also looking much better. Instead they made sacrifice after sacrifice in the gameplay (and some technical like frame rate, aspect ratio, and resolution) department just to make their game look pretty.

Bro,
Your just messing with us right. You have to be. Please tell me your just messing around.

The black bars..."Make it so the screen is smaller and people have to sit closer to the tv"

I don't even know how to address that it's such an interesting statement.

"The game has technical issues"
What were they? What is the technical issue? A locked 30. Almost no clipping. Amazing AA. Native resolution.

"Sacrifice after sacrifice"
You just don't know what your talking about Mr Poole and again I say - you never played this game did you?

Shin-Ra

Apparently BPoole's going to criticise every console game with a near solid-30 framerate now. Even though that's a vast majority of them.

Well you're objectively incorrect. It wouldn't look better. It would look different.

The graphical settings and resolution are FAR more important to graphical fidelity than the aspect ratio.

Simply playing on a larger display will solve the any issue the black bars create. Switching displays can't make shit graphics or sub native blurry ass resolutions go away.

It would look more like a videogame instead of a wannabe movie

Ricky_R

One of the few things I found a bit jarring was the fire effect from the Thermite gun. It looks kinda crappy compared to everything else.

It always looked good to me from all footage before release, but it isn't as good looking as I thought it would be.

People complaining about the lack of color haven't played the game. There is plenty of color in some levels. That level in the harbour at dawn has great color.

Bro,
Your just messing with us right. You have to be. Please tell me your just messing around.

The black bars..."Make it so the screen is smaller and people have to sit closer to the tv"

What were they? What is the technical issue? A locked 30. Almost no clipping. Amazing AA. Native resolution.

You just don't know what your talking about Mr Poole and again I say - you never played this game did you?

I did have to restart the game once because my characters fell through the floor after slowly disappearing. I restarted one other time for a technical hick up. I also experienced quit a few sound problems too.

The bridge shootout was my favorite, I freaking love that level... The story was starting to build up,
the revenge element was heating up, your comrades are screaming at you to stop.. You get that ridiculous rocket launcher that leaves plumes of smoke that look freaking real
I felt it had a more open design than most of the other shootouts too...

Yeah the Bridge Shootout was really fun too.

One of the few things I found a bit jarring was the fire effect from the Thermite gun. It looks kinda crappy compared to everything else.

It always looked good to me from all footage before release, but it isn't as good looking as I thought it would be.

I always thought the Thermite looked more impressive being shot at me than me shooting it.
This gun though. Goodness best effects on a gun ever:

TheOrder17.gif

Ricky_R

Yeah the Bridge Shootout was really fun too.

I always thought the Thermite looked more impressive being shot at me than me shooting it.
This gun though. Goodness best effects on a gun ever:

TheOrder17.gif

Haha yeah, that and the three barrel shotgun are nuts. However, I think my favorite rifle is the one that looks and shoots like a tommy gun. The one with the clip on the side irrc. Handgun is a toss up between the automatic one and the revolver? that shoots twice.

Must really stink for you to watch a movie that's letterboxed, which is most Blue Rays.... I haven't heard this concern yet about having to sit close to the screen...

Aother thread on The Order's graphics. This is why I keep saying the graphics are overrated. It's blurry and grainy, it's brownish grey and it runs at less pixels than 900p. It's also very confined and linear. Some people are calling the graphics 'clean' and saying the IQ is great.

I'm glad other people seem to think the same. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills when reading comments on this game's graphics.

And DriveClub is a corridor racer, right?

Wrong. The visual fidelity reached in The Order is stunning, so much so that it was distracting me during my playtime.

lol

The friendly AI is also useless an

This thread is not about AI.

This is not about open or closed areas.

BPoole

Bro,

Do the black bars not make your screen smaller? They take about 3 inches off the top and the bottom, so if you're used to comfortably sitting X distance from your TV that is X inches, now your screen is smaller, and may cause players to have to move closer. With a movie it isn't as big of a deal since you're not interacting with it, but playing a shooter requires reaction time and precision, which are diminished if you're not at optimal viewing distance.

I never said technical "issues" per se. AC Unity had issues. RAD made technical sacrifices as I previously mentioned such as resolution, frame rate, and aspect ratio. They did this to improve presentation at the expense of gameplay, which is not a trade off that I agree with.

And no, I have not played the game, but I watched the entire thing on YouTube, have watched several reviews, and have read several player impressions. I feel my opinions are well rounded enough to pass judgement

BPoole

Must really stink for you to watch a movie that's letterboxed, which is most Blue Rays.... I haven't heard this concern yet about having to sit close to the screen...
Are you interacting with a movie in the same way as you're interacting with a game?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Are you interacting with a movie in the same way as you're interacting with a game?

So your solution is to perminatly gimp the game graphically ruining immersion for everyone to accommodate the fact that your display is so small that letterbox mode requires you to sit closer to it?

You have the option of getting a bigger display (or sittin closer), the rest of us don't have he option to magically increase graphical fidelity.

BPoole

So your solution is to perminatly gimp the game graphically ruining immersion for everyone to accommodate the fact that your display is so small that letterbox mode requires you to sit closer to it?

You have the option of getting a bigger display (or sittin closer), the rest of us don't have he option to magically increase graphical fidelity.
So I have to go buy a new TV because RAD wants to use stupid ass aspect ratio that no TV in the world runs natively. Why not give players the options to disable it? PC gamers thought it sucked in The Evil Within, so Bethesda gave the option to disable it.

Graphics and immersion don't go hand in hand either. Amnesia is one of the most atmospheric and immersion games I have ever played, and it has shitty graphics.

nib95

Banned
So I have to go buy a new TV because RAD wants to use stupid ass aspect ratio that no TV in the world runs natively. Why not give players the options to disable it? PC gamers thought it sucked in The Evil Within, so Bethesda gave the option to disable it.

Graphics and immersion don't go hand in hand either. Amnesia is one of the most atmospheric and immersion games I have ever played, and it has shitty graphics.

Not every game has to follow your specific criteria for art, visuals and overall vision. If you don't like the letterboxed nature, you don't have to buy it. You have that right, and to RAD's credit, they have been very forthright about not only using the black bars, but also some of the reasons why. Compare the use of black bars in Evil Within or Beyond Two Soul's to The Order's, and it's clear that artistically the Order pulls it off far more cinematically and successfully, with framing and an FoV that is far better considered.

Also, I have to ask, have you actually played the game? You keep implying that the game is all claustrophobic etc, but there are actually a few levels that are actually quite expansive, probably more expansive than a lot of levels in Gears or Uncharted etc, namely the dockyards, which has gunfights that span across areas the length of several street blocks, as well as through buildings within them, and a giant freight ship to boot, which is evidence enough that the engine is scalable to accommodate larger environments without sacrificing graphical fidelity.

BPoole

Not every game has to follow your specific criteria for art, visuals and overall vision. If you don't like the letterboxed nature, you don't have to buy it. You have that right, and to RAD's credit, they have been very forthright about not only using the black bars, but also some of the reasons why. Compare the use of black bars in Evil Within or Beyond Two Soul's to The Order's, and it's clear that artistically the Order pulls it off far more cinematically and successfully, with framing and an FoV that is far better considered.

Also, I have to ask, have you actually played the game? You keep implying that the game is all claustrophobic etc, but there are actually a few levels that are actually quite expansive, probably more expansive than a lot of levels in Gears or Uncharted etc, namely the dockyards, which has gunfights that span across areas the length of several street blocks, as well as through buildings within them, and a giant freight ship to boot.
I've already answered many of you questions and concerns above.

And I know I have the right not to buy it, and trust me, I won't.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great write up and examples, Bruce. Your gifs also prove why we need to have a sequel with more of a focus on gameplay and combat. The game is mechanically strong in shooting and it has a visual style that seems unique, the encounter design just needs to match it.

Gonna post a few of my favorite shots here. Link the the whole album if anyone wants it.
http://min.us/m1FkgWzU6K5v5

iZdlG4iwymW46.jpg

in3W3ONkq4fHH.jpg

ib1Y7c9MVT5dt8.jpg

i5IgAajkwUMv1.jpg

Tagyhag

The Order is easily the best looking console game out there, it's a shame we can't see it at higher resolutions because I don't like its somewhat blurry nature. If anything, at least the graphics arm of RAD can feel damn accomplished.

Hopefully they eventually get to do a sequel that fixes the shortcomings of the first because the foundation is absolutely there.

Now you know it would run worse if the game didn't have the black bars. :p

vpance

Tesla lab, roman column like courtyard, hospital entrance, round table castle place (was not paying attention lol) and most of Agamemnon were the highlights for me.

Javin98

Banned
I've already answered many of you questions and concerns above.

And I know I have the right not to buy it, and trust me, I won't.
So you're posting in a thread of a game which you have absolutely no interest in and making nonsensical criticism regarding RaD's design choices for the game's visual fidelity. LOL, all right.

Anyway, I agree, OP. This game is the best looking game on market right now regardless of platform. Materials just look so realistic and the shading is on another level. The only game that can potentially match this is Uncharted 4 IMO but The Order will still likely be better in some areas.

BPoole

So you're posting in a thread of a game which you have absolutely no interest in and making nonsensical criticism regarding RaD's design choices for the game's visual fidelity. LOL, all right.
I did have interest in it pre release. I thought for sure it would be a game I buy if I end up getting a PS4. Instead it is a graphical showpiece for the PS4 and nothing more. It is insulting that a short game with zero replayability was launched for $60.

And my criticisms are not nonsensical. They actually align more with what professional reviewers say than the with what the outliers that say the game is great.

Graphical fidelity and presentation were the top priorities of this game, and RAD made a pretty game at the expense of making a good game. An all around travesty.

I did have interest in it pre release. I thought for sure it would be a game I buy if I end up getting a PS4. Instead it is a graphical showpiece for the PS4 and nothing more. It is insulting that a short game with zero replayability was launched for $60.

And my criticisms are not nonsensical. They actually align more with what professional reviewers say than the with what the outliers that say the game is great.

Graphical fidelity and presentation were the top priorities of this game, and RAD made a pretty game at the expense of making a good game. An all around travesty.

So you haven't even played the game... Go buy a PS4 and actually see the game in motion. It's absolutely mind blowing. Screenshots just can't convey.

Vroadstar

Gold Member

But this thread is about it's graphics and not about if it's a good game or not. There are plenty of threads to discuss your criticism last I checked, why don't you post there?

Here you are admitting that it's a pretty game, you could have stopped there since it's relevant to the discussion but you just have to add in something that's not relevant to the thread.

So saying that your taste align more with "professional reviewers" makes your taste in games better than your so called "outliers" who liked the game. Reading the OT, I seriously doubt that that people who liked and even loved the game are outliers that includes me.

Sayad

Do the black bars not make your screen smaller? They take about 3 inches off the top and the bottom, so if you're used to comfortably sitting X distance from your TV that is X inches, now your screen is smaller, and may cause players to have to move closer. With a movie it isn't as big of a deal since you're not interacting with it, but playing a shooter requires reaction time and precision, which are diminished if you're not at optimal viewing distance.
Black bars doesn't make the screen smaller, not in an effective way at least, every in game object you'd see on screen will be the same size with or without black bars, what black bars does is restricts your vertical field of vision, which setting closer to the screen wont fix.
It's annoying, but its affect can be lessen by avoiding vertical-ity in your level design(which open another problem), Evil Within did a horrible job at that, the black were really annoying in that game, though I haven't played the Order to comment on it.

Javin98

Banned

I was referring to your previous comments in this thread about the black bars, AI and more. To me and a few others, they are indeed nonsensical. And I wouldn't call most reviewers "professional" these days.

Not a big fan of the post-processing, but it does look jaw dropping regardless. I only expect Quantic Dream to beat this for now.

Raistlin

In the case of The Order, yes.Linear games can still be good,such as Uncharted or Max Payne. The Order is not one of them, and dozens of professional game reviewers agree that the Order is not a good game. I'll also add that the story is poor and the entire thing feels like a prologue.
I'm not stating one way or the other regarding this particular game. I'm arguing the wording of what I quoted ... it appears to imply that the issues you itemized inherently make games un-fun. If that's not what you meant then fine. Just clarifying the intent.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Driveclub at its best and AC Unity are better looking games to me. grain filter and other post process effects ruined this game visuals IMO

It's the best looking game I've ever played by a wide margin. Games on PC look beautiful and IQ can be ramped up much higher. But the effects and details set this game apart. It's 'hand crafted' and simply gorgeous everywhere you look.

longdi

Banned
Though it is an on-rail type shooter....

The lighting does look very similar to the infamous Killzone render. We just need to have more polygons on the models and to render thick voluminous smoke. PS5 should exceed Killzone render in 2017!

Or something something PC exclusive like the old Crysis with modern DX12 cards!

Gif is killing PC Chrome btw.

BPoole

Now I'm not surprised why going off-topic is ok for you, you just hate this game, that's all there is to it. What a walking contradiction you are.

I believe it's better follow your own advice...
I made my initial point that the game looks good, but at the expense of being a good game due to reasons I have stated already. I can't help that a dozen users dog pile me and accuse me of trolling. I have no choice but to further explain myself, otherwise it's a drive by post. Damn if I do, damn if I don't type of situation.

The second quote is not even about the order, and since you're having so much fun going through my posting history, notice that I have never once posted in the OT of this game.

When I think graphical benchmark, I expect something like Crysis 1. No compromises made by the devs and the graphics/tech behind the game actually enrich the gameplay. In the situation with The Order, the tech diminishes gameplay, which is a huge problem to me.

kyser73

People complaining about the lack of color haven't played the game. There is plenty of color in some levels. That level in the harbour at dawn has great color.

Yeah but they're not eye pooping primary & secondaries which it seems is what some people mean when they say 'colour'.

The colour pallette in The Order is just if not more broad than a Mario game, but because they're muted, shaded & good at reflecting the type of environments they're representing there's no 'pop' to them.

My favourite sections have been the London Hospital section - the texture work on the tiling in that section especially looks completely real, similarly in the tube corridors.

The second was where you're pushing the train wagon with Lakshmi - there's one moment in particular where it looks real - the whole scene looks 3D, the textures & the lighting all coming together. The whole docks section is stunning.

The Mayfair garden deserves a mention too - while it doesn't have the best rain effects ever as an ex-Londoner it felt like it would.

It's a visual treat for sure, and I'm certain more could have been done with the environments in terms of game, but as it stands it reminds me of Ferris Bueller's comment about Cameron's house - beautiful but you can't touch anything.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I made my initial point that the game looks good, but at the expense of being a good game due to reasons I have stated already. I can't help that a dozen users dog pile me and accuse me of trolling. I have no choice but to further explain myself, otherwise it's a drive by post. Damn if I do, damn if I don't type of situation.

The second quote is not even about the order, and since you're having so much fun going through my posting history, notice that I have never once posted in the OT of this game.

When I think graphical benchmark, I expect something like Crysis 1. No compromises made by the devs and the graphics/tech behind the game actually enrich the gameplay. In the situation with The Order, the tech diminishes gameplay, which is a huge problem to me.

What about the gameplay that you played didn't you like?

I am thoroughly enjoying the combat, and the non combat.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
What about the gameplay that you played didn't you like?

I am thoroughly enjoying the combat, and the non combat.

Him being off-topic and this is another issue why users are dog-piling on him, he never played the game!

Talking about gameplay in a graphics thread, thoroughly convinced it's bad but never even played an iota of the game and lastly calling "outliers" those who enjoyed the game. But hey as he said, his taste aligned with the so called "professional reviewers", so I guess you ,me and the others who PLAYED and enjoyed the game are not "professional reviewer" material, so outliers.

omonimo

Banned
The Order is easily the best looking console game out there, it's a shame we can't see it at higher resolutions because I don't like its somewhat blurry nature. If anything, at least the graphics arm of RAD can feel damn accomplished.

Hopefully they eventually get to do a sequel that fixes the shortcomings of the first because the foundation is absolutely there.

Now you know it would run worse if the game didn't have the black bars. :p
Blurry nature? This game it's 1080p without upscale, simply black bar doesn't rendering anything. The only complains I have graphically it's the low AF. It's really notable in different points.

Top Bottom