• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpance

Who said anything about Sony? We're talking about Gaf where we normally don't allow people to mold discussion to suit their corporations. I guess it'd be one thing if it was happening with hard facts but it's not so far.

Seems like a dangerous precedent for GAF to allow this to continue.

The Flash

Banned
They just said the thing passed certification a while back in response to people thinking it's having hardware issues. Spinning what exactly? I don't even see the big deal, it's in production, it's coming out in 2 months, that's all there is to it. Who gives a shit if there was or wasn't any yield issues?

Preach it Brother shinobi602! Preach it!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They'll know when they passed the FCC, and Sony's FCC submission did not request confidentiality so they also know when the PS4 passed the FCC.

We just don't know when the Xbox passed as it has confidentiality on it - I guess we'll have to wait until that lapses to see if they were telling the truth.

Interesting the controller is publicly visible and was submitted 3 days after the PS4.
Sony also requested indefinite confidentiality for the same things as Microsoft, but obviously it wasn't granted or the technical drawings wouldn't have been included in the FCC public record.

The FCC filing that people assume is the Xbone has its confidentiality for photos and other identifying information lapse on December 7th.

Bundy

Banned
Except when Albert comes here, he is doing his job.

He is trying to influence how people view Xbox One. He is talking a lot of shit without any kind of proof.

He's trying to curb the idea that PS4 is more powerful. He wants to disprove that notion, but has no proof to back it up other than, trust me.

Major Nelson, Albert and the unnamed Microsoft Dev started posting more frequently on here and on other places to change the tone of conversations about Microsoft. Instant access to PR control techniques.

If you look at things that Major Nelson says like "we passed cert long ago" like Albert posted on the same day as Major Nelson, you would see that they are on message. They are about disseminating information slowly and in a controlled manner.

The Ars Technica interview with Albert talking about how Sony is being let off the hook because they don't show their hardware in the box was very recent. I imagine his recent aggressive posts are part of the messaging plan in the coming weeks.
AMEN

Point is I don't think we accomplish anything with the "he's not one of us" mantra. He may work for Microsoft, but I think he's just as much welcome to voice his opinion here as anyone else is.

We should encourage more people in the industry to come here and express their views, not seemingly trying to treat it as this dishonest and evil plan to program us all to think what they want us to think.

Instead of accusing him of spewing PR that should be disregarded at all times, how about engaging the guy on some specific points in hopes that we actually get some interesting insight into something we maybe didn't know before. He can't break too much news, because there's certain things he can't say of course, but saying something like PS4 has 32 ROPS you have 16 ROPS, PS4 has this much teraflops, you have this much, what say you? That isn't going to get us anywhere, because the obvious response to that is to simply have confidence in what is being down on your own company's product.

Lets ask the guy if Killer Instinct is running at 1080p native or 720p like suggested recently, or if he's not sure, maybe he can get confirmation on what it's running at for us.

Lets ask him what the resolution of Ryse is.

Let's ask him why we still haven't gotten that awesome Ryse vidoc released in proper high quality yet, and when can we expect to see it?

Hell, let's ask him specific stuff about the Xbox One architecture, and if there are any Microsoft specific customizations that he knows about, and that he can enlighten us on. What benefits has he heard about regarding texturing from ESRAM, or any benefits they might be getting using specific techniques.

He implied that there's some architecture related stuff that we don't know regarding the Xbox One just yet. Are we going to eventually learn about those? If so? Any timeframe? If they're at all significant, will we get an explanation?

When are we going to get a more thorough explanation of what was displayed at hot chips? We'd like to know how Microsoft arrived at their bandwidth figures. What is it about ESRAM that allows it to reach such values. What type of ESRAM is it? What is that thin black arrow leading from the CPU coherent path down to the ESRAM all about? I'm sure he can't answer all of this, but we could be using this opportunity to get some cool info.

Except when Albert comes here, he is doing his job.

He is trying to influence how people view Xbox One. He is talking a lot of shit without any kind of proof.

He's trying to curb the idea that PS4 is more powerful. He wants to disprove that notion, but has no proof to back it up other than, trust me.

Major Nelson, Albert and the unnamed Microsoft Dev started posting more frequently on here and on other places to change the tone of conversations about Microsoft. Instant access to PR control techniques.

If you look at things that Major Nelson says like "we passed cert long ago" like Albert posted on the same day as Major Nelson, you would see that they are on message. They are about disseminating information slowly and in a controlled manner.

The Ars Technica interview with Albert talking about how Sony is being let off the hook because they don't show their hardware in the box was very recent. I imagine his recent aggressive posts are part of the messaging plan in the coming weeks.

God damn you for saying everything I'd want to in a clear and concise manner.

watership

Exact same wording too lol.

It's proof of nothing though. Maybe Albert saw it posted by MN and re-posted it. Maybe it was a thread in his office and they both mentioned it word for word. It doesn't prove anything, either way. What's the point of this anyway? That Albert is PR? He love what he's doing, what he's been working on, and wants to evangelize it. Does that mean he doesn't follow PR rules? No. Does it mean he's officially PR. Nope. Doesn't mean that at all. Cerny is more officially PR than Albert is. He may be responsible for Knack and the PS4s design, but you can bet your ass that the second they realized that the internet was freaking out and meme-ing the shit of him, that he's been trotted out time and time again for interviews, official videos etc.

Row

Banned
I have no doubt Albert is here solely for PR, but don't see the point in getting worked up since it's been SOP on GAF for as long as I can remember.

Are there any developers/pr guys/etc. who openly post here that talk about anything OTHER than their own stuff? Honestly, if they ever did that's the only time I'd see it as anything other than PR.

And you do not see that every company on the face of good mother earth does this, and therefore MS is not so evil at all? You do realize that in that case, all companies are evil? I mean, you're free to think that, but just saying, you cannot then logically go and say that Sony is a perfectly good company.
Wow.

It's proof of nothing though. Maybe Albert saw it posted by MN and re-posted it. Maybe it was a thread in his office and they both mentioned it word for word. It doesn't prove anything, either way. What's the point of this anyway? That Albert is PR? He love what he's doing, what he's been working on, and wants to evangelize it. Does that mean he doesn't follow PR rules? No. Does it mean he's officially PR. Nope. Doesn't mean that at all. Cerny is more officially PR than Albert is. He may be responsible for Knack and the PS4s design, but you can bet your ass that the second they realized that the internet was freaking out and meme-ing the shit of him, that he's been trotted out time and time again for interviews, official videos etc.

This too.

Logic is pretty amazing sometimes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Who said anything about Sony? We're talking about Gaf where we normally don't allow people to mold discussion to suit their corporations. I guess it'd be one thing if it was happening with hard facts but it's not so far.

This is right on the money. It's trying to influence the conversation. We aren't that dumb and I hope people don't take everything he says positive about MSFT and defusing regarding PS4 specs as gospel. I would take his words on Xbone more solidly though.

Derrick01

Banned
Seems like a dangerous precedent for GAF to allow this to continue.

Since he's been allowed to stay up to this point then I'm sure there was a clear understanding between the mods and him.

However as we saw with Tony (Amazon rep) on here, it's a fine line these guys walk and it's easy to slip up and fall.

“Take a look at this thread and”

2532533-brad.gif

If someone told me at beginning of the year how this pre-console launch is unfold.

I would've called him crazy delusional…

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have no doubt Albert is here solely for PR, but don't see the point in getting worked up since it's been SOP on GAF for as long as I can remember.

Are there any developers/pr guys/etc. who openly post here that talk about anything OTHER than their own stuff? Honestly, if they ever did that's the only time I'd see it as anything other than PR.

There's lots of them. Jaffe, James Stevenson, Frank OConnor. They all post here and don't run PR machines for their companies after shit starts going bad for them.

AP posting here isn't bad, but acting like he's just posting as a regular user with no motive is.

The Flash

Banned
Point is I don't think we accomplish anything with the "he's not one of us" mantra. He may work for Microsoft, but I think he's just as much welcome to voice his opinion here as anyone else is.

We should encourage more people in the industry to come here and express their views, not seemingly trying to treat it as this dishonest and evil plan to program us all to think what they want us to think.

Instead of accusing him of spewing PR that should be disregarded at all times, how about engaging the guy on some specific points in hopes that we actually get some interesting insight into something we maybe didn't know before. He can't break too much news, because there's certain things he can't say of course, but saying something like PS4 has 32 ROPS you have 16 ROPS, PS4 has this much teraflops, you have this much, what say you? That isn't going to get us anywhere, because the obvious response to that is to simply have confidence in what is being down on your own company's product.

Lets ask the guy if Killer Instinct is running at 1080p native or 720p like suggested recently, or if he's not sure, maybe he can get confirmation on what it's running at for us.

Let's ask him why we still haven't gotten that awesome Ryse vidoc released in proper high quality yet, and when can we expect to see it?

Hell, let's ask him specific stuff about the Xbox One architecture, and if there are any Microsoft specific customizations that he knows about, and that he can enlighten us on. What benefits has he heard about regarding texturing from ESRAM, or any benefits they might be getting using specific techniques.

He implied that there's some architecture related stuff that we don't know regarding the Xbox One just yet. Are we going to eventually learn about those? If so? Any timeframe? If they're at all significant, will we get an explanation?

When are we going to get a more thorough explanation of what was displayed at hot chips? We'd like to know how Microsoft arrived at their bandwidth figures. What is it about ESRAM that allows it to reach such values. What type of ESRAM is it? What is that thin black arrow leading from the CPU coherent path down to the ESRAM all about? I'm sure he can't answer all of this, but we could be using this opportunity to get some cool info.

Right on the money. If you don't want to hear anything Albert has to say then just ignore him. It's that simple. It's not going to hurt you to not see what Albert posted in a thread for a product that you may or may not be getting.

Good post.

Mayyhem

That was probably the best 1v1 interview I've seen with any one of the Sony/MS execs talking about their next-gen consoles. GJ guys.

Even more hyped for XB1

cripterion

True story about this interview:

I made poor Adam wait for me for like 20 min. I had totally underestimated the fact it was going to take me NEARLY AN HOUR to find parking at PAX. So I was totally frustrated, had been in a car in traffic for over 90 minutes, and was RUSHING into the convention center. I had just walked in, and had been keeping him and his crew waiting. So I sat down, and we rolled – no prep or anything. I’m surprised I didn’t come across as a complete buffoon given how cold I came into this.

I also found out this was going to be on-camera, which I’m not a big fan of, because, well… look at me. I have a face for Radio.

Anyway I appreciate the kind comments.

I’m not going to get into this PR thing again. There are clearly people who understand, and people who don’t. I’ve been a GAF member for a while, and was a reader long before that. I’ve been in gaming my entire professional career, and a player since videogames EXISTED. I come on GAF because I want to. I don’t get paid to post here or any other silly nonsense. Occasionally, the PR team will roll me out to do official interviews, which I’m not really a huge fan of doing.

Regarding the Kinect video I was talking about. There are several, but the one I like best is this. Also – this is now several months old. Latency is even better now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4

Disc install – Turns out, at this point the speed and throughput of the consoles exceeds the transfer speeds of the disc. I don’t have the exact numbers, but the reason BOTH CONSOLES do mandatory installs is because you’d be actually giving up a ton of potential performance by bottlenecking the systems at the read speeds of the disc. Even on 360 games like GTAV are mandatory HDD installs – at this point reading from disc is just too slow. On top of which, the instant game switching feature goes away…

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

Man that was a great post and that video link was really good. I never got the first Kinect so I won't be able to appreciate the differences between the 2, but it's impressive to see that it picks up movements like leg rotation and such.

Anyway, watch the usual "40% more powaah people" come back at you thinking they know better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yes, it is definitely dangerous precedent to continue allowing people to lob personal attacks at someone just because they work for a company you don't like

Who says everyone doesn't like MSFT? That's where you're wrong. I use several of their products. Just because we all aren't corporate apologists doesn't mean we don't like some aspects of the company.

I don't even understand this conversation. He answers the questions and now it's an italicized so what?
I was referring to GAF, not Microsoft. If after the Xbone releases we find that they had yield issues with the ESRAM or whatever the hell it was, will any of us care when we're busy enjoying our PS4s and Xboxes? I doubt it. I just don't see where all this commotion is coming from.

But every time I see the word evil..it's just you and Senjutsu saying it....

Are you suggesting that I'm suggesting that people would actually say that? Of course I'm not, but many people are acting like it.

Many people on here are acting like it's a big, abnormal thing that MS is doing (such as the one post)...It's not.

Chobel

...in both threads they're responding to someone saying the xbox one was missing fcc approval. You might even think they can read each other's posts

Do you believe the original posts randomly bringing up the fcc on both sites were also a conspiracy?

How about this
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1jk5r1/xbox_one_gpu_clock_speed_increase_confirmed/
There's 16 "fcc" in that thread and Major Nelson commented 4 times but he didn't bother to mention if/when they did get FCC approval in that thread.

I know, it sound crazy

zewone

I was referring to GAF, not Microsoft. If after the Xbone releases we find that they had yield issues with the ESRAM or whatever the hell it was, will any of us care when we're busy enjoying our PS4s and Xboxes? I doubt it. I just don't see where all this commotion is coming from.

I'm guessing the commotion is coming from people wanting honest answers and not the usual PR spin.

It's fine if you're okay with that. Others aren't.

Too much logic...you're too calm...this doesn't belong in this thread.

In all seriousness, I agree. I tried to calmly ask Albert some direct questions earlier in the thread, right before it exploded (e.g. could he explain some hardware details that would back up his statements? Is there something architecturally that hasn't been revealed yet that explains this?)

Even if we don't think he's "one of us," we should appreciate the fact that he's coming here. I'm not sure why every thread has to divulge into a war.

I actually do think he loves gaming, which is one reason I'm excited he's out there speaking on the Xbox One, rather than some of the other guys they've had lately out there who seem pretty out of touch with things.

I'm glad he's here, and I hope he stays around because his comments are generally quite direct. He also seems to take on the "tough" questions directly, which isn't something other MS representatives have been doing lately. That being said, if I were him, I don't know how long I'd last here...

Are you suggesting that I'm suggesting that people would actually say that? Of course I'm not, but many people are acting like it.

Many people on here are acting like it's a big, abnormal thing that MS is doing (such as the one post)...It's not.
JABEE said Albert was doing his job, rolling out a PR message that MS wants at the time, I don't think anyone suggested wanting to do that was big and abnormal, it seems like a lot of projecting going on.

I'm guessing the commotion is coming from people wanting honest answers and not the usual PR spin.

I'm only saying that I can't understand why people act like this never happens, or that Sony does not do it, and they are. Several posts have directly compared the two companies in that area.

vpance

Since he's been allowed to stay up to this point then I'm sure there was a clear understanding between the mods and him.

However as we saw with Tony (Amazon rep) on here, it's a fine line these guys walk and it's easy to slip up and fall.

When he was just supplying info and clarifying things about their system I guess that was fine. But clearly going fanboy mode doesn't sit well.

We've got community managers and devs that post here too, but they rarely or ever post inflammatory things like that.

Well, I guess if so many are keen that it has any bearing on enjoying their consoles and games, carry on I guess.

B.O.O.M

I'm not sure I follow what some of you are saying here.

So Albert Penello has a right to voice an opinion? I agree

But people shouldn't call him out for the things he say? Why not exactly? It's pretty obvious the man is doing some damage control here and people call him out. No reason why people have to be extra nice to him or something. We don't have to just ask a certain type of question from the man..this is not a press interview

This is also not a conspiracy against MS...it happened with Shahid from Sony as well rather recently.

Well, I guess if so many are keen that it has any bearing on enjoying their consoles and games, carry on I guess.

oh get off your high horse. You're the guy who started the whole MS Rep on twitter deal right? Don't think it had any effect on your enjoyment of gaming then either but yet you called it out

sangreal

Who says everyone doesn't like MSFT? That's where you're wrong. I use several of their products. Just because we all aren't corporate apologists doesn't mean we don't like some aspects of the company.

Sorry, but there is no reason to resort to personal attacks over engaging him in a rational discussion unless you're over-invested emotionally in some perceived console war. The suggestions that he is lying about his position in the company and is really getting paid to post the company line instead of his own thoughts (no shit they're both in line with each other) are beyond ridiculous.

Kibbles

Pretty ridiculous he is saying it's the consumers fault for not looking for the Kinect videos and such. It's Microsoft's job to sell us their product. They need to push it and show us why we need Kinect. And real world examples, not tech demos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom