• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
I would hope Ryse looked good graphically as it's all Crytek is good for. I'd hate to see them become completely useless as developers.

JABEE said:
Great post

A great point. I would hope most people here are not naive enough to believe he's posting just for funsies. They're definitely trying to spin the narrative on the places where the enormous backlash started, thinking that if we can be turned then the opposite effect will happen and spread to the outside places.

Please explain it to me in as many details as you can and please go as in as much technical detail as possible. You will be doing a service to everyone reading this thread.

Are you saying that he's saying consoles are directly comparable to cars? Because I don't think he is.

How is it that a 700hp corvette is slower than a 300hp porshe? There are many factors, such as weight, efficiency, the way the engine connects to the other parts, etc.

Aside from flops, even on similar architectures (they are not identical), there are other things such as efficiency, bottlenecks (you can't get rid of them completely), tools quality, etc. as well as other things that are much more complicated, such as the ESRAM thing.

It's not an elaborate analogy. His idea is correct.

Now, I am not saying the Xbox is more powerful. Neither did he. He only said that the difference isn't quite so bad as it would seem to be just looking at the numbers.

John Carmack said that the difference would be small. Others have said similar things. A 40% difference is not small by any stretch. Therefore, there must be more than meets the eye.

I agree Killzone looks better than any of the One's stuff. But Forza and DC look very similar. As shinobi said, we really don't have a good view of DC yet. Infamous looks good, but not as great as a lot of people seem to make it out to be. Whenever I look at shots, I see way too many imperfections. It's not bad, and it most certainly is next gen, but it's not like the One couldn't run the game.

I don't think this will be anything near Xbox vs. PS2 (obviously reversed) levels of difference.

Not really, the consoles are way too similar to quote a Porsche vs. a corvette. It's more like two Porsche's, one has a way bigger engine but the other one has a turbo charger. Sometimes the turbo can compensate for less horsepower, but not always.

Agreed. That is a better analogy somewhat. One could argue that they are similar though. Just saying. For example, they're both the same "architecture" of engine. It's not as different as say, normal to diesel for instance.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Would look 40% better on PS4
What does that mean?

You keep saying it, but you never elaborate what that actually means. Would be good if you did, or if you quoted someone who said that something looks 40% better so I can get an idea what you're alluding to.

I don't think this will be anything near Xbox vs. PS2 (obviously reversed) levels of difference.
I can find you 20 posts (in the last 2 days) within 10 minutes that say the same thing as you, while saying it will be a bigger difference than this generation. I don't think that's an unique perspective you're arguing for here.

Caronte

Except when Albert comes here, he is doing his job.

He is trying to influence how people view Xbox One. He is talking a lot of shit without any kind of proof.

He's trying to curb the idea that PS4 is more powerful. He wants to diffuse that notion, but has no proof to back it up other than, trust me.

Major Nelson, Albert and the unnamed Microsoft Dev started posting more frequently on here and on other places to change the tone of conversations about Microsoft. Instant access to PR control techniques.

If you look at things that Major Nelson says like "we passed cert long ago" like Albert posted on the same day as Major Nelson, you would see that they are on message. They are about disseminating information slowly and in a controlled manner.

The Ars Technica interview with Albert talking about how Sony is being let off the hook because they don't show their hardware in the box was very recent. I imagine his recent aggressive posts are part of the messaging plan in the coming weeks.

We have a winner.

There seems to be a trend of people saying the PS4 is only powerful "on paper". What makes you think PS4 won't be just as/if not more efficient than the Xbox One?

The PS4 is not only more powerful on paper. It's more powerful in reality also. I just think that there's more than enough power available on the Xbox One where the results will be impressive enough, where it potentially becomes difficult to see the power advantage of the PS4 as clearly as you may have thought. I mean, I don't think many people realize just how easy it is to almost erase major chunks of that gap. Just lower the resolution some on the Xbox One version, then have at it with the extra power to spare as a result.

There's no rule saying every Xbox One title has to be 1080p. In fact, Microsoft has already said quite clearly that they aren't enforcing a set resolution for games. And, let's be real, I've seen what optimization looks like on a playstation system. That power available to the PS4 will NOT go underutilized. There will be some extraordinary looking games on the PS4. But I'm just being realistic to the fact that there will also be some extraordinary looking games on the Xbox One also, and an incredible looking game is about far more than which console is packing the most horsepower. Sometimes it comes down to genre, art style, and any number of factors. I say we all just enjoy the ride. Both consoles will be well served. I'm not doubting the PS4's power. I know it's the stronger machine. I just think there's a lot more to games than that.

It wasn't a bandaid on the 360. They had high bandwidth GDDR3 then, which the PS3 also had (along with high bandwidth XDR).

I don't think it's a bandaid on the Xbox One, either. Obviously a bit of sarcasm on my part. I think people are making some pretty large assumptions based on incomplete knowledge on what Microsoft's intents were. Sure, we know they wanted 8GB of DDR3, but just because they wanted 8GB of DDR3 doesn't mean that the 32MB of ESRAM has zero benefits outside of propping up the system's memory bandwidth, won't prove to be a big win for the system's graphics performance in general, or is somehow not still a great architecture design regardless of how much more preferred the ps4's setup may be. I have a friend in first party development for the system, and if what they say is true (I'm sure it is) people are going to be blown away by what the system is capable of.

We have a winner.

Translation: Microsoft and their evil, evil, messaging. How dare they tell us how great their system is, and how well things are going with it. :)

diggler41

He is trying to influence how people view Xbox One. He is talking a lot of shit without any kind of proof.

He's trying to curb the idea that PS4 is more powerful. He wants to disprove that notion, but has no proof to back it up other than, trust me.

Major Nelson, Albert and the unnamed Microsoft Dev started posting more frequently on here and on other places to change the tone of conversations about Microsoft. Instant access to PR control techniques.

If you look at things that Major Nelson says like "we passed cert long ago" like Albert posted on the same day as Major Nelson, you would see that they are on message. They are about disseminating information slowly and in a controlled manner.

The Ars Technica interview with Albert talking about how Sony is being let off the hook because they don't show their hardware in the box was very recent. I imagine his recent aggressive posts are part of the messaging plan in the coming weeks.

Holy hell... On point.

Troll

Banned
Is it this one?

iZl9SYHeCWxwp.gif

Or this one?

iZ2zaOxSRkJlP.gif

Ryse was the most disappointing thing at PAX for me. The game (demo) was straight up broken, the game literally had an instance where an enemy clipped through a wall and the people playing couldn't finish the round. During my demo a character would't spawn from a hole in the ground for ~4 mins. It was pretty ridiculous. Couple that with all the little graphical glitches and the overall unfinished feeling of the game with it only having a few weeks to go and it's safe to be extremely worried about this one.

I had a chance to play it at SDCC and it's like night and day, almost like they JUST added multiplayer. I actually liked the demo at SDCC, but this really turned me off.

He's trying to curb the idea that PS4 is more powerful. He wants to diffuse that notion, but has no proof to back it up other than, trust me.

I am looking forward to both my launch XB1 and launch PS4, but couldn't agree more with this post.

Its his job to be pro MS

Xbox fans do not shit on Cerny here. Or any face for PS.

Its just a waste of your life to mock Albert for doing his fucking job.

Wynnebeck

Banned

He's trying to curb the idea that PS4 is more powerful. He wants to disprove that notion, but has no proof to back it up other than, trust me.

Well said sir.

What does that mean?

You keep saying it, but you never elaborate what that actually means. Would be good if you did, or if you quoted someone who said that something looks 40% better so I can get an idea what you're alluding to.

Not sure. All I know is PS4 has 40% more flops thus mo graphix.

If... Xbones games look better, gaf will say, "Microsoft moneyhatted devs."

If Ps4 looks better, "Well I told you, 30% better, gddr5, Xbone lol."

If they look pretty much identical, "Well the devs just don't know how to optimize for Ps4, Xbone still sucks."

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Bingo bango. There's a reason he started posting here after all the 180s to influence people.

Except...the bolded is true. Sony is being let off the hook. They have not been very open.

You guys do realize that

Cerny could just be...lying

Right? It's not impossible. If MS can do it, Sony can too. Sony may just do it differently.

Hard to believe, I know, since ya know, Sony is perfect and can do no wrong...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Its his job to be pro MS

Most of the Sony guys have also not come on here and made a spectacle of things either. JABEE got it right for the most part.

Except...the bolded is true. Sony is being let off the hook. They have not been very open.

You guys do realize that

Right? It's not impossible. If MS can do it, Sony can too. Sony may just do it differently.

What you just typed did absolutely nothing for the conversation. Persecution complex passive aggressive post. If you want to stay above all the immaturity then it's best not to add yourself to the bad posts and at least bring a coherent argument.

Never thought of it like that. Interesting.

It's going to be similar to this gen:

- 3rd party games will be similar (however unlike this gen, PS4 version will be at parity or slightly better performance)

- MS first party will make Xbox One sing (especially 343i)

- Sony WWS will make PS4 sing (especially ND and SSM)

The gap is there, how significant will it be? For the majority of titles, it won't be a big difference. For first party? It could be significant, we still haven't seen the 2nd year titles from MS first part and Sony WWS. With the launch exclusives, it's a bit of a wash.

cebri.one

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

If you are talking about multiplatform titles, without a doubt. But i haven't seen anything like the Last of Us, God of War : Ascension or Uncharted 3 on the 360.

Amir0x

Banned

You guys do realize that

Can you please list the things they have specifically been dishonest about regarding the PS4?

zewone

Its his job to be pro MS

Then he shouldn't pretend that he doesn't have a motive in his posts.

I’m not going to get into this PR thing again. There are clearly people who understand, and people who don’t. I’ve been a GAF member for a while, and was a reader long before that. I’ve been in gaming my entire professional career, and a player since videogames EXISTED. I come on GAF because I want to. I don’t get paid to post here or any other silly nonsense. Occasionally, the PR team will roll me out to do official interviews, which I’m not really a huge fan of doing.

artist

Banned

This is one awesome post, on point and might hit some nerves.

It's going to be similar to this gen:

- 3rd party games will be similar (however unlike this gen, PS4 version will be at parity or slightly better performance)

- MS first party will make Xbox One sing (especially 343i)

- Sony WWS will make PS4 sing (especially ND and SSM)

The gap is there, how significant will it be? For the majority of titles, it won't be a big difference. For first party? It could be significant, we still haven't seen the 2nd year titles from MS first part and Sony WWS. With the launch exclusives, it's a bit of a wash.

^ This is most likely.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The problem with statements like these are is that we have technical interviews that laid out the architecture from the PS4 back in April. More than a month before the Xbox One was even announced.

What they talk about matches up with the leaks, so accusing them of lying needs more evidence than just you trying to equivocate it.
Statements like these need to be demonstrated, not just asserted.

jaypah

Well. This thread got me through my work day. Fantastic read, all the ups and downs, all the characters coming out and playing their part. I was glued to my phone. Some popcorn would have been nice but, eh can't have it all.

Caronte

Translation: Microsoft and their evil, evil, messaging. How dare they tell us how great their system is, and how well things are going with it. :)

What I'm saying is that there's people here taking Microsoft PR as fact or proof. Of course they will try to sell their system, but that doesn't mean you should believe everything they say.

I know Albert is posting here largely for one reason, but this..damn, didn't even catch that one.

If... Xbones games look better, gaf will say, "Microsoft moneyhatted devs."

If Ps4 looks better, "Well I told you, 30% better, gddr5, Xbone lol."

If they look pretty much identical, "Well the devs just don't know how to optimize for Ps4, Xbone still sucks.

PC gamers complain that no one makes games amazing enough for their water cooled 3 SLI Titan'd PC? "

Fixed

WinFonda

Its his job to be pro MS

Cerny and other Sony figureheads aren't publicly defending PS4 policies and going after the competition on popular video game forums.

And posting on NeoGAF isn't part of Albert's job description per se... this is definitely extra curricular.

KHarvey16

Then he shouldn't pretend that he doesn't have a motive in his posts.

Are you suggesting he's lying? Based on what? I seem to remember there being a rule laid down that said dismissing or ridiculing opinions solely on the basis of their source wasn't going to be tolerated.

Curufinwe

You guys do realize that

Lying about what exactly? Please be specific.

artist

Banned
Well. This thread got me through my work day. Fantastic read, all the ups and downs, all the characters coming out and playing their part. I was glued to my phone. Some popcorn would have been nice but, eh can't have it all.
I'm having some skittles, want some?

He's just pointing out, and rightfully so, that this isn't just some casual forum conversation.

Yea, he's right about that. I admit that much. No matter what Albert or anybody else says, if they work for Microsoft, you have to assume they're going to only ever say what they believe casts their company and its product in a positive light. That said, is that reality somehow a reason to automatically not want to hear anything he might have to say on what kind of product he believes they have, and what kind of things will be possible with that hardware? Just because he works for Microsoft doesn't mean he's not being honest with us. It may be exactly what he believes based on the work he has seen internally.

I just think there's this weird animosity towards Microsoft, as if Sony or Nintendo are somehow above saying whatever they can to cast their system in the best possible light. For example, do people honestly believe that Cerny would utter anything that doesn't make the PS4 look awesome?

Why is it offensive to say that. Ryse does look awesome graphically (i.e. visually). The problem most have is with its gameplay mechanics...although, I have heard this is has been substantially improved, and I'm hearing good things from people who have actually played it. I want to try it before judging, but the game does interest me.

So far the most impressive next-gen title i've seen is The Order: 1886, nothing I've seen on Xbox One comes even close. Same goes for Infamous:SS. So the hardware gap might already be showing itself and I imagine it will accelerate when ND and SSM show off their titles.

JytNWjkP3.gif

iba3QDxllBipTy.gif

ibt6JJeIpnHDXz.gif

ibuFuF5nuPbVKL.gif

Sorry but there isn't anything on Xbox One so far that comes close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom