• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama HS coach wins basketball game by record score, somehow not suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we teaching our kids?

Bibb County’s 2-0 victory over Brookwood sets state record

Saturday night’s high school basketball game between Bibb County and Brookwood came down to one shot.

And it happened in the first 15 seconds of the opening possession.

Two passes and one missed 3-point attempt later, Bibb County’s Brandon Rutledge scored off a rebound.

The remaining 31-plus minutes of play were scoreless, and Bibb County improved to 22-9 with an unusual 2-0 victory.

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, it was the lowest-scoring game since Durham Hillside (N.C.) defeated Roxboro Person (N.C.), 2-0, in 1977.

Both Bibb County coach Russ Wallace and Brookwood coach Thad Fitzpatrick said they didn’t expect such a low-scoring affair heading into Saturday night’s contest.

It was the fourth game for both programs that week. The teams also met back in November, and Brookwood won 40-36.

TL;DR, both coaches were trying to rest their players due to tough scheduling, so they mutually decided not to extend their defenses at all (even the team facing the overwhelming deficit) or shoot until the end of each quarter. Totally unprofessional, reeks of collusion, and should result in a suspension IMO.

dream

Those quotes from the coaches are amazing because they're so deadpan.

“Why should I extend my defense when I’ve got the lead is the question that everyone needs to understand,” Wallace said. “I’m sure there is some pointing fingers both ways.

“To come out the second half, I’m not giving them the last two shots of the game,” Wallace said. “I’ll take one shot in the third and be up by four and they have to come play, or if we don’t make it at least go until the fourth quarter. ...I told my assistant coach, either we lose 3-2, we go into overtime 2-2 or win 2-0, and two of the three of those options work out for us.”

“The last 30 seconds were the most dramatic,” Fitzpatrick said. “We were going to take the first good shot we could get, but we turned it over with about 14, 15 seconds to go.”

Who cares? Why schedule high schoolers to play 4 games in a week? They aren't NBA or even college level.

EDIT: I mean, who cares that he wasn't suspended? They did what worked out for them and it's only HS.

genjiZERO

I don't see what the big deal was. Did the kids have a good time and get some exercise? That's all that matters.

TL;DR, both coaches were trying to rest their players due to tough scheduling, so they mutually decided not to extend their defenses at all (even the team facing the overwhelming deficit) or shoot until the end of each quarter. Totally unprofessional, reeks of collusion, and should result in a suspension IMO.

Uh it's high school? This isn't the NBA. These are kids. Who cares.

Gervinho_MJ.png

Patryn

So wait... reading that article it sounds like they spent most of the game with a player just holding the ball for the entire time?

Seriously? How were the teams not bored out of their minds?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I laugh, because these schools are right near here (at work). Like I'm 6 minutes from Brookwood. I can go and visit the Holy Land of Dos Cero (i.e. the Basketball Gym).

This is like the complete opposite of the other high school basketball coach that got suspended for doing his job too well.

Patryn

I don't understand how so many kids can be so bad, especially ones in high school.

They're not bad, it's that they literally just stood around the majority of the game:

After Rutledge scored the lone basket of the evening, the Panthers held the ball for the remainder of the first quarter, and missed a shot at the buzzer...

“He went back into a zone, and we are a lot better team when teams play man-to-man,” Fitzpatrick said. “Especially as big as they are, so we decided, ‘OK, let’s just hold the ball and see what happens.’ They never came out of the zone. We got a chance to rest, and we thought they might chase us a little bit, so we just held the ball.”

One team took 3 shots the entire game, and the other took a whopping 4 shots. There were 7 shots in the entire game.

jwk94

I don't understand why people are dismissing high school sports. Some of these kids will go on to college sports and possibly even professional. You don't just decide "well it's high school, who cares."

To the people taking my title and OP seriously, the faux-outrage was to contrast with a recent HS game where a coach was suspended for winning 161-2, despite pulling all of his starters and not using a full court press. The opposing coach complained that he wasn't teaching his guys to "play the right way."

Meanwhile, here you have two coaches who both decide to sit in a zone on D without attacking ball-handlers, and instructing their players not to try to score unless the clock mandates it. It's barely even a sport at that point, just mental masturbation. Neither coach was disciplined despite obviously colluding on this "strategy" to rest their players. As a player I'd rather be benched than stand around doing nothing getting PT.

DopeToast

Banned
I can't imagine attending that game. Can you imagine what parents of the players were yelling at the coaches the entire time? I'm surprised the refs just didn't call it after the first half or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't imagine attending that game. Can you imagine what parents of the players were yelling at the coaches the entire time? I'm surprised the refs just didn't call it after the first half or something.

They thought they'd have a Seahawks moment.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
4 games in a week? So what, they're kids. And supposedly athletes. Why would 4 games across 7 days require them to stand around and not play? It isnt wrestling or football.

We use to have up to three games in a single day depending on the tournament.

Vestal

Gold Member
4 games in a week for a High school student is too much!?!? WTF is wrong with kids nowadays.

We used to sometimes have 8 games in a week.(36-40min games) 3 during the week days and 5 Friday-sunday for tournaments. I would probably play 25-30min a game depending, and still go home and Shoot around the same night or next day.Never could get enough of it, and never really got too tired that I couldn't play or we wouldn't pull out all the stops in a game. With a roster of 12 players its easy to manage 40min games to were you are not over extending any player.

I don't understand why people are dismissing high school sports. Some of these kids will go on to college sports and possibly even professional. You don't just decide "well it's high school, who cares."

Still just kids. Still doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom