• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are pretty serious about this stuff.

I have both versions in my possession right now. As far as I could tell, they both appeared roughly the same to me.

If I had some data logging software I know is see a difference, but to my gamer eyes both are great.

Does one look $100 better?

I have both versions in my possession right now. As far as I could tell, they both appeared roughly the same to me.

If I had some data logging software I know is see a difference, but to my gamer eyes both are great.

Why do you care what people think if you have both and you are content? It seems like you are already living in a blissfully ignorant world, so why would you want to attempt to shatter your perfect world?

Piggus

I'm guessing this PR "discussion" they're trying to have will move away from damage control to some kind of gradual acceptance. They can't possibly believe their own bullshit. Because if they do then they're only demonstrating how technically incompetent they are.

Like what in the actual fuck at their choice for memory setup. The hell were they thinking? When they were sitting at their little table eating popcorn in February and Cerny announced the PS4 specs they knew they were F - U - C - K fucked on the hardware front. I would have LOVED to have seen the reactions in that room. And now we still get these horse shit PR claims trying to downplay such a difference. Maybe when they see that Watch Dogs, Destiny, and just about every other big name title has a huge advantage on PS4 they'll finally shut the fuck up and focus on the strengths of their system instead of downplaying the weaknesses.

iHVARrzOuoCQG.gif
incredible finale to a 2 part GIF saga

Yes, the are both on similar bluray discs. Now put them in your systems please.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Albert every post you make wont make a difference show us games that show the xbox advantages then people will believe until then it's all in sony favor.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
+$3

Are you Albert's "Good" doppelganger?

Lol no, I don't even have an Xbox One ^^. But I think, if you believe in your product (or at least, understand the intention behind certain decisions) you should be totally able to answer a question regarding a perceived weakness of the product by highlighting the strengths it has and without outright lying. If you start lying you make not only yourself, but also your product look bad, because you make everyone think about the weakness instead of what you can get in exchange. Nevertheless, it seems Panello isn't really a PR guy, and is just doing work PR guys should be doing instead. I just think he should stop doing it, if he cannot do it with a straight face.

Chobel

I'm sure everyone is like you, no one can differentiate between 60fps and 30fps. 60fps is a lie.

I agree with you, most of the time the difference doesn't matter that much, in my case I play Battlefield 4 on my PC at 1080p with Ultra with only 2X AA. After playing the PS4 version I can definitely see the difference in graphics fidelity and draw distances but it is the same game in the end and the same experience. The same can be said about the Xbone and the PS4 but you can't denied that at a better price/performance ratio the PS4 is the system to choose not only because is more powerful but because is cheaper..

Most of the time I use my PC because I like better framerates and better graphics and mouse support...

I'm sure everyone is like you, no one can differentiate between 60fps and 30fps. 60fps is a lie.

60fps is actually worse. People hated the Hobbit at 48fps. It's just a gimmick to get people to spend more on movies.

The human eye can only see 30 fps anyway.

Plus, a stable 30 is better than a stable 60. Smoother controller input.

But it's not that big of a deal.

(I love how ALL of these statements have been used AND they contradict each other)

Anion

This guy is pretty dang strong.
I respect him for this continuous work. Personally, I wouldn't be able to do this

I would have quit lol

21 minutes into the podcast, and one of the hosts tells AP and AG how his wife does not like the TV functionality and either AP or AG goes "REALLY???"... That was too funny.

Has Sony ever made any statements about how the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One? Honestly, I cannot think of any real jabs at the Xbox One that Sony has made SINCE they took their jabs at E3 with the PS4 conference. They said some things then, but since, Sony has been very quiet.

I really do not understand why Penello cannot just talk about what the Xbox One does well, instead of trying to make it something it really isn't.

Now, with him and Major Nelson talking about how they aren't giving up a 30% power difference, and they cannot wait for the truth to come out, they leave people waiting. Constantly tweeting them, asking for what the "truth" is, asking for what is the "secret sauce" that is going to make up the power difference.

They have promised that these details would be coming. So now they have everyone wanting these details, but they just start talking about other stuff, opening a whole new line of questions and wonders.

It really is amazing what they are saying, and how ridiculous some of their statements sound.

I agree with you, most of the time the difference doesn't matter that much, in my case I play Battlefield 4 on my PC at 1080p with Ultra with only 2X AA. After playing the PS4 version I can definitely see the difference in graphics fidelity and draw distances but it is the same game in the end and the same experience. The same can be said about the Xbone and the PS4 but you can't denied that at a better price/performance ratio the PS4 is the system to choose not only because is more powerful but because is cheaper..

Most of the time I use my PC because I like better framerates and better graphics and mouse support...

Bad example, BF4 on PS4 runs at 60 (mostly). Not the same case as TR.

Bgamer90

Banned
Has Sony ever made any statements about how the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One? Honestly, I cannot think of any real jabs at the Xbox One that Sony has made SINCE they took their jabs at E3 with the PS4 conference.

They did put some ads on social media about 1080p around the launch of the PS4 iirc.

"Gamer eyes" lmao.

Also, dat El Torro gif. Lawd.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Why?

Penello is never coming back, is he?
Heh, would you?

This is the virtual equivalent of being tarred and feathered right here. Then we'll have him run the gauntlet of thrown fruit and stones before we saddle him backwards on to a pony and send it speeding out of town to the collective hoops and hollers of the crowd.

Heh, would you?

This is the virtual equivalent of being tarred and feathered right here. Then we'll have him run the gauntlet of thrown fruit and stones before we saddle him backwards on to a pony and send it speeding out of town to the collective hoops and hollers of the crowd.

Could be worse. He's riding on the horse instead of being dragged by it...

To me the important takeaway from the FPS difference is that it once again shows that the PS4 is more powerful. How a developer chooses to use that power is up to them. Some will go for higher FPS. Others will go for better image quality. What I find really interesting is that the extra power of the PS4 could be used to show XB1 image quality games but in virtual reality. That is a difference that would be hard to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom