• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Anthology Blu Ray Official-Oct. 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Sapiens said:
I always liked calling it the quadradgilodge.

Such a fucking stupid word.

When all anyone wants is the first film (and maybe the second).

Maybe?

Bitch please.

Sapiens

gdt5016 said:
Maybe?

Bitch please.

Yeah, maybe.

I like Aliens. I think it's fantastic action. But the DVD version is fine for me. The only film of the four I want in HD is the original.

That's the only one I want to upgrade.

Sapiens

Lord Error said:
Are the differences between theatrical and directors cuts of Alien and Aliens significant?

No, not significant. I'd say that Aliens definitely offers more, but the films aren't made any stronger or weaker, IMO.

Lord Error said:
Are the differences between theatrical and directors cuts of Alien and Aliens significant?
Not especially.

That said, the theatrical cut is the definitive version of Alien. FOX pretty much made Ridley do an alternate version for the DVD release, and he prefers the original cut.

Blader

Lord Error said:

Theatrical cuts of both are the superior versions.

The director's cut of Aliens has a couple cool scenes, but most of the extra time is spent on the characters, which is a waste of time since they're about as dynamic as a sock.

golem

Discotheque said:
Crazy features discs. But I'm not making the same mistake I did with the Matrix collection.

This time I'm waiting for individual releases. I only want the first two.
Same

bought the first Alien set and I probalby didnt ever even watch the other two

JoeBoy101

BertramCooper said:
Not especially.

That said, the theatrical cut is the definitive version of Alien. FOX pretty much made Ridley do an alternate version for the DVD release, and he prefers the original cut.

Yeah, but the deleted scenes from Alien were very useful. Especially
Dallas and Bret being turned into eggs
. It was an important part of the lifecycle to explain reproduction of the Alien in absence of a queen and/or other eggs.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I...think I'll just wait for the individual releases of 1 and 2. :\

Despite what RS says, I actually prefer the extended cut of alien.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
JoeBoy101 said:
I despise Resurrection, but Alien 3 wasn't that bad, and to get all the features and everything, I might bite down. Alot may rest on the packaging. I'm still irritated I had to import the Alien Head Quad set for the DVDs.

alien%20quadrilogy%20set.jpg

What the hell do you people do with this stuff? I mean.. is your bookshelf littered with little plastic Halo 3 cat helmets and alien heads? I have never understood the kitschy plastic crap that comes with these things.

Lord Error said:
depends what you mean by significant. important? i'd say no, other than the awesome scene in Aliens with the auto sentrys.

substantial? fairly. the Alien SE rather changes the established lifecycle (and i don't prefer it)... and the Aliens SE completely spoils the surprise of ripley and co landing on LV-426 by showing you the colony up and running before hand, AND showing you someone getting face hugged.

it's neat to watch after you've seen the original version, but do not watch it first. it destroys the pacing of the first half.

also, that subtle stuff about Ripley mothering Newt gets sledge hammered home.

if you laughed when i said 'subtle' you won't like the changes on that front in the Aliens SE.

as i recall Ridley and Cameron had final cut on the theatrical versions (even if they had to meet certain running times, that i'm not sure about). what we saw in the cinema was the director's cut.

JoeBoy101

StoOgE said:
What the hell do you people do with this stuff? I mean.. is your bookshelf littered with little plastic Halo 3 cat helmets and alien heads? I have never understood the kitschy plastic crap that comes with these things.

I don't get ALL that shit. I got the LE Edition of Halo 3. But I love Alien and Aliens, and I happened to have a region-free DVD player, so I picked it up instead of the US version.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
StoOgE said:
I'm allergic to those plasticky 'collectors-edition' trinket releases or tin boxes - especially because they create another step to getting to the disc.

They're horrible ugly clutter - I always see the dregs of those type of releases (Terminator DVD-head, Lord of the Rings Gollum book-ends, Sex and the City 'photo book' editions) on clearance at DVD stores, and I get a tinge of embarrassment for people that bought them :lol

Tedesco! said:
http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/alienbdcon01.jpg

These are limited to 5,000 in the US, and evidently you can only get them here. Enjoy.
Blech.

I've never understood why people like giant plastic crap with their DVD sets.

BertramCooper said:
Blech.

I've never understood why people like giant plastic crap with their DVD sets.
The base of it has a regular sized digipak with the discs. So you put that on your shelf, and the freaky egg elsewhere. That isn't a bad price for a premium collectable that is so limited either.

PhoncipleBone said:
The base of it has a regular sized digipak with the discs. So you put that on your shelf, and the freaky egg elsewhere. That isn't a bad price for a premium collectable that is so limited either.
I wonder what one could do with the freaky egg.

It might be fun to stick it on a little kid's bedside table while they're asleep.

Tedesco!

BertramCooper said:
I wonder what one could do with the freaky egg.

It might be fun to stick it on a little kid's bedside table while they're asleep.

Plus the egg lights up. Added bonus.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If this is given the same treatment that Blade Runner was given then: All over my tits, face, and hair.

MetalAlien

Banned
Discotheque said:
Crazy features discs. But I'm not making the same mistake I did with the Matrix collection.

This time I'm waiting for individual releases. I only want the first two.

Maybe me too. I don't even have a blu ray player yet.

The ALIEN ANTHOLOGY will be available for a suggested retail price of $139.99 U.S.

Pfffft. C'mon.

People are really only interested in 1/2 the movies.

Blader5489 said:
Theatrical cuts of both are the superior versions.

The director's cut of Aliens has a couple cool scenes, but most of the extra time is spent on the characters, which is a waste of time since they're about as dynamic as a sock.
The sentries are cool. Even if god hates them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
speculawyer said:
The ALIEN ANTHOLOGY will be available for a suggested retail price of $139.99 U.S.

Pfffft. C'mon.

People are really only interested in 1/2 the movies.
Only 1 is worth purchase anyways. Rest are forgettable.

Tedesco!

If the original Anthology is any indication, this will be a superior boxed set. I don't give Fox a lot of credit when it comes to how they handle releases, their TV shows, or pretty much anything else, but from what I've read this set is getting a fantastic treatment. Evidently Cameron recently signed off on the Aliens BR mastering. That's a sigh of relief considering the nonsense treatment that Predator recently received.

It should also be noted that the original design of the collector's edition boxed set featured the alien design from Resurrection. The new design features the Aliens design. I approve.

Tedesco!

MetalAlien said:
Didn't see it posted yet but just a FYI. The Burke cocoon scene is finally going to be in the bonus features of Aliens.

Finally! I remember reading this scene in the novelization, and was upset that I didn't see it in the theater. You never would have known it existed if it weren't for this production still:

burke.jpg

As far as science fiction movies are concerned, this deleted scene ranks right up there with the Hoth deleted scenes from Empire as scene fans really want to see. I don't care that it's not integrated into the film. I'm just happy it's included.

Also, and I know this is minor, but the treatment this set is getting pretty much prevents double dipping by the studio (I hope). I can't think of anything else they could possible include. You can either get this set, or the eventual single disc releases; but I doubt we'll see the Aliens "Chest Bursting" edition. Thank goodness.

MetalAlien

Banned
I really shouldn't be doing this and if something bad happens to ruin this I will feel like a total ass.

This is where I got the word about the cocoon scene. This is also the forum where Dennis Lowe, Simon Deering, and Jon Sorensen have been posting to for the past year. They were all Sci fi artists for Alien and many classic movies we all loved. You never see stuff like this. Guys of this caliber posting and responding to fans.

Dennis has been making (free to the internet) making of specials for the past year. Not found on any DVD including interviews with HR Giger. Even asking about his wifes bones (rumored to be in the Alien costume).

Don't screw this up GAF.

http://www.alienexperience.com/forum/index.php/topic,6575.0.html

Cocoon thread.
http://www.alienexperience.com/forum/index.php/topic,7816.0.html

Tedesco!

MetalAlien said:
I really shouldn't be doing this and if something bad happens to ruin this I will feel like a total ass.

This is where I got the word about the cocoon scene. This is also the forum where Dennis Lowe, Simon Deering, and Jon Sorensen have been posting to for the past year. They were all Sci fi artists for Alien and many classic movies we all loved. You never see stuff like this. Guys of this caliber posting and responding to fans.

Dennis has been making (free to the internet) making of specials for the past year. Not found on any DVD including interviews with HR Giger. Even asking about his wifes bones (rumored to be in the Alien costume).

Don't screw this up GAF.

Cocoon thread.

Thank you. I'll be signing up for this tomorrow.

Man, the wait was too long for Aliens BD.

Can't wait.

There are supposely movies that continued pass it, but I figure that was just old bogeymen stories to scare kids.

Oh, apparently there was a movie before that was some type of decent thriller-horror flick too.

Blader

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Man, the wait was too long for Aliens BD.

Can't wait.

There are supposely movies that continued pass it, but I figure that was just old bogeymen stories to scare kids.

Oh, apparently there was a movie before that was some type of decent thriller-horror flick too.

Alien is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.

Aliens is a dumb cheesy action flick.

Daigoro

MetalAlien said:

Don't screw this up GAF.

Cocoon thread.

awesome. thanks for that.

Blader5489 said:

Maybe it just seems dumb and cheesy if you've been exposed to the dozens of movies that tried to ape the same formula (badly) before ever watching Aliens.

kv4Vf.jpg

Blader5489 said:

And all your opinions from this point forward are completely invalidated by that response. :D

Really, I didn't know there was this much "Aliens" hate out there.

And while the third movie was merely decent, and the fourth was horrible, I want the set just to watch all the behind the scenes stuff on those two. (And of course, the first two movies, which are perfection. The first being a perfect horror film, the second being a perfect sci fi film.)

AgentOtaku said:
So is there a synopsis on the Burke scene somewhere I can read?

thanks

http://www.alienlegend.com/Aliens/DeletedScenes/index.htm

When Ripley hears Newt scream, a hand shoots out and grabs her. It belongs to Carter Burke. He says, "Ripley, help me. I can feel it inside. Oh God, it's moving! Oh God." "Here," Ripley replies, handing him a grenade. She wraps his fingers around it and pulls the primer. Then moves on. This scene isn't in any released version of the film, but it was definitely filmed. Charles de Lauzirika confirmed this. He watched it while preparing the Alien Quadrilogy. He said he understood why Cameron cut it, but no further details were given. It's a controversial scene since many think Burke should've still had a Facehugger on his head due to how long it takes for embryo implantation.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
a Master Ninja said:
I only want the first two. :/
I quite like Alien 3 and I'm keen to see the features for it, but Resurrection can suck a fat one. An HD transfer can't save that rubbish :(

Tedesco!

I really don't understand the Aliens hate at all, unless it's just Cameron/Avatar backlash. I have a soft spot in my heart for Alien 3, if only because of the massive train wreck that it was. The original edit was o.k., but the Assembly Cut really is worth a watch and makes Alien 3 a better movie. Resurrection is pure shit. I consider myself to be a very big fan of the Alien series, and even I can barely watch the movie in one sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom