• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

hlhbk

Any idea when the reviews drop? I swear if this game doesn't pan out I will never preorder another Aliens game ever.

You don't see it? When you see him readying its arm to grab, the Alien was a good few feet right before going towards the player instantly.

Gotta stop huffing that moon dust!

dQoGYST.gif

Agreed, Prometheus right now is a terrible prequel to the Alien story however I believe that Pometheus 2 could tie it together very well. At the moment though it's a movie about the Engineers, not the creature in Alien.
Scott's already stated that P2 won't feature the alien at all.

todahawk

Agreed, Prometheus right now is a terrible prequel to the Alien story however I believe that Pometheus 2 could tie it together very well. At the moment though it's a movie about the Engineers, not the creature in Alien.

Have you read the Engineer script that is floating around? It's goddamn wonderful and shows what could have been. It's a true ALIEN prequel treatment.

Mr. Sam

Game of EGX for me. Terrifying but great fun.

Edit: Oh, and beautiful. So detailed. They captured the Alien aesthetic perfectly.

To describe Prometheus as about anything would be doing it a kindness - it's a narrative and thematic mess with nice cinematography. Its focus or lack thereof on the alien isn't the problem.

this game looks amazing, too bad my video card died earlier in the week...hope i get it back close to launch.

I'll be too scared to play it anyway

I actually kinda like Prometheus, I just think it left things way too ambiguous and a few bad choices were made. Maybe P2 will come back around and make P1 make more sense.

I do like the fan-cut I have a lot better than the actual film. Some trash got cut out and some important cut content was put back in. Plus it has the much superior CG version of Alien-Fifield with the elongated head. Makes it much more obvious that the purpose of the black goo is to steer any DNA toward the Alien.

You guys know that Prometheus isn't a prequel to Alien... right?

I missed how many times Ridley Scott tried to explain that.

Lucifon

My copy was posted today so fingers crossed it'll arrive tomorrow. I'll either be sat at work excited to get home or regretting thinking "fuck it" a few days ago when I pre ordered it.

Mr. Sam

1) It is. It's got a space jockey and an alien in it. Much of its running time is devoted to the convoluted and nonsensical origin story of the alien creature.
2) Its being a prequel or not isn't where it falls down.

EGM1966

But if you really want to rabbit hole it, the alien in Alien is a different creature than the "made it my own" Cameron version. (and Giger's is much better looking)
Yah I always prefer original Alien but I felt Cameron tried to keep close to it while allowing for faster movement.

He can clearly be an arrogant bugger but to be fair the special edition of Aliens shows a film that's fairly respectful of the original down to the eerie empty ship reveal of the Sulaco and the perfect recreation of the Narcissus.

When the Sarge sits up and sticks a cigar in his mouth I felt it was s cute way for Caneron to note "from here forward this is my baby".

But yeah Geiger sculpted Alien is the best visually.

Verger

Banned
There should be a Challenge mode where you have to rescue a space cat like Jonesy from the Alien.

But of course, the cat would be a troll and run away (or lead you straight to the Alien) :p

Linconan

There should be a Challenge mode where you have to rescue a space cat like Jonesy from the Alien.

But of course, the cat would be a troll and run away (or lead you straight to the Alien) :p
There might be something like that in the pre-order content for all we know, hopefully.
The Ripley Edition

I mean,..
What else is Ripley going to do when she's running around getting hunted by the Alien, and she's singing You Are My Lucky Star. lolol

All Ridley Scott meant by saying it was not a prequel was that it was its own story separate from the story told in the original movies. It's still obvious a series prequel that takes place in the same universe and even deals directly with a few things from the original series.

Verger

Banned
There might be something like that in the pre-order content for all we know, hopefully.
The Ripley Edition

I mean,..
What else is Ripley going to do when she's running around getting hunted by the Alien, and she's singing You Are My Lucky Star. lolol
Curse at Mother.

Or being attacked by a deranged Ian Holm carrying a magazine :p

Micerider

A retailer i my town was already selling the PS4 and Xbone version today. As I'm hesitant about it (after all, I went there to Pick Shadow of Mordor and Forza Horizon 2, which leaves little time for anything else) I did not pick it up but are others in a similar situation and would care to share their impressions?

Prometheus has it's problems - but then so too does Aliens. In the end, I'm largely content with both films. I may even enjoy Prometheus a bit more! /heresy

Sephzilla

How is Prometheus NOT a prequel to Alien?
The final shot of the film is a xenomorph.

Exactly. Dress it up all you want, regardless of original intentions from the creators, it's an Alien prequel.

i'm willing to take a bet that in earlier versions of the script that planet was LV-426, that the ship was carrying Xeno eggs and not black goo, and that the ship was the same one that's in Alien/Aliens.

1) It is. It's got a space jockey and an alien in it. Much of its running time is devoted to the convoluted and nonsensical origin story of the alien creature.
2) Its being a prequel or not isn't where it falls down.

All Ridley Scott meant by saying it was not a prequel was that it was its own story separate from the story told in the original movies. It's still obvious a series prequel that takes place in the same universe and even deals directly with a few things from the original series.

For me it's not prequel in the true meaning of the word.

One of the things the movie tries to explain is the space jockey and by doing that it represents some kind of prequel, but the truth is that the movie develops much more it's own mythology than putting some context in the ship that the Nostromo crew found later.

Besides Ridley Scott already said the sequel will not feature any kind of Alien, this means the TRUE purpose of the movie was to create it's own mythology rather than being some kind of prequel which end is followed by the beginning of Alien.

And that's one of the things why a lot people didn't like Prometheus, they expected to see a prequel but in fact it's not really.
Although some things were just bad.

Linconan

Curse at Mother.

Or being attacked by a deranged Ian Holm carrying a magazine :p

Heheheh.

Seriously though..
Surely they'll do something like this for it's layout for the objectives when playing the Original characters.
Otherwise what's the point.
There's so much they could do (hopefully),
Brett searches for Jones (explore)..
Dallas Vent Maze (Vent closing, survival)
Ripley battles (escape) Ash..
Ripley searches for Jones (explore and survival)..
etc etc etc
*sigh...

*calms down*

ah fuck it, it'll be just go here flick the genny switches objectives. lol

Chinner

Banned
is the nostromo edition INCLUDING the original game too? all the descriptions on the net make seem like its seperate

is the nostromo edition INCLUDING the original game too? all the descriptions on the net make seem like its seperate

The Nostromo Edition includes the full game of Alien: Isolation and the bonus content “Crew Expendable”.

is that what you mean by Original game?

Chinner

Banned
yeah i do, thanks!

any idea how long this game is yet? do we know how significant crew expendable will be or will it be like a 30 minute thing?

Linconan

Do you mean the Content from Ripleys Edition?
The Last Survivor Content?
I think it's only for that atm

The Nostromo Edition includes the full game of Alien: Isolation and the bonus content “Crew Expendable”.

is that what you mean by Original game?
https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-203489-Alien-Isolation-Ripley-Edition-PlayStation-4
Ripely Edition has more Content than Nostromo Edition

Top Bottom