• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

gossi

Ok I am really in the mood for this game, but I have one question that really wish someone could clarify.

Is the game the Trial and Error fest that a lot of people/reviews mention?

Can carefull and slow approach of each situation by the player, detect and avoid danger? Or are there completely cheap deaths that you just have to go through in order for you to learn specific things to avoid, and thus progress?

I've only died in situations of my own making so far (and my cat knocking a bottle over in real life, which Kinect picked up and made a noise in game). Basically it's a 'be dumb be dead' game.

GothPunk

If I have a PC that can run this just fine and also own a PS4, is the PC version the one to get?
The only advantage to the PS4 version, if you have the PS4 camera that is, is that the game supports head tracking (for peeking) and noise recognition (so the Alien can react to noises coming from you IRL).

Is the game the Trial and Error fest that a lot of people/reviews mention?

Can carefull and slow approach of each situation by the player, detect and avoid danger? Or are there completely cheap deaths that you just have to go through in order for you to learn specific things to avoid, and thus progress?
With the humans and androids, it's about learning their patterns, like in most stealth games - although I think maybe on Hard they have amazing line of sight which you may learn the hard way. With the Alien, its behaviour can be quite erratic, so there is an element of trial and error to it, but in a good way - as I understand it, when you die and reload, you can't guarantee that the Alien will be in the same places and behave in the same way. It keeps you on your toes.

I've been crouch walking any time I hear the Alien and avoiding it as much as I can and I haven't died at its hands yet (Hard difficulty btw). I've been playing with a 5.1 surround sound headset and it really makes a difference - I have a general idea of where the Alien is by listening out for thuds, hisses, rumbles etc. Watch out for Xeno drool coming from overhead vents. Don't run. Use your gadgets. From reading this thread I have come to realise that there have been many places where others have died that I didn't even know the Alien was around. Knowing that I could have died if I wasn't being so careful kinda scares me even more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I broke the game in chapter eight:

Fluid Processing Area in the synthetics level:

There were some humans up a ladder on the far end of the room with all the machinery. They shot at me, but I think the alien may have sweeped one or two of them up. I didn't see it and it was hard to hear, but when I snuck up the ladder there was only one guy to easily jack to death. I walked around the upper levels and found a lone person aiming their gun at the wall. Dealt with her. Free reign of the top level, a no fuss path to the elevator. I didn't explore the bottom-level at all.

Did I skip something, or is fluids processing really that straight forward?

Played some more yesterday on my PC.

It's official -- this game has the best lighting of any game to date. The volume lighting is simply amazing! Game also has some of the best SSS shaders I've seen on in-game characters (not just cut scenes). Only Shadow of Mordor can match but even then, the Orcs don't have SSS when you are just walking around and fighting. Maybe that's why the game is only 30FPS on the consoles.

valkyre

The only advantage to the PS4 version, if you have the PS4 camera that is, is that the game supports head tracking (for peeking) and noise recognition (so the Alien can react to noises coming from you IRL).

With the humans and androids, it's about learning their patterns, like in most stealth games - although I think maybe on Hard they have amazing line of sight which you may learn the hard way. With the Alien, its behaviour can be quite erratic, so there is an element of trial and error to it, but in a good way - as I understand it, when you die and reload, you can't guarantee that the Alien will be in the same places and behave in the same way. It keeps you on your toes.

I've been crouch walking any time I hear the Alien and avoiding it as much as I can and I haven't died at its hands yet (Hard difficulty btw). I've been playing with a 5.1 surround sound headset and it really makes a difference - I have a general idea of where the Alien is by listening out for thuds, hisses, rumbles etc. Watch out for Xeno drool coming from overhead vents. Don't run. Use your gadgets. From reading this thread I have come to realise that there have been many places where others have died that I didn't even know the Alien was around. Knowing that I could have died if I wasn't being so careful kinda scares me even more.

Υour post might have just sold me the game. :)

Thanks!

xBladeM6x

The crashing seems to happen when reloading the revolver. It's not constant, but it's the only time I've noticed it's happened.

HelloMeow

Question: What in the fuck is this Alien doing? I'm just (for science) spending 20 minutes sneaking around in an area, always dodging the alien, just to see what the hell it is doing.

It just walks around this single area on a huge ship, somehow always knowing what particular area of the map I am in, like the alien and ripley have a telepathic connection. Then it goes into the vents for a second and jumps back down to patrol the hallways. There must be other people making more noise in other areas, why does it stick around to this area for 20 minutes? And then why does it do the same thing when I move on to the next part? What a dork.

It can smell your fear.

I'm up to the tech lab, it's taken me hours to get there because I'm a fucking pussy, if this game takes people 15 hours to beat it's going to take me 40, the sprint button may as well not be in the game, because I'm checking every fucking corner and under desks and shit because it may just be taking a nap under one.

I'm up to the Tech Lab...I'm close aren't I? I can hear it in the vents.

strafer

I'm up to the tech lab, it's taken me hours to get there because I'm a fucking pussy, if this game takes people 15 hours to beat it's going to take me 40, the sprint button may as well not be in the game, because I'm checking every fucking corner and under desks and shit because it may just be taking a nap under one.

You are so me, I'm not going to rush through this.

No I'm just waiting for the darkness to come so I can play.

lunchtoast

I played about an hour of this game last night (PC) and so far I think it looks fantastic. I love the use of lighting. I've been spending a lot of time looking at all the small details because I love the alien aesthetic.

I loved the
crayon drawing of the alien in the bar

todahawk

ps4 digital and I still can't play past the bridge of the Torrens. keep getting 'required content not available yet'. deleted and restarted the download last night before bed and check it this morning. again, like before it says it's done and installed but the download size only shows 15gb/20gb. In game at the menu it was showing 80% download progress when i tab over Crew Expendable or Survivor mode and in the last hour it's now showing 82%. Anyone else run into trouble?

edit: leaving it at the title screen it's now up to 86%, bizarre that it did nothing during the day yesterday to finish.

Man, this game is fucking intense. Kind of new to Horror games; only recently got into playing them over the last couple of years but I've finished Amnesia and Outlast without too much difficulty.

But this is on another level. I think the stunning graphics coupled with the utterly incredbile sound design and ruthless Alien AI put this head and shoulders above every survival horror I've played.

I'm playing Crew Expendable and actually have it paused because I'm too scared to go into the vents...

Bravo Creative Assembly/SEGA

Astral

It took me almost 4 hours last night to reach the chapter where I believe you encounter the alien. I was just so lost in the atmosphere. It's amazing. I also died a few times against brie humans and androids. So far the game isn't very scary save a few jump scares. Its very tense though. Fuck those androids. The way they just speedwalk towards you is so fucking creepy. It gives me chills.

xBladeM6x

keep-calm-because-you-re-already-dead.png

Astral

By the way, how do you hold your breath in a locker? I was pressing buttons but couldn't tell if I was holding it or not.

CivRab

Been playing on hard, he wont leave me alone ima just go for it
need that keycard shoulda checked the room numbers first?!

Fucking IGN how is this game a 5.9

Daximuss

I played this last night for about three hours and I have to commend Sega on capturing the feel of the original Alien movie's atmosphere and overall vibe.
The fact that I feel so immersed when I'm playing through Alien Isolation, is attributed to both,the remarkable in game audio and downright spooky as hell atmosphere.

I'm at chapter three in the story and so far I'm very happy with this game.

I do hope that Sega corrects the frame hiccups in the cut scenes, though. They are painful to watch.

So for the people who've played the game and who are already familiar with the history of Alien video games, this is pretty much the definitive Alien video game, wouldn't you say?

Yep, so far, I mean.

Look it might be too long for people who are so hardcore bro tough and trying to finish this game before a deadline.

The thing is... I'm shit scared, this is exactly, what I wanted out of a survival horror game, and out of an Aliens game.

I do still want a good Aliens Marine shooter, but this aspect they have fucking nailed.

strafer

Yep, so far, I mean.

Look it might be too long for people who are so hardcore bro tough and trying to finish this game before a deadline.

The thing is... I'm shit scared, this is exactly, what I wanted out of a survival horror game, and out of an Aliens game.

I do still want a good Aliens Marine shooter, but this aspect they have fucking nailed.

This is good enough for me in terms of the Marine campaign.

My favorite of the bunch.

Aliens_vs._Predator_2_Box_Cover.jpg

Lime

AvP 1 (rebellion) and 2 (Monolith) were really good, but they were still Aliens, i.e. Vietnam in Space. This game is actually Alien 1 in terms of mechanics and power and the perception of the Alien.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is good enough for me in terms of the Marine campaign.

My favorite of the bunch.

Aliens_vs._Predator_2_Box_Cover.jpg

Yes. The human campaign in AvP 2 was flipping brilliant.

In-fact the entire 3-part campaign stories of all 3 species was very well done.

Moff

overall AVP2 is the better game. but the marine campaign in AVP 1 was incredibly tense. extremely dark and atmospheric, I rarely was so scared playing a game.

So for the people who've played the game and who are already familiar with the history of Alien video games, this is pretty much the definitive Alien video game, wouldn't you say?
Yes. Although the original two AVP games are legitimately good. I was more scared playing the marine campaign of AVP1 on Director's Cut than I am playing A:I. Although it also has more moments of release (because you're armed to the teeth), whereas A:I is constantly tense.

Drewfonse

Still waiting on my Xbox One copy to arrive, Any day now. Can someone who is playing the One's version allay my Digital Foundry induced anxiety about its graphics?

Just say something nice about it. I won't know if you're lying.

derFeef

How's the sound in this game? Good?

Specifically headphones and surround sound speaker setups.

Molto bene!

Still waiting on my Xbox One copy to arrive, Any day now. Can someone who is playing the One's version allay my Digital Foundry induced anxiety about its graphics?

Just say something nice about it. I won't know if you're lying.

Played 3 hours last night. Despite the cutscene issues - the game is sharp (1080p) but lacks AA. From what I read it's on par with the PS4 version but has some framerate problems during gameplay - but I have not yet encountered those.

I got to the alien reveal last night and freaked out while waiting for the
slow as hell tram
. Got to the save point and just could not continue.

Moff

I got to the alien reveal last night and freaked out while waiting for the
slow as hell tram
. Got to the save point and just could not continue.

the sound and music in this scene is so damn tense, the alien probably cant even appear in that scene but I was just cowering in the corner and looking from left to right all the time. this game with headphones is really something.

derFeef

the sound and music in this scene is so damn tense, the alien probably cant even appear in that scene but I was just cowering in the corner and looking from left to right all the time. this game with headphones is really something.

I did not dare to look back, haha.

valkyre

I know you are hunted by the Alien constantly, but are there any exploration elements in this game? Secret areas/staches, logs things to find out, you know the kind of immerssive side material that adds to a title's value?

Gruso

It can!
The first time I got onto the transport, I didn't know what to press to get moving. So I lingered for a few seconds, then turned around to see it coming in the door at speed. No no no no no no no dead. So good.
I know you are hunted by the Alein constantly, but are there any exploration elements in this game? Secret areas/staches, logs things to find out, you know the kind of immerssive side material that adds to a title's value?
Yep. All of that in spades.

derFeef

I know you are hunted by the Alien constantly, but are there any exploration elements in this game? Secret areas/staches, logs things to find out, you know the kind of immerssive side material that adds to a title's value?

Yes, it's all there for you to explore, if you dare :)

Gruso

I'm now playing with the music off. The score is very well done, but I prefer all the tension to come from the game environment itself. So far I'm not regretting it.

Top Bottom