• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get over how fucking bold this game is. Like, seeing so much money poured into something that's so unafraid to complete fuck with its audience hardly ever happens nowadays. Major props to Sega and CA.

I'm mid-way into Chapter 6. Just found a keycard behind a keypad... video games.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
At this point when I walk around a corner and the Alien is standing right in front of me. I don't run I'm just like...

alien4.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is exactly what I'm planning on doing, play this at night with headphones.

No way im doing it during the day. Fuck that shit.

It's like pissing into the wind.

I might try during the day with the curtains closed. At night I'd risk waking the house :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Are smoke bombs, noise makers, flashbangs and the like worth using on the Xeno, or are they really just for humans? The androids seemed to shrug off flashbangs. :(

Trickster

Are smoke bombs, noise makers, flashbangs and the like worth using on the Xeno, or are they really just for humans? The androids seemed to shrug off flashbangs. :(

Noise makers are great for getting the alien to go where you want it to go, and stay there for a short time. Can make it much easier to slip past it

You didn't miss much.

Watched the Assembly Cut with the lady last night. With expectations checked, it was ok. I really liked some of the changes that particular cut had, and I appreciate the time it takes to ramp up. The cgi of some of the xeno shots are still abysmal, though. Yikes.

Alien - Amazing
Aliens - Amazing
Alien 3..depends on the cut, it's decent I guess
Alien Resurrection...fucking, god it's so bad, my soul.

Prometheus, fuck this movie, what a piece of shit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm out of chapter six. I'm alive. Good fucking god. I need a break. That's enough for now.

I'm really, really loving this game.

Alien - Amazing
Aliens - Amazing

Prometheus to be fair was at least better than Resurrection just based on the visuals.

frontovik

Banned
I'm out of chapter six. I'm alive. Good fucking god. I need a break. That's enough for now.

I'm really, really loving this game.

Great, I'm stuck in chapter six:
I finished viewing the audiovisual log of the doctor and patient zero, and I'm trapped in the room while the Alien constantly patrols the hallway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Great, I'm stuck in chapter six:
I finished viewing the audiovisual log of the doctor and patient zero, and I'm trapped in the room while the Alien constantly patrols the hallway.

(Chapter 6)
You have to sneak out a little and trigger the explosion outside the room. If the Alien is constantly pacing to the right, you need to go out and briefly and then hide to goad it away from that spot. It's a bit of a weird scenario.

EGM1966

Loving it so far. Great handling of pace so far and great introduction of the alien.

Now if I could just improve my sneaking skills.

Actually love the save system so far too - will see how that goes in the long run.

Tonally though it's superb and the artistic direction is mind blowing in its commitment to Scott's original vision.

Best Alien game for me so far.

EGM1966

PS4 here, anyone suffering MAJOR stuttering on the video footage but ingame smooth as a babies arse?
Cutscenes stutter on and off for me but gameplay has been 100% smooth so far. It's a curious flaw and one I hope they patch. Surprised how it slipped through to be honest.

derFeef

Cutscenes stutter on and off for me but gameplay has been 100% smooth so far. It's a curious flaw and one I hope they patch. Surprised how it slipped through to be honest.

I got a major Gears of War backflash with that, man those cutscenes were running at like 15fps back then.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Huh .. I thought that might be something specific to PS3/360 because they're using choppy video (like Wolfenstein etc).

Surprised its across the board. Are the cut-scenes in PS4/XB1 real time or video files, if anyone can confirm ?

Divius

Question: What in the fuck is this Alien doing? I'm just (for science) spending 20 minutes sneaking around in an area, always dodging the alien, just to see what the hell it is doing.

It just walks around this single area on a huge ship, somehow always knowing what particular area of the map I am in, like the alien and ripley have a telepathic connection. Then it goes into the vents for a second and jumps back down to patrol the hallways. There must be other people making more noise in other areas, why does it stick around to this area for 20 minutes? And then why does it do the same thing when I move on to the next part? What a dork.

derFeef

Question: What in the fuck is this Alien doing? I'm just (for science) spending 20 minutes sneaking around in an area, always dodging the alien, just to see what the hell it is doing.

It just walks around this single area on a huge ship, somehow always knowing what particular area of the map I am in, like the alien and ripley have a telepathic connection. There must be other people making more noise in other areas, why does it stick around to this area for 20 minutes? And then why does it do the same thing when I move on to the next part? What a dork.

Patrick Klepek said it the best, it's just like in Jaws 4 - the monster really likes you ;)

It just walks around this single area on a huge ship, somehow always knowing what particular area of the map I am in, like the alien and ripley have a telepathic connection. There must be other people making more noise in other areas, why does it stick around to this area for 20 minutes? And then why does it do the same thing when I move on to the next part? What a dork.

I think the simple answer to your question is "videogames."

Scoot2005

Banned
I had that happen too, except I could actually hit them.

That side room with the sleeping androids next to comms had a glitch I noticed. I tried hiding in one of the lockers next to one of them, and one of the androids teleported out of their pod and threw me out of the locker. Afterwards he wasn't hostile and I couldn't damage him at all.

I also had the Alien stuck on a corner sprinting at me for a good 20 seconds until I looked away and got insta-killed. I'm gonna try and highlight it off of my twitch stream.

Edit: This game has it's moments.

I had the android bit happen to me as well. PS4 here. I was pretty drunk and just stood and stared at it for a while afterwards. It just stared at the corner like the dude from The Blair Witch.

Edit - Also, had anyone else pretty played the entire thing sneaking? I did right when I got to the station. It was slow going lol.

EGM1966

It just walks around this single area on a huge ship, somehow always knowing what particular area of the map I am in, like the alien and ripley have a telepathic connection. Then it goes into the vents for a second and jumps back down to patrol the hallways. There must be other people making more noise in other areas, why does it stick around to this area for 20 minutes? And then why does it do the same thing when I move on to the next part? What a dork.

It's a videogame?

I mean you might as well as why after it attacked Brett did it wait for Dallas to come after it before hunting anyone else? Why did it stay out of the way for ages until Ripley, Parker and Lambert try to evacuate? Why with the whole of the Nostromo to chose from to hole up in did it decide to enter the Narcissus shuttle?

EDIT : Beaten

frontovik

Banned
(Chapter 6)
You have to sneak out a little and trigger the explosion outside the room. If the Alien is constantly pacing to the right, you need to go out and briefly and then hide to goad it away from that spot. It's a bit of a weird scenario.

Thank you.
I've reached the part where I activated the emergency system and have to escape through medical reception. I've encountered the alien in the room that was rigged by explosives, but I'm stuck near the dental office.

Game looks amazing, but I heard the game is filled with fillers. Is it bad? I rather have a short and awesome experience than a loooong repetitive journey.

Jobbs

Banned
Alien - Amazing
Aliens - Amazing

I'm with you except Prometheus, which I liked a lot.

I don't like Alien 3 at all, but I both haven't seen it in a long time and haven't seen the Assembly Cut.

Daffy Duck

I'm intrigued by this, seems right up my alley, but I am put off with what I read in the DF face off for the PS4 version, is it off putting with all the little niggles and judders?

Mik3F

For those having issues with the DLC, I have just downloaded both Lone Survivor and Crew Expandable from the UK PS store. May be worth trying again now

Going to start the game later tonight when it gets dark and my 12 year old lad is watching

valkyre

Ok I am really in the mood for this game, but I have one question that really wish someone could clarify.

Is the game the Trial and Error fest that a lot of people/reviews mention?

Can carefull and slow approach of each situation by the player, detect and avoid danger? Or are there completely cheap deaths that you just have to go through in order for you to learn specific things to avoid, and thus progress?

If the alien behavior was "realistic" you barely would encounter him in all the game. As you say the ship is huge, the probabilities for him to go exactly to the area where you are without him knowing your position are too low. Once he loses track of you and then you go to a different part of the station, he wouldn't be able to find you again.

Top Bottom