• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

xBladeM6x

I had been playing on normal speakers, and it was tense, but cool. I put on my 7.1 headset and I ended up looking behind me IRL a couple of times, just because I felt like something was creeping up to me. Fuck this game and it's uber tense bullshit. Lol

strafer

I'm now playing with the music off. The score is very well done, but I prefer all the tension to come from the game environment itself. So far I'm not regretting it.

Hmm, good idea, maybe it's easier to hear things then too.

I might try it out.

Begaria

Ha! CAD did a pretty good one today:

cad-20141008-fe6ff.png

Astral

It can!
The first time I got onto the transport, I didn't know what to press to get moving. So I lingered for a few seconds, then turned around to see it coming in the door at speed. No no no no no no no dead. So good.
Yep. All of that in spades.

No way! This whole time I wasn't too afraid because I spoiled the first appearance of the alien for myself and didn't think I'd be in danger until then. I wonder where else it can kill you.

Guerrilla

Ok so I just got the flamethrower, can anyone tell me how far in I am?

Up until now this game has been amazing! Everything I could've hoped for. Sound is amazing (Good surround sound mixing finally yay!), Graphics are awesome(The aliasing is far less bad than I thought) and the atmosphere, oh man the atmosphere.

I would guess I'm half way through? Right now this game is far from overstaying it's welcome...

Divius

Man, I finally get past a part after 20 minutes of trial and error and the game crashes before I can save, that is just great. The game seems to think it is fun to keep spawning the alien in front me when I am in a narrow corridor.

Beckx

Is the framerate different for cutscenes (PS4)? There was something about the presentation bothering me when I started it last night, but only in that first cutscene. Gameplay was fine.

Guerrilla

Is the framerate different for cutscenes (PS4)? There was something about the presentation bothering me when I started it last night, but only in that first cutscene. Gameplay was fine.

yes, the framerates off a little in cutscenes on x1 and ps4 unfortunately.

That was good. I'm glad I didn't play Colonial Marines.

I bought it for 1.99 and I played through the whole thing, granted that was after it was "fixed" but it wasn't half bad by then. I kind of wish I got to see the original product just so I could see what everyone else saw on launch.

I got to the alien reveal last night and freaked out while waiting for the
slow as hell tram
. Got to the save point and just could not continue.

That happened to me too. I then hung around looking at the interior of the transport. There was a sudden sound that almost made me crap myself and I immediately went and hit the button without looking back. Looks like I made the right decision!

Jobbs

Banned
need some advice.

ISOLATION or SHADOW OF MORDOR? only have the $$ for one :/

I have both. shadow is pretty cool but does get repetitive. it may be possible to say the same thing about alien, though, so I guess it's just a matter of which appeals to you more thematically. both are well made, and I'd argue that alien is far more compelling in terms of the level of craftsmanship and production.

Fattness

Neo Member
No way! This whole time I wasn't too afraid because I spoiled the first appearance of the alien for myself and didn't think I'd be in danger until then. I wonder where else it can kill you.

need some advice.

2 very different games but both are excellent in my opinion. If you want a fun action game with a great enemy system (aka nemesis system) go for Mordor. If you want a tense survival horror experience that will make you lose your shit, go for Alien. Either way you're gonna have a good time regardless of which game you pick.

DukeBobby

need some advice.

Both are very good games that are worthy of a purchase, but I have to give the edge to Shadow of Mordor.

However, I'm only halfway through this game so things might change.

You can't go wrong with either.

Sephzilla

Guys the atmosphere in this game is intense. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a horror aficionado by any means but this game so far feels Dead Space 1 kind of intense/constantly-on-edge. I'm not far into the game yet but
I'm past Axel's death and I got to the first full on reveal of the Alien. Can the Alien actually come out and kill you when you're waiting for the tram after Axel dies? I could hear it off in the distance and I just hid and stood still because I was fucking terrified.

Divius

On one side of the hallway: 3 guys with pistols shooting at me.
On the other side: Me hiding behind a case.

The Alien drops down in the middle and picks me. gg.

Fattness

Neo Member
Guys the atmosphere in this game is intense. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a horror aficionado by any means but this game so far feels Dead Space 1 kind of intense/constantly-on-edge. I'm not far into the game yet but
I'm past Axel's death and I got to the first full on reveal of the Alien. Can the Alien actually come out and kill you when you're waiting for the tram after Axel dies? I could hear it off in the distance and I just hid and stood still because I was fucking terrified.

Yes it can. Pretty much the alien can show up whenever it wants after you get past its initial reveal.

Sephzilla

Yes it can. Pretty much the alien can show up whenever it wants after you get past its initial reveal.

Reading this actually gave me goosebumps because
after the Axel death there were a couple of instances where I swore I heard a distant hiss or something and thought it was scripted noise just trying to mess with me

Fattness

Neo Member
Reading this actually gave me goosebumps because
after the Axel death there were a couple of instances where I swore I heard a distant hiss or something and thought it was scripted noise just trying to mess with me

Might have misunderstood where you were talking about so just to be clear
are you talking about after Axel gets pulled into the vent or after it is revealed a bit later with the cutscene and "Pefect Organism" achievement spot? It can only start showing up after that full on reveal in the cutscene where ripley hides under the desk.

Denzar

Is it okay to play the Nostromo DLC before the main game or do you guys recommend me playing it after I finished it?

Sephzilla

are you talking about after Axel gets pulled into the vent or after it is revealed a bit later with the cutscene and "Pefect Organism" achievement spot? It can only start showing up after that full on reveal in the cutscene.

I was talking about after the Axel death, not the Perfect Organism spot. I kind of figured after the Perfect Organism spot it will show up whenever. I was unsure if it can show up after Axel gets pulled into the vent, because the tram spot just after that sure makes it feel like the Alien can come after you.

DukeBobby

are you talking about after Axel gets pulled into the vent or after it is revealed a bit later with the cutscene and "Pefect Organism" achievement spot? It can only start showing up after that full on reveal in the cutscene where ripley hides under the desk.

Actually, it shows up
after you call the tram at the end of mission 2. If you wait too long before boarding it, it will get you.

Fattness

Neo Member
Is it okay to play the Nostromo DLC before the main game or do you guys recommend me playing it after I finished it?

Play the main campaign first. Nostromo throws you right into the thick of it and you will have no idea what you are doing when it comes to encounters with the Alien.

Denzar

Play the main campaign first. Nostromo throws you right into the thick of it and you will have no idea what you are doing when it comes to encounters with the Alien.

A'ight! Thanks!

Now, I can't seem to find where to play the Nostromo DLC. Activated my code on steam, booted the game up but I haven't seen the option to play that DLC.

Fattness

Neo Member
Are there more scripted events where the Xeno comes out other than the first two?

There are a few spots where it is scripted like
in medical and a few other spots later on like when you have to escape into the airlock once Waits blows that part of the station away.
and LATE GAME SPOILER
the hive.

Sephzilla

A'ight! Thanks!

Now, I can't seem to find where to play the Nostromo DLC. Activated my code on steam, booted the game up but I haven't seen the option to play that DLC.

I don't remember the menu structure but after you press start and go to play game you should get the option for Alien Isolation / Crew Expendable

Denzar

I don't remember the menu structure but after you press start and go to play game you should get the option for Alien Isolation / Crew Expendable

Isn't there... Hmmmmm.

And final question. What difficulty? Hard or Normal? What gives you the best experience?

Is hard really hard?

The Cowboy

Anyone else think the synthetics are a bit to strong compared to what we've seen of them in the movies?, i know its a game, but i really think they can take far to much punishment - when hitting them with the hammer, it feels like I'm attacking with mallet's mallet and not a big metal thing.

Anyone else think the synthetics are a bit to strong compared to what we've seen of them in the movies?, i know its a game, but i really think they can take far to much punishment - when hitting them with the hammer, it feels like I'm attacking with mallet's mallet and not a big metal thing.
I actually thought that they take about as much punishment as
Ash
in Alien does, or less, to take down. Granted any discrepancies could also be chalked up to Seegson building old-school tank androids, essentially.

I'm officially over having shit scrawled on the walls everywhere. It's important to communicate the games story and world through the environment but there isn't anything lazier than literally writing it on the fucking walls. We've gone from Half-Life 2 communicating the Combine's oppressive rule through occasional graffiti and symbols to just spraying "THESE GUYS ARE BAD" everywhere.

Aside from that I'm loving the game. Can't wait to dive back in once the sun goes down.

rashbeep

Banned
Played some more yesterday on my PC.

It's official -- this game has the best lighting of any game to date. The volume lighting is simply amazing! Game also has some of the best SSS shaders I've seen on in-game characters (not just cut scenes). Only Shadow of Mordor can match but even then, the Orcs don't have SSS when you are just walking around and fighting. Maybe that's why the game is only 30FPS on the consoles.

Agreed. The last game that made me marvel at the lighting was Doom 3.

Crouch walking. The game.

Not that I mind it though. Game oozes atmosphere out of its pores.

"Goddamn it Alien, I just want to search for candy bars in toilets! Geez."
I used to do that, now I just wait. crouch walking doesn't stop the Alien from magically knowing where you are and following you through the ducts, so I stopped bothering. I do still crouch walk around hostile humans and androids though.

yes, the framerates off a little in cutscenes on x1 and ps4 unfortunately.

A 'little off'!?!

On my PS4, running an installed and v1.01 patched disc version, the cutscenes are essentially broken as they run at what looks like 10 FPS, especially in the close ups of the faces, and stutter so badly that it makes them pretty much unwatchable. How on earth those passed quality control is a mystery but what is more puzzling is why none of the reviews, most of them based on the PS4 version, made no mention of it! What's even more baffling is that some of the cutscenes that run poorly are actually pre-rendered FMV and not realtime such as the spacewalk from the Torrens to the Sevastopol near the start! I think the ones that run really badly (10 FPS) are the realtime ones.

Not only is there an issue with the cutscenes but the game struggles to hold a smooth 30 FPS framerate, compared with something like, say, Destiny (which is also a first-person game), and can feel slightly choppy as a result. Framepacing issues perhaps? It's nowhere near as bad as the cutscenes admittedly but they both give the impression that the game has been rushed out to me. It doesn't help either that I had one CE-34878-0 crash right before the next level started and BEFORE it auto-saved. That is only the second such error I've seen for a game on my PS4 since I bought it at launch last year and I have 40+ disc games.

Seems like a decent game but, IMO, the PC version is the better version by far and runs much better (even on modest hardware according to the benchmarks I've read). I'm playing on maxed out settings downsampled from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200 with SMAA T2x on my i7-4770K, 16 GB, GTX 980, Windows 8.1 Pro PC and I've not noticed the game dipping below 60 FPS. Certainly cutscenes play fine on PC, both realtime and FMV ones.

Grisby

I used to do that, now I just wait. crouch walking doesn't stop the Alien from magically knowing where you are and following you through the ducts, so I stopped bothering. I do still crouch walk around hostile humans and androids though.
I'm constantly on the move and I've been pretty sucessful. I guess all those years of playing Splinter Cell and such has made me an aggressive stealth gamer.

gooface

Banned
Really loving this game, I die a lot on it, but I am getting better, I lowered the difficulty to medium since hard was borderline impossible with the Alien.

I'm constantly on the move and I've been pretty sucessful. I guess all those years of playing Splinter Cell and such has made me an aggressive stealth gamer.
Oh yeah, definitely. My issue is that at close distances the Alien is so unpredictable that I'd rather not stay out in the open in case he decided to turn around or whatever, and from safer distances he can't hear me walking, so I just walk.

Top Bottom