• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

CHC

This game is amazing so far, wowee. Just had the first "real" hide and seek with the Alien (
where you need to hack the elevator
). I popped my head out early and was instantly killed... Second time around I went super slow and listened to every footstep. Looked up from a railing just in time to see a tail disappear into the vent. Freaked, panicked, and sprinted for the lift. Hacked it in a total rush and jumped on just in time, never looked back.

Then winding up in the part with
all the androids that give you the bureaucratic clerk routine
is just so coldly comforting. At first it seems like you're safe but in truth it's just as sinister as the Alien. It was also very cool that they didn't place a save point right after the doors opened, the tension just kept ratcheting up.

Just such good pacing, been a while since I was so shaken by a game.

This game NEEDS to get an award for the sound design and lighting direction. Absoulutly astounding.

One thing I think would be cool but I doubt they will do is to add a Explore mode for both the Main and DLC maps. There is just so much care put into the enviroments and such that I would actually like to just explore without worrying about the Alien.

Either that or a Photo Mode lol.

Has anyone tried Survivor mode yet?

I also hope they release the score or something cause the audio work is fantastic.

This is easlily My Personal GOTY so far because of how bold it is. Bravo to CA and Sega

Grisby

This might be a little weird but I love the alien's tail. I've had it kind of corner in when I was hiding under a table. Very cool.
I want to watch the giant bomb quick look, but how spoilery is it? Looks like it'll be the start of the game?

Or should I play through the first few hours and then watch?
Dan throws a spoiler in the middle of it. It's something that you can pick up on at the beginning of the game but I don't think they directly spell it out for you.
You won't appreciate how fucking bad Brad is unless you've played those parts yourself.
He walked by two save points. You can't do that man. You're not Al Pachino listening to "Push it to the Limits".

The Cowboy

Probably been asked before but is there any way to get rid of the HP bar outside of combat in the PC version?
Unfortunately not, I'm really hoping they either patch in a disable hud option or modders find a way to remove it - It's something i really dislike. So much effort seems to have been made to generate such a great atmosphere, and its nailed it on so many levels, and yet we have a health bar and aiming dot - the game really doesn't need them.

carlsojo

In the
medical center
with the Alien... tried to distract it with the flare... forgot how to activate/throw the flare.. ended up swinging the lit flare wildly as the Alien ate my face. Too stressed to keep playing right now. >_>

shuri

Banned
I'm pretty sure the cutscenes are pre-rendered on pc too. I play on a 21:9 monitor and the cutscenes switch to 16:9 and are jiterry while the gameplay is perfectly smooth. It's hard to tell if it's a pre-rendered cutscene with all those added '80 video artefacts :p

Chiggs

Gold Member
My God, the Alien is so brain-dead on "Easy." Literally laugh-out-loud bad. You can trip over boxes, sprint down hallways, look at it dead-to-rights, and you can still win.

Do not play on "Easy."

1CKlEGN.png

The soundtrack was done by the famed Japanese composer, Nobuo Uematsu.

Mind fucking blown.
Honestly never knew this. o_O

Cutscenes are very poor: framerate drops a lot and the game stutters whenever the camera changes. Lip sync is bad.

There's an obvious input lag with the controller as well. Can get a bit annoying.

Everything else is amazing.

Haven't encountered any input lag, but yeah the pre-rendered cutscenes are janky on the PS4 version. I even deleted and reinstalled the game + patch just to make sure.

Finaika

Cutscenes are very poor: framerate drops a lot and the game stutters whenever the camera changes. Lip sync is bad.

There's an obvious input lag with the controller as well. Can get a bit annoying.

Cutscenes are jittery. Everything else is silky smooth with a minor amount of glitches here and there. Game is damn good trust me.

Could they fix the stuttering cutscenes with a patch?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The DLC is amazing, although I'm thinking of increasing the difficulty.
got it normal and the Alien is a little too oblivious imo
Could they fix the stuttering cutscenes with a patch?
Yes, and the lipsync was fixed in the day 1 patch, on PS4 anyway not sure if every version got the patch.

Norci7

My God, the Alien is so brain-dead on "Easy." Literally laugh-out-loud bad. You can trip over boxes, sprint down hallways, look at it dead-to-rights, and you can still win.

Do not play on "Easy."

So the One Shot achievement won't be that difficult after all.

Played a bit for the first time yesterday on PS4 and it looks like a decent game. However there's something unpolished about it technically. Whether it's the choppy framerate in cutscenes, or the way your character feels like she is sliding as she walks (just check out her feet when you move), the badly grainy logo 20th century fox at the beginning, or slight split second pauses when you enter a area, or the game feels like it should be able to do 60fps with these graphics too it looks like it is the kind of game that would look and perform 5x better if it come out 3 years from now on the same platforms.

Everything else is amazing.

in my 12 hours with the game so far- not one instance of input lag-

cut-scenes are def. problematic though

in my 12 hours with the game so far- not one instance of input lag-

cut-scenes are def. problematic though

Really? There's no movement input lag? Maybe I've played too much Driveclub for the day to notice it.

It's quite similar to Killzone or Battlefield's (pre-patch?) input lag. That or maybe it's the 'direction' they're going with.

Glad to hear the cutscene judder isn't just my ps4. It's really bad. The game itself, eh. I've had a few cool moments but kind of regret buying it at the moment. The alien is cool but everything involving normal enemies kind of sucks. Oh well, will stick at it.

Derpcrawler

Really? There's no movement input lag? Maybe I've played too much Driveclub for the day to notice it.

It's quite similar to Killzone or Battlefield's (pre-patch?) input lag. That or maybe it's the 'direction' they're going with.

I hear ya, playing on Xbox One, it's definitely feels very unresponsive on controller latency, just like Shadow of Mordor.

Axial

Played over an hour so far and barely scraped the surface of this game. So darn good, the atmosphere, the audio design, the lighting rendering, everything's coming together quite nicely.
Btw. from what I've read the Xeno AI can be a bit unforgiving on hard difficulty and was wondering if it's possible to change difficulty if you're halfway through the campaign?

EGM1966

This game NEEDS to get an award for the sound design and lighting direction. Absoulutly astounding.

One thing I think would be cool but I doubt they will do is to add a Explore mode for both the Main and DLC maps. There is just so much care put into the enviroments and such that I would actually like to just explore without worrying about the Alien.

Either that or a Photo Mode lol.

Has anyone tried Survivor mode yet?

I also hope they release the score or something cause the audio work is fantastic.

This is easlily My Personal GOTY so far because of how bold it is. Bravo to CA and Sega

I'd love an explore more with a photo mode. I'd also love a "set Alien to non-attack" mode associated with that too. It would be great to be able to set up fantastic tableaux with the alien in the shot.

Actually while we're wishing this game would be awesome with a mode to create mini film sequences where you can set up people and the alien and let them go about their business with you set to "invisible" so you can record both video/photo of it.

ViviOggi

I'd love an explore more with a photo mode. I'd also love a "set Alien to non-attack" mode associated with that too. It would be great to be able to set up fantastic tableaux with the alien in the shot.

Actually while we're wishing this game would be awesome with a mode to create mini film sequences where you can set up people and the alien and let them go about their business with you set to "invisible" so you can record both video/photo of it.
Screw Oculus, modders get on this

EGM1966

Is the cutscene issue just a PS4 thing or widespread? Shouldn't it be easily fixable through a patch?

Seems widespread and apparently its widespread on Xbox too. Not sure if easy to patch. I'd hope so but I have no idea if the cut-scenes are in-game or video file (I'm presuming in-game engine but could be wrong).

shiba5

Played over an hour so far and barely scraped the surface of this game. So darn good, the atmosphere, the audio design, the lighting rendering, everything's coming together quite nicely.
Btw. from what I've read the Xeno AI can be a bit unforgiving on hard difficulty and was wondering if it's possible to change difficulty if you're halfway through the campaign?

It appears you can change it on the fly, but I don't know if it resets the current mission. I will test it when I get through the level I'm on.

really considering finally picking this up this afternoon after work.
but before I do I want to know the disparity between the 3 difficuty levels. anyone who has played them what the are the differnces?

Krejlooc

Banned
They picked someone that actually looked related to Weaver. Damn.

Actually, Amanada is modeled after actress Elizabeth Inglis. She was the actress who was in the photo of old Amanda in Aliens:

qEKfnls.png

To make the actress and game model seem consistent, they used photos of Inglis when she was younger to model Amanda after.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just had my first Alien encounter. It came up behind me and just as I heard it I turned around and it was right in my face. Scary as fuck. I totally hit the share button straight away. I'm shocked it happened like this. I expected the first Alien gameplay sequence to be more of a here is the alien try to sneak past it affair. The thing really can come anytime.

Just had my first Alien encounter. It came up behind me and just as I heard it I turned around and it was right in my face. Scary as fuck. I totally hit the share button straight away. I'm shocked it happened like this. I expected the first Alien gameplay sequence to be more of a here is the alien try to sneak past it affair. The thing really can come anytime.

Damn. I'll probably freak out of my mind.

Share that video!

Scoot2005

Banned
Actually, Amanada is modeled after actress Elizabeth Inglis. She was the actress who was in the photo of old Amanda in Aliens:

qEKfnls.png

To make the actress and game model seem consistent, they used photos of Inglis when she was younger to model Amanda after.

For realzies???

Top Bottom