• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Yup! Her mom was an a big actress in her time, too.

Inglis when she was young:

l6JUz0c.jpg

Haha, stop the bs. :) That is Sigourney Weaver.

AGoodODST

I'm really enjoying this but while it might add to the tension, no check points is seriously starting to piss me off. The alien starts to stop being scary and just frustrating when your doing the same part over and over again. Especially if it kills you while your trying to fucking save.

At the very least they could have an option to use a check point system for those who want it.

Damn cheapest death ever in chapter 4.
Got past the working joes on ly way to the train. Running as i was spotted, so i didnt bother saving beforz the elevator. (Too fucking stressed out). I was in the clear when out of nowhere the alien grabs me from a vent. No warning at all. Frustrating as hell

Hah, I just got done with that part and didn't realize where I was supposed to go.
Eventually, two people get off of a shuttle and slowly walk off to who knows where and the alien comes up behind them, killing them. I watched for a moment before darting into what I hoped was the right shuttle and it was.

Not even close. Trophies go up to chapter 17 if i'm not mistaken

Wow, you're right. I misread, great!

Osahi

Well, if that happened in real life you wouldn't get a warning, Aliens are the perfect killing machine, silet and deadly.
If games would petfectly mimic real life, where would the fun be? It was a sequence that could've used a introduction. Wouldn't have minded it happening if it was later on when it was pzrfectly clear the alien us always a factor. In chapter 4, the darn thing hasn't really been introduced jet.

mxgt

Banned
Just died for the first time to the Xenomorph when heading
back to the tram after getting away from the androids
. Heard it in the vents above me and just fucking went for it, turned around and it launched right at me. Scared the shit out of me, was amazing.

Then on the way back to try again
it fucking got me from a vent as I was crawling past the androids
. Didn't expect it at all.

Game is so good.

Darvan

Question with the Crew Expendable what's up with the lady just sitting at the table coughing but etc. but no character animation at all.

So a few hours in and I have mixed feelings on the game. I love the atmosphere but...

I don't find the tools the game gives you very useful and while the environments obviously have stealth in mind the design in general doesn't feel as crafted for that kind of gameplay as it should. It feels like the stealth side of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without the combat to fall back on.

Presentation wise the animation for everything but the alien is pretty poor and while I don't consider myself strict about IQ (on PS4 btw) I can't help but feel this kind of game should look (better AA, dynamic shadows all over versus a few select instances), and perform (still getting a lot of hitches, those horrible cutscenes) better than it does. In an age where the console versions install all the data to the harddrive I don't understand how a game like this can have so many hitches. The art is the only thing that keeps this game attractive in any way.

The world has signs and banners referencing the game world but it doesn't feel as well realized as something like Bioshock.

These things said I'm still playing and enjoying the game, it just could have used a lot more polish. It could have been something magnificent and GOTY worthy if it had more polish.

Darvan

Also if you have the Playstation camera it does head tracking I haven't tried it out yet but I saw it in the options and it will use the mic so if your making noise the game AI will respond to it.

Wait, the motion tracker comes through the Dual Shock 4 speaker?! PS4 purchase confirmed. I eat that kind of extra immersion stuff up.

Alien always seems to find me. Even if I'm out of sight, it always seems to be in my area and eventually find me under a table. May need to go to normal instead of hard. Feels cheap, honestly.

Kezen

Banned
Synthetics scare the living crap out of me, they make me so uncomfortable it's hard to articulate. Their composure unsettles me greatly, the station is falling apart and they are repeating their lines as if the situation was not unusual, when they attack you they're so cold. I simply coudn't complete some tasks while they were around, I HAD to take them down (especially in the
reactor core room
. No way I could focus on anything knowing they could spot me.

In comparison the Necromorph isn't that frightening and is even pretty dumb (playing at medium setting). It's easy to send him check another area with the noise maker, sometimes he couldn't even spot me while I was standing 5-6 feet away from it.
It becomes even less intimadating when you acquire the flamethrower, in retrospect this weapon destroys the tension and should not have been there. It makes it way too easy to avoid the alien for a little while.

I finished the game after 22 hours and 39 achievements. I can honestly say this is one of the very best games I've ever played. I'm not well versed in the survival genre so I will refrain from comparing it to the pantheon but I found it to be superior to the three Dead Space games (which needless to say I've played to completion).

strafer

Synthetics scare the living crap out of me, they make me so uncomfortable it's hard to articulate. Their composure unsettles me greatly, the station is falling apart and they are repeating their lines, when they attack you they're so cold. I simply coudn't complete some tasks while they were around, I HAD to take them down (especially in the
reactor core room

In comparison the Necromorph isn't that frightening and is even pretty dumb (playing at medium setting). It's easy to send him check another area with the noise maker, sometimes he couldn't even spot me while I was standing 5-6 feet away from it.
It becomes even less intimadating when you acquire the flamethrower, in retrospect this weapon destroys the tension and should not have been there. It makes it way too easy to avoid the alien for a little while.

I finished the game after 22 hours and 39 achievements. I can honestly say this is one of the very best games I've ever played. I'm not well versed in the survival genre so I will refrain from comparing it to the pantheon but I found it to be superior to the three Dead Space games (which needless to say I've played to completion).

is the ending satisfying or does it set up for another game?

You can PM me of you dont feel like posting it.

Alien always seems to find me. Even if I'm out of sight, it always seems to be in my area and eventually find me under a table. May need to go to normal instead of hard. Feels cheap, honestly.

Yep I've been playing on normal and it feels just right. The alien seems really smart and sensitive to noise, but not frustratingly so. Only died a few times in 6 hours. Hard sounds way to unforgiving.

Salz01

Synthetics scare the living crap out of me, they make me so uncomfortable it's hard to articulate. Their composure unsettles me greatly, the station is falling apart and they are repeating their lines as if the situation was not unusual, when they attack you they're so cold. I simply coudn't complete some tasks while they were around, I HAD to take them down (especially in the
reactor core room

Damnit..... If you think it's better than dead space 2. Now I need to get it. I'm so on the fence but this now pushed me over.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 9/10 spoilers (I forget which one, don't higjlight unless you're through ten to be safe)

After the
flamethrower
, roughly how much game is left?

Ricker

Keep dying from the Alien in chapter 5....I hate when they show the objective on the map but its a place you didnt go yet,so on top of avoiding the Alien you have to find the correct route,,,and I am still not 100% sure what the tracker is showing me...there's a big 1/4 bar that moves around the radar when you turn and theres also the small line thats mostly on the to part that moves also...which one is the waypoint...?

Was watching angry joe x regular joe play this on twitch yesterday and it looked really fun x funny x shook

Will definitely get this when a price drop happens

Kezen

Banned
is the ending satisfying or does it set up for another game?
You can PM me of you dont feel like posting it.
I feel uncomfortable talking about the ending, I won't even tempt you with spoiler tags. Just know that this is a satisfying ending which does not ruin everything the player has accomplished.

Damnit..... If you think it's better than dead space 2. Now I need to get it. I'm so on the fence but this now pushed me over.
For the record I highly regard Dead Space 1 and 2. They're very polished experiences but in my opinion Alien Isolation is even superior because of its fantastic pacing and nearly unrivaled attention to detail (IMO only Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock/Infinite and Deus Ex Human Revolution come close).
The world is ironically "vivid", plenty of logs and audio messages to discover, the station is a character in itself, similar to Dead Space 2 in that regard but the latter is not quite on the same level when it comes to world building and overall consistency.

It's not perfect though, there are definitely a few weak spots and uninspired objectives, sometimes downright braindead AI, the game resorts too much to backtracking but the other side of the coin is that it makes for some very tense moments.

I can see why Isolation did not resonate with IGN and a few other outlets. It's definitely not a "designed by committee" product and for that alone it deserves to be played. Games which scream "vision" instead of "list-checking" are too rare, especially with such excellent polish and production values.

JoeFenix

To people getting surprise sniped by the Alien from vents, try to pay attention to your surroundings a bit more.

There's audio cues, slime dripping and black breath/fog coming out of the vents. It's pretty clear that walking under there isn't gonna turn out well.

Anyway, impressions time!

I have my issues with the game but overall I've really enjoying it, the first encounter with
humans
early on was questionable at best and I was bracing for the worst but the game got alot better after that.

I wish the game was a bit more open ended and less directed in terms of exploration but it's been mostly solid so far with some moments of greatness sprinkled in.

Also nice to see a modern game actually use save stations, they're plentiful enough not to be annoying but they've led to some intense moments already which is the whole point of including them so that was definitely a good design decision.

On the presentation side, I feel like I have to give major props to the sound designers, this might be one of the best sounding games ever honestly. Playing with surround sound headphones or a badass sound system is almost a requirement. So much of the tension comes from the audio that I don't think I would enjoy the game much without a proper setup. Lighting and set design are also both fantastic but the human characters really bring the presentation down a notch, not a deal breaker but it's a bit of a shame. Also not a fan of this massive input lag in the menus, what the hell is up with that?

Anyway, back to playing!

October is going to be a good month for gaming :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Keep dying from the Alien in chapter 5....I hate when they show the objective on the map but its a place you didnt go yet,so on top of avoiding the Alien you have to find the correct route,,,and I am still not 100% sure what the tracker is showing me...there's a big 1/4 bar that moves around the radar when you turn and theres also the small line thats mostly on the to part that moves also...which one is the waypoint...?
The waypoint is the little green bar around the border of the motion tracker display that acts like a compass if you stand in one place and start spinning around in circles. (Try not to do this while the Xeno is chasing you.)

Ulysses 31

At times it also seems to be teleporting around and yeah it likes to patrol the area you to need to traverse. =/

So far I've not been detected under tables and in lockers, how long are you hiding there?

At times it also seems to be teleporting around and yeah it likes to patrol the area you to need to traverse. =/

So far I've not been detected under tables and in lockers, how long are you hiding there?

Haven't been caught in a locker, but a table, 10, 15 seconds. Maybe longer. He's just doing his normal walk right up to the table.

spannicus

Motion tracker. Little white line is your waypoint. There are also numbers on the bottom left corner that range from 0 to 99. This tells you how close or far the alien is from you.

Man this is my GOTY so far. Nothing else has immersed me so much. It has its faults but in willing to deal with them cause I love the game so much.

Fattness

Neo Member
Yep I've been playing on normal and it feels just right. The alien seems really smart and sensitive to noise, but not frustratingly so. Only died a few times in 6 hours. Hard sounds way to unforgiving.

I would say that Hard is more difficult at the start but you become accustomed to it. I can see why some people got frustrated early on when playing on hard because it forces you to constantly improvise and become aware of the Alien's behavior much more quickly before he just straight up murders you. Plus finishing the game on hard was a very rewarding feeling at least to me.

Arkanius

The flamethrower

You can't kill the Alien with it, but god damnit, I feel fearless now. I once hit the fucker with it and he went away running. Next time he showed up in front of me he stayed put looking at my flamethrower and walked slowly towards me, but I still fired and he still ran.

Superb really. This game is a masterpiece

Fattness

Neo Member
The flamethrower

You can't kill the Alien with it, but god damnit, I feel fearless now. I once hit the fucker with it and he went away running. Next time he showed up in front of me he stayed put looking at my flamethrower and walked slowly towards me, but I still fired and he still ran.

Superb really. This game is a masterpiece

Just keep in mind you keep using it too much in a single encounter and he will just be stunned and not run away from you. Molotovs have much the same effect. Just don't over-use them.

Carm

Question about a Chapter 4 specific achievement and a encounter.

Achievement: Just out of Reach. For this I just can't be hit to get it correct? The androids were alerted to me once but I evaded them. What about the android lying on the ground that grabs you, does that count against the achievement, there is an item that is near him that triggers him.

Is anyone else struggling with whether to wait and get a PS4 with Alien or just bite the bullet and get the inferior PS3 version? I'm on the edge of getting the PS3 one but I recognize that if I just get a PS4 then I'll also be set for Evil Within and Outlast (something I've been dying to play).

strafer

So I've officially met the Alien now.

Also,
those androids aint no joke. Tried hitting one when they were looking at me, fucker blocked and shit.

Is anyone else struggling with whether to wait and get a PS4 with Alien or just bite the bullet and get the inferior PS3 version? I'm on the edge of getting the PS3 one but I recognize that if I just get a PS4 then I'll also be set for Evil Within and Outlast (something I've been dying to play).

If you want the better version of evil within as well, go for it. It will only make your experience better.

EGM1966

Heading into chapter 5 with no deaths yet. Only normal difficulty mind. Super tense now as starting to wonder how long my luck will last. Almost tempting to run under a vent with dripping slime and get it over with.

Speaking of which twice in chapter 4 just managed to stop myself doing just that by accident. Such an odd thrill as you slot back away from the vent and unlike most games it doesn't feel like a sure thing whether the alien will emerge or not.

The station is so well realised it's amazing.

Truant

The game gets vastly better after you get the flamethrower.

A lot of the complaints are valid; the game is amazing when it gets it right, but some early sections just drag on and on, often without the ability to checkpoit.

I think if you got the flamethrower earlier the reviews would have been even more favorable.

The medical section is by far the worst part of the game. It has the same relentless scripted alien as some of the later areas, without the means to combat it. It's probably one of the more frustrating things I've played in a long time.

Top Bottom