• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The medical section is by far the worst part of the game. It has the same relentless scripted alien as some of the later areas, without the means to combat it. It's probably one of the more frustrating things I've played in a long time.

Medical section is the most terrifying part of the game, hands down. The game gets less scary as you go on, in my opinion.

Truant

You think a Predator game of this caliber could work?

Dense jungles and stuff. This engine could do it.

Me and some friends actually discussed this, and we basically came to the conclusion that you should always be playing the Predator in a Predator game.

We did however concieve an idea for a game where the player would some sort of outcast Predator, and he would have to survive on a planet where other, more experienced elder predators were hunting him. This would give you the movement and gear of the Predator - player empowerment - but still have the tension of being hunted by one. It would be a semi-open world game in the vein of Far Cry 3, yet with a more surival horror element to it.

danwarb

The savegame system is close to perfect. There are a few technical issues with the X1 version, but the nifty use of head tracking adds something.

I'm playing it on hard mode and the Alien is still a little too easily avoided. I'm luring him out to clear rooms now. There have been no difficult spots to force trial and error gameplay. It's the best game I've played in long while. There's loads of variety in how you approach/escape encounters and it creates a fantastic atmosphere with all its little details. It's very much like Bioshock.

GrayFoxPL

You think a Predator game of this caliber could work?

Dense jungles and stuff. This engine could do it.

i4tTJmtqjB7T.gif

I'm getting some huge Dead Space 2 vibes from this game. Especially all the flicker and changing lights all over the place illuminating the environment.

Plus some of the level structure and the way the place is abandoned feels a lot like it too

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm in the medical area in chapter 5 and I swear this game is going to give me my first anxiety attack.

Only made worse that there's an achievement I want to nail in this one, too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The medical section is by far the worst part of the game. It has the same relentless scripted alien as some of the later areas, without the means to combat it. It's probably one of the more frustrating things I've played in a long time.

This is good to hear because I am at that part. He is all over me and I have to go to a series of rooms? It is crazy.

-Deimos

I'm in the medical area in chapter 5 and I swear this game is going to give me my first anxiety attack.

Only made worse that there's an achievement I want to nail in this one, too.

Shit, just made it here too and
"unlocked" the alien
. Wasn't even making any noise and the fucker runs up and grabs me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the god damn medical sections. People struggling in those areas should know that the game does a really good job of mixing up the nature of the encounters, so don't despair in the moment. :)

spannicus

Wish Morpheus was out and this game allowed you to use it. Hopefully when it does release, we get games like this to really amplify the experience. So jealous of the PC guys playing this in VR.

So, uh, what's this awesome music playing on the radio I've been standing idle next to for about 15 minutes.

First bit was a bunch of gibberish then went into some solo acoustic guitar tune that was great followed by a creepy British children's story thing then into an amazing 80s rock instrumental.

Now it's playing some catchy pop tune---and I think it just reset back to the beginning or some other speech. OK it just reset but that was 3 pretty cool tracks I'd like to know the names of if anyone can help!

..now there is a random new one with a female singer.

Zomba13

Watching the QL on Giant Bomb and I noticed Brad having to wait at some doors to load the area. I legit didn't even know that was a thing (playing the PC version, never had to wait for a door yet). That must suck if you get caught due to the game loading. Obviously elevators and trams are different as they are on a timer to arrive/set tension but a door load you could get lucky on or have to wait a while and the Alien (or something else) could get you.

Teknoman

Me and some friends actually discussed this, and we basically came to the conclusion that you should always be playing the Predator in a Predator game.

We did however concieve an idea for a game where the player would some sort of outcast Predator, and he would have to survive on a planet where other, more experienced elder predators were hunting him. This would give you the movement and gear of the Predator - player empowerment - but still have the tension of being hunted by one. It would be a semi-open world game in the vein of Far Cry 3, yet with a more surival horror element to it.

Personally i'd like another first person survival horror style game that takes after the first movie. With more ambient noise of the jungle than anything.

At any rate, PS4 version bought today. Realized I dont own Aliens Blu Ray (thought I did).

Lime

Just finished it. Best game in years for me. It's games like these that remind me of why I love video games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Another shout out to whoever was responsible for the decision to include a bunch of small little "hold button X and move Y to hack/open locks" and all that. I just love little moments like that for some reason.

I haven't enjoyed a game like this for a while. I mean, i won't speak declaratively, but in the sense that's objectively measurable right now: I'm spending more time thinking about this game while I'm not playing it -- pondering the little touches that scream "authorial intent", considering potential new strategies and so on -- than I have any big-budget game in years.

I get why some aren't into it, but it feels like some made a game just for me. I adore all the weird pointy edges.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Getting some really bullshitty deaths now, the Alien just decides to spot you when it shouldn't and then never leave until you're dead.
He can hear the motion detector. Don't use it when he's right beside your hiding place. Make sure you hold your breathe and lean back in lockers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought leaning back was holding your breath?

Either way, I have yet to be found in a locker.
I could have sworn it once told me to hold L2 and then push the stick back. I dunno.

CHC

I loved the god damn medical sections. People struggling in those areas should know that the game does a really good job of mixing up the nature of the encounters, so don't despair in the moment. :)

Yeah right on, that part was amazing! It felt so alive... I had this moment where I was spotted by the humans who opened fire on me, which in turn attracted the alien. I creeped like crazy under all the gurneys and disappeared while itn wrecked them.

The AI is awesome, just unpredictable enough to make it really intense.

shiba5

Worst game of hide and seek ever. It won't leave me alone.

Found me in the freakin locker.

It gets better. I haven't finished the game so I can't speak for all of it, but so far those first sections with the alien have been the worst. In later levels, as long as he didn't know I was around, he spent a lot of time up in the ceiling and I only saw him a few times. I haven't had to flame him yet - did flambé a human though.

Toa TAK

Banned
I could have sworn it once told me to hold L2 and then push the stick back. I dunno.

Same. Most of the tutorials for this game I didn't really read. It's not hard to figure out, though.

And can anyone tell me whether or not the Alien takes out Androids? Because that would be so great.

Lime

The game deserved a much higher Metacritic rating compared to other AAA games. I can't see why some of those reviews have been scoring so low. I acknowledge their subjective complaints if they get too annoyed by the design choices, but in relation to other games, Alien: Isolation excels in so many different ways that I wouldn't hesitate to call it a brilliant example of experimentation and execution of atmosphere in an otherwise stagnated landscape of AAA video game offerings.

Krejlooc

Banned
Some friends and I are doing a live stream of Alien Isolation tonight in 30 mins, dual streams. One of the output from our oculus rift, one of a webcam fixed to our face for reaction shots. We'll be broadcasting through twitch, through this channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/krejlooc

If anybody wants to watch us shit our pants, feel free! Just waiting for the webcam to arrive to start. The stream is already going.

NewDust

To those that have played the game,what do you think of the gamma values in this game? I've watched the giantbomb quicklook and at first though there was something wrong with their capturing... The gamma value seems way to high/blacks becoming greenish-grey. Than I looked for some other content... The same issue. Even had to make sure that tv settings weren't borked.

I know the original movie had some color grading, but nowhere to this extend. I really don't like it.

-Deimos

lol dammit died again. I also tried throwing a flare but it hit a beam and dropped right in front of me. I managed to get out of the room but it got me soon after. Third time's the charm.

Lime

I hope this game sells well financially or is at least (but most importantly) remembered historically as not only an obvious labor of love with really great examples of superb artistry and craftmanship, but also as the best Alien video game that has ever (yes, ever!) been made.

GavinUK86

Same. Most of the tutorials for this game I didn't really read. It's not hard to figure out, though.

And can anyone tell me whether or not the Alien takes out Androids? Because that would be so great.
You have to lean back and hold your breath separately. The Alien still gets you if you do both sometimes though.

No, it doesn't kill Androids. I guess it can't detect their heartbeat. The Androids do say funny shit when the Alien is next to them though.

Top Bottom