• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I don't know why people suggesting play the 17 year old Blade Runner game, rather than geeking out at a new game with these kind of graphics. JUST IMAGINE.

What you mean with "these kind of graphics"? This game is based on corridors and closed enviroments, Blade Runner will need an engine with a completely different scope. If you mean with good graphics, the Westwood game still beautiful (except the resolution) and awesome to play.

The Thing is much more in line to what this game offer. Btw, The Thing that already exist is not a bad game too

Zeliard

I don't know why people suggesting play the 17 year old Blade Runner game, rather than geeking out at a new game with these kind of graphics. JUST IMAGINE.

Probably because the Westwood Blade Runner game is fucking amazing. Not only do its visuals still hold up with its gorgeous art style and voxel-based graphics, but it has a very engaging storyline, a beautiful soundtrack, and some excellent Voight-Kampff sequences that convey the whole thematic human-android distinction or lack thereof better than either the film or the novel.

Definitely one of my favorite PC adventure games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
forgive my laziness, but does Blade Runner play well on modern PCs? is it for sale anywhere?

I really like the pacing and flow of this game. There's a great power shift dynamic always going on.

I also like how in the last third of the game
the Alien isn't scary anymore so they give you better weapons for dealing with it outright, so instead of just hiding out of necessity rather than fear they just said "fuck it, flamethrower"

forgive my laziness, but does the game play well on modern PCs? is it for sale anywhere?

It's an incredibly easy game to run. It's very well optimised.

You can always check here for the lowest digital prices. Just be wary of language restrictions from some sites
EDIT: Sorry wrong link before

Probably because the Westwood Blade Runner game is fucking amazing. Not only do its visuals still hold up with its gorgeous art style and voxel-based graphics, but it has a very engaging storyline, a beautiful soundtrack, and some excellent Voight-Kampff sequences that convey the whole thematic human-android distinction or lack thereof better than either the film or the novel.

Definitely one of my favorite PC adventure games.

So good.gif
I broke my piggy bank to get the money to buy the game and a new 2mb video card. I used to look out to the balcony of my apartment in the game, drinking whiskey and feel like a nostalgic badass

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fine, you guys got me, I'm totally getting that Blade Runner game at some point.

Varna

Just got to the point were it the
Alien
starts roaming around... Suddenly I'm looking at all the entry points that you can't interact with... This is going to be a really stressful game isn't it?

Varna

Hey, people on GAF have been touchier about even more obvious things.

Anyhow, this game is really great so far. How long has this been in development? I remember during the Colonial Marines fiasco people were lamenting the fact that there would never be a good Alien(s) game again. This thing just seem to come out of nowhere.

OK... just got to the thing I didn't know about yet... yeah, um.... god damn it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I made a sound and I
got killed.
God dammit, you guys.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the pacing and flow of this game. There's a great power shift dynamic always going on.

I also like how in the last third of the game
the Alien isn't scary anymore so they give you better weapons for dealing with it outright, so instead of just hiding out of necessity rather than fear they just said "fuck it, flamethrower"

It's an incredibly easy game to run. It's very well optimised.

You can always check here for the lowest digital prices. Just be wary of language restrictions from some sites
EDIT: Sorry wrong link before

sorry, I should have been more clear, I forgot where I was. I was referring to the Blade Runner game, but thanks for the link all the same.

the extreme drop-off on the chapter-by-chapter PS4 trophy count is hilarious

1.4% of players have finished the game

that's crazy

Jesus.

I must finish this game.

A game based on Alien 3 would likely be way more up CA's alley, looking at Alien: Isolation. You're on a prison, you have to build not just weapons, but booby traps, both for the Alien and the prisoners? Hell, throw in some RPG elements - you have to keep prisoners on your side, or risk them striking out on their own, and possibly using you as bait... or just straight up murdering you because they don't like you.

Alien 3 would be much more interesting to play than an ALIENS-esque shooter, which is roughly EVERY SHOOTER MADE SINCE 1993.

Mechanically, I am definitely in agreement with you. If they could do that, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

I just really dislike the story of Alien 3.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm sure this has been asked/mentioned before. Is it weird that the Alien has less sensory than a dog or cat?

It's like it has blinders on like a horse with a narrow vision yet it has no eyes or ears. It's fairly stupid overall too.

Where you can hide behind a crate and it walk right past you. . . when it's always been seen as having the "perfect organism" senses. In the comics it also communicated via telepathy to other Aliens too.

wk5DtIV.jpg

If they made it like that you wouldn't be able to do anything without being killed.

Jesb

Just got the game, stuck early on. Are points of interest in a map something I missed? I've gone to this area and all that's there is a ladder. Is the ! icon supposed to go away once you find something here or does that always stay on the map?

Just got the game, stuck early on. Are points of interest in a map something I missed? I've gone to this area and all that's there is a ladder. Is the ! icon supposed to go away once you find something here or does that always stay on the map?

The icon will stay there forever. The only icons that disappear are the icons of closed doors and important things like blueprint, collectibles and terminals that update your map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LhFXX2kSok

Watching this guy play the game in VR, he was doing the DLC earlier (without knowing how to play the game) and watching him essentially do all the classic horror movie victim reactions was pretty amazing.

Hiding under a desk and never coming out, getting paralyzed with fear when the monster unexpectedly shows up, turning around really quickly and firing at nothing when he hears a sound, bolting down narrow hallways at full speed in a panic, and when he did start abusing the flamethrower he felt powerful for half a second, before nonchalantly walking under a vent and getting pulled into it.

Looks stressful as fuck, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LhFXX2kSok

Watching this guy play the game in VR, he was doing the DLC earlier (without knowing how to play the game) and watching him essentially do all the classic horror movie victim reactions was pretty amazing.

Hiding under a desk and never coming out, getting paralyzed with fear when the monster unexpectedly shows up, turning around really quickly and firing at nothing when he hears a sound, bolting down narrow hallways at full speed in a panic, and when he did start abusing the flamethrower he felt powerful for half a second, before nonchalantly walking under a vent and getting pulled into it.

Looks stressful as fuck, though

I could never do this shit in VR.

Edit: How long until sales figures are out?

just passed mission number 9, the fan service in it is amazing.... favourite level so far

im kind of regretting playing this on normal instead of hard. i died a few times on mission #5 as i figured out how the alien works. since then its been cake

Tiktaalik

Sorry if this has been brought up before but is anyone else seeing weird bugs in this game.

- Came across my motion detector floating in space detached from my body
- Came across androids that I couldn't attack that ignored that I was there.
- Was unable to use my motion detector after some point in time (died after so no idea how permanent this was).

I've had this game since Tuesday, but haven't started. I need to play at night, but I've wanted to see friends and catch up on my programs first. Also, and oddly enough, I'm not feeling terribly excited for it despite loving the franchise, well most of it. It's good to see mostly positive impressions, though.

valkyre

Can the Alien hear you when you are crouching? I mean if you hear it being above you on some vent can you keep moving crouched and it will not hear you? Or everytime you hear it you stop?

Can the Alien hear you when you are crouching? I mean if you hear it being above you on some vent can you keep moving crouched and it will not hear you? Or everytime you hear it you stop?

Depends, you can for example table dance him if you walk really really slow. But, try yourself! :)

Depends what mode probably. Honestly on normal mode I just walk normally even when I hear the Alien, keep the motion tracker out and don't walk under a vent while he's in the proximity. Eventually he jumps down anyway, so I just try and cover as much ground while he's up there as I can. If I waited for silence I'd be stopping and starting all the time and waiting a LOT because he's scuttling all over the place up there constantly.

He's never jumped down right in front of me yet, outside of that first scripted time. Usually I'll get a nasty surprise when he just waltzed down a hallway when I didn't hear him jump down because it was far away.

ElTopo

Banned
Okay, holy shit, I just beat the game. Marathoned it, must have played almost 8 hours straight and another 2-3 hours straight. Just holy shit. Beat it Normal.

So, as my brain is frazzled and sleeping schedule is once again ruined, here are my thoughts:

Graphics, lore and all that. Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. It's a real love letter to the original film and the franchise.

Controls were great. Only problem I ever had was trying to reload the Revolver. When I want Ripley to reload just one round, she empties all of the bullets out and slowly loads in every bullet. Never had that problem with the Shotty.

A.I could have been better on the Humans and Synths.

Something cool I noticed, one of the Synths before it approached did the run in place thing that Ash did in the original film.

Alien A.I. was fantastic. Only complaints I would have is that sometimes I would shoot it pointblank with a Flamethrower and it would still charge at me and kill me.

The overall game:

Boy, where the fuck do I start? I think for this particular genre (the FPS run and hide/avoid the enemy horror genre, whatever you want to call it) this is easily the best of its kind. The gameplay is varied, it's intense (I'm a desentized horror kid who grew up on Italian Horror and I Spit on Your Grave and even this made me jump on time), and even when you have a great weapon the Alien is still a threat.

I'm not going to go over every single thing but these are the big problems I had with it:

I hate that part where you lose your guns. I hate that trope and the way it was done here I felt was lazy, Duke Nukem 3D and Half-Life did it better.

On that note, I absolutely HATED that part where you lose your guns and have to avoid the Synths in Hazmat suites. Took me multiple times to get through one spot, distract them, get to the computer, activate the electricity or whatever it is, and finally kill them. 3 times while I was doing this, I killed the two that I lured away with a Noisemaker and 2 more would show up and kick my ass. Bullshit I say.

This game has not 1, not 2, but 3 false climaxes. Holy shit. I think if the game ended right after purging the Hive, that would have been fine. I think the majority of gamers would have accepted that and thought "Well, that was cool. Game of the year material for sure." But no, it keeps going. And going. And going....

The spacewalk segments were completely pointless. You never fight enemies or have to avoid them. These could have been easily cutscenes.

And it's right after the Hive segment that all of the QTE's and fetch quests (Door doesn't open, go there, activate a thing, then go here, activate another thing, then go back to the door, shit hits the fan, now activate another thing, run to the door, etc). Just way too many.

Honestly, it feels like Creative was ready to ready call it a day after the Hive Purge but the bigwigs at Sega said "This is still too short, make this 3 hours longer." It really feels like that.

The game is still fun at this point but eventually you just get burned out.

Also, no vent scene. This one really surprised me. Sure, you climb through vents and if you're near an opening and the Alien is there it can climb through the vent and kill you. But not one single stage where you're in the vents and have to find your way out and worry about the Alien getting you. Once of the most iconic scenes from the film just ignored. You could make the argument that it would have been too difficult for the Devs to program the Alien A.I. to also run through vents in addition to everything else. But my solution would have been to simply have a separate stage where you start in the vents or fall in there and they have another Alien with a different A.I. pattern to chase you.

Also, didn't quite like that ending. If you've seen the Director's Cut of Aliens you know what to expect but Amanda was cocooned and woke up without a facehugger on, clearly an indication that she was facehugged. It's possible that she woke up before this happened but it's left ambiguous. And Amanda is left floating in the vacuum of space in just her spacesuit? I'm guessing there's going to be a DLC mission that explores this a bit more.

Also, those QTE's where you have to match the movement keys to the numbers or whateverthefuckitwas, that was horrible. You've never done a hacking segment like that before and they just throw that at you.

Overall, great game, 9/10. It's not perfect but the pros outweigh the cons by a mile.

Question: on Easy does the Shotgun scare away the Alien or possibly kill it?

-Deimos

So what is the correct mode of moving when it is close? Not moving or just move while crouched but very very slow (not in full crouch speed)?
It's been pretty random for me. I spend nearly the entire game in crouch and there's been times where the alien never comes out of the vents, even though I can hear him directly above me. Then there's times when it comes out of the vents for no reason and stays out despite me being extremely quiet.

I got super motion sick when playing this for the first time. Anyone else feel the same? Normally I don't get motion sick when playing games. ):

ElTopo

Banned
I got super motion sick when playing this for the first time. Anyone else feel the same? Normally I don't get motion sick when playing games. ):

Nope. Only game to ever make me motion sick was Mirror's Edge. I tried playing that again a couple months ago and almost immediately got Motion Sick.

strafer

Do Xenomorphs have any vision modes at all? I remember in the first AvP you could change to see better, but it could also be so you could see better in the dark.

I'm not that far into the game, but I'm trying to play full stealth, hard difficulty, and I need to know:

Can we get killed by the Alien while reading the terminals?
Never happened to me, but I would like to feel a little safe while reading the backstory.

This game... fuck this game. It's fucking with my mind. Feels good.

Top Bottom