• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

demolitio

So which game is scarier to those of you who have played both: Amensia: Machine for Pigs or this?

Looking to test the limit this month and hoping my heart doesn't give out. :p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just This, a million times over. I cannot remember when was the last time i played something that felt so much like a love letter to the original material. Blade Runner doesn't need a game, but if it ever gets one, please let CA do it.

There was a pretty good Blade Runner game that came out in 1997, ye might want to look into playing it.

jond76

Banned
I see a few calls for a Blade Runner game in this engine... But you know what I want to see in this fashion?

A John Carpenter's The Thing game.

I can almost see myself creeping around an abandoned Artic outpost now.... Mmmmmmmmm...

I see a few calls for a Blade Runner game in this engine... But you know what I want to see in this fashion?

I can almost see myself creeping around an abandoned Artic outpost now.... Mmmmmmmmm...

Dude, I was thinking it, and you said it. This is the only thing in the world that would make me geek out harder than A:I.

CappyHamper

Neo Member
On Mission 12 now, definitely a different kind of tense.

Much more relaxed now that I'm not being hunted by the Alien, the apeshit Androids are a nice change of pace. Now that the trauma of the the last few levels is finally over I feel a kind of catharsis. (playing on Hard)

MattyG

Banned
Is there a non lethal way to deal with humans? I'm on chapter 11 and having a tought time with them, but I want the no kill achievement,

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
And done. What a game. Unreserved recommendation for anyone on the fence.

Is there a non lethal way to deal with humans? I'm on chapter 11 and having a tought time with them, but I want the no kill achievement,
Distractions are your best bet. Don't hesitate, use smoke bombs.

Ozium

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a link to a quality LP of the Blade Runner game?

MattyG

Banned
And done. What a game. Unreserved recommendation for anyone on the fence.

Distractions are your best bet. Don't hesitate, use smoke bombs.
That's good to know. I ended up getting by it by just aggroing the synthetics and drawing them towards the humans, but your way sounds better.

Is there any way of knowing where ID tags and logs you haven't collected are? As far as I can tell the map view is limited to your current area, and that's very unfortunate.

Optional backtracking and going to certain areas before you're told to in this game are interesting ideas but there's basically nothing to support them. Overall it's in a weird place somewhere between a linear action game and an adventure game, and it's somewhat uncomfortable.

I'm sure this has been asked/mentioned before. Is it weird that the Alien has less sensory than a dog or cat?

It's like it has blinders on like a horse with a narrow vision yet it has no eyes or ears. It's fairly stupid overall too.

Where you can hide behind a crate and it walk right past you. . . when it's always been seen as having the "perfect organism" senses. In the comics it also communicated via telepathy to other Aliens too.

wk5DtIV.jpg

Berto

Just This, a million times over. I cannot remember when was the last time i played something that felt so much like a love letter to the original material. Blade Runner doesn't need a game, but if it ever gets one, please let CA do it.
There's an already great Blade Runner game made by Westwood.

I know that it's reeeeeally early for this discussion, but fuck it. What do you guys see as being the most likely outcome for a sequel or what the team does next? I'm going to run down a list of potential:

- Carry on as is, with horror but go for a unique setting. Something new that hasn't been done before in Alien mythos. Further adventures of Amanda.

- Do the ultimate Aliens adaptation. Embrace action and do what Colonial Marines didn't.

- Do a follow-up to Aliens if Newt and Hicks had lived, alternate timeline to Alien3. The thinking is that Isolation is a follow-up to Alien, so the sequel could follow up on Aliens!

- Online multi, let someone be the alien.

- Bring in Prometheus stuff. Hunted by an Engineer, a proto-alien and a trilobite? Maybe play as Shaw.

- Play as the alien in the campaign, AVP2 style.

- AVP, which honestly doesn't have to be a bad thing as great games have happened with the concept.

- Fuck it, just give me a Blade Runner game.

Yes! I was thinking that myself... would love to see their take on The Thing. One of the greatest horror films ever.

the-thing-1982.jpg

SparkTR

The Bladerunner game is already fantastic, a must play for fans of the movie.

Despite the mixed reviews i still decided to pick up this game due to me being an alien fan. And playing for about 3 hours i have to say this game is great. Not as good as AvP 2 but it's a great alien game. Us alien fans deserved a good alien game for a long time and I think we finally got one. My only complain is that the frame rate feels "unstable" in the ps4 version (which is the version i own). Especially during cut-scenes. But i hear the PC version run flawless with 60+ fps. I wonder if the PS4 versions framerate can be fixed via patch or even allow 60 fps. I find it funny because almost all the time its the PC version which gets the inferior port but this time it was flipped haha. I guess PC fans deserved it after getting mediocre ports of console games for years.

I want CA to do:

A sequel to The Thing... maybe entitled THE THINGS.

Or a sequel to Aliens and write Alien 3 out of existence. I dislike Alien 3. But definitely an Aliens game in that vein. Maybe Amanda in Aliens mode.

I'm not terribly far into it, but this game is tense.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling this game is going to be one of those games that builds up a real following over the next few years. As more and more people make it through the game and spread the word, obviously. I was constantly impressed.

In terms of encounters with enemies, how does this game roughly split it (in terms of a ratio) with the Alien, humans, and synthetics?

Like, is it a 1:3:4 mix or something? If you're dealing with the Alien most of the time, it must get exhausting.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of encounters with enemies, how does this game roughly split it (in terms of a ratio) with the Alien, humans, and synthetics?

Like, is it a 1:3:4 mix or something? If you're dealing with the Alien most of the time, it must get exhausting.

I'll tag this to let the spoiler conscious avoid if they'd like:

Basically, you go through "phases" with the Alien. There are long stretches where the Alien either isn't present or spends most of his time in the vents. The game does a pretty good job of mixing up the moment-to-moment scenario design. If you sum up the non-consecutive time you spend with the Alien in "stalk-mode", you probably spend roughly half the game dealing with it.

Carm

So I spoke to soon earlier, ended up having to use a EMP in mission 8 and kill a android, right before getting a tool. It almost seemed like I basically had no choice but to kill it, otherwise it would have kept following since I didn't see any vents near by.

In mission 10, I ran into an NPC that gave me the passcode 0482 for a Transit Office. Reloadiing the save right before the NPC, I check my logs and it was already listed, so my question is, where is the Transit Office? I'm pretty sure I probably used the code already but just don't remember.

In mission 10 there is either a scripted ambush or I just got lucky. Ran into the Alien and got bummed rush BUT I survived for some reason. Alien left, then I went into the next room, and bam out it came from a vent outside. I was feeling brave so I pulled out the trusty flamethrower and it was running towards me, I litt it up. Feeling proud of that, I noticed all of a sudden, I couldn't move and then the Alien crawled from the right side of the screen and killed me heh.

So, my first time ever using the flamethrower set it on fire but, it didn't seem to care heh.

I'll tag this to let the spoiler conscious avoid if they'd like:

Basically, you go through "phases" with the Alien. There are long stretches where the Alien either isn't present or spends most of his time in the vents. The game does a pretty good job of mixing up the moment-to-moment scenario design. If you sum up the non-consecutive time you spend with the Alien in "stalk-mode", you probably spend roughly half the game dealing with it.

Thanks! That helps. I like knowing stuff like this when playing horror games. I guess it just helps me adjust.

YT2bv5a.jpg

Alien Isolation has that same pet peeve that I have with a lot of games... the supply boxes never fully open.

It's a phenomenon you also see in games like the Bioshock series and Dead Island.

Whenever you go up to a box that contains supplies you need, you just crack it barely two inches, not enough to actually see anything inside, and then the HUD comes up and you automatically take whatever's inside. I always find that really disappointing and it takes me out of the world. Why can't your character actually fully open the box and see the physical items inside it before selecting what to take? None of this slightly open box nonsense.

Grisby

Just got through a sequence where the framerate took a big hit. Too much molotov cocktail use on my part I guess and too many enemies.
SPOILERS FOR THE LATTER HALF OF THE GAME:
Samuels, I'm sorry I've thought you were gonna be evil. I miss you already bruh.
I know. Just got past that part myself and thought the same thing.
Man getting the
flamethrower is possibly the most satisfying thing. Get the fuck back in that vent.
I think I let out some crazy roar sound the first time I used it. Very satisfying and the trophy popped at the same time.

AmyS

Been playing some Crew Expendable tonight. This and the main game are scary as fuck.
Can only play in 720p or 1080i right now cause I'm at a friend's house, their older HDTV and all, but I'm loving this game so far.

Bravo Creative Assembly/SEGA.

9.0 / 10

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Saw someone mention blade runner way back in the thread, anyone else see the paper unicorn straight outta the movie? Then again they may have been referring to that so IDK.

Well, just about to enter medical. Only part that gave me trouble thus far was
those damned humans following the grabbing the hacking device.
The guy who patrols that small room kept catching me, and finally decided to just book it past him when for once he left the pathway wide-open.

Good place to stop now I think. Been a long day for me to start entertaining mouthy.

Edit: Only issues I have thus far has been the godawful framerate in the cutscenes and something that seems to be screen tearing (not used to screen tearing in games other than Titanfall, and that's what it looks like).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the extreme drop-off on the chapter-by-chapter PS4 trophy count is hilarious

1.4% of players have finished the game

that's crazy

I actually managed to outrun this motherfucker!

grabbed the trauma kit, trying to head through medical to get to the elevator. Pop out of the Emergency Bay (I think?) JUST as the alien comes uncoiling out from the ceiling. It sees me. I see it. It pauses. I FUCKING BAIL for the door.

Saved by the cutscene

LowParry

I think these types of games are just not for me. There's too much of the trial and error aspect. I have huge appreciation for it but it's just not for me. So instead, I'll watch the wife play the game since she's more into the survivor type of games. She'll continue where I left off and proceed with Hard Mode scaryshitinmyfaceohmygodohmygodgameoverman! I failed you GAF. :(

shiba5

But you know what does fully open? The xenomorph's mouth right before it eats your face.

Haha, I was just going to comment about how he might not want to spend too much time opening boxes and carefully selecting the contents. The alien waits for no one.

Squishy3

Yeah, a The Thing game would make more sense as Cyberpunk 2077 will probably deliver the closest thing to a Blade Runner experience that isn't the awesome old Blade Runner game.

Btw, fuck the Working Joe
that was laying in the middle of the floor in the large room
near the end of Ch.4. Thought the Alien had jumped me and gave me a near heart attack.

thumb

Banned
YT2bv5a.jpg

Alien Isolation has that same pet peeve that I have with a lot of games... the supply boxes never fully open.

It's a phenomenon you also see in games like the Bioshock series and Dead Island.

Whenever you go up to a box that contains supplies you need, you just crack it barely two inches, not enough to actually see anything inside, and then the HUD comes up and you automatically take whatever's inside. I always find that really disappointing and it takes me out of the world. Why can't your character actually fully open the box and see the physical items inside it before selecting what to take? None of this slightly open box nonsense.

My guess is that they save a little processing power by never rendering the items individually or the internals of the container.

Or a sequel to Aliens and write Alien 3 out of existence. I dislike Alien 3. But definitely an Aliens game in that vein. Maybe Amanda in Aliens mode.

I'm not terribly far into it, but this game is tense.

A game based on Alien 3 would likely be way more up CA's alley, looking at Alien: Isolation. You're on a prison, you have to build not just weapons, but booby traps, both for the Alien and the prisoners? Hell, throw in some RPG elements - you have to keep prisoners on your side, or risk them striking out on their own, and possibly using you as bait... or just straight up murdering you because they don't like you.

Alien 3 would be much more interesting to play than an ALIENS-esque shooter, which is roughly EVERY SHOOTER MADE SINCE 1993.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why people suggesting play the 17 year old Blade Runner game, rather than geeking out at a new game with these kind of graphics. JUST IMAGINE.

Top Bottom