• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Toa TAK

Banned
(ch7) rip
requisitions android
SLx19c3.gif

The only one who didn't try to stalk me outright.

NOW THEY'RE ALL trying to kill on sight! Wtf. The whole station has gone HAL 9000 on me.

Bumhead

Banned
Got chased down by a synthetic.

Escaped through the vents and ended up in a small room. Took a second to catch my bearings. Out of the corner of my vision, I saw the vent open and what I thought was the synthetic crawl through. Absolutely shit myself and just ran for it through the rest of the level.

One of the scariest things I've ever seen in a videogame. Happened so fast and so quickly I'm starting to second guess myself if that's even what happened. The Working Joe's can do that, right? (Playing on hard)

Not even seen the Alien yet and I'm a wreck.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I really want to enjoy this game, but I'm literally at the first point in the game where there are roaming enemies and I find it needlessly, pointlessly frustrating. I've died about five times on the first room (where you pick up the Security Tuner) and I'm really rapidly losing interest in progressing.

I made it to this section last night. The first time you're seen as you walk up the stairs I gapped it back down and into the first vent. I waited and waited but nothing. I eventually snuck back up and no one was around despite all the AIs commotion alerting her friends I was there. Obviously once I got the tuner things changed. Died the first time, second time I tried to sneak around and managed to sneak up and kill one guy guarding near the the door as he turned to face me. Once I got into the next area and realised the Alien was about I reloaded because I wanted to go all Splinter Cell-y in this game and try to complete it as stealthy as possible with no kills.

Ricker

Got chased down by a synthetic.

Escaped through the vents and ended up in a small room. Took a second to catch my bearings. Out of the corner of my vision, I saw the vent open and what I thought was the synthetic crawl through. Absolutely shit myself and just ran for it through the rest of the level.

One of the scariest things I've ever seen in a videogame. Happened so fast and so quickly I'm starting to second guess myself if that's even what happened. The Working Joe's can do that, right? (Playing on hard)

Not even seen the Alien yet and I'm a wreck.

I guess so...never happened to me though and I have been chased a few times by them but managed to escape...the Alien though,yeah...

Birathen

Ive watched a few streams aaand.. As tempted as I am to buy this.. There is no way I would be able to make myself get past the main menu. I couldnt play Amnesia, I still havent played that horror game on ps4 you got from plus. But Alien looks so good.

Maybe if I force my fiance to sit with me but haah, she'll think Im nuts if I tell her Im too scared to play a game :p

Seanspeed

Banned
I couldnt play Amnesia, I still havent played that horror game on ps4 you got from plus. But Alien looks so good.
If you couldn't play Amnesia, I doubt you could play this. Very similar fear factor levels.

I'm only able to play this for short periods of time. My nerves just need a break every once in a while.

CHC

Ohhhh shit, I just got the loading tip that you should listen to conversations since not all survivors are hostile....

e8vZ6Au.gif

Sorry, survivors!

bitoriginal

Fucking hell, mission 5 was ridiculous on hard, had to drop the difficulty down to medium.

If you get stuck then I recommend doing it, medium is alot easier but still poses a significant challenge. I don't tend to do that in many games but the Alien is a real motherfucker.

strafer

Had my first real tense moment, holy shit.

While in the area I was searching rooms for stuff, went into this one room, heard it drop down from the vents, I went under a table, motherfucker came right it, the music started to get tense, he growled and hissed, walked around for a while and just stood there, I was scared as shit and didn't move a muscle, he then walked out and jumped up the vent again.

But holy shit, this is the first game that made me genuine terrified of a Xenomorph.

This is without a doubt the best Alien game ever made.

Sanpei

Game is good but its not so scary for me...As an example, Dead Space was scarier than this to me...Something is missing, i dont know...I play it like an action-adventure game...I was so frightened while playing Dead Space, Silent Hill, PT etc

ElTopo

Banned
Finally got the flamethrower
Is that sequence where everything explodes and you have to hit the sprinklers necessary to trigger? I triggered it just in case but I'd like to know if there's any difference.
and yeah, pretty OP against the Alien. Got to a point where a friendly synthetic was near me and I decided to conserve some flamethrower ammo and used a Molotov, managed to hurt myself in the process, but somehow I aggro'd the synth and it promptly killed me...

The sequence on the derelict was cool but I was hoping we would see the Alien that came out of the Space Jockey. Even if it's fossilized it would be cool to see.

I assume I'm nearing the end now. Great game, just wish the A.I. on the Synth's and Humans was better.

How hard is this game on normal?

It's actually a pretty good challenge. A little trial and error but it's not too bad. Worst part is trying to navigate some times and Alien loves to hover around a specific area.

Ozium

When I first got the flamethrower I used it on him and he ran like hell into the vents... later on when I used it he backed the fuck up and I just kept aiming at him and slowly backed away...

this game...

edit: would you guys like to see CA make a Prometheus game to tie into Prometheus 2? (Not a direct tie-in game, but a marketing tie-in..) I would also love to see them do a AvP game

shiba5

Got it now. It was the one leading to the marshals office, I didn't know I had to use that working bot to clear a path.

Oh that one. That one is so hard to miss. I only knew about it because I watched someone play that level. I saw another stream where the guy was running all over but not getting close enough to the shutters to trigger them. He was getting super frustrated.

ElTopo

Banned
When I first got the flamethrower I used it on him and he ran like hell into the vents... later on when I used it he backed the fuck up and I just kept aiming at him and slowly backed away...

this game...

Are you on Normal or Hard difficulty?

Ozium

Are you on Normal or Hard difficulty?

Hard... I fired at him and backed away, and then he started to come forward and I aimed the flamethrower at him and he kind of hesitated... during this time I backed away to the elevator I needed to get to and hit the button...

Lettuce

Can you actual stop the androids?, does the EMP device shut them down completely or does it just stun them like the stun rod?

Ozium

I never got the EMP blueprints so I've never used them in the game... can I still go get them? If so, where are they?

shiba5

Can you actual stop the androids?, does the EMP device shut them down completely or does it just stun them like the stun rod?

It just stuns them so you can beat them to death. Pipebombs work really well on them and also a shotgun to the head.

I sure would love to see a wall hack/no-clip cheat so I could observe what the Alien is actually doing. I don't want this to cheat the game, just out of curiosity to see how the AI actually behaves -- sort of to "look behind the curtain" to see the mechanics of it.

I sure would love to see a wall hack/no-clip cheat so I could observe what the Alien is actually doing. I don't want this to cheat the game, just out of curiosity to see how the AI actually behaves -- sort of to "look behind the curtain" to see the mechanics of it.

Probably see nothing tbh. It's probably all just audio triggers until it needs to appear.

ElTopo

Banned
It just stuns them so you can beat them to death. Pipebombs work really well on them and also a shotgun to the head.

Takes 6 Revolver rounds to the head to kill them. The game is pretty lenient with Revolver rounds so every now and then I just shoot 'em.

Lettuce

Bummer about the EMP nor shutting down the androids competently!

Also i have only used one of the crafted counter measures the once (im on chapter 7 or 8 now) and that was because of the dum human AI not moving at all once ive alerted them so had to use the noise maker to draw them away from a door i need to get through, I just dont see the ideal situations when you could use the other counter meausre. For example when would you want to use the, Smoke bomb, flashbang, Pipe bomb and Molotov, surely if you use any of these on humans then your going to attract the attention of the Alien.....and why the hell would you EVER want to do that!!

Probably see nothing tbh. It's probably all just audio triggers until it needs to appear.

I imagine you're right. When the Alien isn't actually on the floor you can see the dot zipping around really fast on the motion tracker -- I bet that when that's happening the object isn't even in the game world and, like you said, the game is just playing audio effects.

Lettuce

Yeah thats probably right which is a shame, its happened too many times when ive got around him and move away at speed (not running) in another direction and then he seems to get to my left or right with ease.....im guessing at full pelt he is fast enough to catch up with me but just seem to much of a coincidence that he know what direction to sprint to in the vents to get in my proximity again.

It would be nice if he actual played by the real world rules but i guess that would need to much AI processing power...maybe if this game was just PC and current gen they may have been able to do that, but because of them bring it out on last gen hardware as well they need parity between all versions

Ozium

I just watched Prometheus for the first time the other day, don't quite understand what the hate is all about... It's better than Alien 3 or 4, for sure.

ElTopo

Banned
I just watched Prometheus for the first time the other day, don't quite understand what the hate is all about... It's better than Alien 3 or 4, for sure.

url-17.gif

At least watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3. If you still hate it then I don't know what to say to ya'.

Is this game worth buying? I want something to play over my fall break, and I could go for a good horror game. Is the $50 price on PC justified for a single-player horror game?

shenhaZ

Neo Member
url-17.gif

At least watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3. If you still hate it then I don't know what to say to ya'.

I've watched all the movies for the first time recently (extended versions of course)

Alien > Aliens > Isolation > Prometheus > Alien 3 > Alien 4

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is this game worth buying? I want something to play over my fall break, and I could go for a good horror game. Is the $50 price on PC justified for a single-player horror game?

GOTY so far and one of the best horror games I have ever played. It's worthy of the Alien name. Get it ASAP IMO.

thumb

Banned

There are tons of reviews out there now, streams, and lots of opinions offered in this thread. What more could you want to make a decision?

thumb

Banned
Also, prediction: They're going to offer downloadable hats for the Alien. They will be season-themed. Be hunted by the Xenomorph wearing a Santa hat!

Ozium

Also, prediction: They're going to offer downloadable hats for the Alien. They will be season-themed. Be hunted by the Xenomorph wearing a Santa hat!

If I can put them on the steam market for gaben dollars then YES

a boater plus cane will go for a high price, I know it...

I know that it's reeeeeally early for this discussion, but fuck it. What do you guys see as being the most likely outcome for a sequel or what the team does next? I'm going to run down a list of potential:

- Carry on as is, with horror but go for a unique setting. Something new that hasn't been done before in Alien mythos. Further adventures of Amanda.

- Do the ultimate Aliens adaptation. Embrace action and do what Colonial Marines didn't.

- Do a follow-up to Aliens if Newt and Hicks had lived, alternate timeline to Alien3. The thinking is that Isolation is a follow-up to Alien, so the sequel could follow up on Aliens!

- Online multi, let someone be the alien.

- Bring in Prometheus stuff. Hunted by an Engineer, a proto-alien and a trilobite? Maybe play as Shaw.

- Play as the alien in the campaign, AVP2 style.

- AVP, which honestly doesn't have to be a bad thing as great games have happened with the concept.

- Fuck it, just give me a Blade Runner game.

Landford

Banned
- Fuck it, just give me a Blade Runner game.

Just This, a million times over. I cannot remember when was the last time i played something that felt so much like a love letter to the original material. Blade Runner doesn't need a game, but if it ever gets one, please let CA do it.

Top Bottom