• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably fine... had the same issue cramming my 970 in there (and that's the main reason I'm not even going to entertain the notion of putting a 980 in there until a smaller rebranding comes along)

Keep an eye on the temp though. Airflow could be an issue

While playing games the GPU temp hits 81 C and makes a terrible whining noise. So it's probably not great. But I have no idea what temp. my old 660 hit, so I don't know how it compares.

You're probably fine... had the same issue cramming my 970 in there (and that's the main reason I'm not even going to entertain the notion of putting a 980 in there until a smaller rebranding comes along)

Keep an eye on the temp though. Airflow could be an issue

The 980 fit fine in my case after replacing the 60mm fan to a thinner one, I had absolutely no problems with it.

If you haven't already, set up a custom fan curve in MSI afterburner to keep your card cool.

79-82 is normal though for a gpu in a case so small, as well as the noise. Mine sounded like a jet taking off, had to use a headset, lol.

No need to be freaked out, it's been done before, I did a lot of stress testing and power consumption test, and I never had a problem with my EVGA SC 980.

The 980 fit fine in my case after replacing the 60mm fan to a thinner one, I had absolutely no problems with it.

If you haven't already, set up a custom fan curve in MSI afterburner to keep your card cool.

79-82 is normal though for a gpu in a case so small, as well as the noise. Mine sounded like a jet taking off, had to use a headset, lol.

No need to be freaked out, it's been done before, I did a lot of stress testing and power consumption test, and I never had a problem with my EVGA SC 980.

Whoa, you're using an overclocked 980 and it works? There's a YouTube of a guy putting an overclocked 970 in his X51 and he said his computer kept shutting down, so he had to downclock it to get it to work.

I guess my gpu temp isn't so bad, but I'm more worried about my cpu temp, which get get up to 77c on cpu demanding games like Far Cry 3.

Whoa, you're using an overclocked 980 and it works? There's a YouTube of a guy putting an overclocked 970 in his X51 and he said his computer kept shutting down, so he had to downclock it to get it to work.

I guess my gpu temp isn't so bad, but I'm more worried about my cpu temp, which get get up to 77c on cpu demanding games like Far Cry 3.

Yeah I had the x51 with the 980 for around 6 months. I bought the 980 on release and it worked.

I posted my experiences with it then starting on page 45.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=131398262#post131398262

77c for the cpu is par for the course on the x51. The stock cooler is not enough.

The most likely reason someone would have trouble with the 970 is because they probably had the x51 R1, which for some reason had a weaker power board. There has been success stories of R1's with the R2 power board having no problems with shutdowns.

carl32

Banned
I think thats only off the top model and they have stopped you selecting the 960 card for a extra £20 on the model below from what i can work out.
You could select it the other day.

So the GTX 555 is lacking for Fallout 3. What is the best card (or the top few cards) that I can buy for my Alienware X51? I have the first release version and the 330W PSU.

It has become difficult to find information online with these different release versions as well as not knowing if the information is the most up to date. So any advice would be much appreciated. I don't care whether it is a Nvidia or ATI card. I have to buy a single blower, right? Not dual fans? And I don't want to mess with replacing some power board that I have read about. Sounds like too much work. Just want something that I can stick in there with minimal hassle.

I found this list but I'm not sure if it's up to date.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CxFFHICy0ZdLqmUSJ1cbNk0N_AO_Wp9YS4kyUfCldQg/edit'

Any advice? Time is of the essence. Want to have this done by Nov.10. :)

Jawmuncher

From my recollection the 970s are a safe bet for the X51 regardless of model. So long as you don't get one of the extreme variants.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
£992? jeeez.

you can get a way more powerful pc for less. my PC was £800 (£930 with a monitor) and it has an i5-4590/16GB/R9 290.

From my recollection the 970s are a safe bet for the X51 regardless of model. So long as you don't get one of the extreme variants.

970s won't run properly in a R1 x51 due to the a weak power board in the R1.

Air dissipation is bad though... (and thus noisy)

Not all models are fitting either (form factor)

Right, overclocked cards will be too big for the X51. You'll want a "reference" style card. PNY tends to produce those. I'm using a PNY 970 in my X51 R2 with no issues.

So the GTX 555 is lacking for Fallout 3. What is the best card (or the top few cards) that I can buy for my Alienware X51? I have the first release version and the 330W PSU.

It has become difficult to find information online with these different release versions as well as not knowing if the information is the most up to date. So any advice would be much appreciated. I don't care whether it is a Nvidia or ATI card. I have to buy a single blower, right? Not dual fans? And I don't want to mess with replacing some power board that I have read about. Sounds like too much work. Just want something that I can stick in there with minimal hassle.

I found this list but I'm not sure if it's up to date.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CxFFHICy0ZdLqmUSJ1cbNk0N_AO_Wp9YS4kyUfCldQg/edit'

Any advice? Time is of the essence. Want to have this done by Nov.10. :)

That Google doc is pretty accurate. I'm going to assume that your "first release" x51 is a "R1" model. So the best card you can get right now is the Nvidia GTX 960. I recommend a 4GB ram model too, just to future proof your x51 for as long as possible. I'm not sure how well the all the overclocked cards, with their dual fans, will work/fit inside the X51. But here is "reference" style card that will definitely fit in the case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V68LMF2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

970s won't run properly in a R1 x51 due to the a weak power board in the R1.

Right, overclocked cards will be too big for the X51. You'll want a "reference" style card. PNY tends to produce those. I'm using a PNY 970 in my X51 R2 with no issues.

That Google doc is pretty accurate. I'm going to assume that your "first release" x51 is a "R1" model. So the best card you can get right now is the Nvidia GTX 960. I recommend a 4GB ram model too, just to future proof your x51 for as long as possible. I'm not sure how well the all the overclocked cards, with their dual fans, will work/fit inside the X51. But here is "reference" style card that will definitely fit in the case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V68LMF2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can be reluctant all you want but you're my hero. Thank you.

I just bought a refurbished mobo of x51 R1, is the power board just the embedded power supply on the original case? I can use my own PSU right?

Right, power board is embedded in the case. Not sure about your own PSU though, so your mileage may vary. In any case, you can purchase the 330W PSU from Dell.

You can be reluctant all you want but you're my hero. Thank you.

You're welcome! Post in the thread after you've upgraded your X51.

You're welcome! Post in the thread after you've upgraded your X51.

Will do.

Is this card basically the same just in a smaller form factor? Anything actually different other than the size? I have to get the item shipped to my mom's house in the US and then have her ship it overseas to me so smaller card means smaller box which saves money. I have had trouble finding single fan cards here.

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-1962-KR 4GB SC GAMING, Only 6.8 inches, Perfect for mITX Build Graphics Card

Vanmunt

Banned
Got an x51 R1 a couple of years ago pretty cheap.. I can confirm that a Palit 970 reference card works fantastic with the 330w PSU. However, I can also confirm you will need the R2 revised power board or it will run like a dog. Shop around and you can find the power board for as little as £50 if you are lucky! (though much cheaper in the US!) and install it along with your graphics card as its pretty simple. Then you have a great little machine under your TV and are oculus ready as well!

I'll be putting the mobo to a separate case, the mobo does accept any PSU right or are there catches?

Plenty of people have moved the r1 motherboard to a different case to use a bigger psu, so if the motherboard is working, you would connect your psu just like any other motherboard.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hey all, I am looking to upgrade/replace my ancient gpu and wanted to know if this would be fine for my R1 X51:

41AMeae6NAL._SY400_.jpg

GTX 950 SC 2GB.

If so, is there anything I would need to modify or work around? I already have the 330w PSU.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Update:

Up and running, install was easy. Updated drivers as well. My question is on temperature. At idle, I'm at 66 degrees steady. I haven't tried gaming yet. My card is slightly overclocked. Should I be concerned? Should I try and underclock to reference levels if possible? I am about to try Dirt Rally as a test...

Edit:

Everything running perfect so far. This is incredible. All 60fps. All the time. My God.

Does the R1 model support 16GBs of RAM?

I just saw a thread where a few games have recommended specs of 16GBs of RAM and since it's not too expensive of an upgrade, I might go for it.

Kezen

Banned
Update:

Up and running, install was easy. Updated drivers as well. My question is on temperature. At idle, I'm at 66 degrees steady. I haven't tried gaming yet. My card is slightly overclocked. Should I be concerned? Should I try and underclock to reference levels if possible? I am about to try Dirt Rally as a test...

Edit:

Everything running perfect so far. This is incredible. All 60fps. All the time. My God.

66 at idle is very concerning.

Xis

My current PC is getting pretty long in the tooth (AMD Phenom II x4 965 + GeForce 560 (not Ti)). The CPU fan is also dying, but that could be a cheap replacement.

I saw that the i7 / GTX960 / 2TB model of the X51 R3 is on sale on Amazon for $1079 - and it just so happens I have almost that exact amount of money in credit card reward points.

I'm super tempted - I know buying it would be a bump up for me, but how dramatic? I play a lot of Blizzard games, and I'm pretty sure I'm CPU bound in World of Warcraft (very high constant CPU usage).

Jawmuncher

My current PC is getting pretty long in the tooth (AMD Phenom II x4 965 + GeForce 560 (not Ti)). The CPU fan is also dying, but that could be a cheap replacement.

I saw that the i7 / GTX960 / 2TB model of the X51R3 is on sale on Amazon for $1079 - and it just so happens I have almost that exact amount of money in credit card reward points.

I'm super tempted - I know buying it would be a bump up for me, but how dramatic? I play a lot of Blizzard games, and I'm pretty sure I'm CPU bound in World of Warcraft (very high constant CPU usage).

$1079 seems ridiculously high for a GTX960

diffusionx

Gold Member

I saw that the i7 / GTX960 / 2TB model of the X51 R3 is on sale on Amazon for $1079 - and it just so happens I have almost that exact amount of money in credit card reward points.

It's a pretty dramatic difference, 960 is a lot more powerful than 560.

The R3 is interesting in that you can attach a graphic amplifier to it for easy gpu upgrades down the road.

brainpann

Quick question-

I have an x51 R1 with i7 3770 and a 330w psu. I want to upgrade the graphics card from the 660 installed. Ideally id like to put in a 980 but is that even possible power wise? Yes, im aware I will need to modify the fan in order for a 980 to fit.

Is a 970 my only option? Is it even an option with the x51 R1?

The more i look into this, the more I get confused.

120v

i think you'd have to switch out the motherboard with an R2. i think some people were able to get a 970 running fine without it but i dunno

there's a few videos on youtube of guys who tried putting a 970 in their R1, if i recall correctly

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Quick question-

I have an x51 R1 with i7 3770 and a 330w psu. I want to upgrade the graphics card from the 660 installed. Ideally id like to put in a 980 but is that even possible power wise? Yes, im aware I will need to modify the fan in order for a 980 to fit.

Is a 970 my only option? Is it even an option with the x51 R1?

The more i look into this, the more I get confused.

You can put a 980 in the x51 but you have to remove the fan for another smaller one.And only works with the r2(and r3 i think)

Vanmunt

Banned
I bought an X51 when the Xbox One was announced taking a gamble on the best Xbox exclusives being ported to windows, looking at this years Xbox releases all but one or two are coming over.

I put a Palit 970 reference card in last year, had some problems with it shutting down due to the R1 power board but replacing parts is pretty straight forward. When you pop the case it really is a fantastic piece of kit and with the new GPU all being power conscious the 330w PSU is getting less of a problem.

I will admit I am a fan of the small form factor pc sat under my TV being able to play games at a great FPS and high settings. I would recommend shopping around as there are some bargains to be had.

Noise level like the XBox360 at launch? No go. And even louder if you don't tweak it? Simply No.

With this money you could get gaming PCs far, far more powerful than current consoles and quieter too.

Ratrat

I bought an X51 when the Xbox One was announced taking a gamble on the best Xbox exclusives being ported to windows, looking at this years Xbox releases all but one or two are coming over.

I put a Palit 970 reference card in last year, had some problems with it shutting down due to the R1 power board but replacing parts is pretty straight forward. When you pop the case it really is a fantastic piece of kit and with the new GPU all being power conscious the 330w PSU is getting less of a problem.

I will admit I am a fan of the small form factor pc sat under my TV being able to play games at a great FPS and high settings. I would recommend shopping around as there are some bargains to be had.
You put a 970 in a R1? Is there a guide on how to do this? What parts to replace?

Vanmunt

Banned
You put a 970 in a R1? Is there a guide on how to do this? What parts to replace?

Plenty of threads and guids on the web about installation of a 970 for the X51, like I said I had problems with the power board which are pricey in the UK but are cheap in the US. The only stipulation for putting the 970 is you have to use the reference type card and have the 330w PSU.

Its really straight forward to install both the 970 and power board if you have the R1.

brainpann

Thanks for all the info. Ill see about getting a new power board from Dell.

Edit-update

So I called Dell and they are being difficult. I asked for a D85RT, which is the part number fir the R2 powerboard, and they claimed to be out of stock but say that if i give them my service tag number, they can find a compatible part-which will probably be the R1 powerboard.

Does anyone know a source or way to get this part in the US without paying ridiculous eBay prices?

What are the chances that the new "Oculus Ready" X51 powerboards fit into my R1?

Vanmunt

Banned
Thanks for all the info. Ill see about getting a new power board from Dell.

Edit-update

So I called Dell and they are being difficult. I asked for a D85RT, which is the part number fir the R2 powerboard, and they claimed to be out of stock but say that if i give them my service tag number, they can find a compatible part-which will probably be the R1 powerboard.

Does anyone know a source or way to get this part in the US without paying ridiculous eBay prices?

What are the chances that the new "Oculus Ready" X51 powerboards fit into my R1?

try computer-spare-parts if you are in the US.. they are around $60 on there..

stewapet

Neo Member
I spoke with Dell support a couple of times this week. After a couple of attempts, the last one did say that the Oculus X51 doesn't come with a 970 internally, it's for the Amplifier. Not sure if they even know, but something to think about if you're looking into one.

Deku Tree

Does any x51 run Witcher 3 at 4K with good FPS and AA?

Can the x51 send audio signal through HDMI reciever and a second video signal to a 4K TV from a second HDMI?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I spoke with Dell support a couple of times this week. After a couple of attempts, the last one did say that the Oculus X51 doesn't come with a 970 internally, it's for the Amplifier. Not sure if they even know, but something to think about if you're looking into one.

Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom