• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ah ok, did you try it with the stock graphics card? I'm curious as to how much of a boost the 7870 makes! (I'll be getting the i5 just for that higher watt PSU, should come in handy in the long run).

it's a pretty spectacular boost, think going from 30-40 FPS Med-High to 40-60 FPS Ultra in Battlefield.

So the stock card is fine then. I'm still going to get that Ati card. But not of the bat. Want to rock it for a few. Question. If I put it at 720p Will I be able to get 60fps easier than 1080p on the stock card? I know is a noob question, but it's been a long time bro...

Chittagong

Gold Member
So the stock card is fine then. I'm still going to get that Ati card. But not of the bat. Want to rock it for a few. Question. If I put it at 720p Will I be able to get 60fps easier than 1080p on the stock card? I know is a noob question, but it's been a long time bro...

Sure 720p will give you a massive boost either in frames or graphics level... Optimal if you have a 720p panel, if you have a 1080p tv personally I find running non-native res a bit nasty, the crispness is gone.

Tobor

Turns out my Mac Mini runs Diablo 3 well enough, so I'm definitely holding out for the Ivy Bridge update to the X51.

Sure 720p will give you a massive boost either in frames or graphics level... Optimal if you have a 720p panel, if you have a 1080p tv personally I find running non-native res a bit nasty, the crispness is gone.

Thanks. I have a 1080p panel(46 LCD)I'll give it a shot once I get the X51, I'll try on both res to see how i like it. Now I need to go to Google and see whats the big deal on Ivy bridge.

This thread has me seriously considering buying one of these. I kind of want to build my own computer again, but nothing would fit into my media center like one of these would. That being said I still hate the look of Alienware PCs, do people actually like all the LEDs?

Chittagong

Gold Member
This thread has me seriously considering buying one of these. I kind of want to build my own computer again, but nothing would fit into my media center like one of these would. That being said I still hate the look of Alienware PCs, do people actually like all the LEDs?

They are pretty cheesy, I have set mine on white which makes it look a bit pared back.

Although I must admit that there is a little kid in me that got really excited when the alien eyes turned red every time I entered a combat area in Battlefield 3...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I'm in the same boat, luckily LEDs can be shut off permanently.

They are pretty cheesy, I have set mine on white which makes it look a bit pared back.

Although I must admit that there is a little kid in me that got really excited when the alien eyes turned red every time I entered a combat area in Battlefield 3...

You can change what color it is?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I bought both a Mac mini and an X51 today.

I'm running them side by side and playing D3 with my brother.

I'm using the X51. It is such a BEAST. <3 love this thing.

Tobor

The i7 models are already running on Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge processors.

Really? Did they change anything else? Update the GPU?

EDIT: looks like everything else is the same as before. It's future proofed, and should use less power, though. Cool.

Is it a pain to use the same set of 360 controllers on my 360 and a PC like this? Or should I just buy a second pair to use just with this?

Is it a pain to use the same set of 360 controllers on my 360 and a PC like this? Or should I just buy a second pair to use just with this?

Buy a second pair. I did that for my current setup. If you don't, you'll have to constantly re-sync the controller to the system.

jacobs34

I bought both a Mac mini and an X51 today.

I'm running them side by side and playing D3 with my brother.

I'm using the X51. It is such a BEAST. <3 love this thing.

Have you upgraded the video card? If not, what settings does it play Diablo 3 on?

is there a wireless solution for 360 controllers on pc or is it all wired?

you can use a wireless dongle for 360 wireless pads, it works rather well.

I have an ebay clone of the dongle and no problems yet, well apart from my wireless headset not working on my pc, pads however are 100%

JB1981

you can use a wireless dongle for 360 wireless pads, it works rather well.

I have an ebay clone of the dongle and no problems yet, well apart from my wireless headset not working on my pc, pads however are 100%

thanks for the reply. it's like a usb dongle?

Every time I see this thread I think about how much I want Steam's big picture mode.

I wonder if you could rig the CPU up with low cost liquid cooling.

Karak

No need. It takes 7 seconds to resynch and unless you are just sitting there synching to your computer then turning on your xbox and synching then turning it off, and then doing it ALL OVER AGAIN:) There is 100% no reason whatsoever to pay that much for 7 seconds.

Alright, I just ordered the top end version with a Blu-Ray drive which I'll probably use to replace my PS3. Now I just need to order a new keyboard, mouse and 360 wireless receiver from Amazon.

Is the graphics card in there good enough to play most games at decent settings at 1080P or should I upgrade to the graphics card that the OP got?

I think signs strongly point to late 2013. Which is still almost two years since we're still early in 012, but the end is in sight. Especially considering we'll have rumblings to tide us over (EG, E3 in June 2013 should be a full blowout, and that's only a year away).

At that point all the console to PC ports will likely render your X51 obsolete with a massive jump in recommended specs. LOL just kidding, sort of.

I built a rig for bf3

went from a C2D 3ghz, 4 gig ram, and a 280 (sept 2008)
to
i5 2500k, 8 gig ram, and a 570 superclocked (evga) (oct 2011)

Im not going to upgrade again till a year or so after the next gen consoles launch, and the new game engines for them start to mature.

Chittagong

Gold Member
In that case, I think I'm just going to go with the graphics card from the OP.

Congrats. It's a great card, have been using it over a month now. As long as you remember the following you should have no problems

- Remove all traces of current video card drivers first
- Fit the card in as shown in the Freshydeff youtube video I linked, it's a tight fit but once you learn the move it's easy
- Route video card cable around the HDD to avoid it hitting any fans
- Install latest AMD drivers, 12.3 or 12.4
- Have HDMI cable plugged to new card not integrated
- Use Speedfan to set Fan 2 to max at 75% to avoid fan noise

following those steps you should be playing Ultra settings 1080p in no time

n0n44m

Every time I see this thread I think about how much I want Steam's big picture mode.

I wonder if you could rig the CPU up with low cost liquid cooling.

probably not unless you get an external radiator+reservoir+pump, but then it's not low cost anymore :p

liquid cooling is only better once than air once the radiator you use is larger than an air heatsink, and I'm pretty sure there is no room whatsoever left in the X51 hehe

I never seem to be able to get the top two buttons on my G700 to bind properly.

I set both of them to keyboard keys 3 and 4 for Diablo III in the Logitech software, with the bottom ones set as equivalents for 1 and 2 in Diablo III itself. (and non-attacking move to middle mouse button).

So I've got everything except for the potions and the standing-attack on the mouse now. Playing with 1 hand FTW :p (as long as your DPS remains high enough thanks to the AH)

Chittagong

Gold Member
I set both of them to keyboard keys 3 and 4 for Diablo III in the Logitech software, with the bottom ones set as equivalents for 1 and 2 in Diablo III itself. (and non-attacking move to middle mouse button).

So I've got everything except for the potions and the standing-attack on the mouse now. Playing with 1 hand FTW :p (as long as your DPS remains high enough thanks to the AH)

I have everything mapped to my G700

4 left side buttons
- Skills 1 to 4

3 left top buttons
- Potion
- Inventory
- Skills

1 center top button
- Map

It's pretty glorious!

It appears they have changed the specs on these over the weekend and now all come with a bluray drive and have received a price increase on the dell.co.uk store

codhand

BTWno.jpg

Man I'm extremely tempted now that they give you an Xbox 360 with this. Not sure what I'd do with the extra, but it's definitely makes this whole thing more attractive now.

Do they really ?

It looks like it qualifies for the education/student promotion where you buy a computer, you get an Xbox 360 for free. Only catch is you need a valid .edu account or some other method of proving that you might be a student. Not usually too hard to find someone with a .edu account.

Kibbles

Got my x51 in and put in the 7850 2GB OC-Edition! But um, how do you play BF3? Seriously, the game locks up every match I try to join. It goes to like a blue screen with a pattern on it.

Also wifi works perfectly fine on mine. *shrug*

Chiggs

Gold Member
Got my x51 in and put in the 7850 2GB OC-Edition! But um, how do you play BF3? Seriously, the game locks up every match I try to join. It goes to like a blue screen with a pattern on it.

Uh, you might have a very serious issue with your video card overheating.

Kibbles

Uh, you might have a very serious issue with your video card overheating.
I just got it today? :/ Card is quiet... Computer doesn't feel hot, looking at afterburner it's idling at 45 degrees celsius. Can't check temperature in game because it freezes instantly.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just got it today? :/ Card is quiet... Computer doesn't feel hot, looking at afterburner it's idling at 45 degrees celsius. Can't check temperature in game because it freezes instantly.

Could be crappy RAM on the video card, or it could be a bios setting. I know I'm just giving you general ideas, but they're at least a starting point.

What brand 7850?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sapphire 7850 OC

Hmm, well, I've had decent success with them in the past, so I won't start brand-bashing. Still, there could be a chance the video card is bad, or it's conflicting with something software-related, resulting in a blue screen.

I'm looking to buy the X51. The $949.00 model. I will be hooking the PC up to a 32" LCD television so I would prefer to play my games at 1080 instead of 720. How decent is the GTX555 for 1080 gaming? I'm having a hard time justifying the price to buy a 7870 right now. Is the 7850 a good card and a large improvement over the nvidia card? Would it fit inside the X51? Dell has a VisionTek 7850 that I could purchase at the same time as my PC and get it all at once.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Your PSU might not have enough balls for that game. I would run it through some stress tests.

JB1981

Which version X51 did you get? The one in the OP is the $949 version which comes with a 330w PSU. Try BF3 with the stock card

legbone

man, i am getting tempted to pick one of these up. but i'm finding it hard to justify 1000 just to play diablo III. that and i am interested in upgrading the gpu down the road but i haven't heard many stories of it being upgraded with nvidia cards, just ati. i've heard too many horror stories from friends about ati cards. oh well, guess i will never get to play diablo III. kinda makes me want to cry considering how much time i put into diablo and diablo II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom