• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.
man, i am getting tempted to pick one of these up. but i'm finding it hard to justify 1000 just to play diablo III. that and i am interested in upgrading the gpu down the road but i haven't heard many stories of it being upgraded with nvidia cards, just ati. i've heard too many horror stories from friends about ati cards. oh well, guess i will never get to play diablo III. kinda makes me want to cry considering how much time i put into diablo and diablo II.
Stop. OK? Start breathing, calm down.

You don't need a 1000GBP computer to play Diablo 3.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk about "horror about ati card". No horror there my friend. I got a 6950 running since Sep '11 just fine and it's EATING Diablo III at max. settings alive (1680x1050). I can only guess how would Southern Island GPU (7xxx) do, but by look at charts: better. So no worries there.

You don't need an X51 to play Diablo 3. ;)

Kibbles

Which version X51 did you get? The one in the OP is the $949 version which comes with a 330w PSU. Try BF3 with the stock card
Same setup as OP, 330w i5 8GB, but with the 7850. Halo 2 played just fine, only does it in Battlefield.

[edit] I seem to have fixed it! I uninstalled the AMD driver I downloaded and just used the one on my disc that came with the graphics card. I also changed to launch the game with Internet Explorer rather than Chrome and it appears to be working just fine now. I'm guessing it was the former rather than the latter that fixed it, but there you go. edit2: Fuck, nvm still get it. Ugh.... Seems to only be doing it when I overclock. I guess I shouldn't overclock then >_>. Some guy uploaded videos of overclocking this card on the x51 with Afterburner and it worked fine for him.

Here's what the screen looks like (the horizontal bars is just from my phone camera sucking at capturing picture from a plasma):

jHOkBl.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ordered the i7 3.4GHz Ivy Bridge model, now the shipping wait game begins. Will pair it up with my Philips 40" LED for comfy couch experience™.

Gwanatu T

So GAF, I need help. This thread has inspired me to redo my Comfy Couch PC setup with all wireless stuff. Since this is definitely applicable in this thread given that the Alienware X51 doesn't even come with a keyboard or mouse with your basic setup, I figure all GAFers would like to have this info. I'm running an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and the Bluetooth module I have is a pile of crap (this one); it only goes about 5ft away before losing signal. After reviewing what seems to be every bluetooth USB adapter on Amazon I've come to the conclusion that they are all crap, and now I have no idea what to buy. Any ideas? I really need this to work.

I also use Wii remotes via Dolphin and those go about 2ft, just so that's documented as well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So GAF, I need help. This thread has inspired me to redo my Comfy Couch PC setup with all wireless stuff. Since this is definitely applicable in this thread given that the Alienware X51 doesn't even come with a keyboard or mouse with your basic setup, I figure all GAFers would like to have this info. I'm running an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and the Bluetooth module I have is a pile of crap (this one); it only goes about 5ft away before losing signal. After reviewing what seems to be every bluetooth USB adapter on Amazon I've come to the conclusion that they are all crap, and now I have no idea what to buy. Any ideas? I really need this to work.

I also use Wii remotes via Dolphin and those go about 2ft, just so that's documented as well.

The device actually comes with a crap, nasty wired mouse and keyboard you can use when you want to mess with the BIOS. They are pretty horrid though.

I'm using the Belkin USB stick, with Apple keyboard and Wiimote. Never had a problem. My G700 mouse has its own wireless adapter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Apologize if this aspect is answered- what really keeps such devices from being truly seamless is HDMI out to an AV receiver, that is- HD surround audio and 1080p video from one cable. But it's been a few years since I've looked into the market. Has this problem been solved somehow?

Apologize if this aspect is answered- what really keeps such devices from being truly seamless is HDMI out to an AV receiver, that is- HD surround audio and 1080p video from one cable. But it's been a few years since I've looked into the market. Has this problem been solved somehow?

Not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying audio could not be sourced through the HDMI cable before? If so, ya, that's been fixed for awhile. I already get that out of my HTPC and it's years old.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry, could you explain a little? Full surround audio- 7.1 channel- can be ported through an HDMI cable hooked up to a graphics card? Is this because the 7870/7850 has an actual HDMI port on it versus DVI (DVI absolutely cannot carry audio)?

Gwanatu T

The device actually comes with a crap, nasty wired mouse and keyboard you can use when you want to mess with the BIOS. They are pretty horrid though.

I'm using the Belkin USB stick, with Apple keyboard and Wiimote. Never had a problem. My G700 mouse has its own wireless adapter.

Could I be a pain and ask for a model number or picture? I REALLY want to get one that works. Thanks!

Ledsen

Sorry, could you explain a little? Full surround audio- 7.1 channel- can be ported through an HDMI cable hooked up to a graphics card? Is this because the 7870/7850 has an actual HDMI port on it versus DVI (DVI absolutely cannot carry audio)?

All modern graphics card have both HDMI and DVI ports.

MonkeyRoach

Neo Member

DVI does carry audio by using a dvi-hdmi adapter. The ATI HD 3k to 7k series and the Nvidia 4 to 6k series all do audio

No it does not. DVI by definition does not carry audio.

Technically he's right, DVI can carry audio signal but will only output the audio when you converted to something that accepts it (DVI to HDMI for instance).

Not sure what his point is since it's essentially just turning the DVI port to HDMI and chances are the graphics card would already have a dedicated HDMI port...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All modern graphics card have both HDMI and DVI ports.
Rough that my GTX260 is not a "modern" graphics card anymore :'(

Sorry to be unclear guys. Again- my question is, full audio (7.1 surround) from a sound card is ported through the graphics card to an HDMI out?

DVI does carry audio by using a dvi-hdmi adapter. The ATI HD 3k to 7k series and the Nvidia 4 to 6k series all do audio
Ahhh so I think this does the trick then- just need a newer card. They solved the problem in the 4 series and I'm two generations back.

I was sure DVI could not carry audio packets but maybe I'm wrong, I guess technically I've never tried. Not that it would matter with my "ancient" cards :p

Chittagong

Gold Member

Sorry to be unclear guys. Again- my question is, full audio (7.1 surround) from a sound card is ported through the graphics card to an HDMI out?

Yep, the graphics card HDMI serves great 7.1 audio. But you have to manually enable it from the Control Panel, which is not entirely intuitive.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, the graphics card HDMI serves great 7.1 audio. But you have to manually enable it from the Control Panel, which is not entirely intuitive.
Huh- definitely not prior to the 400 series though, right? Would make my setup so much more awesome.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Does the $699 verison work good with Diablo 3? Also, can you upgarde the RAM and Video card on these things? Thanks

DR3AM

got the $700 with i3 and 4 gigs version with $200 gift card but then i saw the i5, 8 gig version for $750 on outlet so i got that instaed, no gift card

Ahhh so I think this does the trick then- just need a newer card. They solved the problem in the 4 series and I'm two generations back.

I was sure DVI could not carry audio packets but maybe I'm wrong, I guess technically I've never tried. Not that it would matter with my "ancient" cards :p
I would like to chime in....
I have a gtx 260, it should have came with a tiny cable that you plug into the following area on the card :
gtx280_audio.jpg

the other end should go into the SPDIF header on your motherboard (or sound card if it has it), then in windows you select hdmi output and wham, all set.

Most modern graphics cards/mobos can send audio over HDMI without that cable nowadays, it just works. So yeah, old cards needed a lil workaround.

How accurate is the estimated delivery date from Dell/Alienware? My new graphics card has been sitting here for a few days and I'm becoming impatient.

DR3AM

ordered 1 yesterday from outlet, should be here on wendesday.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would like to chime in....
I have a gtx 260, it should have came with a tiny cable that you plug into the following area on the card :
gtx280_audio.jpg

the other end should go into the SPDIF header on your motherboard (or sound card if it has it), then in windows you select hdmi output and wham, all set.

Most modern graphics cards/mobos can send audio over HDMI without that cable nowadays, it just works. So yeah, old cards needed a lil workaround.
iiiinteresting, thank you.

DR3AM

anyone install a SSD on this thing along with the stock HDD?

Was thinking about buying this for Diablo but in the end went with a custom build. So much more bang for the buck. Alienware is always overpriced.

DR3AM

hows that compared to the stock 545?

mine should be here tomorrow and i found a way to install both the stick HDD and ssd. ill try to make a video

JB1981

hows that compared to the stock 545?

mine should be here tomorrow and i found a way to install both the stick HDD and ssd. ill try to make a video

Supposed to be much better. I wonder if when Nvidia releases the 660 if that will be an option for these ...

I was almost going to buy one but I think I'm going to wait for E3 since Alienware has a booth. Gotta at least hold out to see if they announce something new.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I was going to upgrade the GeForce GTX 555 that came with the thing but this runs Diablo 3 maxed out at 100fps in 1080p so I'm putting that on the back burner.

The specs of my version are the i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz one with 8GB ram, 330w supply (the only one they sell here in EU).

Space is extremely limited inside it, I read up above someone had found where to store a 2nd SSD drive in addition to the stock 1TB 7200 rpm drive, where? :p

I might end up buying a second SSD and then putting them in the same caddy that the 1TB one uses at the moment instead if there's no feasible solution.

Oh and in terms of delivery for those curious, it arrived 8 days ahead of the initial planned delivery date (ordered direct from Alienware/Dell).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom