• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy to think that Switch will do worse than Wii U if it doesn't run Android?

Schnozberry

Nintendo hates paying licensing costs with a burning passion, so I would really doubt this would even be considered. I'm sure major streaming and content providers already have their hands on Switch, given that it seems Nintendo has made a major push recently to get out Dev Kits, even to small indie houses.

border

I am relatively pessimistic about the Switch, but I don't think its existence hinges on Android compatibility. Most people just want a web browser, Facebook, Instagram, Spotify/Pandora, Netflix and email.

Is there anyone left that even wants an Android tablet without cellular service? I don't follow things very closely but it seems like the tablet market is either iPad, Windows, or junk $99 Android tablet now. The people that want a cheap junk tablet will ignore Switch due to its price anyway.

oti

Banned
I don't know about stock Android but Apps will be key to the success of this thing. I'd loooove to see the Play Store on this thing but I don't know. Doesn't sound Nintendo at all. And it doesn't even have a camera. Not that I care about a camera on a tablet but many do.

I really believe Nintendo needs to convince people to ditch their 7" tablet for this thing. Too bad most peoole are switching to Phablets anyway. It definitely needs the apps everybody uses. YouTube, Netflix, Facebook etc.

If it even supports cellular internet that is.

Gross. Android is a horrible platform for getting the most out of a device's specs. The amount of overhead and bloat is just too much.

Switch maybe would have dual OS that SWITCHES between Android and a closer to the metal gaming OS?

Let's just say if Switch doesn't run Android, the first thing hackers will attempt is to run Android on it. I can see a popular mod scene based on modding Switch to run dual OS with Android.

I am relatively pessimistic about the Switch, but I don't think its existence hinges on Android compatibility. Most people just want a web browser, Facebook, Instagram, Spotify/Pandora, Netflix and email.

Is there anyone left that even wants an Android tablet without cellular service? I don't follow things very closely but it seems like the tablet market is either iPad, Windows, or junk $99 Android tablet now. The people that want a cheap junk tablet will ignore Switch due to its price anyway.

Most people probably buy 8~10" Samsung Android tablets at Best Buy with only Wifi capability. Those suckers are on the average $200~300.

gogojira

Confirmed: You are crazy in thinking that.

The Wii U failed for many, many, many reasons that a three-minute Switch trailer convinced most people it won't repeat the same mistakes.

I'm not even saying it'll do amazing or fly off shelves or even be considered a success. We'll found out those answers soon enough, but it won't be the complete failure that Wii U is.

Barryman

My assumption is that it will have the same internet/app features as the 3DS or Vita - browser, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I also think there will be a fully touch-enabled interface, including some tablet-style EShop games.

But I don't think it will (nor should it) run on Android.

Persona7

Banned

Most of the tablets I see in public are samsung android tablets.

random25

You're crazy OP. lol

But for the sake of conversation, having an Android or any other smartphone OS for that matter won't add much value to any gaming console in general. Yes, it would be for the enthusiasts out there. But for the general public? That's the role of the phones and tablets out there. Heck, there's already gaming platforms out there that has Android OS and I'm pretty sure they are setting some record numbers out there. If we're talking about general features like web browser, music player, video streaming, etc. those are already doable with modern consoles without the need for Android.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You're crazy if you don't think there is a rabid Nintendo fanbase out there that would be perfectly happy with the tablet playing the latest and greatest Nintendo games.

Shit... there's probably a gigantic chunk of those intending to purchase it that would do so if it was exclusively a Mario Bros. machine.

It doesn't have to be Android. But, it has to be a good tablet as well as a good console. I can image being really frustrated with a device that has such a familiar form factor but none of the functionality I'd expect from that form factor.

My assumption is that it will have the same internet/app features as the 3DS or Vita - browser, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I also think there will be a fully touch-enabled interface, including some tablet-style EShop games.

But I don't think it will (nor should it) run on Android.

Vita isn't exactly a marketplace success either... It's a phone/tablet form factor mobile device that doesn't run Android, iOS, or Windows which means it's a niche device at best.

Too much overhead and Nintendo would fuck it up. Let's just hope the Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube apps are better on Switch than the previous Nintendo consoles.

You're crazy if you don't think there is a rabid Nintendo fanbase out there that would be perfectly happy with the tablet playing the latest and greatest Nintendo games.

Shit... there's probably a gigantic chunk of those intending to purchase it that would do so if it was exclusively a Mario Bros. machine.

That rabid fanbase didn't make Wii U a success either. My whole point with this is that you can't only count on the Nintendo fans to make a new Nintendo console a success anymore. You also need mass market mindshare and interest. For that, they might need Android or similar.

There's no way it's going to sell less than the Wii U — not with a consolidated library and hybrid approach. At worst, it'll do half the number of worldwide 3DS sales.

Luigiv

Yes you are crazy.

That said, giving the Switch Android virtualisation could potentially be a smart move. Giving devs the ability to get their android games running on the system without actually having to port the code could be a good way to net more indie support.

imjust1n

Banned
I don't really care if it's android or new OS. Only thing with having andrioid leaves people to hack and run emulators which Nintendo for sure doesn't want.

CO_Andy

Android is so... blegh.

Where are your standards, Shog? I trust your opinion on drawing tablets but now i might have to reconsider my opinion of you.

Platy

AT MAXIMUM like the Wii mode on WiiU.
Because run full android would be basicaly asking for piracy and homebrew day 1

But the chances of an android like enviroment or something along those lines is pretty big considering it has a mode without controllers with only multitouch =P

18-Volt

I'll never understand the argument "I carry just my tablet/smartphone everywhere, I don't need anything else" as a person who brings a tablet, a digital camera, Kindle reader, Sony Walkman music player, 3DS XL and Vita to work every day.

Switch could have absolutely nothing for software except the next Pokemon and Animal Crossing game and still sell better than the Wii U.

Name some of the apps which are so crucial to you OP.

A good picture viewing app like QuickPic, a decent office app, pdf reader, comics app and other tablet essentials. Obviously things like FB, Messenger, Netflix, Instagram etc., but also things like KakaoTalk, LinkedIn app, Bank app, etc that probably won't be on Nintendo only app store.

Sure I will always have my phone with me so most of those will be covered by it, but some I prefer to use on much bigger screen.

It doesn't matter if switch runs Android.

It DOES matter that all games are forward compatible going forward like Android and iOS games are though.

balohna

I have an Android phone and it's fine, but I don't think of Android as anything other than an OS my phone runs. Can't think of any Android apps I'd really want on my Nintendo thing.

Switch could have absolutely nothing for software except the next Pokemon and Animal Crossing game and still sell better than the Wii U.

I would say that would depend on the price. If it's priced like mid range tablet, then no, but if it's priced closer to 3DS XL, then probably.

As I see it, if the price is right and the battery actually lasts for something not laughable as three hours, it should be allright on the market.

But since I doubt the battery will last for reasonable gameplay time, I think it'll be as failed as the WiiU was. Nobody will buy a home portable console that you can't enjoy far from the dock station.

it would be insane if the OS isn't fundamentally based on android, whether heavily forked or not. there's really no reason for nintendo not to, considering the switch hardware and how the wii u system software turned out.

but it's not going to have the play store, of course, which is a different matter entirely.

Mechazawa

Nintendo trying to half-compromise on going after people's enthusiasm over tablets without doing the actual legwork is what got them into the position that they got in with the Wii U.

At the end of the day, the Switch is a dedicated gaming machine. The Wii U bombed, but the other ones seem to be doing alright and if anything's going to clinch the deal for them, it's the actual strategy they're employing: grouping up the disparate fanbases that don't overlap for Nintendo handhelds and consoles. Not half heartedly including a Play store or whatever.

99Luffy

Banned
I doubt Nintendo will allow anything like that. Next thing you know people be sideloading emulators instead of paying for VC.

I'll never understand the argument "I carry just my tablet/smartphone everywhere, I don't need anything else" as a person who brings a tablet, a digital camera, Kindle reader, Sony Walkman music player, 3DS XL and Vita to work every day.
I do what you do but man it's bulky and a bit heavy. So I can't understand how you can't understand wanting to carry less.

Not just needs to run android, but needs to be a phone with at least a cellular data plan too. Just running android doesn't solve the problem since you'd still need to carry a phone in order to have a phone.

E-phonk

Banned
It won't run android, but i do think it'll use an sdk that is close to android that makes it easy for developers to compile mobile apps to the platform.

Developers will have different options as their api, either for graphics (opengl/vulcan/nvidea) or mobile applications with an extra layer in between that gives access to some basic OS functions (limited folder access, gps, friendlist, nintendo account, network etc).
Besides that i would assume they have even stronger support for web/html frameworks, as they already had that on the wiiU.

Adding Android and it's effect is a interesting question. I feel like there is an argument there for it to be a negative effect. At least at this stage a narrative that it's an Android tablet muddies the msg and lumps it with some stale company (meaning low end Android tablets).

Top Bottom