• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy to think that Switch will do worse than Wii U if it doesn't run Android?

I have a honkin 5.7" phone but somethings I hate doing on my phone like comics and whatnot because it's too small. If Switch was tiny like GPD XD, I would agree with you guys, but this thing has similar footprint as 7~8" tablets. I think it needs to run Android at that size...

who wants an android tablet w/ only 3 hours of battery life?

MuchoMalo

Banned
TX1 often ran at 20W under load. Even with smaller process node, if it's packing TX1 level raw power, you will be lucky to get 3 hours battery life with the battery size allowed by that small chassis.

You'd be surprised. Voltage curves are very interesting, to say the least. Also, that 20W is for the entire Shield console, not just the chip.

I would say that would depend on the price. If it's priced like mid range tablet, then no, but if it's priced closer to 3DS XL, then probably.

I don't get it. Are you disagreeing with your own OP? You're agreeing that it would probably outsell the Wii U with just 2 games if it was priced at $200. But the Switch is obviously going to have more than just Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

I think it's going to pass Wii U's lifetime sales by the end of 2018, with or without Android.

it will probably last 3-4 and it won't fail. I don't expect more of a gaming machine, not until we improve battery technology I guess.

GPD XD runs like 8 hours with 5" LCD. Heavy duty games, like 5 hours. It's not voodoo magic. it's realistic expectations and power management.

I don't get it. Are you disagreeing with your own OP? You're agreeing that it would probably outsell the Wii U with just 2 games if it was priced at $200. But the Switch is obviously going to have more than just Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

I think it's going to pass Wii U's lifetime sales by the end of 2018, with or without Android.

This thread is not a hard line assertion by me by any stretch. That's why I'm asking it in such a way as I phrased it in the first place. I could certainly be crazy in this situation. I'm not sure either way.

One major problem, OP, is that you aren't understanding what the Switch is. The Switch isn't a tablet anymore than the 3DS or Vita or Shield is a tablet. Just because it (likely) has a touchscreen and you can use it with the controls taken off the sides doesn't make it a tablet. It superficially resembles a tablet in some simple ways, but it is designed and intended to do completely different things.

If you turn the NX into an Android device and try to push too hard on non-gaming apps and multimedia functionality, you actually muddle the messaging and distract from the main concept. Switch may end up having a couple of streaming apps, but it isn't a multimedia device or web browser or e-reader, it's a dedicated game console. Nobody needed PS4 or 3DS to run Android. Switch has more in common with those than it does with a Galaxy tablet, and that is obviously what people are excited for, so why chase Android?

There's a market swarmed with devices that use the Play Store and run Android. There will only be one device that plays Switch cartridges.

EDIT: On top of that, making Switch an Android device opens up a new can of worms for third party developers porting games to it, as well as confused customers wondering why they need this one specific Android device to do all of these unique things.

Basically, Switch would heavily confuse the general public by tying itself to Android.

casiopao

To do worse than Wii U is simply impossible lol. The fact that this is a handheld/portable consoles is going to make Japanese eat this platform like cup cakes.

Justinh

I just don't think that Nintendo wants to put out a product that's a tablet that also plays Nintendo games, but the way to play new Nintendo games on a device that's similar to a tablet.

I think adding android and android app would... "muddy" the focus of the device, which is playing games. I dunno, I just think it's a bad idea. People already have devices to do all this stuff that they carry around. This isn't being sold as a "tablet," but a portable/home gaming console. That's just my opinion. Edit: but someone just said pretty much the same thing but better.

One major problem, OP, is that you aren't understanding what the Switch is. The Switch isn't a tablet anymore than the 3DS or Vita or Shield is a tablet. Just because it (likely) has a touchscreen and you can use it with the controls taken off the sides doesn't make it a tablet. It superficially resembles a tablet in some simple ways, but it is designed and intended to do completely different things.

If you turn the NX into an Android device and try to push too hard on non-gaming apps and multimedia functionality, you actually muddle the messaging and distract from the main concept. Switch may end up having a couple of streaming apps, but it isn't a multimedia device or web browser or e-reader, it's a dedicated game console. Nobody needed PS4 or 3DS to run Android. Switch has more in common with those than it does with a Galaxy tablet, and that is obviously what people are excited for, so why chase Android?

There's a market swarmed with devices that use the Play Store and run Android. There will only be one device that plays Switch cartridges.
Well then I think many people who are not diehard Nintendo fans will be out I'm afraid. And you will have another sales disappointment for Nintendo.

GPD XD runs like 8 hours with 5" LCD. Heavy duty games, like 5 hours. It's not voodoo magic. it's realistic expectations and power management.

So 5 hours, against 3 (allegedly) of the Switch devkit (We still don't know brightness and other power settings). With GPD XD having a tinier screen and less powerful hardware. I think that if they reach 4 hours it will be acceptable.

Well then I think many people who are not diehard Nintendo fans will be out I'm afraid. And you will have another sales disappointment for Nintendo.

Lol I seriously doubt that.

Wiii U did so bad that it's hard to do that bad. Even a ps4 like Nintendo console with hard core mario would blow away the Wii U and even N64, gamecube imo

Because Nintendo hasn't made those type of games in a long long time that appeal to top end visuals and game play. if they did, man would the hype be huge!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Although Android is likely a better OS than whatever this thing will run, there's not a single chance in Hell this will run Android. And yes, you are crazy, OP.

oti

Banned
Just because it (likely) has a touchscreen and you can use it with the controls taken off the sides doesn't make it a tablet. It superficially resembles a tablet in some simple ways, but it is designed and intended to do completely different things.

It looks like a tablet, people will expect tablet things from it. That just makes sense.

I also don't understand the "muddy the games part" argument you and other bring forth. Most people DON'T CARE about dedicated video game hardware. Those who do care will get this because Nintendo. The rest might get this because it's Nintendo and because it's a tablet. They're not gonna play every Nintendo game like we do. They need more reasons to buy this other than Nintendo. Having said that I don't know if this will even work out for those people if there are super cheap tablets out there already or other tablets with more Apps.

The pitch of this device is confusing but so is the video game industry as a whole nowadays.

MogCakes

This is a video game console, not a lifestyle device. If Nintendo is going to be successful going forward as a console manufacturer, it will be on the strength of their support for the Switch, including their IP library and internal studios, which tablet manufacturers do not have and are not focusing on. I am not sure where you're getting the idea that someone's primary interest in the Switch would be for an OS that is readily available on cheaper electronics.

So 5 hours, against 3 (allegedly) of the Switch devkit (We still don't know brightness and other power settings). With GPD XD having a tinier screen and less powerful hardware. I think that if they reach 4 hours it will be acceptable.

I think 4 hours would need to be minimum, not maximum.

Lol I seriously doubt that.

I admire, but do not share your optimism.

Tratorn

Yes, you are crazy.

/thread

The thing will sell more in japan alone than WiiU did worldwide if Nintendo doesn't fuck something really up (like a >399$ pricepoint or something like that)...

3DS vs Switch will be the real comparison, WiiU will be beaten pretty fast.

/thread

The thing will sell more in japan alone than WiiU did worldwide if Nintendo doesn't fuck something really up (like a >399$ pricepoint or something like that)...

3DS and Switch will be the real comparison, WiiU will be beaten pretty fast.

3DS will be tough to beat unless Switch is miraculously priced similarly to 3DS.

geordiemp

I like the switch from what they have revealed so far. But I can't see myself buying it if it doesn't run Android apps. I can't justify carrying that fairly sizable tablet thingy around only to play Nintendo's new games when I already carry an Android tablet around that I need other things for it to do.

Your 100 % correct from a consumer pint of view if the Switch had Android functionality it would have more functionality for mass market.

The Apologists and defenders claiming security and hacking : Thats the challenge of the manufacturer and maybe a bespoke Android that is more secure.

A piece of hardware doing more things is always a better consumer deal if done right.

As much as it would be convenient right now for the Switch to run Android, I'd much rather it didn't.

As no matter how much optimisation Nintendo and Nvidia do Android has a tendency of slowing down after years of Software Updates, Case in point: Try and use a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, S2 or even Google's original Nexus S and see how well they run today, would you want your Switch to run that poorly 5 years from now?

Nintendo's OS' may not have anywhere near the extended features of Android but for a gaming console I'd take that any day over performance degradation.

AgeEighty

Yes, you're crazy for thinking that. Succeed or fail, Switch isn't going to replace people's phones in their pockets, and therefore everyone will either already have an Android device with them (Android phone users) or have no interest in Android (iOS users).

Switch is likely to already get some mobile games ported over, anyway. And it's likely to have its own web browser and other basic internet features.

Yes, are absolutely crazy.

If, and a strong if, it does run Android, I'll likely not buy it.

I have no time to fuck with that, I use consoles because I like ease of use. Android is far from an easy solution. (Yeah, yeah, I know. It's not that bad.)

Your 100 % correct from a consumer pint of view if the Switch had Android functionality it would have more functionality for mass market.

The Apologists and defenders claiming security and hacking : Thats the challenge of the manufacturer and maybe a bespoke Android that is more secure.

A piece of hardware doing more things is always a better consumer deal if done right.

YAY! I have one on my side! *happy dance*

oti

Banned
Nintendo could try to place this as a "Hey parents this is a tablet by Nintendo so your kids are safe" kinda deal. No credit card information stored, no giant IAP. They could try to persuade App developers to release their ganes without all that F2P crap on their platform.

But, I don't think enough people care. Parents give kids their phones and tablets anyway. They might think they care about a safe environment for their kids but once they see they have to buy a whole new tablet AND buy the games they are out. On the other side why would Supercell release a Deluxe edition of Clash Royale on Switch if its price ceiling would be something like $20 or $40? As long as idiot whales keep all dem dollars flying in and the government isn't stepping in I don't see a change in strategy.

Ovek

7Member7
Don't give a shit if it ran android but I hope it has some media playback functionality of the unconfirmed and mythical SD card and not just sodding Netflix.

Google hates companies using forks of Android, even Samsung refuses to use there version outside of South Korea. Nintendo most likely said fuck it, when Google started bullying them if they heard they were testing.

google has no say in it because the core android codebase is available as open source through AOSP. it's only an issue if you want to include google's apps and services on the device, which nintendo obviously would not. (i assume you're talking about tizen re: samsung, which isn't based on android at all and is offered on phones in russia and india.)

seriously, can anyone in this thread give a good reason why nintendo wouldn't use AOSP at least as the foundations for an OS on its new ARM-based console? given what we know about its software prowess? it's pretty much the default source code for operating systems at this point.

don't let your opinions on mainstream android phones get in the way of the reality of the proposition. an AOSP-based OS would be incredibly easy to develop for and give nintendo a massive leg up in an area where it's extremely weak.

the only reason i can think of is that it would be very un-nintendo to be that pragmatic.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It can't possibly do worse than the WiiU. It could do as bad as the WiiU in cracking the casual market, but even then, just targeting both core Nintendo handheld and consoles fans is enough for it to do better than the WiiU.

Enough to do better than Wii U + 3DS?

Don't give a shit if it ran android but I hope it has some media playback functionality of the unconfirmed and mythical SD card and not just sodding Netflix.

Nintendo's media app will probably not run .mkv, nor AC-3 audio and bunch of other things that many of my files will need to play.

Applecot

Considering Nintendo's history with regards to anti-piracy measures they'd be very unlikely to have the switch run on Android.

They'd also need to make the tablet doubly stand out to compete with what is a saturated market with small market share (Ipads dominating 80%+ of the space)

Abounder

Banned
That's where the Unity and UE4 support comes in, especially the former. With such proper devtools it should be relatively painless to port.

but your whole argument is based on the assumption that whatever nintendo do can't be better than android

or at least comparable

google has no say in it because android is available as open source through AOSP. it's only an issue if you want to include google's apps and services on the device, which nintendo obviously would not. (i assume you're talking about tizen re: samsung, which isn't based on android at all and is offered on phones in russia and india.)

seriously, can anyone in this thread give a good reason why nintendo wouldn't use AOSP at least as the foundations for an OS on its new ARM-based console? given what we know about its software prowess? it's pretty much the default source code for operating systems at this point.

don't let your opinions on mainstream android phones get in the way of the reality of the proposition. an AOSP-based OS would be incredibly easy to develop for and give nintendo a massive leg up in an area where it's extremely weak.

the only reason i can think of is that it would be very un-nintendo to be that pragmatic.

YEAH! much better put than I did in the OP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
google has no say in it because android is available as open source through AOSP. it's only an issue if you want to include google's apps and services on the device, which nintendo obviously would not. (i assume you're talking about tizen re: samsung, which isn't based on android at all and is offered on phones in russia and india.)

Nintendo can run to NetFront for the browser or even better Mozilla (these days you want web developers to consider you and the closer you are to an open standard the better), but for one not having Google Chrome or the default webview as the former requires concessions to Google and the latter requires Google Play Services which... requires concessions to Google then Nintendo would get a platform with no Play Store access and that would not be able to run apps that rely on Google Play Services.

Nintendo can run to NetFront for the browser or even better Mozilla (these days you want web developers to consider you and the closer you are to an open standard the better), but for one not having Google Chrome or the default webview as the former requires concessions to Google and the latter requires Google Play Services which... requires concessions to Google then Nintendo would get a platform with no Play Store access and that would not be able to run apps that rely on Google Play Services.

yep, exactly — i'm saying they should build a new OS on top of AOSP. no google services.

DSix

Banned
I'm crazy too OP, I think you're right.
For me the Switch would be a must have if it can run popular android apps (mostly a proper browser like Firefox and a proper media player like VLC).

If the multimedia functions are as shit as the wii u, I don't see myself being interested and would rather stay with my current tablet.

Top Bottom