• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I in the forever friend zone?

riotous

Banned
A guy dating someone and telling you about it doesn't mean they aren't interested in you.

Just sayin'.

Not that it should matter; I support females who want male friends. I don't care that my wife is friends with guys who want her; it's just sort of how that generally works.

sphinx

the piano man
Haha you guys. He's very aware that I don't date, and he's currently dating someone (who he may be ~falling fooooor~) and tells me all about his dating adventures. :D

maybe you are right, but I'd be careful.

lines get blurry very easy

Mediking

It's good, though... it helps establishes boundaries and makes it clear where you stand. If someone is crushign on you, it's better to burst that bubble early than help inflate it (inflating it is fun and rewarding in the short term, but your chance of being friends with that person in the long term are basically nill if you do it).

Yup. True. It's just maddening and disappointing.

I've also faced when a girl isn't interested, asked for opinions, I showed interested, and she pretends to flirt back when she really isn't interested.

There's almost always some other macho/super alpha guy in the background that she wants. Lol

HotHamBoy

Where are you guys sourcing these pics?

Anyway, some of those you can't tell me the woman isn't having a laugh. If she really cares about that guy as a friend she would be sitting him down and telling him he needs to stop instead of posting "OMG my besteeeee loves me so much!"

Unless they are as dense as the dude and not seeing what's going on.

352d771388561bf401bc1ae6b5434341.jpg

This just isn't even an appropriate thing to do. If I was Boyfriend John I'd be pissed. Send that shit to your lady friends.

Mediking

Anyway, some of those you can't tell me the woman isn't having a laugh. If she really cares about that guy as a friend she would be sitting him down and telling him he needs to stop instead of posting "OMG my besteeeee loves me so much!"

This just isn't even an appropriate thing to do. If I was Boyfriend John I'd be pissed. Send that shit to your lady friends.

But... but... it's much more rewarding to ask somebody whose single and is making it clear that they want me to get their opinion on a sexy picture... it's fun to me! That person is sitting at home and getting all sweaty and hot and bothered over something they can't have! Haha!

^ I've heard this bizarre crap before. Lol

iPaul93

JESUS
FUCKING
CHRIST

This shit's literally making me cringe.

Women can be just as selfish and entitled as men. Women are as human as men.

Sounds like these guys fast tracked themselves into a relationship then.

That's on them not knowing what was up.

Now this isn't a blanket statement, but merely anecdotal based on my personal observations, but if you're just a average looking dude and haven't established anything serious with the girl you're dating, hell at the very least have been intimate with her (preferably sex); but you bring her to an environment that has more attractive and "cooler" single men, I've noticed a tendency that she'll more than likely explore her "better" options and not feel like she's done anything wrong since she has no obligation right now at the beginning stages of dating. Now they might do it on the down low, since it might/should be considered disrespectful.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all women, or even the majority of women, but merely an observation based on my personal experiences.

_Ryo_

Haha you guys. He's very aware that I don't date, and he's currently dating someone (who he may be ~falling fooooor~) and tells me all about his dating adventures. :D

Good for him! And for you too, sounds like a good friendship. :)

Anyway I had a friend that did this with me as well, (plus sharing other things like sexts, and photos she sent to her bf) but we had a past history that was not entirely platonic. Anyway... that fact caused a lot of complications in the end, and set up murky boundaries and it was too hard for the both of us. We arent friends anymore.

Ugh.. Sorry for bringing the bad vibes. Lol

Who are all these nerds trying to change the definition of friend zone? It has always meant that the person wants a romantic relationship but the other person just wants to stay friends. That's it.
Lotta times on gaf people have an impressive capability to articulate bullshit well enough. At the end of the day however, it's still bullshit. You're right.
giphy.gif

I doubt the veracity of many of these, and the discussion around friendzones is fraught with dangers and considerations, but these are funny as hell.

39645_600.gif

Ve9Y3.gif

omg at the last one... This is def going up there as the most cringe topic on gaf for 2017. I can't even fathom something getting worse at this point -_- Esp the chain reaction of gifs/pics that follows and maybe a gaf to gaf inception follow up lol.

How can you top this level of cringe people? HOW? It's impossible. Saying that, I want more pics/gifs of the cringefest.

giphy.gif

HotHamBoy

Women can be just as selfish and entitled as men. Women are as human as men.

Oh, naturally.

We're all monsters.

I think a lot of girls really do just want to be able to be friends with a dude without having to worry about the dude being into them. But dudes are raised in this society to treat women as objects of conquest. Rarely do they see a woman as an opportunity for a fulfilling platonic relationship.

Leeness

Good for him! And for you too, sounds like a good friendship. :)

Anyway I had a friend that did this with me as well, (plus sharing other things like sexts, and photos she sent to her bf) but we had a past history that was not entirely platonic. Anyway... that fact caused a lot of complications in the end, and set up murky boundaries and it was too hard for the both of us. We arent friends anymore.

Ugh.. Sorry for bringing the bad vibes. Lol

It is a good friendship! It has clear boundaries, I egg him on to date, he knows I don't date at all, and we share a lot. I hope he agrees, but I think we became really good friends off of GAF, so it's nice to find a good friend :)

I'm sorry yours didn't work out :(

Mediking

Oh, naturally.

We're all monsters.

I think a lot of girls really do just want to be able to be friends with a dude without having to worry about the dude being into them. But dudes are raised in this society to treat women as objects of conquest. Rarely do they see a woman as an opportunity for a fulfilling platonic relationship.

??? I'm friends with various women who aren't interested in me at all but they are great friends. We'll always have each other back.

It IS possible to be friends with someone without getting romantically involved.

Not all dudes are raised to be conquest kings. I was raised by a single mom.

HotHamBoy

ZYylwdK.jpg

This one actually seems kind of real.

Ugh.

She was pretty straight with him and he pulled the self-deprecating act and the "be friends and go from there" thing.

I do see how it might be hard for a woman to be all like "we're just friends and there is no place to go."

??? I'm friends with various women who aren't interested in me at all but they are great friends. We'll always have each other back.

It IS possible to be friends with someone without getting romantically involved.

Not all dudes are raised to be conquest kings. I was raised by a single mom.

I'm not talking about you or me. I'm saying the average person, especially growing up, is way too focused on seeing the opposite sex as romantic options.

Mediking

Oh, yeah! That Dating OT on GAF is pretty awesome. I think Gaiages runs it. OP should've really just ran there with this situation.

But hey. Still glad this thread exists. Fun times and there actually is some good advice here.

Top Bottom