• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.co.jp is now offering international shipping for games and consoles

Lunarian

Neo Member
I bought a Japanese Black Standard N3DS for $150.00 New. lol. I can finally play my Puyo Tetris and Taiko! Wooooooo :)

Aeana

Amazon Japan? They are. Looked it up, all 3 (2 different PS4 listings and a PS3 listing) could be shipped to me as well.

Also I was very tempted to order Pokemon Green since it says I can. Costs £15ish overall (including shipping and import taxes). Also tempted to get Zero no Kiseki Evo but I might find that and Ao cheaper while I'm over there next month.

Still Amazon Japan selling games is great, their shipping is super quick usually and they collect import taxes right away and refund you the difference if the import taxes are less than what they said. So no getting a surprise bill through the door (after the games been delivered) like I have with Fed Ex several times :/

Maybe they will expand it sometime to allow fulfilled by Amazon but until then, this is still pretty cool.

Thanks for the heads-up. The listings have been updated since yesterday. It was all third party sellers yesterday.

dolabla

Wow, this is so huge. Damn it Nintendo, why do you have to make your consoles region locked. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy some 3DS accessories off of there. I'm tempted to import that orange Vita though.

Aeana

$66 after shipping for SO5. So good.
Although the shipping is fast, it'll never beat FedEx from Play-Asia. :(

Sticking with CDJapan for books, music. I've been very pleased with their customer service, shipping times, and reward points. But this is welcome news where import games are concerned!

Aces&Eights

Ok, so this is great news but now I'm in a conundrum. I'm preordering ds3 and was going to buy psn yen cards from playasia but I've never used them before. Can I now buy them from amazon.JP and get the codes instantly just like I do on my American amazon account?

I'd like to know how and why Amazon made this decision. Imagine some executive at Amazon screaming to his team "We must bury Play-Asia"

I'll be looking into this to import PS4 faceplates and DS4s.

LiK

I'd like to know how and why Amazon made this decisions. Imagine some executive at Amazon screaming to his team "We must bury Play-Asia"

Maybe game sales ain't doing too well. Release the floodgates!

Prophane33

I've been pretty much importing half my games since 1997, and using Amazon.co.jp for books since 2002, this just completely changes everything. Amiami can expect less business from me now (as well as the occasional seller on US Amazon or Yahoo Japan Auction), stopped using stuff like play-asia and ncsx years ago (and I believe places like solaris/nin-nin must only be useful for Europeans because their prices are generally awful).

Picked up 3D Picross 2, Youkai Watch Busters (Red of course), and pre-ordered the Happy Price Selection of Taiko no Tatsujin: The Tiny Dragon and the Mysterious Orb. Would have got more but have a couple pre-orders from amiami already. Seriously, this is crazy.

Also, one last aside, what's up with this import tax stuff I keep seeing people post about? Is that a non-US thing? In 18 years I've never had to pay customs or things like that, and I didn't see anything like that when I checked out.

Zoe

ok, i can't find this.
Halp ?

It's on the last page when you're checking out.

But the currency converter isn't necessarily a good thing. The current exchange rate for yen -> USD is 112.927. The rate that Amazon is using is 108.557. They're charging a 4% fee to convert the currency for you.

DOAX3 bout to be sold out.

Mqu9Izi.png

So tempted right now

muteki

I'd like to know how and why Amazon made this decisions. Imagine some executive at Amazon screaming to his team "We must bury Play-Asia"

I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of import/export hoops to jump through to start selling x product in y country, but they were leaving money on the table. Not billions but not inconsequential either, as there are several other online retailers that make a living of of this alone.

Now extending this to any product they sell would be really amazing, but i'm sure the regulatory aspect to other types of goods might be different/more difficult to get through. I'd love to get gunpla/transformers/random stuff through amazon too.

SerTapTap

Thank god. Been using this a lot for books/music and the occasional figure but this will help a lot too. Some games are super cheap on there but didn't ship.

Regarding currency conversion, just get a credit card that you can pay in Yen with IMO. Any ecommerce site offering currency conversion, including Amazon, will cost more.

brassica

It keeps saying there is a problem with my address when I try to preorder a game (The new Kirby).
No issues when ordering a game already stock (Dragon Quest Builders).
What am I doing wrong?

Zoe

Regarding currency conversion, just get a credit card that you can pay in Yen with IMO. Any ecommerce site offering currency conversion, including Amazon, will cost more.

Yep. I believe all Capital One cards have zero fees for converting foreign currency. Chase Sapphire and all of their airline/hotel cards do as well.

Even if your card doesn't have zero fees, it's likely the fee is less than the 4% Amazon is charging. All of Chase's other credit cards only have a 3% fee.

Vlaphor

For me, the biggest issue is that it only works with Amazon, not 3rd party sellers. Most everything new I could get from Amazon.jp, I could get elsewhere for around the same amount. DOAX3 for the PS4 is $68.45, and it's about the same from VGP.

I have bought other stuff from Amazon.jp in the past, and shipping was insanely fast, so I will give them that...but if I could plunder their third party seller game selection, that would've been mind blowing.

Edit: Pretty much everything I've tried to add to my cart has failed...games and game merch alike. This especially sucks, since I've kinda been interested in collecting some Simple2000 series games and this would've been the cheapest way to do it.

LiK

It keeps saying there is a problem with my address when I try to preorder a game (The new Kirby).
No issues when ordering a game already stock (Dragon Quest Builders).
What am I doing wrong?

Certain games are still restricted.

Demoskinos

Ha, hopefully this means people can ditch Play Asia.

bye tbqh

Nah I still use them. Getting PSN money codes for JP or HK accounts is so so extremely quick. I also quite like their customer service. Every single time I've had to bring up an issue they have been super good about responding very quickly. If nothing else they have my import business simply for that alone.

Stuart444

Also, one last aside, what's up with this import tax stuff I keep seeing people post about? Is that a non-US thing? In 18 years I've never had to pay customs or things like that, and I didn't see anything like that when I checked out.

Yes. In the UK, I have to pay import fees when buying stuff from P-A and using Fed Ex for instance.

Sometimes even cheaper shipping options gets stopped by customs which means import taxes, yay... ;-;

One thing I love about Amazon (US and JP) is that they cover it and refund the difference if it's cheaper than what they charged for import taxes.

This is awesome news! I've been using them for Anime, books, and magazines. Looks like I can now add videogames to the list!

My bank account does not share the same excitement though...

Azito x Tatsunoko Legends for XB1 is $36+$8 shipping. Heard the game is shit and broken but I kinda want it just cause I feel like it's more rare.

Any other good XB1 Japanese retail games?

It won't let me order Stranger of Sword City yet.

Only others I know are Raiden V and Chaos;Child but both of those are getting western releases I believe.

Wait so if we have a US prime account theres no way to get the benefits of that on our JP account we create correct? Not that there would ever be free 2-day shipping internationally but I just thought it would be nice to keep all of our information together.

EDIT: Also can you not use the same email address as your US account for your JP one? Anyone able to get this to work?

Prophane33

Wait so if we have a US prime account theres no way to get the benefits of that on our JP account we create correct? Not that there would ever be free 2-day shipping internationally but I just thought it would be nice to keep all of our information together.

Each Amazon site handles its accounts separately.

LiK

EDIT: Also can you not use the same email address as your US account for your JP one? Anyone able to get this to work?

I use the same email for both US and JPN accounts.

Korosenai

I'm trying to make a new account but I don't know what name pronunciation means and it says this "Invalid Furigana of name" and i'm a baka gaijin so i don't know what it means.

Azito x Tatsunoko Legends for XB1 is $36+$8 shipping. Heard the game is shit and broken but I kinda want it just cause I feel like it's more rare.

Any other good XB1 Japanese retail games?

It won't let me order Stranger of Sword City yet.

Only others I know are Raiden V and Chaos;Child but both of those are getting western releases I believe.

there's Puyo Puyo Tetris....

Also, what is this Kamen Rider game i've seen several people mention in this thread.

Samemind

Is there a way to just browse what amazon sells so i dont have to play a lottery of whether items are sold by a third party or not?

Rpgmonkey

I'm trying to make a new account but I don't know what name pronunciation means and it says this "Invalid Furigana of name" and i'm a baka gaijin so i don't know what it means.

That's stuff that's related to Japanese names. I just put my name in twice and it was fine.

Stuart444

Is there a way to just browse what amazon sells so i dont have to play a lottery of whether items are sold by a third party or not?

Not full proof but choose the option that says prime above it on the left hand side and it will narrow it down to fulfilled by amazon (which don't work) and sold directly by amazon.

Besides that, I don't think there is any other way?

Top Bottom