• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

Leb

What this doesn't change, of course, are any of the other fundamentals. Memory coherence removes a big bottleneck from the pipeline, but this just kicks the bottleneck further down the road.

I mean, Jaguar is still Jaguar and the AMD GCN GPU will still ceiling out behind Nvidia's enthusiast line from 2011.

Thrakier

They arent, they will be in future, but they arent now.

And best looking launch title will be BF 4.

We have yet to see BF4 on XB1, do we? Supposedly it's not even running at 1080p. Anyway, KZ:SF and Second Son look better already. No wonder, they only run at 30FPS.

TheHater

True but that was a time when no one gave a shit about blu ray so it was still expensive. Whereas MS provided superior gaming hardware at a much better price point. I find it hilarious how it's the opposite this gen.
The PS3 is the superior hardware but complex according the the developer while the Xbox 360 is easier to develop for.

Now the PS4 is more power, easier to developer for, and $100 less. I don't see how it's the opposite

Myshkin

/XB1 PR

"The specs don't matter!"

At misterxmedia, they say it is the Sony position that specs don't matter. Since X1 is so much more powerful (Titanfall!) They also say X1 is huma while PS4 isn't. That site will be glorious when misterxmedia returns from honeymoon.

Thrakier

Both will pale in comparison to very high end PC, and even then I don't believe the differences will be major. Developers are only going to make the textures so high res, etc.

Of course you've always got the PC ability for higher framerates and downsampling, etc. But that's getting into the niche of the niche, on super expensive hardware, etc.

Double the framerate is not "niche of the nice". It's actually quite important. Shit framerates were a major weakpoint of the current generation. The supposedly game of the gen "The Last of Us" suffers from heavy framedrops.

Ebomb

Banned
I dont believe the author. Reading what hUMA does, it just seems inconceivable that Xbox uniform ddr3 memory cant be read by both the gpu and cpu without bus transfers. If this was the case, the memory wouldnt be shared in the first place but rather portions would be statically assigned to gpu and cpu separately. The fact the conclusion the article makes relates to 3d performance specifically is even more baffling.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's actually its 1.30 which is a tiny bit more than nothing.

In addition, 10% of that power seem to be permanently reserved for snapping stuff.

I also preordered a Xbone so I'll be curious to see if snapping stuff is any good. If it isn't I'll mourn those 10% and curse those gamers who want to read tweets while gaming.

Krakn3Dfx

All this tech talk and this long thread when in reality, no third party dev will take advantage of it. I feel like we get into these tech speeches all while refusing to admit that regardless of these hidden powers, only 1% of the gaming industry will use it.

Sometimes you wanna go, where everybody knows your name, and you're always glad you came...
SaltySpitoon.jpg

you are already paying $499, what makes you think a more powerful xbox one would cause $499 with Kinect? I'm thinking anywhere from $550 to $600.

misread it somehow skipped over the + kinect part :p
Even then yeah i would pay $600.
Money is less of an issue then it was back then when current gen started for me no part time job and shit back then.

In addition, 10% of that power seem to be permanently reserved for snapping stuff.

I also preordered a Xbone so I'll be curious to see if snapping stuff is any good. If it isn't I'll mourn those 10% and curse those gamers who want to read tweets while gaming.

Hey i need to tweet and post on facebook about my #Swag #YoloRoll in collar of dooty:Ghost and Bf4 optical 180no scopez footage..

Pug

And you think the PS4 won't have a GPU overhead?

ElTorro

For what? It doesn't have a snap feature, and since snapped windows need to be drawn and can contain video feeds and animations, it's pretty obvious what these 10% are reserved for.

Did MS really put billions into developing their chip? I remember reading posts saying it was 3 billion. How is that possible and this is the result?

Yes, there will be overhead but the problem is that the PS4 also has a much more powerful GPU. I mean this isn't some Cell SPU voodoo where you have to work to get anything out of it. We're talking about a GPU that just has more of everything.

If we're assuming parity between consoles, the PS4 will probably be able to perform better.

Pug

Yes, there will be overhead but the problem is that the PS4 also has a much more powerful GPU. I mean this isn't some Cell SPU voodoo where you have to work to get anything out of it. We're talking about a GPU that just has more of everything.

If we're assuming parity between consoles, the PS4 will probably be able to perform better.

I'm nor denying any of that, but first up is the 10% figure overhead on the One a quote from MS or another rumour? And I was just point out off course PS4 will have GPU overhead, what that is we will never know as I suspect we wont for the Xbox one.

BigDug13

We've seen both drive club and forza 5 and no one can say that drive club looks better.

MS abandoned their prior console early to put their best developers on XBO games. Sony did not. I expect XBO exclusives to be better graphically at launch. But that advantage will quickly vanish. (InFamous SS appears to be ready to put the smack down.)

Endo Punk

The PS3 is the superior hardware but complex according the the developer while the Xbox 360 is easier to develop for.

Now the PS4 is more power, easier to developer for, and $100 less. I don't see how it's the opposite

You misunderstood me. By this gen I mean WiiU, PS4 and XBO. New gen has already started and it looks like MS have made the mistake Sony did last gen and Sony made hardware much more powerful and affordable like 360 was.

As for the PS3 being much more powerful I disagree, come on its been 7 years I think we can admit that the memory issues insured that it was equal if not slightly less powerful.

360 exclusives like Gears 3, Halo 4 and Aln Wake are just as visually striking as any PS3 exclusive and multiplatform games like Metal Gear Rising though being lead on PS3 still performed better 360, which shows that 360 can handle games with higher frame rate much better.

That's the last gen and I don't see MS showing that kind of dominance with games again.

Pug

We've seen both drive club and forza 5 and no one can say that drive club looks better.

But it swings and roundabouts, one running at 60fps and the other 30fps. Saying that theres no doubts the PS4 should have the better looking games.

its a low level implementation, not a tacked on feature - every single developer will be making use of it by default.

You have to wonder why Microsoft didn't include this when they were going through the same company for hardware. Sony really has some advantages here that are hard to ignore: GDDR5, faster GPU overall, and hUMA.

USC-fan

Banned
Wow this is a huge advantages for ps4. It's going to be like ps2 to xbox this coming Gen. Ms has really just phone it in on xbone.

Cross Gen games may not show a huge difference but it's pretty clear once development start banging on the hardware the gap will be clear.

Nafai1123

Banned
Really surprised that anyone at AMD would even comment on this right now considering they've partnered with both companies.

bidguy

Banned
the title says ps4 uses unified memory while xbox one doesnt (in german).

not enough hUMAs to make me jump ship

BigDug13

Really surprised that anyone at AMD would even comment on this right now considering they've partnered with both companies.

They're doing the right thing IMO. If the differences are going to be as noticeable as they are alluding to, we will all be able to tell whether they let us know or not. By explaining WHY the PS4 will end up better, it lets consumers know that it's because of hUMA and that could translate to better PC hardware sales for AMD.

ElTorro

PS4 OS overhead will be next to nothing since Sony has two Graphics Command Processors in the GPU: One high priority ring for OS and one pipeline for games.

I think you are mistaking command buffers with "command processors". Command buffers indeed just buffer commands to be dispatched to the processing array. Vanilla GCN has 2 of them, PS4 has upped that to 64 to allow for a finer granularity of task scheduling.

badb0y

Hmm, quite surprised by this news, I thought both APUs were built with hUMA in mind.

I guess since the CPU can't access the ESRAM it's not fully uniform.

They are advertising their own technology which PlayStation has bought into.
For instance, Apple fights Samsung in several patent wars while at the same time they are using Samsung components in their own products...

IN&OUT

Banned
Some posts in this thread are questioning AMD word on this?

Lets start by introducing AMD.

AMD are the company that CREATED the APUs inside both PS4 and Xbone.

So when they say that PS4 is more powerful and the gap is bigger than you think, you shut up and listen.

Metfanant

This is pretty big confirmation that one console has hUMA while the other doesn't...

I'm surprised that:

1. AMD has come out and openly stated that they have delivered a more advanced APU to one customer...and just talking brute force power...but that one of the products is actually featuring some features of AMD's next gen APU's....looks like the PS4 has a Kabini/Kaveri hybrid unit...

2. That MS didn't go after some of this stuff...they seem to think spending their money on exclusive content and timed exclusives is the way to go

ethomaz

Banned
Good read.

Yeap... the hUMA have a lot of performance benefices but PS4 have more RAM POWER even without it.

Top Bottom