• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
More information from a user of the German ComputerBase site:

He is at Gamescom right now and was able to play FIFA14 which is demonstrated on PS4. He said it looks amazing. He had a little chat with the devs and they assured him that the PS4 version of FIFA14 will look better than Xbox One version. PC version will be based on PS360 version. He's now standing in the line at Sony's booth for PS4 which has the longest waiting time on the whole exhibition. source

This is not official so expect this information to contain a huge amount of subjectivity.

Such a shame. Pity the PC version isn't based on the next gen code.

Pug

Then why did MS not go with GDDR5? This entire time I figured that the whole differentiation between their system's memory architecture and Sony's was that MS was buying into hUMA hook, line and sinker.

It's just a very confusing design choice, if the reports are correct.

Becasue they required 8GB of Ram.

Sorc3r3r

He is at Gamescom right now and was able to play FIFA14 which is demonstrated on PS4. He said it looks amazing. He had a little chat with the devs and they assured him that the PS4 version of FIFA14 will look better than Xbox One version. PC version will be based on PS360 version. He's now standing in the line at Sony's booth for PS4 which has the longest waiting time on the whole exhibition. source

This is not official so expect this information to contain a huge amount of subjectivity.

There are gaffers over there i think that we can have some direct feedback from them too in the next days.

OryoN

Great, so we get a new buzz word to play with?

In XB1's defense(flame shied, check!), I don't see how this bit of info suddenly puts XB1 in a worse position.

In fact, CPU-GPU 'communication'(which I understand will benefit greatly from the hUMA architecture) was - before this news - far more of an issue for PS4 than it would ever have been for XB1, seeing as the CPU, in the latter, has direct access to the GPU's eSRAM. Tiny chunks of data, seen by both CPU and GPU(and quickly accessible) is already the perfect candidate for the eSRAM. Anything that resides in that pool will be accessed at much lower latencies(big plus for the CPU) than PS4 is capable of, hUMA or not.

I'm sure XB1 will have its moments, and will have some things/techniques that it is very good(or just simply better than PS4) at. Not sure why the mere thought upsets so many.

First-party Sony will probably look better. I still think 95% of third-party games will be identical, though.

No, not really. All games will look better on the PS4 than Xbox One. The PS4 is the faster and superior system in everything, you can't compare the situtation to the PS3 and 360.

If Microsoft doesn't pay for an identical version, there is no way that multi-plattform games will look identical.

Yeah, #Driveclub and 512 Indies are the example of hUMA power running. IF it's something, only an year apart we might see this secret sauce difference if it exists at all.

By the way, how was Crysis 3?

Such a shame. Pity the PC version isn't based on the next gen code.

They aren't going to alienate most of their PC market. Believe it or not, the people who buy Fifa on PC (which is a very large group) run it on crappy computers.

I find this very strange that AMD, who is providing the cards for both systems, would say this. Its basically saying "One of our cards is better than the other." We have all known that, but to hear AMD say it, is kinda crazy.

strata8

I find this very strange that AMD, who is providing the cards for both systems, would say this. Its basically saying "One of our cards is better than the other." We have all known that, but to hear AMD say it, is kinda crazy.

I think it's also the first thing they've said about the Xbox One apart from "we're supplying the chip".

Great, so we get a new buzz word to play with?

In XB1's defense(flame shied, check!), I don't see how this bit of info suddenly puts XB1 in a worse position.

In fact, CPU-GPU 'communication'(which I understand will benefits greatly from the hUMA architecture) was - before this news - far more of an issue for PS4 than it would ever have been on XB1, seeing as the CPU, in the latter, has direct access to the GPU's eSRAM, at very low latencies too. Tiny chunks of data, seen by both CPU and GPU(and quickly accessible) is already the perfect candidate for the eSRAhM. Anything that resides in that pool will be accessed at much lower latencies(big plus for the CPU) than PS4 is capable of, hUMA or not.

I'm sure XB1 will have its moments, and will have some things/techniques that it is very good(or just simply better than PS4) at. Not sure why the mere thought upsets so many.
A few people here are saying the CPU can't directly access the ESRAM though aren't they? Wouldn't that negate any potential advantage you're talking about?

Billen

Banned
You people all have it wrong. Huma will save us all from darkness.

dl-humac7unpm5u68.jpg

Edit: God damnit Nozem. :D At least this is an image of the edition I have.

Then why did MS not go with GDDR5? This entire time I figured that the whole differentiation between their system's memory architecture and Sony's was that MS was buying into hUMA hook, line and sinker.

It's just a very confusing design choice, if the reports are correct.

ms didn't go with GDDR5 because they needed, not wanted, 8 gigs of RAM for their system due to the integrated TV functionality and OS swapping features. MS made the assumption that GDDR5 would not be available in sufficient densities to make this possible, so went with 8 gigs of ddr3, plus the esram to mitigate bandwidth problems.

Sony designed their system around 4 gigs of gddr5 initially, then increased it to 8 when increased densities became available at the last minute. basically a gamble for sony that paid off. had gddr5 been guaranteed at those densities as early as sony got it (it wasn't) MS would have gone that route.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think it's also the first thing they've said about the Xbox One apart from "we're supplying the chip".

Maybe they promote the PS4 because Microsoft went along with a custom solution. AMD can only benefit from perceived performance advantages of PS4 since it seems to have more technology in common with AMDs own customer products.

The biggest difference will be in first party games. I expect better graphics for games with exapnsive enviroments that would otherwise have to dial it back.

Huma you say?

9781932796070.jpg

I officially love you for making this reference. I just went to a Con recently to get T. Hickman to sign like 27 hardback Dragonlance books of mine. Now I just have to track down M.Weiss one of these days...

You people all have it wrong. Huma will save us all from darkness.

dl-humac7unpm5u68.jpg

Edit: God damnit Nozem. :D At least this is an image of the edition I have.

The artwork on yours is better. You posted the original. :)

Joeki11a

Banned

I think Sony came to them before MS, Sony
Ambitions was to created the most powerful
console. MS did not go in with that in mind,
remember what the original selling point was
all about...

TheHater

I also find it very strange. If it was me, I would have kept my mouth shut TBH.

RobRSG

Geez... If this is true, the gap between the platforms is widest than I thought.

I always bought Playstation consoles for its exclusive games, not minding about hardware specs at all... But extra power is surely welcome!

IDtenT

Neo Member
ms didn't go with GDDR5 because they needed, not wanted, 8 gigs of RAM for their system due to the integrated TV functionality and OS swapping features. MS made the assumption that GDDR5 would not be available in sufficient densities to make this possible, so went with 8 gigs of ddr3, plus the esram to mitigate bandwidth problems.

Sony designed their system around 4 gigs of gddr5 initially, then increased it to 8 when increased densities became available at the last minute. basically a gamble for sony that paid off. had gddr5 been guaranteed at those densities as early as sony got it (it wasn't) MS would have gone that route.
It certainly would render my defence of MS' architectural design choices quite embarrassingly incorrect.

JABEE

Wow.

Edit: Wait, that isn't the same guy in the OP, that's just a forum post.

ZiggyRoXx

Banned
MS did not go in with that in mind,
remember what the original selling point was
all about...

MS definitely had their heads turned by looking on jealously at Nintendo making shit loads of money from selling crappy, underpowered hardware.

Now, it's not going too well for either of them..

I also find it very strange. If it was me, I would have kept my mouth shut TBH.

AMD doesn't care who wins. they have the contract already. whichever way the 150-200 million console sales get split up, AMD still gets paid the same way.

What DOES matter is that AMD is pushing the benefits of hUMA so people will buy their chips in the PC space. if the better looking console has it and the other doesn't, of course they're going to mention it as often as possible.

They also announced that a cut-down version of the PS4 APU is releasing down the road. They said the APU in the PS4 is the most powerful APU to date.

Keep in mind that the PS4 APU is heavily influenced by HSA. They want to promote it as much as possible because it shows how well thought out their design and future goals are.

It certainly would render my defence of MS' architectural design choices quite embarrassingly incorrect.

amusing, given your username.

but understandable. there's a lot of misinformation and marketing BS floating around about both consoles. easy to get confused.

in simple terms, the PS4 is more powerful, better designed (MS is having yield problems, again due to that esram), AND easier to program. There are NO advantages for gaming in the design of the xbox one. None.

if you're really into kinect or tv functionality, it might be your machine though.

JABEE

AMD doesn't care who wins. they have the contract already. whichever way the 150-200 million console sales get split up, AMD still gets paid the same way.

What DOES matter is that AMD is pushing the benefits of hUMA so people will buy their chips in the PC space. if the better looking console has it and the other doesn't, of course they're going to mention it as often as possible.

Yeah, but I'm sure those contracts have stipulations about talking to the press and AMD would like to win contracts with MS and other companies in the future.

Exactly.

gaming_noob

MS definitely had their heads turned by looking on jealously at Nintendo making shit loads of money from selling crappy, underpowered hardware.

Their own fault for following another company's vision as opposed to researching/creating their own. MS right now doesn't really have an identity and arguably haven't had one since Moore left. They need to hire someone whose a leader and STICK WITH HIM. Why do they have to keep changing leaders?

Krilekk

Banned

Because somehow they missed the point that Wii launched at $249 vs. the competition at $399 and $599. And now they want to do their own Wii by pricing it at $499 with the competition at $349 and $399. LOL!

Yeah, but I'm sure those contracts have stipulations about talking to the press and AMD would like to win contracts with MS and other companies in the future.

Lol. absolutely not. there's no way for MS to substantially change the terms of the contract based on "talking to the press." They pay AMD a fee per console sold, period. the design is already in use, and there's no way for MS to change it. same thing with sony.

as for "winning contracts in the future", who else is even capable of providing GPUs? Nvidia? they've already screwed up so badly with both companies I can't see either one using them anytime in the foreseeable future- and that's not even considering that Nvidia is trashing console gaming at every opportunity, while competing with it with the shield.

AMD is the only game in town for quite some time.

Busty

Banned
While I'm not a tech guy at all this all seems pretty interesting but I don't see how anyone could get upset over this.

Right from the get go MS implied either directly or indirectly that they were no longer interested in competing in the 'console tech cold war' so to see the PS4 implement something like this just reflects MS's current philosophy.

Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access.

It's not Heterogeneous.

It's just a phase it's going through.

...., tip waitress. Veal etc, etc.

None of this matters because the PS4 doesn't have infinite cloud power.

65% of the time it works all the time.

IDtenT

Neo Member
amusing, given your username.
Not often someone catches that at first glance.

but understandable. there's a lot of misinformation and marketing BS floating around about both consoles. easy to get confused.
I don't believe misinformation or confusion resulted in my defence. More it was the naivety to think that the MS devs would have foresight that Sony did not have, to buy into hUMA unconditionally. The signs were all there; but apparently I just read into things that never existed.

Razgreez

Did everyone ignore this post?

AMD said in April that hUMA is compatible with embedded memory like eDRAM or eSRAM. Just an interesting discussion point.

You, and just about everybody else, seems to be missing a key requirement for HuMA to function correctly. There's a reason why Cerny has mentioned the "volatile tag" so many times. Without the inherent ability to tag which data has changed valuable CPU time will need to be spent "re-pointing" to the previously cached data. Of course one could implement a software solution but it will never be as efficient/elegant as the built in hardware solution the PS4 utilizes

Cerny has gone out of his way to ensure the PS4 has the necessary technology built in to keep it from falling behind future technologies too quickly

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I'm a Xbox fanboy but sooner or later we're going to have to admit that MS's stupid design decisions around the architecture and relatively low spec for their GPU will have a detrimental effect on the performance of their machine.

As the days, months and years roll on. That poor design choices made by MS will further widen the performance gap between the two machines.

There is no point in defending MS and Xbox One relative to hardware.

TheHater

It doesn't matter who wins, they need both Sony and MS to sell as much units as possible. Also, they need to be neutral because it gonna affect future contract with both Sony and MS.

4lejandro

Good news, now someone make me a gif with Arnold with a M$ or X1 patch on his shirt saying IT'S NOT A HUMA, IT'S NOT, NOT A HUMA...

Or point me to it, 8 pages, I'm in the toilet¿ I'm sorry :(

Top Bottom