• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

Minions

pXel92C.jpg

Aw man; Making me laugh when I'm working is bad news. Huma sounds like another buzz word. It will take a year or two until we start seeing some real differences in games.

PJV3

I'm a Xbox fanboy but sooner or later we're going to have to admit that MS's stupid design decisions around the architecture and relatively low spec for their GPU will have a detrimental effect on the performance of their machine.

As the days, months and years roll on. That poor design choices made by MS will further widen the performance gap between the two machines.

There is no point in defending MS and Xbox One relative to hardware.

Yep, you can't polish a turd.

Will be interesting if the PS4 becomes the console for better performing multiplats this generation.

no need to speculate, this is a certainty. they're the same architecture, just one is a lot more powerful than the other and easier to program.

there's no realistic situation where a multiplatform game is going to look worse on ps4.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It doesn't matter who wins, they need both Sony and MS to sell as much units as possible. Also, they need to be neutral because it gonna affect future contract with both Sony and MS.

They actually don't, they are not selling the chips to Sony and MS, they have sold the design of the chip, the money AMD has made from them is not contingent on royalties going forward.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I love that BBQ's post is included in the OP as if he has any kind of proximity to the matter.

It found it to be relevant to AMD's claim that there will be performance differences. It's up to everybody to assess his credibility.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I love that BBQ's post is included in the OP as if he has any kind of proximity to the matter.
Do you have any news regarding bbq?

Seems like moderators don't doubt his status as someone with connection when he posts BoM breakdowns or pre-order numbers, despite the high visibility of those threads for several hours/days.

Chaostar

Guess Microsoft has no sense of hUMA.

Sorry if somebody already made this obvious joke, couldn't be bothered to check through the whole thread

Edit: yeah I found a few, I'm very slow today :(

ms didn't go with GDDR5 because they needed, not wanted, 8 gigs of RAM for their system due to the integrated TV functionality and OS swapping features. MS made the assumption that GDDR5 would not be available in sufficient densities to make this possible, so went with 8 gigs of ddr3, plus the esram to mitigate bandwidth problems.

Sony designed their system around 4 gigs of gddr5 initially, then increased it to 8 when increased densities became available at the last minute. basically a gamble for sony that paid off. had gddr5 been guaranteed at those densities as early as sony got it (it wasn't) MS would have gone that route.

I...actually agree. We agree on something, yay!

This reasoning should be obvious to people arguing otherwise by now.

Endo Punk

Kinect really was the bane for the future of the Xbox brand, I thought PSMove was going to do the same for Sony but I'm glad it didn't catch on. MS has deep pockets so it's really a shame they didn't get both Kinect 2.0 as well as a much more powerful system in comparison to PS4. If you told me in 2010 that PS4 will be more powerful I would have laughed.

nib95

Banned
Pretty interesting. Can't wait to see how this all plays out. Also just reaffirms my decision to pre order the PS4 over the Xbox One.

Perkel

Banned
I think real winner here is AMD/PC.

AMD without securing both next-gen platforms couldn't sell their tech to devs without moneyhatting them or something since they don't have big market share. Thanks to NG consoles devs will need to use AMD tech as main platform and they will need to learn and use things like hUMA.

Without NG consoles we could wait a lot of time when devs would try to use hUMA in PC market but now in year or two hUMA can become actual thing in PC and devs will support it.

Obviously it would be better if Xbone had hUMA but with PS4 devs will be free to explore and learn it.
Same with creating games with n+ cores instead of favorizing single core performance.

BigDug13

It doesn't matter who wins, they need both Sony and MS to sell as much units as possible. Also, they need to be neutral because it gonna affect future contract with both Sony and MS.

No it's not. Nvidia burned those bridges pretty hard with both Sony and MS. I don't see them going back unless Nvidia straight up makes an incredible deal with lots of contract wiggle room.

Walshicus

Do you have any news regarding bbq?

Seems like moderators don't doubt his status as someone with connection when he posts BoM breakdowns or pre-order numbers, despite the high visibility of those threads for several hours/days.
Just an opinion based on experience from the UK Poligaf thread.

TheHater

Kinect really was the bane for the future of the Xbox brand, I thought PSMove was going to do the same for Sony but I'm glad it didn't catch on. MS has deep pockets so it's really a shame they didn't get both Kinect 2.0 as well as a much more powerful system.
We would probably be looking at another $600 console if MS had a more powerful console + Kinict. I don't think anyone wants another $600 console

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Also, they need to be neutral because it gonna affect future contract with both Sony and MS.
If MS wants to throw a hissy-fit over a simple statement of truth, 3-4 yrs down the road when they may actually start investigating contracts for the next gen, they're more than free to paint themselves into a corner again like they did this time around...

bigmf

So what I take from this thread is that the magic hobgoblins inside the PS4 work together better than do the oompa-loompas inside the Xbox one.

I'll go back to banging rocks together and staring at fire now.

longdi

Banned
I am surprised at this!
Could we be seeing a difference between Xbox and PS2 again?
Still cant understand how MS fuck this up...$100 more and a bigger enclosure for less power? Who is the director in charge of X180 technology? He should be fired and disgraced!

They actually don't, they are not selling the chips to Sony and MS, they have sold the design of the chip, the money AMD has made from them is not contingent on royalties going forward.

Im pretty sure an AMD guy said on B3D that they are selling chips.
Not sure how happy Intel would be if they just license out x86.

Im pretty sure that was an big issue with Global foundry back then?

We would probably be looking at another $600 console if MS had a more powerful console + Kinict. I don't think anyone wants another $600 console

Tbh depends on the specs i would gladly pay $499 for an 2.5 Tflops machine.
This gen will probably loose it buzz pretty fast.

w00zey

Apparently people don't care about this--they just love Titanfall for some reason.

or they love that all of their friends are on xbox live. If specs were the only thing that mattered would the iphone sell many units? Some people are comfortable with what they know and the others don't get into the whole this is marginally better so I must have this version.

I do find it funny talking to friends who video game a lot but don't get into the nuances. They don't really care that the frame rate dips from time to time. They don't complain because the lighting isn't in real time. They don't even complain about minimal amount of jaggies. They just want fun games and if they are having fun then it all doesn't matter.

It is very akin to music in my opinion. The more you like a band and the more times you see them live, the more critical you are about every little detail. What song was just played and how does that relate to what wont be played later that night. Whether or not they did the extended version or the regular version. Did they do the new opening or did they speed up the pace. In the end you stop enjoying even seeing them live because what you have built up can't ever compete.

If anything people who don't pay attention probably get more pure enjoyment out of gaming.

Endo Punk

If they showed games that were clearly better I think it wouldn't have been a problem. With PS3 the $600 wasn't justified because the games weren't superior, we were paying a premium for blu-ray.

jond76

Banned
Apparently people don't care about this--they just love Titanfall for some reason.

Yeah, weird that people care more about the actual games they will play instead of some abstract concept they might not grasp.

"huh, this game looks like a lot of fun"
"WHAT? FUN?! Who cares about that when theres more chips man, chips!"

AMD saying PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One isn't politically incorrect. If you ask an AMD guy if the Xbox One is more powerful than the Wii U, what would you expect him to say? Act like a brick?

The GPU and APU design is completely licensed. The cpu is the one that is probably sold, because both Intel and AMD have different licenses on it.

BigDug13

I am surprised at this!
Could we be seeing a difference between Xbox and PS2 again?
Still cant understand how MS fuck this up...$100 more and a bigger enclosure for less power? Who is the director in charge of X180 technology? He should be fired and disgraced!

I don't think it's as simple as this. I honestly just think Cerny working on this console for years figured out what architecture would give the most bang for the buck and just made the smartest choice from an engineering standpoint. It's not so much that MS dropped the ball, it's more that Cerny knocked it out of the park. (iMO)

I'm a Xbox fanboy but sooner or later we're going to have to admit that MS's stupid design decisions around the architecture and relatively low spec for their GPU will have a detrimental effect on the performance of their machine.

I'm a Sony fanboy but I still recognize that there was a healthy amount of luck involved in the PS4's advantage. The folks at MS aren't 'stupid', they're really not; they simply could never have foreseen what was going to happen with GDDR5 availability and thus ruled it out when their strategy required 8GB. I do feel that Sony's design was always more elegant but the RAM parity sort of fell into their laps :)

All this tech talk and this long thread when in reality, no third party dev will take advantage of it. I feel like we get into these tech speeches all while refusing to admit that regardless of these hidden powers, only 1% of the gaming industry will use it.

Endo Punk

All this tech talk and this long thread when in reality, no third party dev will take advantage of it. I feel like we get into these tech speeches all while refusing to admit that regardless of these hidden powers, only 1% of the gaming industry will use it.

They are similar systems, it's just one is more powerful. It wont exactly cost extra to take advantage of those perks.

KidBeta

hUMA makes your life easier, so theres no reason not to use it.

lvlzero

Banned

its a low level implementation, not a tacked on feature - every single developer will be making use of it by default.

jayu26

Oh damn! You know the future.

Looks like things are looking good for Sony from a performance standpoint. Did Microsoft screw up that bad with their hardware? Things are looking lopsided.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm a Sony fanboy but I still recognize that there was a healthy amount of luck involved in the PS4's advantage. The folks at MS aren't 'stupid', they're really not; they simply could never have foreseen what was going to happen with GDDR5 availability and thus ruled it out when their strategy required 8GB. I do feel that Sony's design was always more elegant but the RAM parity sort of fell into their laps :)

Yes. I agree with this. I'd like to have been in the offices of the senior VP's of Xbox One land when the 8Gb of GDDR5 was announced.

IN&OUT

Banned
Cerny mentioned something about integrating some of AMDs future tech if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, that's why I preorderd PS4 with confidence :)

TheHater

Im pretty sure that was an big issue with Global foundry back then?

Tbh depends on the specs i would gladly pay $499 for an 2.5 Tflops machine.
This gen will probably loose it buzz pretty fast.
you are already paying $499, what makes you think a more powerful xbox one would cause $499 with Kinect? I'm thinking anywhere from $550 to $600.

If they showed games that were clearly better I think it wouldn't have been a problem. With PS3 the $600 wasn't justified because the games weren't superior, we were paying a premium for blu-ray.
But it was the cheapest blu-ray player on the market at the time lol

Vorg

Banned
So hUMA is the new

GDDR5
CELL Broadband Engine?
Reality Synthesizer?
Xenon GPU?

Can you use the PS4 to launch missiles now? Make it more powerful by sharing processing load with your hUMA powered toaster?

Seriously, I love this pre-launch hype.

Yes. I agree with this. I'd like to have been in the offices of the senior VP's of Xbox One land when the 8Gb of GDDR5 was announced.

Can you imagine?! Or right after Sony's E3 press conference?!

One day, many years from now when everyone is free to talk about it, the book will be written. And I can't wait to read it :)

BigDug13

So hUMA is the new

GDDR5
CELL Broadband Engine?
Reality Synthesizer?
Xenon GPU?

Can you now use the PS4 to launch missiles now? Make it more powerful by sharing processing load with your hUMA powered toaster?

Seriously, I love this pre-launch hype.

Unlike most of those things on your list, this design makes a developer's job way easier and will be utilized to its full extent faster.

Endo Punk

But it was the cheapest blu-ray player on the market at the time lol

True but that was a time when no one gave a shit about blu ray so it was still expensive. Whereas MS provided superior gaming hardware at a much better price point. I find it hilarious how it's the opposite this gen.

Top Bottom