• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD R9 390X benchmarks leak

JJKillaNOLE

Neo Member
The problem is, I don't exactly want to move away from Nvidia, it just doesn't help that the 980 and Titan X are super fucking expensive. I'm sure the 980 Ti will be pretty pricy too.
Well if you think the 980 is expensive, then the 980 ti will be more expensive than that. But of course less than the Titan.

Subjective.

In my gaming circle, the first thing that everyone does is crank down all the settings until the frame rate doesn't drop below 120+. In anything competitive (which SC would qualify as for us), we'll turn down every setting just to make the core gameplay more clear and easier to see, things like shadows and post processing is almost always the first to go.

I was agreeing with you earlier though?

I mean it depends heavily on the game (metro 2033 is nice at 120, but is still pretty great at 60 with a lot less aliasing). Though competitive games are much nicer at 120. Most of things you need to sacrafice for framerate though have nothing to do with texture quality. So it is a shame when a game makes you do that due to such a seemingly inane category (VRAM).

Durante

I heard shadowplay has limitations and the games have to be fullscreen.
No, Shadowplay has supported desktop capture and higher resolutions for a long time now. Especially the former is very important for me since I use borderless windowed fullscreen a lot.

Honestly, Shadowplay works better than any dedicated capture cards I am aware of which are less than $1000.

mkenyon

Banned
No, Shadowplay has supported desktop capture and higher resolutions for a long time now. Especially the former is very important for me since I use borderless windowed fullscreen a lot.

Honestly, Shadowplay works better than any dedicated capture cards I am aware of which are less than $1000.
Better than the Avermedia C985?

Suppose the only other benefit of a capture card is that you can put it in a different PC entirely to completely offload the streaming/capturing process.

Durante

Better than the Avermedia C985?
By far. Shadowplay allows capture of up to 4k 60 FPS, that card does 1080p at 30. Really, you don't get in that realm with consumer capture equipment right now.

Suppose the only other benefit of a capture card is that you can put it in a different PC entirely to completely offload the streaming/capturing process.
The real benefit is capturing non-PC sources in my opinion. The good thing is that those also have generally lower output resolution :p

Justinh

By far. Shadowplay allows capture of up to 4k 60 FPS, that card does 1080p at 30.

Whoa!

That's...quite a difference. I've not had much experience, just recording people flying after shooting them with a shotgun in Far Cry 4. I liked, though, how easy and pain free it was. Is anyone familiar with AMD's GVR (I think it's called?). Does it have similar "limitations" and ease-of-use?

Man, the GPU market has been so stagnant lately. AMD really need to get their shit together and offer some real competition.

Really hoping this is the first sign of that.

Crisium

This is probably pretty accurate of what performance will be. If Nvidia holds back the 980Ti for whatever reason, AMD can happily place this card in the $649-$749 range. Bad news for AMD is that a 980Ti with 6GB will be much more attractive, so they will have to undercut it.

AMD has had the memory advantage since the 4000 series, and don't underestimate them this time around. HBM1 might mean they have to do 4GB, but HBM is called "high bandwidth memory" for a reason. Stick to the benchmarks to find the truth; you will find none in irrelevant fanboys laughing. If these benchmarks are true, 4GB is fine for 4K.

Look at the facts. The 295X2 is 4GB, 980 SLI is 4 GB, and these cards (especially the latter) still consistently beat the Titan X as long as multicard drivers are working. Hell look at the OP, how many 4GB setups are beating the Titan X? 3.5GB 970 SLI beats a Titan X at 4K when the drivers are sound. 3GB 780Ti beats the 3.5GB 970, 4GB 290 (non x), and 6GB Titan at 4K. It really depends how this thing is priced, but 4GB alone is not as much as a pejorative feature as some of you think. Only if it costs the same or more than a 980Ti 6GB is AMD in trouble. But I think it will be less, and then it's easily the best choice from a price-performance standpoint. We shall see.

Why hasn't the OP been updated that these are old, and recent rumors say it'll have 8GB?

He even acknowledged that is old after people pointed it out, yet just left the OP like that smh

x3sphere

Look at the facts. The 295X2 is 4GB, 980 SLI is 4 GB, and these cards (especially the latter) still consistently beat the Titan X as long as multicard drivers are working. Hell look at the OP, how many 4GB setups are beating the Titan X? 3.5GB 970 SLI beats a Titan X at 4K when the drivers are sound. 3GB 780Ti beats the 3.5GB 970, 4GB 290 (non x), and 6GB Titan at 4K. It really depends how this thing is priced, but 4GB alone is not as much as a pejorative feature as some of you think. Only if it costs the same or more than a 980Ti 6GB is AMD in trouble. But I think it will be less, and then it's easily the best choice from a price-performance standpoint. We shall see.

Having run into several situations at only 3440x1440 where 4GB wasn't enough with a GTX980 SLI setup I don't agree.

I ran out of VRAM in Wolfenstein, Shadow of Mordor, and GTA V (with MSAA on). If you're on the borderline of not having enough VRAM, it doesn't always translate to a significantly lower average FPS, but you'll get stuttering. If the game flat out requires more VRAM than your card has at all times, then FPS will drop to single digits.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't get it.

When games like GTA V, maxed, are already using more than 4GBs of memory at 1080p (tried it myself to see how much it would use), putting 4GB on the flagship card seems stupid, unless it is a physical limitation of HBM.

Nice try though.

The same people laughing at 4GB probably have 970, 980, or SLI configurations of those. I am laughing myself too.

Nah, I'm waiting myself for 8GB cards, been for a while. Will probably have to wait until HBM2, I'll not waste my money on a 4GB card. Keep laughing though, it is funny to watch.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I don't plan to make a decision before this fall on which GPU to but its looking pretty strong for 390x.

Because of the launch window of the 390x I'm guessing its going to be the most DX12 compliant GPU on the market or does the Titian-X feature full DX12 support even though it was released before DX12.

Irobot82

Having run into several situations at only 3440x1440 where 4GB wasn't enough with a GTX980 SLI setup I don't agree.

I ran out of VRAM in Wolfenstein, Shadow of Mordor, and GTA V (with MSAA on). If you're on the borderline of not having enough VRAM, it doesn't always translate to a significantly lower average FPS, but you'll get stuttering. If the game flat out requires more VRAM than your card has at all times, then FPS will drop to single digits.

I wonder about how this will affect things. So for you, I assume you run into microstuttering as the VRAM is offloading and loading up different data right? So with HBM since it's so fast will this become a non issue?

I wonder about how this will affect things. So for you, I assume you run into microstuttering as the VRAM is offloading and loading up different data right? So with HBM since it's so fast will this become a non issue?

No, it will still stutter just like any config. Drawing from system ram or the disk is super slow regardless of how fast your VRAM is.

elelunicy

Look at the facts. The 295X2 is 4GB, 980 SLI is 4 GB, and these cards (especially the latter) still consistently beat the Titan X as long as multicard drivers are working. Hell look at the OP, how many 4GB setups are beating the Titan X? 3.5GB 970 SLI beats a Titan X at 4K when the drivers are sound.

Obviously multi-gpu setups beat a Titan X if the game doesn't use much VRAM. Completely a different story when the game needs to use more than 4GB VRAM.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Videocards-GEFORCE_GTX_TITAN_X-test-acu.jpg
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Videocards-GEFORCE_GTX_TITAN_X-test-mordor.jpg

Pimpbaa

You said Star Citizen 1080P uses over 4GB of RAM. What does that mean for 970s, 980s, and their SLI rigs then? If a 980 4GB will play the game fine, so will a 390X.

If turning down texture detail and other rather hungry effects in future games is running "fine" then yes. 4GB is ok NOW, but we already have examples of games going over 4GB. Particularly if you are going over 1080p. Hell even the launch title Killzone Shadow Fall on the PS4 used over 3.5GB for vram usage. Buying a top end or near top end video card with just barely enough vram for current games just doesn't make much sense. Even the lowly Geforce 960 now comes with 4GB of ram.

Toski

yep, it´s been too much time on 28nm, 14/16nm Finfet will bring a big performance boost.

Next year is going to be fun with the GTX1080/490X. My guess is Nvidia will win simply because they have more money and stability to throw around.

It really baffles me that NVidia can have such a mind blowing fiasco like the RAM issue, and still have the very same GPU dominate the market.

Well the 970 actually is a good card, and there aren't very many situations where a game uses exactly between 3.5 GB and 4 GB of RAM where the issue would be dramatically obvious versus a 980.

Bizzquik

So....we're thinking the rumored 4GB VRAM size is legit?

...if so, I won't get interested until Sapphire, XFX, et al turn out 8GB variants.

Irobot82

So....we're thinking the rumored 4GB VRAM size is legit?

...if so, I won't get interested until Sapphire, XFX, et al turn out 8GB variants.

We aren't positive 8GB it is possible with HBM 1. There is a rumor from the likes of WCCFTech that you can use a dual link interposer (I think that's what it's called). But I haven't seen proof from anywhere else.

Bizzquik

We aren't positive 8GB it is possible with HBM 1. There is a rumor from the likes of WCCFTech that you can use a dual link interposer (I think that's what it's called). But I haven't seen proof from anywhere else.

Understood. Thanks for catching me up!

Jimrpg

Whether 4gb is enough or not enough technically is besides the point. There's plenty of enthusisiast buyers that will probably get the titan X for fear of not having enough ram in the future.

If these benchmarks are right, I can't see the 390X being any less than $700. It looks like it performs at Titan X levels.

WCCFTech rumors are just for funsies. Don't take anything they post seriously, they aren't as useless as SemiAccurate but they really aren't much better either.

JJKillaNOLE

Neo Member

I agree. It's so much more than average FPS. Most people just look at the average FPS and think that's the end all be all. You also need to take into account Frame Times. The Tech Report did a fantastic job at comparing the "experience" of gaming on a 295x2 compared to a Titan X. Even though the average frame rates were higher for the 295x2, that doesn't necesessarly translate to a better gaming experience.

http://techreport.com/review/27969/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-graphics-card-reviewed/12

Crisium

And....how loud is it...how hot does it run?

That power consumption in performance for watt will actually be quite good, only beaten by Maxwell. Same power as 290X but 49% faster? That's awesome.

And yes, it should be rather quiet. They are confirmed to use water cooling for the reference.

More good info here, including:

- "16GB would be hard, but 8GB is well within specs from Hynix."
- Why Water cooling on a small PCB?
- Why HBM?
- Why 28nm and not 20nm?
- Why Fiji is an evolution of Tonga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twk-0On2Exg

This is a confirmed picture.

Top Bottom