• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

I liked the episode, but that kind of side story on a full episode does not belong to a short season, specially as the one before the finale. If it was a 20 episodes season yes, but only 8? The story is dragging.

watership

I liked the episode, but that kind of side story on a full episode does not belong to a short season, specially as the one before the finale. If it was a 20 episodes season yes, but only 8? The story is dragging.

The pacing is terrible in this show. The writing, acting and production is all great. I just can't care too much about what's going on. It took 5 episodes to really understand some of the players involved. There is no forward motion, no urgency, no focus on plot. It's glacial for sure, but so is Fargo. And Fargo never keeps you waiting to make you wait to get drawn in to the actual story.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The pacing is terrible in this show. The writing, acting and production is all great. I just can't care too much about what's going on. It took 5 episodes to really understand some of the players involved. There is no forward motion, no urgency, no focus on plot. It's glacial for sure, but so is Fargo. And Fargo never keeps you waiting to make you wait to get drawn in to the actual story.

The pace is one thing I suspect will never change. The author tweeted about where he hopes the show is by the end of season 2 and it's still pretty fucking early in the book lol. I don't really mind too much, personally. But I can definitely sympathize. It's actually what killed this episode for me a little. It was good, but not what I was expecting for the penultimate episode of the season.

Kadayi

Banned
A curious diversion from the main narrative, but not necessarily an unpleasant one, though I did find the reuse of the actors kind of weird. I guess it served some purpose (obviously McSweeney would be the same), but still jarring to some degree.

It's a road trip, you have segues in the middle to get to the destination, jeez.

Patience man. Enjoy the ride, cause the destination isnt the real fruit of the journey, its about developing the space you're in and enjoying it.

TankUP

Episode 7 reassured me that this is a show for me. I haven't necessarily been feeling it (the Vulcan episode in particular was a low point for me, so heavy-handed) but "Prayer for Mad Sweeney" is everything I want from an adaptation of the book. New content (the modern storyline) and a beautiful adaptation of one of the best interludes from the novel, all in one awesome package.

Monocle

I didnt enjoy that episode at all.
That's too bad.

Watched it at 2x speed.
Oh look I found the problem.

Why do people do this to themselves? You're playing havoc with the pacing, performances, music—everything that goes into telling the story and setting the mood. You collapse all the moments that give you time to fully resigister what's going on, to feel it and not just know it. You'd do just as well skateboarding through a museum.

Next time read an episode summary and save yourself some time.

Didn't really care much for the latest episode. Especially after they cut Salim loose. I mean it wasn't bad, but it's also easy to skip because it really didn't add much.

Nikodemos

I didn't make that connection considering we haven't met the character yet...
She (and her totemic animal) are present in one of the promo shots. Not much of a spoiler. Also, the fact that she's
the goddess of rebirth, thus the one Sweeney is going to,
isn't much of a spoiler either, if you know mythology.

Alpende

I liked the episode. The backstory of Mad Sweeney was a nice addition and the revelation that he killed Laura on Wednesday's orders was unexpected to me.

jett

D-Member
This episode was was pure filler. That doesn't make much sense to me in a 8-episode season. Fuller must be really like Emily Browning. And cocks. American Gods must be setting a new record for most cocks shown on TV.

edit: The Easter shit. At least attempt to have a modicum of respect for people that haven't read the book.

Unless it furthers the main story it's a waste? I don't get it, what is wrong with just exploring the side stories like the book did? I was worried they wouldn't do that in the show, so glad they have done it this way. What's the rush?

If you want to plough through the main story just read the book.

Nikodemos

edit: The Easter shit. At least attempt to have a modicum of respect for people that haven't read the book.
LOL. I haven't read the book either. I make it a point of not reading fiction books, especially if there's a chance they'll be turned into movies or TV series.

I just happen to be quite well versed in (mostly European) mythology.

Wonderful episode. Reminded me of Assassination of Jesse James with the narration.

With that said.

It feels weird to me to have all these side characters introduced(Bilquis, Nancy,
Easter
) when we've got only one episode left. Not sure how it would finish because I've read only the first four chapters of the book, but what we got so far feels like a part of a 22 episode season, not a full one. How do those of you that know the full story feel about that?

Monocle

Wonderful episode. Reminded me of Assassination of Jesse James with the narration.

With that said.

It feels weird to me to have all these side characters introduced(Bilquis, Nancy,
Easter
) when we've got only one episode left. Not sure how it would finish because I've read only the first four chapters of the book, but what we got so far feels like a part of a 22 episode season, not a full one. How do those of you that know the full story feel about that?
Agreed, it's odd how slowly this season has advanced the main plot. It seemed like the show was on track through Episode 3, then it went off on all sorts of tangents, albeit interesting character-oriented ones.

It's as though Fuller has no fear of cancellation. Admirable in a way, but at this rate the story won't reach its conclusion for another four seasons, maybe three if it reels in the sideplots. I fear for the show's future.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's as though Fuller has no fear of cancellation. Admirable in a way, but at this rate the story won't reach its conclusion for another four seasons, maybe three if it reels in the sideplots. I fear for the show's future.

He can always course correct in season 2 if he's getting the sense that it's not going to get 5 seasons.

royalan

Frankly, I just don't find Laura to be an interesting character.

Asshole who hates her parents and feels lost in a strange world...yawn.

I LOVE the side stories, the world building stories. But the main plotlines that are supposed to hold this narrative together are completely boring.

Laura will probably make me drop this show if she keeps being the focus of it, she is the worst part of it, she is angst personified, the kind that makes you yawn. It also feels they are dragging the pacing of the show down just for the sake of giving her more screen time.

Unless it furthers the main story it's a waste? I don't get it, what is wrong with just exploring the side stories like the book did? I was worried they wouldn't do that in the show, so glad they have done it this way. What's the rush?

If you want to plough through the main story just read the book.

Filler goes in the middle of a series, or at the very least middle of a season. Not the penultimate episode. Along with that it should at least be interesting. This is the first episode I've actually found myself looking to my phone because so much of it was just nothing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I mean it gave
mad sweeney motivation and made him a much more interesting character and also basically confirmed beyond any doubt Wednesday tampering with Shadows life before they met.

Zoe

I mean it gave
mad sweeney motivation and made him a much more interesting character and also basically confirmed beyond any doubt Wednesday tampering with Shadows life before they met.

You didn't need to spoiler that.

But yeah, I didn't see his role in her death coming. Did they show the crows the first time we saw her death?

Filler goes in the middle of a series, or at the very least middle of a season. Not the penultimate episode. Along with that it should at least be interesting. This is the first episode I've actually found myself looking to my phone because so much of it was just nothing.

I didn't actually consider any of that episode filler. It's was just another story set in the world of American Gods. Not sure why every show has to follow some strict structure?

Man, a lot of people here seem to be in a rush to get...where, exactly? The show AND the book is a roadtrip, not a race to the finish.

Like the guy who watched this at 2x speed, just...why?! Why would you give a show half an hour of your time if you're not interested enough in what happens to let it unfold on its own? You see a movie for two hours worth of entertainment and to be told a story, not to get to the end as fast as possible.

Anyways, I love this show to bits. It reminds me of Carnivale in all the right ways and none of the wrong ones. Eight episodes per season is a huge bummer, though.

Top Bottom