• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, I'm now on the fuck them side of this. He killed the wrong lion in a country where it's legal to kill lions. He doesn't deserve this.
It wasn't that it was the wrong lion. It's illegal to lure animals out of protected areas such as national parks to then hunt them in legal areas. He was involved in luring a lion out of a national park.

Umibozu

It wasn't that it was the wrong lion. It's illegal to lure animals out of protected areas such as national parks to then hunt them in legal areas. He was involved in luring a lion out of a national park.
A little off topic and I may be wrong but they do this in the US in yellowstone with bison/buffalo. I saw it on a pbs documentary a few years back, can't remember the doc's name though

the hunter's actions are reprehensible, but I think that situation happens more often than we care to acknowledge. It just so happened that this time it was a well known animal

Why in the blue fuck would you hunt a goddamned giraffe ? They're not even a fucking predator. They look like total nards when they even attempt aggression by flogging each other with their stupidly long necks.

Giraffes can kill lions with their hooves

Be glad they have a prey mind, otherwise they'd be the rulers of everything (lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lEmUtpkEc

She killed one of the predators of her (dead) offspring.

Btw, no one that is into hunting will understand why they kill any animal at all. You either feel it like a right thing to do or you don't do it. It's like trying to understand why people eat century eggs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, I'm now on the fuck them side of this. He killed the wrong lion in a country where it's legal to kill lions. He doesn't deserve this.

Well, there is some evidence that suggests his ignorance of the illegitimacy of his hunt was not all in good faith. That, with the fact that he has a prior precedent of being in trouble with the law for hunting-related issues makes me question his story. I don't condone the vigilante mob and all the collateral damage it has caused, though.

Giraffes can kill lions with their hooves

Be glad they have a prey mind, otherwise they'd be the rulers of everything (lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lEmUtpkEc

She killed one of the predators of her (dead) offspring.

Btw, no one that is into hunting will understand why they kill any animal at all. You either feel it like a right thing to do or you don't do it. It's like trying to understand why people eat century eggs.

Who is the giraffe that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
SHAFT!
Can you dig it?

That video is nuts

MJPIA

Cecil's cubs are alive and well so far.
And they're so fluffy and adorable.
http://africageographic.com/blog/cubs-doing-okay-after-cecils-death/
cecils-cubs-spotted-by-african-bush-camps.jpg

cecil-cubs-in-hwange-national-park.jpg

More pictures at the link.

Just saw this as well and figured I'd share it since the guy who tracked Cecil for 9 years talks about hunting.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33813751

Three little spots on a cracked smartphone screen show Brent Stapelkamp the last known locations of Jericho the lion.

Every two hours his tracking collar pings the satellite and it's clear on the map that the lion, who was Cecil's buddy, has left the protection of Hwange National Park and ventured onto private hunting land.

It's the same place where Cecil was killed and Jericho, who led the pride with him, has spent a lot of time there recently - calling for his friend.

Brent, who is a field researcher with Oxford University's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, had been following Cecil for nine years and it was he who discovered the lion had been killed.
The international reaction to the killing of the famous lion has sparked fierce debate over whether "trophy hunting" should be banned.

But there's little debate here, even among conservationists.

Brent Stapelkamp's position is not surprising: "Personally I don't want to see lion hunting ever again - just because of the way lions react to it."

But he doesn't want it banned.

"Hunting can be a valuable component to conservation. If a property has a hunting quota and that money comes back from hunting into the management of the land, it's not going to be at risk," he said.

"So we have to be careful. The world reaction might polarise things and hunting might be banned outright.

"I think we have to be very cautious about how this momentum can be used."
Trevor Lane from the Bhejane Trust conservation group says there is a far greater threat to the land from poaching.

This can either be from commercial poaching for elephant tusks or rhino horns - or subsistence poaching by impoverished local people snaring a deer to eat, but killing big game as well.

"If we took the hunting out of those areas without offering an alternative, they would be poached out within two years. There would be nothing left," he said.

"The hunting brings in revenue. I know it's a terrible thing to some people, but we have to be practical and we have to be realistic here.

"Whether we lose a few animals, which pays for the conservation, or whether we lose the whole lot is the option faced in many areas.

"We just don't have the finance or the ability to look after those areas. If there was an alternative I'm sure everyone would look at it."

Many here hope the outcome of the investigation and the attention to the system will mean better protection for the animals, but it all comes down to funding.

"There's a general agreement our current regulations and statues suffice, but maybe we have to do more in terms of monitoring and enforcement," said Edison Chidziya, director general of Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management.

The global focus on Cecil has brought the whole industry together. There is optimism it will tighten regulations and squeeze those who have been breaking the law.

But by focusing on trophy hunters above all else, public opinion is perhaps missing a bigger point.

Poaching is driving many species towards extinction and there are other parts of the hunting industry here and across Africa that would benefit from closer scrutiny.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"If we took the hunting out of those areas without offering an alternative, they would be poached out within two years. There would be nothing left," he said.

"The hunting brings in revenue. I know it's a terrible thing to some people, but we have to be practical and we have to be realistic here.

"Whether we lose a few animals, which pays for the conservation, or whether we lose the whole lot is the option faced in many areas.

"We just don't have the finance or the ability to look after those areas. If there was an alternative I'm sure everyone would look at it."

A prime example of the "lesser of two evils" argument right here. It's sad, but it's the reality we must face.

Talonz

This entire situation makes me hate the human species. It really does make me very depressed. Why do we have to kill everything and anything?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This entire situation makes me hate the human species. It really does make me very depressed. Why do we have to kill everything and anything?

If that were actually true, we'd have gone extinct by now. We're not perfect, but we're getting better as a species. Look to the good of humanity as well.

rambis

Banned
I mean you say this as if other species don't kill. You probably better be glad that humans evolved into such good killers.

squall23

Because we're Chinese and we've been eating it since we were kids?

Talonz

I mean you say this as if other species don't kill. You probably better be glad that humans evolved into such good killers.

See though we are smart enough to know there are very few lions left and they could go extinct. Other animals don't know that. They are just born with instincts. We have some responsibility in the matter I feel.

but the other species don't kill at the same level for fun as humans do.
I think if there was a general fund for species protection that would be a good start for alternatives to hunting. of course the question is how to fund it. perhaps in the form of fees from all the nations and have it administered by the UN. maybe heavy fines to the nations that deal in ivory or other animal parts.

Radec

If that were actually true, we'd have gone extinct by now. We're not perfect, but we're getting better as a species. Look to the good of humanity as well.

Looking at WW1, WW2 and other wars , humanity right now really is the best one.

It just sucks for other creatures when humans are not killing each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom