• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What happens to the cubs now? I'm terrified to think they won't make it much longer after all of this.

That's the part that gets me the most. I mean people feared the other lion would kill the cubs, but he actually took care of them. It was like the perfect ending...

KC Denton

So what's going to happen to the lion cubs now? At this point I'm pretty sure they're going to be killed by whoever takes the dead lion's place in the pride.

That's it for the cubs. With both Cecil and Jericho dead it's only a matter of days/weeks before a rogue male shows up and kills the lot...

Fucking hell.

Syriel

They weren't going to survive much longer, the killing of the brother lion doesn't change their fate much.

Jericho had adopted the pride. He was protecting Cecil's cubs as if they were his own.

They were bros.

PAY-Cecil-and-Jericho.jpg

abuC

Theres been some discussion that Jericho likely would have protected them.

Jericho had adopted the pride. He was protecting Cecil's cubs as if they were his own.

They were bros.

PAY-Cecil-and-Jericho.jpg

It's unlikely that he would be able to stop a hostile takeover by some younger males without Cecil there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5YGyd1dD4

He would have to protect them for 2-3 more years before they reach a size they could protect themselves.

This is why that article on Vox is stupid. Chances are these men will never face any consequences for this actions if it wasn't for internet protest. Granted, I don't believe the internet should kill the man, but this is probably the only way these men face any kind of punishment.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I guess one positive outcome would be Zimbabwe outlaws all Lion hunting. I don't really feel bad for them (People of Zimbabwe) just because the lions they give a shit about were killed while they allow other ones to be hunted.

This is why that article on Vox is stupid. Chances are these men will never face any consequences for this actions if it wasn't for internet protest. Granted, I don't believe the internet should kill the man, but this is probably the only way these men face any kind of punishment.

What punishment is fair though? This is a country where it's legal to kill lions. Just because two they care about were killed instead of the ones that are "OK" to kill? I put a lot more blame on the Government than the poachers or this Dentist.

entremet

I guess one positive outcome would be Zimbabwe outlaws all Lion hunting. I don't really feel bad for them (People of Zimbabwe) just because the lions they give a shit about were killed while they allow other ones to be hunted.

What punishment is fair though? This is a country where it's legal to kill lions. Just because two they care about were killed instead of the ones that are "OK" to kill? I put a lot more blame on the Government than the poachers or this Dentist.

It's more complex than that.

Trophy hunting brings money to that poor nation.

I don't like trophy hunting, but we need to be aware of the economic realities too.

Actually the people of Zimbabwe don't give a shit about the lions:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/30/us-zimbabwe-wildlife-lion-idUSKCN0Q41VB20150730
"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"
"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the center of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."

Interesting.

It's quite a common sentiment. The conservation efforts often forced people off the lands they've been living on for centuries. Money usually never makes it to the people who were promised it and then the lions or elephants they can't hunt kill them. I've said this before but I believe many conservation efforts are preserving an Africa that only exists in Disney movies so white people can come visit the "natural" splendor. To me, much of it smells of a colonial mindset where the west is enforcing its ideals of a natural Africa with no regard for the actual situation on the ground and costing the lives of the people who actually live near these areas and don't just vacation there.

What random people think about a matter is not relevant to the morality or the legal status of that matter.

Random as in the people actually affected by the situation?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think people of Zimbabwe have so many things to worry about that it's somehow understandable that lions are not among their concern, so I wouldn't blame them. But things can be done on the part of civilised countries, like banning the import of hunting trophies.

Random as in the people actually affected by the situation?

I don't know, let's ask some random people in India about the status of women in their community for example.

MJPIA

Yeah, sounds like he's still alive.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...licting-information-lions-brother-also-killed
But the Bhejane Trust, about an hour later, put up its own Facebook post saying Jericho was fine.

“False information being put out about Jericho – brother to Cecil – being shot today,” the group posted.

“According to Brent Staplekamp at Hwange Lion Research, Jericho was alive and well at 8:30 tonight and moving around Antoinette Estate ( where Cecil was shot) with a female. I can assure you no one is hunting lion on Antoinette after the Cecil incident!! This false information probably stems from a current Parks investigation into another lion shot on a nearby farm on 2nd July. More information to follow.”

Then, about 4 p.m. Chicago time, the Bhejane Trust posted this on Facebook:

“Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management officially confirmed Jericho is still alive and well in Hwange National Park.”

However, the wildlife authority had no information to that effect posted on its website as of late Saturday afternoon.

Zimbabwe is seven hours ahead of Chicago.

A lion researcher in Zimbabwe also cast doubt on the report of the shooting death of the second lion.

The satellite collar on Jericho has been sending normal signals, indicating the lion is alive and moving around, researcher Brent Stapelkamp told The Associated Press.

And though the Conservation Task Force referred to Jericho as Cecil’s brother, the Associated Press called him a “companion,” adding that Cecil had befriended Jericho, according to Stapelkamp. Together they oversaw two prides, one with three lionesses and oversaw two prides, one with three lionesses and seven cubs and another with three lionesses.

Zimbabwe park and wildlife authority has made some changes.
http://www.zimparks.org/index.php/m...-the-administartion-of-hunting-in-the-country
PRESS STATEMENT BY ZIMBABWE PARKS AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY ON MEASURES TO IMPROVE THE ADMINISTARTION OF HUNTING IN THE COUNTRY

Following the illegal killing of an iconic lion, Cecil, outside the Hwange National Park on Antoinette farm in Gwayi River Conservancy on the 1st of July 2015, it has become necessary that the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority further tightens hunting regulations in all areas outside the Parks Estate.

The Authority working with other law enforcement agencies has launched a crackdown to weed out any undesirable elements. To date our law enforcement agencies are following up on all found or reported cases and they have since arrested another culprit, Headman Sibanda, on allegations of breaching hunting regulations. He is currently assisting Police with investigations.

Further to that crackdown the following measures are going to be implemented immediately;

1. Hunting of lions, leopards and elephant in areas outside of Hwange National Parks has been suspended with immediate effect. All such hunts will only be conducted if confirmed and authorized in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, and only if accompanied by parks staff whose costs will be met by the landowner.

2. Bow hunting has been suspended with immediate effect and no such hunting will be conducted unLESS it has been confirmed and authorized in writing by the Director-General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority.

3. Members of the hunting fraternity are being reminded that it is illegal for quotas to be transferred from one hunting area to another. Any case of quota transfer is regarded as poaching. The Authority will not hesitate to arrest, prosecute, and ban for life any persons including professional hunters, clients and land owners who are caught on the wrong side of the law.

All players in the hunting industry are being reminded to familiarize themselves with the relevant statutes governing the wildlife industry. Further, the Authority would like to appeal to all members of the public that they should report any SUSPECTED illegal WILDLIFE activities to the nearest offices of Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, Zimbabwe Republic Police and other Government law enforcement agencies.

E. Chidziya

DIRECTOR-GENERAL

Yrael

Does that mean we don't care about him anymore?

No it doesn't, it's a correction to the story. I'm certainly very happy that he's still alive and well (although not happy if another lion has been killed). His survival means the continued protection of the cubs of their pride.

MJPIA

To those of you who want to help here's your chance.
http://www.zimparks.org/index.php/m...fic-wildlife-conservation-and-monitoring-fund
Government is very much aware of the financial implications on the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, the Safari Industry, CAMPFIRE Communities and Wildlife Producers affected by this suspension and therefore appeals for funding from the donor community and well-wishers to assist Zimbabwe Parks and Management Authority to thoroughly investigate operations of this important hunting industry. Financial resources generated will ensure that Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has sufficient capacity to monitor the activities of this important hunting industry as required by law. Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has set up a specific wildlife conservation and monitoring fund for this purpose and well-wishers can deposit the funds into

Barclays Bank, Mgundumu Safaris Branch Code 2157 Account Number 6614241.
I will point out that yes the press release has spelling errors in it.
Zimparks.org is however the official site of the Zimbabwe parks and wildlife management authority.

I feel like this is as good a time as any to mention that the park and wildlife authority was spun off from the government into its own separate entitity in the early 2000's and does not receive any funding from Zimbabwe's government for day to day operations.
For 2014 they requested US 28 million from the government and got 1.5 million, the majority of which was earmarked for vehicles, infrastructure repair and various equipment for fighting poachers.
All their other funding comes from donations and various fees attached to hunting and tourism.

All stakeholders who include wildlife producers, professional hunters, safari operators association of Zimbabwe ,CAMPFIRE Districts, Wildlife Civic society groups and Zimbabwe Conservation Task force , are being called for an urgent meeting at Zimparks HQ AT 10:00AM on the 4th of August 2015
Sounds like something big is going to happen.

Who wants to read something "fun"?
http://libertariangaming.org/tag/zimparks/

Calamari41

41 > 38

Why not just take a picture of it?

The grandmother of one of my best friends runs a photo safari business in Kenya. She has hundreds, maybe even thousands, of amazing photos of animals like this where they're living their lives. Even the worst photos are infinitely more impressive and show a much more meaningful connection than a head on a wall or a picture of a person standing over a lifeless body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom