• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

With Wii U selling maybe 20 million only, is extremely unlikely that Xbox One sold less than 50 million.

That depends on how much the console market stagnates or even shrinks this gen, and also on how much the PS4 dominates by. If the PS4 sells 120 million lifetime again like the PS2, there won't be a lot of air left in the room for the Xbone much less the Wii U.

The PS2 gen was PS2 at 120 million and the OG Xbox and GC at around 20 million each IIRC.

Great numbers, though I expected more of EU. Maybe they didn't ship more.

Now with a successful start, they can work extra hard on some good games. Mine is only a fancy Bluray player at the moment.

allan-bh

That depends on how much the console market stagnates or even shrinks this gen, and also on how much the PS4 dominates by. If the PS4 sells 120 million lifetime again like the PS2, there won't be a lot of air left in the room for the Xbone much less the Wii U.

I think the market will shrink, but I don't see PS4 being the PS2 that absolutely crushed the others.

People are underestimating Xbox One, it's a strong competitor.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
Got to say here in Oz, it looks pretty bleak for MS. There are xbox ones everywhere. Everyone has lots of stock and they just aint sellin. Ps 4 sold out through preorders and the second shipment im lead to believe has also been sold on on preorders. Someone in EB told me they might not have stock until March 2014. I am sad to see what MS has done to the xbox this gen. Make no mistakes people will loose their jobs at MS over this, and this may well be the last MS console.

snap0212

That's usually what happens and that is a good thing. I feel MS needs another kick in the rear-end to pick up the pace again..especially with more exclusives.
I'm not sure this is the case with Microsoft. To me, it really seems like Microsoft is either “King” from the get go or not; they're not very good at catching up.

Just take Windows Phone or the Zune player as an example. Windows Phone didn't take off from the start and now they're lagging behind and are not even considered a real part of the smartphone eco system. I would have thought that they'd be going all out with Windows Phone, adding things left and right and handing out money to important developers to get them to make an app for their phone, but this didn't happen at all. Windows Phone is still lagging behind after many years.

With Wii U selling maybe 20 million only, is extremely unlikely that Xbox One sold less than 50 million.

"Only"?

The Wii U isn't selling anywhere near 20 million even if Nintendo for whatever reason decides to support it for 6+ years. Right now even under 10 million could totally happen depending on how their support in 2015 looks.

Pooya

well, is Wii U going to sell 20m? That seems too high based on current situation, yeah I know some analysts expect that many, same analysts expected like 5m until end of March first!

I just don't see it with current momentum or lack of it should I say. Are retailers going to carry it all in most parts of the world?

Awesome, they're gonna sell whatever they ship but it's nice they shipped that much.

The real battle hasn't even started yet. When supply meets demand that's when we'll see if the king is back.
I believe.
bullshit. xbo didn't sell all they shipped neither did the WiiU. This is hype and demand pure and simple.

allan-bh

"Only"?

The Wii U isn't selling anywhere near 20 million even if Nintendo for whatever reason decides to support it for 6+ years. Right now even under 10 million could totally happen depending on how their support in 2015 looks.

Under 10 million is too low. Nintendo franchises are capable to put the console around 20m

Rootbeer

Banned
Off to a great start! Proud to be a part of it. There's definitely a lot about the PS4 on the software level I want to see improved, but there's plenty of time for that. Most important thing right now is building an install base so developers can feel more comfortable about cranking out games and investing more resources into more PS4 projects.

Seriously excited for where things are heading for this platform.

Got to say here in Oz, it looks pretty bleak for MS. There are xbox ones everywhere. Everyone has lots of stock and they just aint sellin. Ps 4 sold out through preorders and the second shipment im lead to believe has also been sold on on preorders. Someone in EB told me they might not have stock until March 2014. I am sad to see what MS has done to the xbox this gen. Make no mistakes people will loose their jobs at MS over this, and this may well be the last MS console.

I went into Big W on Monday and they were taking $50 deposits for "late December PS4 shipment" for the record there were a few Xbox One on the shelves.

slapnuts

Totally agree and quite mature thoughts. Much better than those posts expecting MS/X1 to be doomed~

X1 is definitely not doomed, who ever says so is just hating or a fanboy. X1 will have a great generation regardless if they are 2nd place. They will have some "must have' games for sure..it's a great platform with a lot of good things going for it. I plan on getting an X1 some time down the road myself for its exclusive games. I just really hope they pick up the pace with exclusives which i have a feeling they will..especially the point you made about the pressure coming from Sony it will force MS to push much harder to keep up. I expect MS to pick up the pace..I really do, well they are going to have to if PS4 keeps the momentum it has already built up.

And the whole "Chinese people don't like Japanese products" really needs to be retired.
I don't want to get into the politics or reasons, but the opposite is true if anything is. Japanese racism in China is one of the strongest forms of racism I've seen anywhere in the industrialized world. The way I've personally seen it expressed from friends and family has no place even being shared in detail in this thread because its potential controversy is too off topic. But if you don't personally know have experience with it, give me the benefit of the doubt as a long time GAF member who I hope you would believe would not make such a claim so lightly, and I would very respectfully ask that you don't dismiss it as a relevant factor in discussing the potential for the PS4 and XBO to grow into new console markets such as China.

Of course it is.

Wii U with 1/5 of Wii sales open space for the others.

You are wrongly making the assumption that the Wii audience are still interested in games consoles. Most of them have moved onto tablets and smartphones. The market up for grabs is 140m out of 160m PS3/360 and around 20-30m Wii owners, plus maybe 10% for growth in developing countries.

It is my belief that we are heading for a repeat of the PS2 era, where one console will dominate in terms of market share.

With all of the missteps made by Nintendo and Microsoft, the opportunity is there for the taking, and the current management team at SCE don't fuck about.

Great numbers, though I expected more of EU. Maybe they didn't ship more.

Now with a successful start, they can work extra hard on some good games. Mine is only a fancy Bluray player at the moment.

It's interesting as the concept of 'Black Friday' still doesn't really exist in Europe (only this year it is starting to be an event in the UK), so it is clever if Sony have prioritized NA for this period, meaning EU supply has been more limited.

Now of course, the EU will get more stock in the run-up to Christmas, which is by far and away when most sales take place. So they have basically three weeks to get more supply to sate Christmas demand for EU regions.

slapnuts

I'm not sure this is the case with Microsoft. To me, it really seems like Microsoft is either “King” from the get go or not; they're not very good at catching up.

Just take Windows Phone or the Zune player as an example. Windows Phone didn't take off from the start and now they're lagging behind and are not even considered a real part of the smartphone eco system. I would have thought that they'd be going all out with Windows Phone, adding things left and right and handing out money to important developers to get them to make an app for their phone, but this didn't happen at all. Windows Phone is still lagging behind after many years.

Yeah you got a point. I guess its just to early to tell right now. The smoke still has not settled yet..if you get what i am saying. Time will tell though...

By the way...it would be a wise thing for MS to release a Kinect-Less X1 for $399.99 to match PS4 price point. I think this may happen Christmas 2014...what do you guys think?

elfinke

I went into Big W on Monday and they were taking $50 deposits for "late December PS4 shipment" for the record there were a few Xbox One on the shelves.

Yeah late Dec is the next shipment everywhere I've seen - DSE, EB, JB, BigW, HN etc. I'm guessing even that shipment is going to be mighty tight pre-order or no.

Xbone, on the other hand - and I've mentioned this in a few other threads - I can walk into either my HN or EB and buy a leftover Day One edition off the shelf no worries (I live in a regional area).

These are cracking numbers, well done to everyone involved at SCE and their downstream retail partners.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
iPhones sell like 5 million in one hour. This is a sign that console makers need to step up their game.

I don't want to get into the politics or reasons, but the opposite is true if anything is. Japanese racism in China is one of the strongest forms of racism I've seen anywhere in the industrialized world. The way I've personally seen it expressed from friends and family has no place even being shared in detail in this thread because its potential controversy is too off topic. But if you don't personally know have experience with it, give me the benefit of the doubt as a long time GAF member who I hope you would believe would not make such a claim so lightly, and I would very respectfully ask that you don't dismiss it as a relevant factor in discussing the potential for the PS4 and XBO to grow into new console markets such as China.

This is true. Years ago I lived with a Chinese student at uni. We were close, and he says this exists, for what it's worth. Have no idea how that would affect sales, mind.

It's interesting as the concept of 'Black Friday' still doesn't really exist in Europe (only this year it is starting to be an event in the UK), so it is clever if Sony have prioritized NA for this period, meaning EU supply has been more limited.

Now of course, the EU will get more stock in the run-up to Christmas, which is by far and away when most sales take place. So they have basically three weeks to get more supply to sate Christmas demand for EU regions.

That makes sense and would be very smart. People do their Christmas shopping in December in EU.

zhao3gold

Banned
X1 is definitely not doomed, who ever says so is just hating or a fanboy. X1 will have a great generation regardless if they are 2nd place. They will have some "must have' games for sure..it's a great platform with a lot of good things going for it. I plan on getting an X1 some time down the road myself for its exclusive games. I just really hope they pick up the pace with exclusives which i have a feeling they will..especially the point you made about the pressure coming from Sony it will force MS to push much harder to keep up. I expect MS to pick up the pace..I really do, well they are going to have to if PS4 keeps the momentum it has already built up.

To me, X1's 2014 lineup is quite solid. I can't wait for Titanfall, QB and the most important, Halo 5.

allan-bh

You are wrongly making the assumption that the Wii audience are still interested in games consoles. Most of them have moved onto tablets and smartphones. The market up for grabs is 140m out of 160m PS3/360 and around 20-30m Wii owners, plus maybe 10% for growth in developing countries.

It is my belief that we are heading for a repeat of the PS2 era, where one console will dominate in terms of market share.

With all of the missteps made by Nintendo and Microsoft, the opportunity is there for the taking, and the current management team at SCE don't fuck about.

I don't know how much of Wii audience still wants a new console, maybe you are right on that, but I don't see how PS4 can crush Xbox One like you believe.

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont think that we will se PS2-like domination of PS4 in this generation. Xbone is a good device whose problems can be fixed if MS is willing to eat some money.

RaikuHebi

Banned
atv.gif

Jezbollah

I dont think that we will se PS2-like domination of PS4 in this generation. Xbone is a good device whose problems can be fixed if MS is willing to eat some money.

With some shareholders wanting MS to sell off the Xbox brand and division because of it's losses before the Xbox One launch, I don't see them willing to eat further money.

DieH@rd

Banned
iPhones sell like 5 million in one hour. This is a sign that console makers need to step up their game.

Congratulations. This is the stupidest thing that I've read today.

With some shareholders wanting MS to sell off the Xbox brand and division because of it's losses before the Xbox One launch, I don't see them willing to eat further money.

Gaming situation in MS not good, but it is far from catastrophic. Although I agree, they fumbled their Xbox brand hard with the May/E3 unveils. So much shit was thrown on it, which directly resultet in consumers voting with their valets and switching to PS4.

Yea, while I think PS4 will do extremely well. People expecting PS2 levels of domination are...kinda crazy.

2.1M is probably the most Sony can ship it to retailer. If Pachter is right, there should be 3M PS4 from production line at this point and Sony already shipped 2/3 of that. Pretty damn impressive.

MS doesn't want to eat anymore money, they wanna sell Xbox division. Xbone must be profitable or it will find a new home.

Top Bottom