• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
As a day one Vita buyer, no, it really doesn't.

As a day 1 Vita buyer, yes it really does. It's was the most comfortable handheld on the market to use. It had the best screen. It had the best hardware. It had the best and most control options on a handheld. It was easy to develop for. It was VERY reasonably priced. And unlike PS4 it actually had a killer launch lineup. It also pushed handheld gaming and was a bigger generational leap than PS4 is for consoles. It not even close. Vita deserved to set the world alight. I'm not sure I can say the same for PS4 at this point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
only SSB and MK8 left. If those 2 still fail to help WiiU then it's time for Nintendo to quit the race.
I don't expect these games to fail to help Wii U. Quite the opposite actually. $249 with one of these should be the entry price though.

RaikuHebi

Banned
As a day 1 Vita buyer, yes it really does. It's was the most comfortable handheld on the market to use. It had the best screen. It had the best hardware. It had the best and most control options on a handheld. It was easy to develop for. It was VERY reasonably priced. And unlike PS4 it actually had a killer launch lineup. It also pushed handheld gaming and was a bigger generational leap than PS4 is for consoles. It not even close. Vita deserved to set the world alight. I'm not sure I can say the same for PS4 at this point.

The Vita haters need the mainstream to buy it to justify their purchase it seems.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's a lot of units and there are plenty of people who still are due to get theirs or just can't find one yet. Well played by Sony.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Huh, Sony shipped an awfully large amount of the EU stock to the UK. Smart.
And they shipped abysmally small shipments to Sweden. Dumb.

It is cheaper now, this can change.

Not any time soon, and the PS4 has more avenues to cut costs than the Xbox. The memory solution in the Bone is unlikely to get any cheaper until late 2015, the 4Gbit GDDR5 chips Sony use are already going down in price now that a second supplier can produce them in large volumes. Even without Kinect (which is integral to the functionality of the system, IMO) the Bone is basically the same cost. The Xbox, with or without Kinect will never have a price advantage of the PS4.

Plus, with Microsoft's power brokers moving against Xbox internally there will be too much pressure for it to be profitable out of the gate which means at least break even on hardware (which is where they are now). Losing money up front like Sony just seems out of the question for Xbox right now.

Barring a late gen surge I don't see how MS beat 40-50m sales. The die is cast.

SmokyDave

We can expect Nintendo to cook system sellers and drop the price to a mass market level, which will give it a chance to reach 2nd place WW.
Definitely. 2nd place, right behind the Vita TV. That's what we want, so that's most assuredly what will happen.

slapnuts

Imagine what they could sell if they weren't so hard to find.

You better snatch one up when you see one.

On black friday midnight openings of our local stores.... they all had PS4's available for walk-in purchases. The lines were HUGE going down one of our main busy streets that have tons of stores for miles and miles down this particular busy street with all the stores sprinkled on both sides of the road. I was amazed how many people were at these stores waiting for PS4's as i drove by asking what they were in line for..most were in line for consoles...ps4 or x1.

At the gamestop where i got my PS4 on black friday midnight....the line was sooooo long i just couldn't believe it. This particular gamestop had A LOT OF PS4's available for walk-ins at their midnight opening. This just shows how many stores in N.America were getting a decent supply of PS4's for Black Friday. All gamestops were holding all PS4 shipments for Black Friday walk-in's regardless of backed up pre-orders. I was fortunate to get a PS4 on black friday. If i had to give an estimate on how many PS4's this particular gamestop had for black friday...i would say between 50-75 PS4's available and i got the 2nd to last PS4 available that night. They still had a lot of X1's available when i walked out of gamestop but there was still a long line of people waiting.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The question now is does the rest of the audience that bought ps3/360 want to transition again to a new console? Or have they moved onto something else (phones, tablets, PC, etc.)

Even the most casual of casuals aren't dumb enough to consider phones and tablets something to move on to. The box under the TV will always be in its own category, just like a gourmet meal versus a fast food snack.

Alienous

It is cheaper now, this can change.

Sony are in a good position to go cheaper if necessary. And if Xbox decide to drop Kinect to match the PS4's price-point, Sony could also drop the price, or bundle the PS Camera at no extra cost, or any of the plethora of options. Heck, their best bet is to compete with a Kinect-less XBONE at the same price-point, and simply use the fact that the PS4 is more powerful. "Play games in full HD", or something similarly scathing.

And Sony have the momentum on their side. It took the PS3 years of great games, and a few price slashes, to catch up.

Even the most casual of casuals aren't dumb enough to consider phones and tablets something to move on to. The box under the TV will always be in its own category, just like a gourmet meal versus a fast food snack.
I'm kinda playing devils advocate here, but how many people who only had the option to have gourmet food (I.e. the Xbox/ps2/ps3/360) and then when fast food became an option they tasted the fast food snack and said that was good enough for them?

zhao3gold

Banned
Huh? why do you want Sony fans to stop being ecstatic?

I just mean no flame wars between MS and Sony fans. Sony fans have right to be excited about PS4 superb sales figures. But please, no need to down play X1.

Both consoles just launched not more than 1 month.

I have seen some people here to make such bold statement that X1 cannot even hit 40million mark. That is too early to comment like that.

Not any time soon, and the PS4 has more avenues to cut costs than the Xbox. The memory solution in the Bone is unlikely to get any cheaper until late 2015, the 4Gbit GDDR5 chips Sony use are already going down in price now that a second supplier can produce them in large volumes. Even without Kinect (which is integral to the functionality of the system, IMO) the Bone is basically the same cost. The Xbox, with or without Kinect will never have a price advantage of the PS4.

Plus, with Microsoft's power brokers moving against Xbox internally there will be too much pressure for it to be profitable out of the gate which means at least break even on hardware (which is where they are now). Losing money up front like Sony just seems out of the question for Xbox right now.

Barring a late gen surge I don't see how MS beat 40-50m sales. The die is cast.

I agree. Even with killer games, at $499 or even $399 there just won't be significant sales traction. Last gen. They had the killer Halo/Gears combo along with a strong push vrom CoD because of the superior XBL experience and a cheaper price than PS3. Those things are gone now. Gears isn't being made, Halo is in decline and their only hope is Titanfall, which won't be exclusive past the 1 game. Meanwhile, Sony is carefully nurturing their in-house talent and will have a strong portfolio of proven IPs, like Uncharted, Infamous, The Last of Us and GT while investing into new ones (GG's RPG, SSM's open world stuff or the probable ND's Space game). It's looking pretty bleak for MS unless they can create a new IP smash hit to at least replace Gears, which is a monumental task in itself.

DDR3 prices will the rise... So how will it become less expensive?

8Gbit DDR3 seems out of the question since it is more than double the cost per chip (they are stacked dice from what I understand), but 8Gbit DDR4 (monolithic dice) makes sense, which is why I figure late 2015 for it to become price competitive. MS will just have to customise and limit the chips to match their current specification.

Yes, I'm considering this a real possibility.

Have you used an Xbox One before? I have and I really don't see how they can remove Kinect, it is integral to the system and experience.

How many gamer do you think there are in this world? The best selling console of all time sold 155M. That's only a small fraction of world population. 2.1M is the most Sony can ship to retails.

Sorry, was just making a jokey reference to a standout post in yesterday's UK sales thread that was something like "250k doesn't sound like a lot, must not be many gamers in the UK.".

Think it was a Sniperhunter post :p

So people still don't get competition and are still under the impression it means that everyone's a winner?
We can expect Nintendo to cook system sellers and drop the price to a mass market level, which will give it a chance to reach 2nd place WW.
url
And they shipped abysmally small shipments to Sweden. Dumb.
A relative of mine has one they might be looking to sell...

Well done Sony, Consoles only been out 2 weeks and sold over 2 million, If there was more made available the number would have been higher, Personally im switching from xbox too Playstation and a few friends have aswell so I think people who have done the same have made that number that high so soon.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ehhh MS will do alright, but they are totally in a defensive position right now. Instead of going after Sony's marketshare in countries where the PS3 clearly won, they are trying to fend off Sony in countries they dominated last gen. And Sony is hitting MS hard in that regard with shipping over 70% of their stock to NA and the UK. This also shows that Sony feels confident that MS won't have much traction in the rest of the world.

The thing is the battle has been centered in 2 key regions right now (NA/ UK) for both companies, so the numbers are pretty close. When Sony's supply chain matures next year and regular shipment extends to the whole world, you will see the PS4 quickly opening the gap with the XBO. Imo the numbers right now how good they might be for both companies are heavely skewed towards the NA/ UK regions and don't show the full picture.

Faustek

Leaving fanboyism aside, don't you think that it is actually better for the industry that PS4 'wins'? I mean, Microsoft has almost a complete monopoly on PC gaming and on top of that they are selling games on Xbox One. If you ask me, that really sucks. Why would I have to own Microsoft's unstable and highly overrated platform to run my favorite PC games? Thats why I think, PS4 should sell more, way more units than Xbox One. Otherwise its a monopoly again. Also, I'm exited to see how SteamOS evolves. I'm going to be one of the early adopters for sure. I'm a linux user myself and IMO, PC gaming deserves better than what Microsoft offers with Windows. At least Sony uses its own proprietary OS...

I do believe it's better for the industry if the PS4 "Wins" I also think it's way better for the industry if SteamOS "Wins". The only thing I can see Valve do wrong is to lock itself in a gaming environment only. Sure we have seen different software popup in the Steam store but what I'm after is an easier productivity platform so the "bigger" market makes the switch as well. But it's interesting to see what Microsoft means to do with the Unified "market" for their Win8(Tablets/phone/XBO) products. I'm also looking forward to when Playstation becomes a service instead of a box, Gakai to every Connected Device?(Please don't happen just yet but in 6-10 years please).

zhao3gold

Banned
I agree. Even with killer games, at $499 or even $399 there just won't be significant sales traction. Last gen. They had the killer Halo/Gears combo along with a strong push vrom CoD because of the superior XBL experience and a cheaper price than PS3. Those things are gone now. Gears isn't being made, Halo is in decline and their only hope is Titanfall, which won't be exclusive past the 1 game. Meanwhile, Sony is carefully nurturing their in-house talent and will have a strong portfolio of proven IPs, like Uncharted, Infamous, The Last of Us and GT while investing into new ones (GG's RPG, SSM's open world stuff or the probable ND's Space game). It's looking pretty bleak for MS unless they can create a new IP smash hit to at least replace Gears, which is a monumental task in itself.

If the stress from Sony can push MS make much better 1st party exclusive games, then, it is quite OK for us Xbox fans. We play games, not sales. To myself, if X1 can have fantastic exclusive games, then even it is just sold less than 10million, I am OK with that.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm kinda playing devils advocate here, but how many people who only had the option to have gourmet food (I.e. the Xbox/ps2/ps3/360) and then when fast food became an option they tasted the fast food snack and said that was good enough for them?

I don't know any person like that.

In fact if anything smartphones are the gateway drug.

My little cousin already plays Wii and his older brother's PS3. But he plays Minecraft Pocket (and some typical smartphone crap) on iPad. He's begging his Mum for a 360 just to play the full version of Minecraft.

In fact this makes me realise the big boys could be using smartphones far more effectively to market the console blockbusters.

8Gbit DDR3 seems out of the question since it is more than double the cost per chip (they are stacked dice from what I understand), but 8Gbit DDR4 (monolithic dice) makes sense, which is why I figure late 2015 for it to become price competitive. MS will just have to customise and limit the chips to match their current specification.

Have you used an Xbox One before? I have and I really don't see how they can remove Kinect, it is integral to the system and experience.

Your assuming that the motherboard is already ddr4 compatible? That the custom chip can be optimized for ddr4, and their is no downside to ddr4 that might cause issues in achieving perfect compatibility?

Ishan

If the stress from Sony can push MS make much better 1st party exclusive games, then, it is quite OK for us Xbox fans. We play games, not sales. To myself, if X1 can have fantastic exclusive games, then even it is just sold less than 10million, I am OK with that.

am going to agree with that. sony has the stronger 1st party yes but microsoft has as usual made a push for exclusives year 1. (what remains to be seen is if they drop off the commitment and focus one just 2 3 franchies like they did with 360 two years down the line ... and worse totally drop off support exclusive wise 4 5 years down the line.)

lefantome

Well there's 8 years of pent up demand for new console hardware. Launch was going to be a success because the core gaming audience was going to make the transition into new hardware. That was inevitable.

The question now is does the rest of the audience that bought ps3/360 want to transition again to a new console? Or have they moved onto something else (phones, tablets, PC, etc.)

These people are still buying lots of Xbox 360s and Ps3s so yes they will.

2.1 is a lot and could have been far better if they met the demand in europe.

System is functional without Kinect, so, they can.

Functional is a nice way of putting it. It works like shit without Kinect. Xbox is married to Kinect, removing it is not on the table, however much you want it to be.

As I said earlier, the die is cast and the ceiling for Xbox One is between 40-50m globally.

Your assuming that the motherboard is already ddr4 compatible? That the custom chip can be optimized for ddr4, and their is no downside to ddr4 that might cause issues in achieving perfect compatibility?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it will be easy or cheap. I just think it is possible. Using DDR3 with no hope of cheaper RAM seems stupid, even for Microsoft's boneheaded engineering team.

Top Bottom