• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela design reportedly won't be changed in the final verison of Silent Hill 2 despite negative internet reactions

iu

What the fuck has chancing her appearance to do with her history. If you won't or can't acknowledge why they changed her looks, you are either ignorant or dim or a combination of both.
Have they changed that much? Her outfit and body type are identical, and the big change is in her face. And that looks like it's based on the actress for her, just with the frumpy Angela haircut. The ONLY evidence of anything close to DEI so far is Maria's outfit, and that's a stretch as it's based on one of the original character sketches from her. But Angela? She looks like a frumpy teen in this, as fits her character.

Unpopular opinion, but Angela was the odd design out in the original in that she looked to be in her 40s, but was meant to be 19, which is why we still have people who played the original surprised she was so young. You can talk all you want about how she was meant to look older, but a big part of her character was lost as a result. Outside of again, that one particularly bad shot from the graveyard sequence, the new one looks like a good mix between the original design, and the actress.

Do you want to cry woke? Go off on Concord. That game looks like every character was designed by a focus group of edgy adults who want to be teens. SH2 doesn't look perfect, but the ragebait on this is insane.

Last edited:

Majukun

Unpopular opinion, but Angela was the odd design out in the original in that she looked to be in her 40s, but was meant to be 19, which is why we still have people who played the original surprised she was so young. You can talk all you want about how she was meant to look older, but a big part of her character was lost as a result. Outside of again, that one particularly bad shot from the graveyard sequence, the new one looks like a good mix between the original design, and the actress.
i think it was the point of the original design
she was supposed to be a once attractive young girl that got emaciated and made look older/not healthy by the trauma and what it brought. she is clearly not fine when you meet her, both from her behavior AND her appearance

i think it was the point of the original design
she was supposed to be a once attractive young girl that got emaciated and made look older/not healthy by the trauma and what it brought. she is clearly not fine when you meet her, both from her behavior AND her appearance
Right, I understand the concept and the intention, as I said, but in execution, I don't think it worked especially well. I love SH2. Hell I am replaying it now, but ever since 2001 there have been things I just don't think worked as intended. The acting of everyone but Mary/Maria being mediocre to awful was the main thing. I know, sacrilege. It just felt like it was trying for David Lynch delivery and not quite getting it right. SH3 showed it could be done better, IMO. Don't have a bad thing to say about Mary/Maria's performance though. That was incredible.

I hope this ends up turning out well, and am cautiously optimistic after the gameplay revleal.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm fine with people liking the new model. But what I'm mostly more surprised is with the weakass arguments here over her new design.
Imagine you pick a picture of a 6 score looking woman(fine or ok) and then edit to make her ugly. People would logically say "yeah you make her ugly". The weak argumentists on the other hand would throw up that she was never a hottie to begin with, so why complain?
Angela was never a hot woman, but it doesn't mean you can't made her ugly.

Just wait till you see the wonderful dialogues this "consultancy" firm put into the game. I bet they found a way to sneak drop a couple remarks to the patriarchy in there.

I'm almost sure this game will have, as a form of small hints or subtle dialogues changes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Again, I'm really confused by this controversy so to speak. I think her old model looks pretty ugly and the new one looks a lot more feminine and prettier.

Maybe her face was a little bit too thicc but that's not much of a big deal.

I mean, I'm as anti-woke as they come but lately I think some of the things the anti-woke crowd are complaining about is pretty petty to say the least.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yesterday brought a terrifying new Silent Hill 2 remake trailer during the PlayStation State of Play showcase, unveiling an October 8 release date. Outside of the release date, combat, and protagonist James Sunderland, the trailer also gave us a new look at returning characters Angela and Maria.

You can see Maria's redesigned look just below, the first character that James meets during the new trailer:

MiMwxscRfhFZC8tZv4Qewf-970-80.jpg.webp

According to Klein Harvey, a horror content creator with contacts on Bloober Team, Konami, he reports that a Bloober Team representative confirmed this is the final version of Angela

they-wont-be-changing-angelas-design-the-one-from-the-v0-S14dawoyhlfbhqGjFFrTGAyEvgk1uwIgG-yzBxxFbA4.png

As for why the character of Angela was redesigned from the original game, Mangalawyer speculates it’s due to the influence of game consultancy Hit Detection. He posted on X,

Information via Gamesradar and Dark Place

austin-powers-its-a-man-man.gif

Again, I'm really confused by this controversy so to speak. I think her old model looks pretty ugly and the new one looks a lot more feminine and prettier.

I mean, I'm as anti-woke as they come but lately I think some of the things the anti-woke crowd are complaining about is pretty petty to say the least.

It's been going on for around a year or so, I think. Mainly, it's the YouTube personalities who built themselves up hating on obviously woke BS, having to find something to complain about in everything they can to create more content. I got tired of it around the Starfield pronoun rant and completely fed up with it around the Alan Wake 2 nontroversy over Saga being parroted as fact by people who clearly never even played the game. The worst part is, yes, I think there has been a move away from more traditionally attractive characters, but every single mid-design isn't due to some conspiracy. And even if it was, five seconds of research shows that Angela is NOT that. I can deal with someone saying they don't like the new design. Some can prefer the old one, sure. But some of these guys are entering Pepe Silva territory.

Darkmakaimura

It's been going on for around a year or so, I think. Mainly, it's the YouTube personalities who built themselves up hating on obviously woke BS, having to find something to complain about in everything they can to create more content. I got tired of it around the Starfield pronoun rant and completely fed up with it around the Alan Wake 2 nontroversy over Saga being parroted as fact by people who clearly never even played the game. The worst part is, yes, I think there has been a move away from more traditionally attractive characters, but every single mid-design isn't due to some conspiracy. And even if it was, five seconds of research shows that Angela is NOT that. I can deal with someone saying they don't like the new design. Some can prefer the old one, sure. But some of these guys are entering Pepe Silva territory.
Yeah it's like that Warhammer 40,000 female Custodes controversy. I don't like it either and I think it's just Games Workshop pandering but the amount of Warhammer 40,000 fans saying they're going to boycott GW and getting seriously triggered over it was just cringy as all hell.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I'm not really too fuzzy about Angela although I do find the defence team are really funny with comments like "she looks her age now (19) I thought she was 40 in the original" 🤣
The biggest problem I have is with Maria's outfit, not that it will prevent me playing the game.
But it does throw out the dots Team Silent put together for the players to figure out regarding Maria, James & Mary because the game doesn't spell it out for you.
For anyone looking in, it's just an outfit.
But everything in Silent Hill has meaning, even the little details.

Last edited:

FewRope

People cant comprehend that maybe the scan they did for the actress is total dogshit and make a conspiracy out of it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That subject make me very upset, and what makes me the most upset is the Design of MARIA.

GO3OL3SX0AA682F.jpg

To explain why I am upset I'll need to spoil the canon ending of the game.
Maria is obviously, and it is known from the beginning, the "sexy double" of Mary, James's dead wife. She is the same woman, we can see it from the beginning.
So the question is "WHY THE FUCK does she look exactly similar than James's wife but a lot sexier".
And the answer to this question is the point of the fucking game.
She looks like Mary, but sexier, because all the monsters of Silent Hill, included Maria are a representation of James's fractured mind. In the case of Maria, the most important character in the game, she is sexy because Mary is actually really dead, and she died of a long lasting disease, which caused her physical state to deteriorate greatly, to the point of becoming repulsive. Maria is sexy BECAUSE she is what James's wanted Mary to be, this is the image of her he has in his fractured mind, as her disease lasted long, he ended up by being disgusted by her and even feeling upset to her being sick... because the burden is so hard to carry (note : my both parents died of cancer, mom from a brain cancer, and I can relate, you get angry at them for not getting better, horrible thing to feel).
He even ended up "killing" Mary, his wife, to shorten her agony (or his agony?), pyramid head being a representation of his guilt.

So her original design IS not only important, but this is the key of the scenario of the game... Of its magnificence. So making the "wild, sexy, temptress" Maria a random girl dressed randomly... not sexy at all... Is an insult to the original material, and an absolute proof that either Bloober didn't play the original game, or worst : they did but didn't understand (which means they must be pretty dumb). And the look on her face on the screenshot I posted... Like the "oh no I am innocent girl, I'm afraid, where are we, what am I doing here?" look on her face... This is ridiculous.

silent-hill-2-maria-silent-hill-11065314-800-10251.jpg

This is Maria, does she look like a scared girl ?

james_maria.0.jpg

The look in her eyes... The temptress, the wild Maria.

Compared to the one in the remake...

Damn I'm so disappointed.
This is really where the mental illness rears its ugly head. Pun intended.

Most hypocritical ideology of cognitive regression to walk the modern planet.

Females must be empowered to be an OnlyFans whore but altered (told) what to wear and not be sexualized by your spending male gaze, at the exact same time.

Retards.

Vote with your wallets, folks.

TGO

While this doesn't change my opinion it does seem Bloober is using Maria's Concept art as a reference
poki6Ar.png

Although I imagine this changed for the reasons mentioned already as lot of stuff wasn't complete until Sato's final version.
So I still can entirely blame Bloober other then not knowing why it changed in the first place.

And can just say how good this scene still looks even now.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

People cant comprehend that maybe the scan they did for the actress is total dogshit and make a conspiracy out of it

Seems like one of those cases where the character models and animations simply aren't top tier. At least not from what has been presented.

I'd advise people to avoid making a bunch of predictions about how the characters have been changed etc. based on a few random screenshots. Especially when you are not comparing the same scenes etc.

That subject make me very upset, and what makes me the most upset is the Design of MARIA.

GO3OL3SX0AA682F.jpg

To explain why I am upset I'll need to spoil the canon ending of the game.
Maria is obviously, and it is known from the beginning, the "sexy double" of Mary, James's dead wife. She is the same woman, we can see it from the beginning.
So the question is "WHY THE FUCK does she look exactly similar than James's wife but a lot sexier".
And the answer to this question is the point of the fucking game.
She looks like Mary, but sexier, because all the monsters of Silent Hill, included Maria are a representation of James's fractured mind. In the case of Maria, the most important character in the game, she is sexy because Mary is actually really dead, and she died of a long lasting disease, which caused her physical state to deteriorate greatly, to the point of becoming repulsive. Maria is sexy BECAUSE she is what James's wanted Mary to be, this is the image of her he has in his fractured mind, as her disease lasted long, he ended up by being disgusted by her and even feeling upset to her being sick... because the burden is so hard to carry (note : my both parents died of cancer, mom from a brain cancer, and I can relate, you get angry at them for not getting better, horrible thing to feel).
He even ended up "killing" Mary, his wife, to shorten her agony (or his agony?), pyramid head being a representation of his guilt.

So her original design IS not only important, but this is the key of the scenario of the game... Of its magnificence. So making the "wild, sexy, temptress" Maria a random girl dressed randomly... not sexy at all... Is an insult to the original material, and an absolute proof that either Bloober didn't play the original game, or worst : they did but didn't understand (which means they must be pretty dumb). And the look on her face on the screenshot I posted... Like the "oh no I am innocent girl, I'm afraid, where are we, what am I doing here?" look on her face... This is ridiculous.

silent-hill-2-maria-silent-hill-11065314-800-10251.jpg

This is Maria, does she look like a scared girl ?

james_maria.0.jpg

The look in her eyes... The temptress, the wild Maria.

Compared to the one in the remake...

Damn I'm so disappointed.
Yeah, they HAVE to fix these character models…

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Weird, I either didn't think about the fact that I own Layers of Fear and that it's made by Boober but the character models in those games look good.

They're just weird game without explanation.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The thing is, that character design for the original Silent Hill trilogy was very unique. Pretty much all the characters had sharp features underlined by strong shadows, and most had rings under their eyes so deep. Everyone looked much older, even young women didn’t look much younger than Dahlia. And none of the women looked that attractive, because they all had that uncanny look and you’d think each and every one of them could put a knife between the MC’s shoulders as soon as they turned around. Attractive in a way, but always with more than a hint of danger in their looks.

These new designs aren’t like that.
You nailed it. Well said.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Weird, I either didn't think about the fact that I own Layers of Fear and that it's made by Boober but the character models in those games look good.

They're just weird game without explanation.
The answer is earlier in the thread

They hired a DEI consultant firm (Grifter organisation) for this game to tell them 'what's correct' in modern terms, for 'modern audiences'

In an already told game/story.

I doubt Layers of fear had a DEI firm on board during development.

Darkmakaimura

The answer is earlier in the thread

They hired a DEI consultant firm (Grifter organisation) for this game to tell them 'what's correct' in modern terms, for 'modern audiences'

In an already told game/story.

I doubt Layers of fear had a DEI firm on board during development.
Yeah I had to go through the thread slowly and I saw about HIT DETECTION which is apparently another company like Sweet Baby Incorporated.

Aaaaaaaassssssss.

I wonder what Bloober’s original Silent Hill title will be like when they eventually make one. I would make a direct sequel with adult laura coming back

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yeah I had to go through the thread slowly and I saw about HIT DETECTION which is apparently another company like Sweet Baby Incorporated.

Aaaaaaaassssssss.
Ah don't worry about it. Sit back, strap in, enjoy the ride whilst laughing.

Thing is, we still have the original.

These vultures couldn't make a competent story to save their lives and you KNOW there are 'problematic' instances in this game, and depending how far they have their tendrils buried into development, it could make for some highly comedic high jinks..

Who knows though. They might have just been in the looks department and left the story is intact :unsure:

I do have a feeling they've had over reach on the story though. Soon as that happens --> :messenger_poop:

I won't be buying till reviewed properly. Never thought I'd say that about a proper rebooted Silent Hill game

But here we are. Modern day eh. Good innit.

squarealex

People think Angela looked good in the original version of silent hill?

silent_hill_2_angela.jpg

Her whole story is about her appearance.

Like I said, people claim they played the game or knew everything in 2001, which is not the case, majority people know the game bc they saw people on video saying "is a masterpiece"...

I hate Internet sometimes.

I don't have "high" expectation, but holy cow... come on guys, they not race swap (for now, we have not see Eddie until now) or pink washing...
For now, all video I saw is... "ok", not perfect or full of fidelity, but just "ok".

For the moment it is ironically more faithful than FF7 Remake / Rebirth or even RE3:Remake

Last edited:

TGO

Okay I've said I've been okay with Angela design.
But as everyone is doing it I'll throw out what I imagined Angela to be.
Everyone always has something or someone they think of when it comes to characters and this is mine, given what know of the characters background Angela Orosco is also Latino
So I keep that in mind too
UQl8EaI.jpeg

Esppiral

The thing that bothers me the most is her super tiny shoulders and her eyebrows, she had super thin eyebrows in the original and now she looks like Shin Chan.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's not only her design, every single one of the designs in SH was so polished and carefully made so it made you feel something, they were slightly stylish and beautiful so they felt like some "uneasy beauty", but these characters in the remake are just... well, just a bunch of whatevers taken from metahuman or so... This is when full realism is bad for a game

Last edited:
Top Bottom