• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela design reportedly won't be changed in the final verison of Silent Hill 2 despite negative internet reactions

Rayderism

When the game comes out and I'm playing it, I will not call her Angela, I will call her "chipmonk cheeks" instead.

Honestly though, I'm not overly fussed about it.

Umbral

I wouldn’t call this realistic. it’s a 17 year old’s face with a woman’s body.

The Silent Hill girl tho the graphics are PS3 level. But yes she’s not some model either. So double whammy.

I wonder how all these freaks would have reacted to the Alien movies releasing today. They need victoria secret models doing all these utilitarian things.
Sigourney-Weaver-Young-1.jpg
Are you implying Sigourney Weaver in Alien is unattractive? I have never heard such absurdity.

Okay I've said I've been okay with Angela design.
But as everyone is doing it I'll throw out what I imagined Angela to be.
Everyone always has something or someone they think of when it comes to characters and this is mine, given what know of the characters background Angela Orosco is also Latino
So I keep that in mind too
UQl8EaI.jpeg

Um, honestly, the makeup absolutely kills her look. Angela is attempting to look as unattractive as possible and is trying not to draw attention to herself. It's her entire point: She's wearing cruddy red jeans and a turtleneck, partially exposed skin, no makeup, nothing. Cool face for anything else, but not Angela.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Um, honestly, the makeup absolutely kills her look. Angela is attempting to look as unattractive as possible and is trying not to draw attention to herself. It's her entire point: She's wearing cruddy red jeans and a turtleneck, partially exposed skin, no makeup, nothing. Cool face for anything else, but not Angela.
You know how hard it is to remove makeup!
eUHvAUd.jpeg

Nah seriously it just kinda me filling in the gaps of what they would kinda look like from what I imagined
That's best I can/willing to do
After all just messing around 👍

Last edited:

Fake

John agree that the Bloober Team don't know what was the real purpose of the game outfit/face in the original game. Is to be provocative in the way of punish James.

Short story: He don't like the way they cover Marry body.

Last edited:
John agree that the Bloober Team don't know what was the real purpose of the game outfit/face in the original game. Is to be provocative in the way of punish James.

Which is a weird decision because they did include the sexy nuns which also serve a backstory purpose.

Last edited:

Fake

Which is a weird decision because they did include the sexy nuns which also serve a backstory purpose.

As John mention, Marry is a persona to punish James for his past behavior, so thats why she have the appearance of Maria, but using sexy clothes. In the same way the nurses are sexy.

If they gonna make Marry less sexy appealing would totally go against even the first premisse of the entire game. Silent Hill 2 want you to like Marry and forget Maria and is brillant.
Silent Hill is literary punishing everyone there and they don't know a thing about the Silent Hill 2. I will be surprise if they even played the Sillent Hill 2.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

This is good, having someone like John Agree show's it not just people overreacting

Edit, I'm actually surprised they said something about Angela.
But I guess they're right

Last edited:
This is good, having someone like John Agree show's it not just people overreacting

Edit, I'm actually surprised they said something about Angela.
But I guess they're right

The conversation was interesting, felt like John was the epitome of the SH2 fanboy. I quite liked Richard's take, these roles have been recast, so it is going to feel "different" as a result of it. SH2 clearly means a lot to John, I get it. It means a lot to me too. It was one of my first Xbox games, it was mind blowing when it came out, and much of what it dd, few games have been able to touch since. But that was 20 years ago, I was working my way through college, and I was very much a different person back then. No remake will feel the same to me now as it did then. It's impossible.

Fake

The conversation was interesting, felt like John was the epitome of the SH2 fanboy. I quite liked Richard's take, these roles have been recast, so it is going to feel "different" as a result of it. SH2 clearly means a lot to John, I get it. It means a lot to me too. It was one of my first Xbox games, it was mind blowing when it came out, and much of what it dd, few games have been able to touch since. But that was 20 years ago, I was working my way through college, and I was very much a different person back then. No remake will feel the same to me now as it did then. It's impossible.

Similar will never be, but close as possible to the original game.

Jusy look at Resident Evil 4 Remake. No one was expecting a game 100% similar as the original RE4 and the remake still delivery.

RE4remake took a different route and still respect the source material.

Thats the point John was making. They cover Marry body without knowing why she need to be the way she is.

ShadowNate

I mean they (and you) mistake Maria for Mary and that's not something a hardcore SH2 fan would do (or someone who played the game for that matter).

Okay I've said I've been okay with Angela design.
But as everyone is doing it I'll throw out what I imagined Angela to be.
Everyone always has something or someone they think of when it comes to characters and this is mine, given what know of the characters background Angela Orosco is also Latino
So I keep that in mind too
UQl8EaI.jpeg
Your version looks great (like a real female rather than male).

According to this artist, they made Angela look like a man on purpose:

Last edited:
At best, they look like something from an early PS4 game.
Considering this game is using UE5, which has support for advanced rendering techniques and support for Meta Humans, these models are even more disappointing.
I think the PS4 games had similar models in the cutscenes, and the artificial lighting was also used to add highlights and shadows to the characters' faces, but the in-game character models in the PS4 games were definitely not as good.

If the SH2 character models look as good during gameplay as the PS4 character models look during cutscenes, I will still be impressed.

mansoor1980

Yeah I think all the redesigns look good. The original models were fugly to say the least. Some of the original models look creepier than the creatures of Silent Hill.

But I guess I'm the odd one out here.

It's obvious that a PS2 game would look worse than anything done today.
But the characters for this remake don't look anything special. At best, they look like something from an early PS4 game.
Considering this game is using UE5, which has support for advanced rendering techniques and support for Meta Humans, these models are even more disappointing.
i am more concerned about the framerate of this remake , i doubt it will be a locked 30

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Jusy look at Resident Evil 4 Remake. No one was expecting a game 100% similar as the original RE4 and the remake still delivery.

RE4remake took a different route and still respect the source material.
Old maid vs OG dwarf.
maxresdefault.jpg

Walking dickhead vs OG elder.
maxresdefault.jpg

OG lion vs donkey.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cunt vs OG femme fatale.
maxresdefault.jpg

I still wince anytime I hear new Ada or Wesker in the game. So awful... only mods make it tolerable.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Old maid vs OG dwarf.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

OG lion vs donkey.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cunt vs OG femme fatale.
maxresdefault.jpg

I still wince anytime I hear new Ada or Wesker in the game. So awful... only mods make it tolerable.
These changes are as drastic as the Demon's Souls ones. I wonder why the cognitive dissonance when it comes to Capcom?

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

That subject make me very upset, and what makes me the most upset is the Design of MARIA.

GO3OL3SX0AA682F.jpg

To explain why I am upset I'll need to spoil the canon ending of the game.
Maria is obviously, and it is known from the beginning, the "sexy double" of Mary, James's dead wife. She is the same woman, we can see it from the beginning.
So the question is "WHY THE FUCK does she look exactly similar than James's wife but a lot sexier".
And the answer to this question is the point of the fucking game.
She looks like Mary, but sexier, because all the monsters of Silent Hill, included Maria are a representation of James's fractured mind. In the case of Maria, the most important character in the game, she is sexy because Mary is actually really dead, and she died of a long lasting disease, which caused her physical state to deteriorate greatly, to the point of becoming repulsive. Maria is sexy BECAUSE she is what James's wanted Mary to be, this is the image of her he has in his fractured mind, as her disease lasted long, he ended up by being disgusted by her and even feeling upset to her being sick... because the burden is so hard to carry (note : my both parents died of cancer, mom from a brain cancer, and I can relate, you get angry at them for not getting better, horrible thing to feel).
He even ended up "killing" Mary, his wife, to shorten her agony (or his agony?), pyramid head being a representation of his guilt.

So her original design IS not only important, but this is the key of the scenario of the game... Of its magnificence. So making the "wild, sexy, temptress" Maria a random girl dressed randomly... not sexy at all... Is an insult to the original material, and an absolute proof that either Bloober didn't play the original game, or worst : they did but didn't understand (which means they must be pretty dumb). And the look on her face on the screenshot I posted... Like the "oh no I am innocent girl, I'm afraid, where are we, what am I doing here?" look on her face... This is ridiculous.

silent-hill-2-maria-silent-hill-11065314-800-10251.jpg

This is Maria, does she look like a scared girl ?

james_maria.0.jpg

The look in her eyes... The temptress, the wild Maria.

Compared to the one in the remake...

Damn I'm so disappointed.

lUcqD2f.jpeg

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I'm frankly amazed they had the guts to bring Maria's terrible redesign up. Regardless of context, many blue haired screamers will cry about a bunch of men wanting a more sexually alluring female character in a modern video game.

Arachnid

Old maid vs OG dwarf.
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

OG lion vs donkey.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cunt vs OG femme fatale.
maxresdefault.jpg

Now that you put them side by side, literally everyone was a downgrade from OG. Ashley is the only upgrade in the game.

I really like new Leon still, but OG beats him out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom