• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Rio's waters for Olympic Games contain "dangerously high levels of human feces"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I was born and raised in ipanema. Lived in rio my whole life and i think it's a shithole.
I know foreigners who love this city and i'll never understand why.

Rio is presented in a very, very romantic light in the US. A lot of it is probably people wanting the image in their mind to be true so badly that they kind of will it into being.

Zips

Naked Gun I love it.gif

wMJcO5Y.jpg

The birth of a new Olympic Sport.

Walpurgis

Banned
Rio is presented in a very, very romantic light in the US. A lot of it is probably people wanting the image in their mind to be true so badly that they kind of will it into being.
I watch a lot of American TV and movies, and I have always gotten the impression that most of Brazil is a sad dump. The only movie set there that I have seen is City of God so maybe my perception is skewed.

Social

been to Rio twice in the past 2 years, never had issues with the water though... I guess it's one of those thing you don't want to think about much...

international athletes at all water venues would have a 99 percent chance of infection if they ingested just three teaspoons of water — though whether a person will fall ill depends on immunity and other factors.

So...... not 99% then?

Yup, that's Rio. At least now they can't hide these things anymore. The world will see the truth about this country in the olympic games. :)

Twentieth

Yup, that's Rio. At least now they can't hide these things anymore. The world will see the truth about this country in the olympic games. :)

Most problems will be ignored when the Olympics come (no one cared during the World Cup, for instance). This one directly affects the athletes, though, so it's a bigger issue.

Meier

How is this part not bolded:

Yet AP tests found its waters to be among the most polluted for Olympic sites, with results ranging from 14 million adenoviruses per liter on the low end to 1.7 billion per liter at the high end.

By comparison, water quality experts who monitor beaches in Southern California become alarmed if they see viral counts reaching 1,000 per liter.

WHAT? That discrepancy is insane. Even if you discounted the high end which just makes it almost unfathomable.

Any log races?

Fantastic post. Truly.

Yeah, I saw the report last year where the investigators filmed the water at one of the venues and it was unbelievably filthy. Raw sewage floating on the surface and dead animals, discarded trash and furniture forming little islands here and there.

I couldn't believe that they were talking about getting all that cleaned up before the games started. How? Boil the ocean?

komplanen

If the competitors survived Beijing's horrible air, they can surely hold their breath a little when swimming in the sewage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom