• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expert to Rio Athletes: "Don't Put Your Head Under Water"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

What is the deal with Brazil? Did they just not give a fuck about their environment?

I mean, I don't get it. We're they just dumping rotten diapers into the water because fuck it?

I always had this notion that Brazil was nice until all this Olympic talk. Now all I can think of is "man, what a dump".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What is the deal with Brazil? Did they just not give a fuck about their environment?

I mean, I don't get it. We're they just dumping rotten diapers into the water because fuck it?

I always had this notion that Brazil was nice until all this Olympic talk. Now all I can think of is "man, what a dump".

The plumbing systems in Rio are beyond subpar and in desperate need of upgrading. Like, shit will flow down canals in the city, from people's homes, down into the ocean. The city itself looks beautiful, but they desperately need to spend some money on sanitation.

gabbo

There's resort Brazil, and then there's the rest of the country/and or the favelas, where the infrastructure isn't there and people don't care/have much of a choice and just throw shit out - sometimes literally.

Future

The world is providing no incentive to make Brazil change. With conditions this bad why are we having the games there at all? Why didn't people examine the setup, note the bad conditions, and then move the games elsewhere

Instead, we are still having he games in an area where athletes can be harmed. And instead of doing anything about it we just say don't dunk your head under water. There is a parallel here to how the world treats other obvious problems like climate change. Nobody does shit

tchocky

Are there Olympic sports where the athletes get into a natural body of water? All the swimming/diving sports are done in pools right? I'm not real up on what all events are scheduled, but I can't remember seeing a sport in previous games where people swam in a river or lake or anything.

The Olympics does have a 10k Open Water swimming event for men and women.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The world is providing no incentive to make Brazil change. With conditions this bad why are we having the games there at all? Why didn't people examine the setup, note the bad conditions, and then move the games elsewhere

Instead, we are still having he games in an area where athletes can be harmed. And instead of doing anything about it we just say don't dunk your head under water. There is a parallel here to how the world treats other obvious problems like climate change. Nobody does shit

Same reason the IOC held the last Winter Olympics in a summer vacation town in Russia.

doby

The Olympics does have a 10k Open Water swimming event for men and women.

This isn't taking place in Guanabara Bay though which is where all the sewage is, there wont be any actual swimming taking place there but people will inevitably be falling in. The advice is ridiculous though, how can you stop your head going underwater if you fall off a windsurfing board for example.

giphy.gif

The less dangerous competition.

Hyun Sai

The first results of the study published over a year ago showed viral levels at up to 1.7 million times what would be considered worrisome in the United States or Europe.

That's a typo, right ?

Kid Ying

I guess since there is no "new" news, people have to talk about the same old things again:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ntaminated-waters_us_55b9a9b5e4b095423d0ddee6

In Rio (and in most other places) people don't monitorize virus levels, but bacteria levels, where all the beaches passed.

It's actually a hot discussion right now. Some cientists say it's better to focus on virus levels and others say it doesn't matter much (there is not even an stardad for virus levels to this day), but the water is safe according to bacteria levels. Also, those are famous beaches. Lots of peoples go there, being brazilians or not, every time every year and have nothing.

Are there Olympic sports where the athletes get into a natural body of water? All the swimming/diving sports are done in pools right? I'm not real up on what all events are scheduled, but I can't remember seeing a sport in previous games where people swam in a river or lake or anything.
In rough order of exposure risk:
  • Open water swimming 10k
  • Triathlon
  • Sprint canoe
  • Sailing
  • Rowing
Obviously, the first two are at the greatest risk. I can't think of any time that I ingested any water when I rowed (getting wet, sure,) but apparently there were reports of competitors getting sick at a tune-up event at the rowing venue.

Kid Ying

There's a really eye opening docu on Rio from Real Sports on HBO w/ Bryant Gumbel. Didn't think the situation could get worst, but it does.

Here's one of the trailers http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with...video/ep-232-rio-trailer-2.html?autoplay=true
Now this is an actual problem, unlike the state of the beaches water. The tourists won't ever see this, though. Most of the tourism will stay at good, safer places, like copacabana, Ipanema... Tijuca at best.

This is in marechal hermes, a poor side of the city. Hospitals there are pure crap. And it gets much worse as you go to poorer places.

Yesterday, people were protesting against the olympics and other stuff and that's the thing. The olympics brought good stuff for the city, but for the richest parts of it. The poor parts got little to nothing in infrastructure. And it's actually a common thing here. Most of the stuff the government do is for the sake of the rich side.

You got robbed or something happened? At the rich side, the police appears in minutes, where in the poor side, it might takes hours (or never appear at all). The road is bad? At the rich side, in less than a week it's fixed. At the poor side, it takes years. Hospitals are free everywhere, but they get worse as you go in the city. I don't even need to talk about sanitation. It simply doesn't happen for the poor.

That's the problem with Rio de Janeiro. The water... The crime... It all starts there.

Harmen

I already had this moment prior to, and during the 2014 FIFA worldcup. This Olympics is exceeding that "what the hell, Brazil?!" feeling though. As others have appropriately said; what a shitshow.

Klocker

There are many poor neighborhoods nearby where raw sewage just spills into the water. Real sports documentary shows the level of poverty not addressed by Olympic games and shows the sewage running I to the waterways

I'll never hear The Girl From Ipanema quite the same way again. I used to work with someone from Rio, so I always knew there was a big class divide and tons of crime, but never heard anything about what an ecological and sanitation disaster it is.

Kid Ying

For good News, for the first time in a while, the Rodrigo de Freitas lake is good to go. It's where they are going to hold the rowing events.

It should be noted that the lake is much easier to clean than the bay (that's the one that is in an awful state) since it's much smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom