• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Red

My wife's Apple Watch no longer recognizes when she is standing. Seems to be a problem with the latest update. Anyone else having trouble?

Phreaker

My wife's Apple Watch no longer recognizes when she is standing. Seems to be a problem with the latest update. Anyone else having trouble?

Nope, I've been using 2.1 and haven't had that issue. It's more than just standing though, you have to move a bit. When it tells her it's time to stand if she walks around for 1 min it doesn't tell her she's done it?

Red

Nope, I've been using 2.1 and haven't had that issue. It's more than just standing though, you have to move a bit. When it tells her it's time to stand if she walks around for 1 min it doesn't tell her she's done it?
It does not recognize she has stood the entire day. Since 2.1 or whatever the latest update is it keeps giving her those "time to stand" reminders despite her already moving around. It still seems to be calculating calories correctly.

Asked this on Reddit, might as well ask here:

I restored my phone yesterday. Kind of a hassle, but whatever. What was interesting though was that before the restore under the Phone settings on my iPhone my Apple Watch was listed as a device under "calls on other devices" along with my iPad and MacBook. It was not listed under Text Message Forwarding under the Messages settings

After the restore, it's not there. Is this normal? My watch seems to function normally but I want to make sure I'm getting full functionality

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I got the Classic Buckel in Saddle Brown and its very nice. The leather is different and much nicer than what is in the Modern Buckel. Its a nice strap, but I don't think I want it as my daily driver since its hard to take off.

mrkgoo

Asked this on Reddit, might as well ask here:

I restored my phone yesterday. Kind of a hassle, but whatever. What was interesting though was that before the restore under the Phone settings on my iPhone my Apple Watch was listed as a device under "calls on other devices" along with my iPad and MacBook. It was not listed under Text Message Forwarding under the Messages settings

After the restore, it's not there. Is this normal? My watch seems to function normally but I want to make sure I'm getting full functionality

I just checked my phone. It doesn't list my Apple Watch, for what it's worth. If it ever did, maybe they don't classify it as the same thing and took it off in a later update? The watch is technically paired with your phone as opposed to "using it for calling".

I just checked my phone. It doesn't list my Apple Watch, for what it's worth. If it ever did, maybe they don't classify it as the same thing and took it off in a later update? The watch is technically paired with your phone as opposed to "using it for calling".

Right, that was the interesting thing

Oh well. I guess my new question is if I leave my phone at home and go to work with just my watch, and my watch is connected to my work wifi on its own, will I still receive all my texts (SMS and iMessage) and calls (cellular and FaceTime) over the Internet?

I really am starving for new watch faces. More stuff like Chronograph. I'm customizing but I'm not liking the results. Gonna check to see if someone has a blog site for well crafted watch faces.

aparisi2274

Anyone have Clockwork Synergy bands?

http://www.clockworksynergy.com/shop/product-category/tech-straps/straps-for-apple-watch/

I got an olive green canvas band yesterday from Best Buy and I'm impressed with the quality and price (29.99)

Might order some more.

Here's my current collection.

I ordered a couple of third party bands for my 42mm sport aluminum watch...

Apple-Watch-Band-JETech%C2%AE-42mm-Genuine-Leather-Strap-Wrist-Band.jpg

61usbDaOuNL._SX425_.jpg

DJ88

Ugh, so I'm at Best Buy, and was just about to buy this Fitbit Charge HR I've been looking at, but then I strolled over to the Apple section and saw the watches are $100 off. That puts the sport edition at just a hundred more than the Fitbit, and I get waaay more functionality.

I really like what Apple has done with the watch, but I was planning on waiting till the 2nd gen version of it. Recently though, I've really wanted a fitness tracker. I got $150 for x-mas, and if I'm gonna spend it on the Fitbit, I'm thinking I might as well spend the extra hundred and get the Apple Watch.

Do you guys think this is a mistake? How much would I be able to sell it for if the 2nd gen version is way better? Is the sport band and aluminum case decent and resistant to wear and tear?

Ugh, so I'm at Best Buy, and was just about to buy this Fitbit Charge HR I've been looking at, but then I strolled over to the Apple section and saw the watches are $100 off. That puts the sport edition at just a hundred more than the Fitbit, and I get waaay more functionality.

I really like what Apple has done with the watch, but I was planning on waiting till the 2nd gen version of it. Recently though, I've really wanted a fitness tracker. I got $150 for x-mas, and if I'm gonna spend it on the Fitbit, I'm thinking I might as well spend the extra hundred and get the Apple Watch.

Do you guys think this is a mistake? How much would I be able to sell it for if the 2nd gen version is way better? Is the sport band and aluminum case decent and resistant to wear and tear?

If the non-fitness functions of the Watch are worth the $100 more, go for it. Resale value should be decent, even with the second gen coming out. It's an apple product. At the very least, you could sell it for $100 and make back the extra you spent on it in the first place

DJ88

Yeah, the other functions were definitely worth it so I went ahead and bought it. Super happy with my purchase, does exactly what I need it to do fitness tracking wise, and all the other convenient things it adds to my life like the notifications are cool bonuses. I'll definitely enjoy it until the 2nd gen is announced where I'll see if it's worth an upgrade.

VAD

I'm loving the Click adapter and the leather band it came with. The only downfall is that the little stick that binds the band to the adapter comes off too easily when pulled.

aparisi2274

So both my 3rd party watch bands came today, and I have to say I am very happy with the leather band I received. It fits nice, and looks great on the watch. Really classes up the sport edition for when you may be going out to some sort of occasion that calls for a more sophisticated look...

The other band I received, the rugged rubber band:

61usbDaOuNL._SX425_.jpg

is going back. When you try to clasp it to your wrist, if you use a hole which would keep the band secure to your wrist, it pops open before you can even secure the remaining band through the loop... When you do get the pin to stay in the hole, the remaining band is very hard to feed through the hole. When I finally did get it through, it was touching the underside of the watch and the way it was rubbing against my skin, it was causing irritations and was pulling my hair...

Oh well, guess I will just go get an official Apple band in black.

Two Words

Has anybody here put serious work into using the Apple Watch as a fitness device. I'm thinking about getting a FitBit Charge HR, but I also want to consider the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch would be more than double the price, so I feel it has to be a very good fitness device for me to justify it, even though I know it can do more than fitness. So what has your experience been with it for fitness. What does it do for fitness that other devices like FitBit cannot do? How long does it take to charge the watch? I likely wouldn't charge it overnight since I'd want to wear it to monitor sleep. Would the hour I take to prepare and eat breakfast be enough time to charge it, for example? Is it really durable enough to take on an active lifestyle?

Phreaker

My launch watch died last week. RIP

The display got a black dot in the upper right that kept getting larger each day. Apple is fixing it under warranty, so that's cool. I did some searching and saw some people posted videos of the same issue, same location.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Weird! I've still been meaning to have them look at my Taptic Engine since it's very wel but just have never made the time to take it in.

My launch watch died last week. RIP

The display got a black dot in the upper right that kept getting larger each day. Apple is fixing it under warranty, so that's cool. I did some searching and saw some people posted videos of the same issue, same location.

Black dot of death.

Has anybody here put serious work into using the Apple Watch as a fitness device. I'm thinking about getting a FitBit Charge HR, but I also want to consider the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch would be more than double the price, so I feel it has to be a very good fitness device for me to justify it, even though I know it can do more than fitness. So what has your experience been with it for fitness. What does it do for fitness that other devices like FitBit cannot do? How long does it take to charge the watch? I likely wouldn't charge it overnight since I'd want to wear it to monitor sleep. Would the hour I take to prepare and eat breakfast be enough time to charge it, for example? Is it really durable enough to take on an active lifestyle?

So far, I really like the fitness features, and the tracked metrics (e.g., steps, calories burned, minutes of exercise) have compelled me to be a little more active than I normally am.

However, I haven't put any real work into assessing the accuracy of these measures (I just got the watch as a Christmas gift), so I can't vouch for how they compare to what is provided by the fitbit. It should be noted that I'm REALLY appreciating the additional features of the watch (more than I anticipated), so I totally think it's worth the extra money.

Granted, your mlieage may vary, especially if your foremost interest is the fitness aspect.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have no complaints about the fitness tracking so far, except that if you jog without your iPhone its not very accurate. It will miscalculate by nearly a mile. Sometimes a mile and a half.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I have no complaints about the fitness tracking so far, except that if you jog without your iPhone its not very accurate. It will miscalculate by nearly a mile. Sometimes a mile and a half.
Sweet feature!

Wife: "how far did you jog today?"
Me: looks at watch "about mile / mile and a half?"

Just got my Apple Watch over the weekend. Had some Best Buy gift cards and the $249 Sport sale was too good to pass up!

I ended up trying on both sizes, especially since I love the Gold/Navy color combo, but the 42mm was just too big on my wrist. I ended up going with the 38mm Black/Black style.

What I'm really curious about is how the other colored bands look with the black watch. Does anyone here have pictures of their black sport with another color band on it? I love the red and white bands but I'm not sure how they'd look on the black watch and don't want to spend $50 to find out!

MajorPain

Just got my Apple Watch over the weekend. Had some Best Buy gift cards and the $249 Sport sale was too good to pass up!

I ended up trying on both sizes, especially since I love the Gold/Navy color combo, but the 42mm was just too big on my wrist. I ended up going with the 38mm Black/Black style.

What I'm really curious about is how the other colored bands look with the black watch. Does anyone here have pictures of their black sport with another color band on it? I love the red and white bands but I'm not sure how they'd look on the black watch and don't want to spend $50 to find out!

Not sure how you feel about 3rd party bands but they are a fraction of the price and have pretty good reviews. I just ordered the 42mm leather loop with magnets. Also if you look in the gallery there some pictures of space grey sport with white band.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JP6G1Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

cjp

The red and white bands go really well with either the grey or black watches. There's some pictures in the "Show off your Apple Watch" thread over on MacRumors.

aparisi2274

Not sure how you feel about 3rd party bands but they are a fraction of the price and have pretty good reviews. I just ordered the 42mm leather loop with magnets. Also if you look in the gallery there some pictures of space grey sport with white band.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JP6G1Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Yeah, I purchased a really nice leather band from JETech on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WWGAJK6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Two Words

Any inside news on what an Apple Watch 2 would bring? I actually don't care if it still lacks its own GPS. I'm more curious if there's any info on them making larger watches. Maybe up to 50 mm, or at least 47 mm. I feel like a larger watch would help the battery problem, which seems to be the biggest setback.

Any inside news on what an Apple Watch 2 would bring? I actually don't care if it still lacks its own GPS. I'm more curious if there's any info on them making larger watches. Maybe up to 50 mm, or at least 47 mm. I feel like a larger watch would help the battery problem, which seems to be the biggest setback.

Honestly I don't even have beef with the battery, I can EASILY get two days of use out of this thing. I just need third party apps to not run like total hot garbage

Ninja Dom

Larger watch means that the whole accessory supply chain for the straps and bands would have to change. Apple have probably made great business in selling extra bands & straps and selling the lugs to 3rd party band/strap manufacturers. So I can't see the big size changing from 42mm.

mrkgoo

The wifi in my watch doesn't appthe at to work that well.

Like it never drops to wifi when Bluetooth becomes unavailable. However it DOES work if I forget network settings on my phone, and re enter my wifi password. That is until I reset the phone or watch then it stops recognising.

So my understanding is that it uses Internet (hence the cloud icon for connectivity) because ive heard of people still having connection on different wifi.

One other solution I've readies that you can impair and repair watch, but what does this process entail? Is this a simple 10 second job or does the watch have to restore from back up taking a long time and potentially losing data?

I guess it's not a big deal as I'm not sure what is gain from having Wifif connectivity to be honest. Sure notifications when I leave my phone out of range, but that is so rare. I just like to get to the bottom why something isn't working. Locals having my own DNS addresses in my wifi network cause issues for the connection to be read by the Apple Watch?

Two Words

Larger watch means that the whole accessory supply chain for the straps and bands would have to change. Apple have probably made great business in selling extra bands & straps and selling the lugs to 3rd party band/strap manufacturers. So I can't see the big size changing from 42mm.
The bands could still fit.

The wifi in my watch doesn't appthe at to work that well.

Like it never drops to wifi when Bluetooth becomes unavailable. However it DOES work if I forget network settings on my phone, and re enter my wifi password. That is until I reset the phone or watch then it stops recognising.

So my understanding is that it uses Internet (hence the cloud icon for connectivity) because ive heard of people still having connection on different wifi.

One other solution I've readies that you can impair and repair watch, but what does this process entail? Is this a simple 10 second job or does the watch have to restore from back up taking a long time and potentially losing data?

I guess it's not a big deal as I'm not sure what is gain from having Wifif connectivity to be honest. Sure notifications when I leave my phone out of range, but that is so rare. I just like to get to the bottom why something isn't working. Locals having my own DNS addresses in my wifi network cause issues for the connection to be read by the Apple Watch?

It doesn't work on 5ghz networks, maybe that's it.

btrboyev

I don't expect much other than a tad better hardware and maybe small battery improvements.

npa189

I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 42mm sport in gold yesterday and I love it. Best Buy's sale, $50 in Christmas cash, and the $30 I got for selling my G watch R to a friend made it very affordable. It is a great extension of my phone, and it going to be so nice at work for calendar/email notifications. Plus I won't be looking at my phone every 5 seconds anymore. I love smartwatches because they are essentially discrete remotes, and the apple watch just feels masterfully crafted.

cakefoo

Hmm. In Apple Music, I can't remove songs from my library via the watch. I can tap the white + icon to add it to my library, and the + becomes red. When I tap to remove and confirm, the icon changes to white for a second, but automatically goes back to red.

What's the rumors for Apple Watch 2?

Has any Watch 1 users felt like it has been a good health companion? I'd like to get something soon to help monitor my activity and I'm heavily invested into Apple ecosystem.

Top Bottom