• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Ninja Dom

Bought one. Feels fine and fits just as great as the official one. I'm going to send the official one back and pick up some more knock off colours. Only thing I obviously can't comment on is long term quality and whether it will peel or go all discoloured. Not really sure it matters though, considering the price.

XNSAmz7.jpg

Forgot to swap it to red modular for the pic so you'll have to use your imagination. Looks a little orange in the photo actually.

Bought exactly that. Red Sports replica for my Space Grey Sport. £4.25. And so far it also feels great!!

cjp

Bought exactly that. Red Sports replica for my Space Grey Sport. £4.25. And so far it also feels great!!

Yup, no complaints here. Sent the white Apple one back and I've ordered white, blue, green, and orange replicas. That and the red have cost me less than half the price of only one of Apple's official line up.

aparisi2274

Maybe I am missing something here, but if you unpair your watch from your phone, do you literally have to do a reset to the watch just to pair it again?

I had to unpair my watch, because I was not receiving any haptic taps for anything, nor was I getting any iMessages or apple watch messages from my fiends, and after I paired it, I found it very odd that the only way to get it paired again was to actually reset the watch the start over from a backup..

Is this accurate?

mrkgoo

Maybe I am missing something here, but if you unpair your watch from your phone, do you literally have to do a reset to the watch just to pair it again?

I had to unpair my watch, because I was not receiving any haptic taps for anything, nor was I getting any iMessages or apple watch messages from my fiends, and after I paired it, I found it very odd that the only way to get it paired again was to actually reset the watch the start over from a backup..

Is this accurate?

I've never done it but that is my impression from what I can tell on the apple support site. It's why in a little fearful of just resetting Bluetooth and such.

Anion

Is this accurate?
Yeah I've had an issue with my watch, so I had to reset the whole thing. I hope there is a better way on the next iOS but idk

SuperPac

Is this accurate?

Yes. If you unpair, when you pair it again you have to restore from the backup of the watch that's on your phone. It wipes all content when you unpair.

aparisi2274

Yeah I've had an issue with my watch, so I had to reset the whole thing. I hope there is a better way on the next iOS but idk

Yeah, seems weird that if you unpair it for whatever reason that when you go to pair it again, there is no setting on the watch that would bring up that animation that pairs it with your phone.

I mean when you unpair it, it does create a backup of whatever was on the watch (settings, glances, complications, ect), so that when you do pair it again, it puts everything back where it was, but still, its a bit annoying.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like it takes an hour and a half to describe what exactly the watch does. It really does do quite a bit.

Shearie

So I bought an Apple Watch when it came out last year and quickly returned it because of the way it handled Do Not Disturb but I'm thinking about buying one again if they fixed the problem I had. So I'm wondering, when you put your watch on Do Not Disturb, do notifications show up in the Notification Center like it does on the phone? Last year when I had it the watch would just never receive the notifications when Do Not Disturb was on and that really bothered me.

I know it probably seems like a silly thing to return the watch over but for me it's important because one of the main things I wanted from the watch was to reduce checking my phone for notifications and since I use DND mode a lot I would have to check my phone every time DND mode was used. Putting the watch on silent wasn't a solution either because I still had vibration on and sometimes I don't want to be distracted by anything.

So I bought an Apple Watch when it came out last year and quickly returned it because of the way it handled Do Not Disturb but I'm thinking about buying one again if they fixed the problem I had. So I'm wondering, when you put your watch on Do Not Disturb, do notifications show up in the Notification Center like it does on the phone? Last year when I had it the watch would just never receive the notifications when Do Not Disturb was on and that really bothered me.

I know it probably seems like a silly thing to return the watch over but for me it's important because one of the main things I wanted from the watch was to reduce checking my phone for notifications and since I use DND mode a lot I would have to check my phone every time DND mode was used. Putting the watch on silent wasn't a solution either because I still had vibration on and sometimes I don't want to be distracted by anything.

I'll test it for you tomorrow

Shearie

What about just putting your Watch in Silent mode? Notifications still come through. Or do you only want them to appear in the Notification Centre?

EDIT: Just read, you don't like the vibrations of the watch in Silent mode.

I still might buy the watch and just live with it but it really bothers me that it works this way.

SuperPac

I still might buy the watch and just live with it but it really bothers me that it works this way.

You could always turn it to really, really light haptics.

Or just figure with DND you'll have to check notifications you may have missed on your phone and not your watch.

Shearie

You could always turn it to really, really light haptics.

Or just figure with DND you'll have to check notifications you may have missed on your phone and not your watch.

I think the positives outweigh the way DND mode works so I think I'll just buy it again soon.

Ninja Dom

watch-hermes-single-tour-band.jpg

What watch face is this?

I really enjoy that leather strap. But my Watch is a Space Grey Sport so a replica wouldn't look good.

Has anybody seen any black leather straps but with GOLD buckles and connectors? I don't mind cheap versions. I've seen plenty of good looking ones on the internet (eBay) but the buckles are silver.

Is there an Apple community OT? I have a Mac Mini that is pretty beastly but it's a few years old and I'm thinking of selling it... But don't know how much I could get for it. Figuring I'd post in there.

It's a Mac Mini (Mid 2011)
2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 Ram
512 SSD
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB

If anybody has a guess in this thread too I'd appreciate it.

aparisi2274

So, am I the only asshole who keeps taking screenshots of his watch face because I keep bending my wrist and it seems I keep pushing the buttons on the side to snap a pic.... Seriously, I just deleted about 17 pics from my photos app all of my watch face and different times throughout the day.

So, am I the only asshole who keeps taking screenshots of his watch face because I keep bending my wrist and it seems I keep pushing the buttons on the side to snap a pic.... Seriously, I just deleted about 17 pics from my photos app all of my watch face and different times throughout the day.

I'm doing the same thing. Fucking annoying

Got mine and I'm a little ashamed to admit how much the calorie-counting, and shiny color-wheel filling was all I needed to incentivize me to work out consistently. I only wish it had direct compatibility with the fitbit app so I could compete with my friends who have fit bits. I would actually really love more social features with Apple's activity app.

THATS why I've been seeing pics of my watch face in my photo stream pop up. I was like, dafuq?

Blackhead

Redarse

I'm doing the same thing. Fucking annoying

THATS why I've been seeing pics of my watch face in my photo stream pop up. I was like, dafuq?

Is the watch on your wrist bone:

Almost all the apple advertising shows the watch higher up the arm:

I don't wear watches that way though
You're wearing it wrong ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hate to say you two are doing it wrong but you're doing it wrong. You don't wear a watch at the very end of your wrist. The default spot should be at a spot where there's no chance for a button press.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hate to say you two are doing it wrong but you're doing it wrong. You don't wear a watch at the very end of your wrist. The default spot should be at a spot where there's no chance for a button press.

I've worn every other watch at the end of my wrist, including the Pebble which has three buttons, and only had problems with the Apple watch ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, you could try flipping the watch, might even be better UX

aparisi2274

Yeah, thanks for the tip, but I have been wearing watches for the last 20yrs and I know where it goes on my wrist, so I am not doing anything wrong.

robotrock

Banned
I turned off my iPhone for a few hours today but my Watch was still getting messages. They were iMessages and the Watch was probably connected to Wifi, but I didn't have an iPhone or Macbook turned on or anything.

What's up with that?

Red

I turned off my iPhone for a few hours today but my Watch was still getting messages. They were iMessages and the Watch was probably connected to Wifi, but I didn't have an iPhone or Macbook turned on or anything.

What's up with that?
Your watch can work independently on networks your phone has previously connected to.

jts

...hate me...
Should be iMessages only though, which are delivered directly to each device. SMS are merely relaid from the phone, as are phonecalls.

Use Apple Watch without its paired iPhone

Although you need your iPhone nearby to do many things with Apple Watch, there are things you can do when you don’t have your iPhone with you or when it’s turned off:
- Play music from a synced playlist on Apple Watch
- Use the watch , alarms , timers , and the stopwatch
- Track your activity with the Activity app
- Track workouts using the Workout app
- Display photos from synced photo albums in the Photos app

Apple Watch uses Bluetooth® wireless technology to connect to its paired iPhone and uses the iPhone for many wireless functions. Apple Watch can’t configure Wi-Fi networks on its own, but it can connect to Wi-Fi networks you’ve set up or connected to using the paired iPhone.

If your Apple Watch is in range of a Wi-Fi network that iPhone has connected to before, you can still do the following (even if iPhone is turned off):

- Use Siri
- Send and receive Digital Touch messages
- Send and receive messages using iMessage
- Make and receive phone calls (if you have Wi-Fi calling enabled and you’re within range of a Wi-Fi network that your iPhone has connected to before).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just got an apple watch yesterday!

What's the best running app for use without my phone? I already uploaded my running playlist to my phone, so all set there! Excited to stop carrying my phone while running.

I heard Runkeeper is good, but I'm so used to using nikerunning.

aparisi2274

Just got an apple watch yesterday!

What's the best running app for use without my phone? I already uploaded my running playlist to my phone, so all set there! Excited to stop carrying my phone while running.

I heard Runkeeper is good, but I'm so used to using nikerunning.

I use RunKeeper, although I am sure there are plenty of others..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've always just used the built in app to jogw/o my phone.

SeanR1221

Looks great. What is it and how much did it cost?

Yeah check eBay. A company called Hoco do nice bands. Leather straps, leather loops and Milanese bands all at really affordable prices. I also bought a replica Sports Band for £4 off eBay and I've been using it every day for two weeks and it's been perfect so far.

Here's the band

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XX5L8G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And the adapter

http://www.clockworksynergy.com/sho...hangeable-watch-band-adapter-for-apple-watch/

Did you also post that on /r/Apple?

Yup :)

Top Bottom