• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

jts

...hate me...
Just hope Apple Watch 2 is still april or at least not much later.

I can't wait... assuming they improved the experience as much as it needed, iPad 2 style.

Phreaker

What's the rumors for Apple Watch 2?

Has any Watch 1 users felt like it has been a good health companion? I'd like to get something soon to help monitor my activity and I'm heavily invested into Apple ecosystem.

YES, I that is what I like about it most. The few days I didn't have it, while it was getting fixed, I really missed the get up and move reminder every hour. I also love that it tracks my exercise (treadmill).

Just hope Apple Watch 2 is still april or at least not much later.

I can't wait... assuming they improved the experience as much as it needed, iPad 2 style.

I can wait. I feel like the support for the new device really isn't there. The most significant thing they did is make their own apps more responsive along the way.

3rd party support has been disappointing, in particular with complications. And I'd like to see far more watchfaces.

I just haven't seen much movement forward with the watch. They seem to be satisfied with where it is now. Samsung's watch looks far more attractive to me, but of course it won't support iOS as much as the apple watch does.

Majine

Banned
I hope there is a good transition/trade-in program for the Watch 2. I like the watch, and the thought of an improved version has me interested, but fuck... I spent a lot of money on this one...

I hope there is a good transition/trade-in program for the Watch 2. I like the watch, and the thought of an improved version has me interested, but fuck... I spent a lot of money on this one...

From Apple? Don't think they do anything for any other product line, other than the recycling program.

Apple Watch looks like it's going for about $400 on trade in sites.

SeanR1221

List on Craigslist the second the Apple Watch 2 is announced.

Or lock into an online trade site a week or so before they have the conference

Majine

Banned
From Apple? Don't think they do anything for any other product line, other than the recycling program.

Sure, but one could argue the other product lines don't have a 10 000 dollar SKU. I don't have the Edition, but I figured the Stainless steel would be allowed to piggyback on a potential trade-in program.

I dunno, I might be in "It's nice to want things"-mode here.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Well, they do have awesome trade-in programs for iPhone and iPad, so there's a chance

dw.og

Ever since this first came out I have been tempted to pick one up. I'm trying to hold out until Gen 2 but worry that I may not make it.

What's the verdict on wearable tech on here? Useful? Not useful? Any preferred products? I see a lot of people with the FitBit bands.

Interfectum

Ever since this first came out I have been tempted to pick one up. I'm trying to hold out until Gen 2 but worry that I may not make it.

What's the verdict on wearable tech on here? Useful? Not useful? Any preferred products? I see a lot of people with the FitBit bands.

It's awesome and I use it daily. It's like my keychain leatherman micra and Inova flashlight... you don't realize how much you actually use it until one day you don't have it.

- quickly tells me outside temp, current physical activity
- starts/stops workout routines (so I can just pack away my phone in my pocket or flipbelt)
- while running lets me change song playlists, check run distance, etc without having to pull out phone
- quickly glance at notifications, texts, emails, etc to see if any are worth pulling phone out over
- great heart rate monitor for working out and running
- reminds me to stand up and move around (i work at a desk)
- super easy way to do Apple Pay
- looks more stylish than a fitbit or the rest, IMO
- use it in my subaru to make phone calls, it shoots it to car speakers

If you've held out this long though, I'd at least wait for them to announce Watch 2 before jumping in.

dw.og

It's awesome and I use it daily. It's like my keychain leatherman micra and Inova flashlight... you don't realize how much you actually use it until one day you don't have it.

- quickly tells me outside temp, current physical activity
- starts/stops workout routines (so I can just pack away my phone in my pocket or flipbelt)
- while running lets me change song playlists, check run distance, etc without having to pull out phone
- quickly glance at notifications, texts, emails, etc to see if any are worth pulling phone out over
- great heart rate monitor for working out and running
- reminds me to stand up and move around (i work at a desk)
- super easy way to do Apple Pay
- looks more stylish than a fitbit or the rest, IMO
- use it in my subaru to make phone calls, it shoots it to car speakers

If you've held out this long though, I'd at least wait for them to announce Watch 2 before jumping in.

Awesome, I will definitely pick one up eventually. But yeah I'll wait until they announce the Apple Watch 2. What size do you have? Is the 42mm more popular among NeoGAF? The larger screen seems nice but then again I have small wrists. But I have also seen a few guys with the 38mm.

Gen 2 will be announced in about 6-7 weeks, just wait it out.

I knew there was chatter about Gen 2 but didn't realize an announcement could be made so soon. Since that's the case I'll hold out until then.

Interfectum

Awesome, I will definitely pick one up eventually. But yeah I'll wait until they announce the Apple Watch 2. What size do you have? Is the 42mm more popular among NeoGAF? The larger screen seems nice but then again I have small wrists. But I have also seen a few guys with the 38mm.

I went with the 42mm but I've seen a ton of people on here and reddit get the 38mm. If you aren't sure which to get, just go to best buy or apple store or wherever and try it on. That's what I did.

Dang, I was ready to pick one up to start this year with cardio exercise but I see there's a new one around the corner...

My GF just got one as a christmas gift too :x

I’m not so sure that we’ll be seeing it that early. Several things that I’ve heard (from several sources) indicate to me that we won’t see a new hardware model of the Apple Watch in March. Design partnerships, accessories, that kind of thing maybe but not a “Watch 2.0” with a bunch of new hardware features like a camera. I could be wrong, of course, but I’ve heard enough to put it out there.

I spoke to Creative Strategies analyst Ben Bajarin, who says that supply chain checks are showing no movement that would indicate a new Watch model in production as of yet.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/15/when-will-we-see-a-new-apple-watch/

jts

...hate me...
I was afraid of that because there's been a palpable lack of true leaks and actually strong information on a new gen, providing it was supposed to be 2 months away to be shown.

Other than very unsure reports of a FaceTime camera, GPS, stronger wifi (?), better battery, which also sounds like just typical rumour fodder.

Not to mention the first generation is still arriving to new markets. Literally it will be released later next month in a few places.

What if the Apple Watch is a 2-year cycle product 😱

I think it's a smart idea to have a longer upgrade cycle for the Watch. I don't think many people are going to upgrade every year like they do with their phones. Different partnerships with brands could lead to minor changes that keep it fresh though.

SeanR1221

Using the clockwork synergy link adapters, I bought a 24mm fossil leather band and popped it on.

Best part is how the fossil bands have a release built right in so I can grab more and switch them easily

TJYi6BQh.jpg

cjp

Anyone in the UK tried a "grade A" strap from CEX? They're selling White 38mm for £12.

Grade A supposedly equates to "mint" condition. Wondering if it's worth the punt.

Ninja Dom

Anyone in the UK tried a "grade A" strap from CEX? They're selling White 38mm for £12.

Grade A supposedly equates to "mint" condition. Wondering if it's worth the punt.

If it's official Apple then it's definitely worth it. They probably bought a few off a gentleman who manage to "acquire" them from somewhere, like the back of a truck.

cjp

If it's official Apple then it's definitely worth it. They probably bought a few off a gentleman who manage to "acquire" them from somewhere, like the back of a truck.

Drove down to the store but it had sold out before I got there. Ended up continuing on to the Apple Store and I just ended up picking up a new one.

£39 is pretty hard to swallow for a strap...but, fuck it. Looks nice and I think it goes with the SGS nicely.

Ninja Dom

Drove down to the store but it had sold out before I got there. Ended up continuing on to the Apple Store and I just ended up picking up a new one.

£39 is pretty hard to swallow for a strap...but, fuck it. Looks nice and I think it goes with the SGS nicely.

Superb!!!

I also got the Space Grey Sport and treated myself to the light blue Sports Band when I got it back in June last year.

I really like the contrasting colours. Seeing your pic makes me also wanna get the white sports band too. But I don't wanna drop £39 on it.

This UK eBay seller is selling replicas for under £5

aparisi2274

Superb!!!

I also got the Space Grey Sport and treated myself to the light blue Sports Band when I got it back in June last year.

I really like the contrasting colours. Seeing your pic makes me also wanna get the white sports band too. But I don't wanna drop £39 on it.

This UK eBay seller is selling replicas for under £5

If you do not want to drop £39 on a band, take a look at some 3rd party bands.

Amazon has a ton of them that are really good. Here is a white Silicon replacement band for the 42mm sport

Apple Watch Band, JETech® Soft Silicone Replacement Sport Band for Apple Watch All 42mm Models (Silicone - White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015KPFYEQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know it's a link to the US store, but perhaps Amazon UK sell the same thing.

I have this company's black leather band for my 42mm sport and it looks great and I only paid $15USD

jts

...hate me...
I thought that having the Watch in March/April made sense to space out the products throughout the year, and also because it's that pre-Summer period where people want to buy fitness stuff to get ready for beach. Or something.

But I guess the first time around, the reception was somewhat lukewarm (although truth be said, the Watch was sold out for quite a while, and there wasn't even enough stock of it to be sold in stores) so it's understandable that Apple would want to try something new.

That would be the same that happened to the iPad, and, on a smaller degree, to the iPhone. Eventually everything gets moved to the Fall (AKA, pre-Christmas). I guess there's no hotter period for a product to be released.

Maybe it's not so much about the release itself, which will always see success, but about having a period right after that will sustain sales or even increase them, keeping the product hot and desirable, and getting the numbers to reach that critical mass.

As an Apple product the Watch has performed poorly.

Smartwatches just don't have the required battery tech to make them powerful, truely independent and accurate (fitness tracking). I think it will be another two generations before that happens.

I think Apple felt like they had to be a player at this stage, and are seemingly happy having a poorly functioning (speed, usefulness) product out on the market.

Compared the to the matured iPad/Phone, the Watch is the bastard son Apple wishes it didn't have to nurture.

I don't think the watch is "poorly functioning." What it does it does well. But it has limited utility.

Apps, outside some of the Apple ones, run terribly. Even after 2.0 they still load up as slow as fuck. You need apps to be instantaneous on a watch. It's meant for quick looks. For glances. Even the glances they have on this thing take forever to load.

I love the notifications, basic fitness functions, and flipping through music but for the most part the extended 3rd party applications function poorly for the most part.

Setting 'resume previous activity on wrist raise' instead of 'show watch face' made apps much more usable for me. Double pressing the crown to go between the watch screen and app hasn't been an issue.

Apps, outside some of the Apple ones, run terribly. Even after 2.0 they still load up as slow as fuck. You need apps to be instantaneous on a watch. It's meant for quick looks. For glances. Even the glances they have on this thing take forever to load.

I love the notifications, basic fitness functions, and flipping through music but for the most part the extended 3rd party applications function poorly for the most part.

I usually feel like an idiot when I use a 3rd party app on the watch. They take so long to load that I'm probably better off just taking out my phone.

cjp

I might take a punt on those. Fancy a red one...so tempting.

Bought one. Feels fine and fits just as great as the official one. I'm going to send the official one back and pick up some more knock off colours. Only thing I obviously can't comment on is long term quality and whether it will peel or go all discoloured. Not really sure it matters though, considering the price.

XNSAmz7.jpg

Forgot to swap it to red modular for the pic so you'll have to use your imagination. Looks a little orange in the photo actually.

Top Bottom