• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

iMax

Thanks, sounds good, but does the watch know if you're wearing it? Say I've come home from work and taken it off - either to charge, or just laid it down on the table. I get a call/message - what happens?

I'd like the option to also have the phone make a noise or vibrate as a backup

It knows. It uses the sensors on the ceramic. Same reason Apple Pay is disabled when it loses contact with your skin.

SuperPac

Thanks, sounds good, but does the watch know if you're wearing it? Say I've come home from work and taken it off - either to charge, or just laid it down on the table. I get a call/message - what happens?

I'd like the option to also have the phone make a noise or vibrate as a backup

It knows.

The Apple Watch app on your phone allows you to tweak a lot of things about the watch. 9to5mac has a full screenshot rundown - http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/13/final-apple-watch-companion-app-for-iphone-interface-revealed-gallery/

Adjusting the force of the haptics is pretty nice!

The kinds of people who buy $17,000 watches won't even look at an Apple Watch.

The $350 one will do just fine though, and hopefully Jony Ive won't pull a 20th Anniversary Macintosh on Apple Watch and the world will have forgotten his $17,000 mistake by next year when Apple Watch 2 debuts without an "Edition" model.

I feel like the thread title should be "Apple invents time" because let's face it, you have to invent time before you need a device which can keep track of it!

Guess Who

Banned
The kinds of people who buy $17,000 watches won't even look at an Apple Watch.

The $350 one will do just fine though, and hopefully Jony Ive won't pull a 20th Anniversary Macintosh on Apple Watch and the world will have forgotten his $17,000 mistake by next year when Apple Watch 2 debuts without an "Edition" model.

This will be a fun post to come back to in a year.

TxdoHawk

Getting hyped for launch. The only thing I'm debating is pickup in store vs. delivery, this is my first time pre-ordering an Apple thing. Is there any chance of online order shipments showing up early?

Getting hyped for launch. The only thing I'm debating is pickup in store vs. delivery, this is my first time pre-ordering an Apple thing. Is there any chance of online order shipments showing up early?
In the past, Apple has had deals with the shipping companies. When the Apple devices arrive at their destination hub earlier than launch day, they just sit there - the delivery company holds onto them until the day arrives. The only time delivery companies purposely don't deliver as quickly as possible, and let packages pile up.

Epix

pharrellapplewatch.png

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
When its off it looks like a baby 1st gen iPhone with the chrome bezel.

Frostburn

Screens and functionality look good. I just can't spend $749 to get a stainless with a leather band as that's about the minimum I'd go for watch type and band. Just too expensive for me, I'm sure they'll sell well but for me it's too expensive for something that will just get better in every way as the years go on.

TxdoHawk

Thanks for the responses guys. Think I'm just going to reserve for pick up at a store then, I don't trust my mailmen and see no point in relying on them when it'll be delivered release day anyway.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Really starting to feel quite real.

Hmm, am really interested in the different haptic sensations Ive/Apple has designed. The recent Wired article makes note how he personally approved each and every haptic sensation and it took nearly a year to get them all up to snuff.

One of my favorite aspects of my first smartphone, the Sidekick2, was that it paid special attention to usability features deaf customers would use. It had very specific and granular vibration customization and a fully programmable RGB setup for its notification blinker. I still think about my notification setup from those days. I suppose thats something Android may offer but I'm excited to have a similar feature in the iOS device stack.

kaskade

I hope with these starting to be out in the wild we start to see some impressions popping up soon. You guys think they will wait until closer to release date or the 10th? I mean people can play with them in stores so I don't see much of a reason to hold back.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Joshua Topolsky announce is new podcast will start on the 16th? And he definitely has one. Maybe the 16th potentially could be an embargo date or something as far as advanced reviews go or something.

Employees get 50% off but I don't think that applies to me since I'm technically an AppleCare employee via a third party vendor. But damnit I'll still try with my AppleConnect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Screens and functionality look good. I just can't spend $749 to get a stainless with a leather band as that's about the minimum I'd go for watch type and band. Just too expensive for me, I'm sure they'll sell well but for me it's too expensive for something that will just get better in everywhere as the years go on.

Get a sport and then a $25 stainless band and wrap around bumper from eBay (3rd party bands will be huge, bumpers to disguise the sport face are just a guess)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Allright, I'm going to get the stainless steel 42MM watch with the black sport band. I haven't decided on AppleCare yet, I can get that later from what I hear.

I also ordered this stand...
http://www.hellonomad.com/products/stand-for-apple-watch

...and contributed to the Click adapter Kickstarter...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1516117990/click-the-first-watch-band-adapter-for-apple-watch

... and got a Fossil band for the Click adapter. I also decided on getting a free stainless steel band since they cleared the $100K stretch goal. I may get a rubber band later depending on how good the sport band is. If I don't like it, I can always flip it on eBay to someone for $10 or something.

I'm so freaking ready.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Does Siri support the more niche languages (Like dutch) yet? Because if not, that severely hampers it's usefulness right now.

Definitely tempted though.

Majine

Banned
Does Siri support the more niche languages (Like dutch) yet? Because if not, that severely hampers it's usefulness right now.

In iOS 8.3 Beta, Siri supports dutch (and some other languages). But if it's anything like swedish, it's rubbish compared to english.

rezuth

Definitely tempted though.

"iOS 8.3 adds support for the following languages in Siri: Russian, Danish, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, and English for India"

giga

In iOS 8.3 Beta, Siri supports dutch (and some other languages). But if it's anything like swedish, it's rubbish compared to english.

All other languages are rubbish if you compare them to the GOAT. God bless America for inventing English.

SuperPac

Angela Ahrendts: 'The Days of Waiting in Line' at Apple Stores Are Over

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/07/angela-ahrendts-online-memo/

Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts has issued an internal memo to retail employees that encourages store staff to direct customers to the Apple Online Store to purchase the Apple Watch and new MacBook, according to Business Insider. Ahrendts says that this is "a significant change in mindset" for Apple, noting that the long lines that typically form on Apple product launch days "are over" at retail stores.

"Get in line online

The days of waiting in line and crossing fingers for a product are over for our customers. The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook. Customers will know exactly when and where their product arrives.

This is a significant change in mindset, and we need your help to make it happen. Tell your customers we have more availability online, and show them how easy it is to order. You'll make their day."​

Apple previously outlined changes to its so-called "Customer Journey" in leaked training documents obtained by MacRumors last month, emphasizing that retail employees will be focused on "reducing wait times and physical lines" for the Apple Watch. One way Apple will limit in-store waiting times for the Apple Watch is by requiring reservations for pick-up at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, although Business Insider notes that option will be unavailable to U.K. customers at launch.

Interesting approach. I haven't waited in line at an Apple Store in awhile myself, but this is contrary to the idea that Apple loves the huge crazy lines at their stores at launch. I mean, there will be a line still I'm sure, but it'll be smaller and for reservation pickups which will hopefully go faster.

There will still be lines of people with preorders for in store pickup. That's basically what happened with iPhone 6. I don't expect the crowds to be as big though.

LCfiner

makes sense. waiting in lines is not an upscale shopping experience, so I can see why they'd want to reduce that for their products.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I hope they've upped the capacity on their servers then. I couldn't get into the Apple Store site for 20 minutes when the iPhone 6 pre-orders begun.

SuperPac

No lines makes me happy, won't stop my fellow scalpers from queuing tho

I'm wondering how well scalpers will do with this one. There's some question as to what the demand will be like at launch already. While delivery times may slip you'll still be able to order online (apparently the limit is 2) and there are 30 models of the "affordable" watches. No units for walk-ins on the 24th means you can't hire line-sitters or have every member of your family sit there. Not that it's impossible, of course, but it's going to be a lot more difficult and will the return be worth the trouble?

And they're launching in most of the territories where scalpers have found the biggest markets before. So. I'll be glad if the scalping market is diminished (finally!).

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
makes sense. waiting in lines is not an upscale shopping experience, so I can see why they'd want to reduce that for their products.

then they should start delivering iPhones to work adresses. They still only deliver to your home address afaik.

I've known people who work at Apple Stores, and every time I've tried to talk them into a discount they've been legitimately frightened to even broach the topic. Apparently Apple is mega-serious about not letting anyone else have your discount and doing so is grounds for termination. I think you are allowed 1 or 2 purchases for a year to be given strictly as gifts. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a database where they cross reference the Device ID/Serial and the AppleID associated with it, and if the AppleID does not match an employee then they come hunt you down.

50% discount for employees is an indication that Apple's profit margin on this device must be pretty damned insane. I mean, they probably wouldn't sell them to employees at a loss, so at most it must cost $175 to manufacture one.

This is pretty much completely false. I won't go into the details to much, but you definitely get a lot more friends/family discounts on hero products than 2 Try double digits. Also there is no hunting down of product flipped, but If you make a small business out of flipping your personal or friends/family EPP discount, then yea trouble maybe if it becomes a public issue. A does not have access to employee A-ID's, and there is no data base that tracks serial association with said devices.

Just wanted to clear things up, Cant wait to get my Space black order in on Friday! ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Interesting approach. I haven't waited in line at an Apple Store in awhile myself, but this is contrary to the idea that Apple loves the huge crazy lines at their stores at launch. I mean, there will be a line still I'm sure, but it'll be smaller and for reservation pickups which will hopefully go faster.

it also seems an odd product to use to introduce that policy change. You really need to try one on to check out sizing, and also see the bands etc in person to properly decide which version is best for you.

If they recommended people to come in, try them on, pick their preferred model and then the in-store staff assisted in putting a preorder in place online, that'd be ok.

Fliesen

then they should start delivering iPhones to work adresses. They still only deliver to your home address afaik.

they don't in the U.S.? how do they tell it's not a home address?
i have all of my orders sent to my workplace since i'm not at home during the day, obviously.

they love the lines, they hate the fact that it's mostly pretty obvious scalpers that ship them to foreign markets. They hate that their customers get pissed at them for serving scalpers first.
the only way this could alleviate the scalping issue would be that they'll need you to pay with credit card, as scalpers mostly pay with all cash.

Top Bottom