• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Epix

One thing I don't get is:

So the Apple Watch will have its own App store inside the Apple Watch app, so are the apps separate from their phone counterparts or are they attached to them, similar to notification center widgets?

As stated they're the same apps. The App Store within the Apple Watch app will just be a filtered list of regular apps that support the Apple Watch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thinking more about the gold version of this watch, and I think it could be in everyone's best interest if that thing flops badly. If it's a massive success, I feel like there will be no end to Apple's hubris. They've already started transitioning towards a luxury/jewelry manufacturer, pricing their things accordingly, and in the case of a new MacBook, even designing it to look good first and foremost, even if it comes at the expense of functionality and usability. I'd like if they get pegged down a notch, so that they have to rethink their strategies and pricing a bit, similar to a big price cut they did right after the first iphone came out.

subrock

Thinking more about the gold version of this watch, and I think it could be in everyone's best interest if that thing flops badly. If it's a massive success, I feel like there will be no end to Apple's hubris. They've already started transitioning towards a luxury/jewelry manufacturer, pricing their things accordingly, and in the case of a new MacBook, even designing it to look good first and foremost, even if it comes at the expense of functionality and usability. I'd like if they get pegged down a notch, so that they have to rethink their strategies and pricing a bit, similar to a big price cut they did right after the first iphone came out.

Just pretend it doesn't exist and save yourself an ulcer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thing is, I may not be able to pretend these products don't exist for much longer if they find success in this realm. It could easily be that they stop making their low-end products if/when they find success in a full blown luxury. They could, for example, easily stop making the aluminum version of the watch, or stop making MacBook air, only to set the 12" as their cheapest model, which is now going the be far more expensive than the cheapest Air used to be. That's kind of why I wrote that post.

Thinking more about the gold version of this watch, and I think it could be in everyone's best interest if that thing flops badly. If it's a massive success, I feel like there will be no end to Apple's hubris
Why is it hubris to support an untapped market? Imagine you are rich, wouldn't you want to be able to get a better watch, without having to resort to some gaudy gold plating or diamond studding by an aftermarket mod company?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thing is, I may not be able to pretend these products don't exist for much longer if they find success in this realm. It could easily be that they stop making their low-end products if/when they find success in a full blown luxury. They could, for example, easily stop making the aluminum version of the watch, or stop making MacBook air, only to set the 12" as their cheapest model, which is now going the be far more expensive than the cheapest Air used to be. That's kind of why I wrote that post.

So for paranoid and crazy reasons.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You don't think they are going to drop the Air from the lineup? It serves practically no purpose now that new MB is there, much how that white plastic MB served no purpose once MBA came out, and was eventually dropped. It's not paranoid to think that Apple wants to be a full blown luxury company. Why would they want to pollute their lineup with cheaper products once they find big success there? You can't, after all, buy really cheap products from any luxury company.

Guess Who

Banned
You don't think they are going to drop the Air from the lineup? It serves practically no purpose now that new MB is there, much how that white plastic MB served no purpose once MBA came out, and was eventually dropped. It's not paranoid to think that Apple wants to be a full blown luxury company. Why would they want to pollute their lineup with cheaper products once they find big success there? You can't, after all, buy really cheap products from any luxury company.

They will definitely drop the Air from the lineup once the "MacBook" comes down in price, but I think you forget that the original Air in 2008 was even MORE expensive than the new MacBook and even LESS powerful relative to machines of its time. This is nothing new.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

None of these items are "cheap".
They're not going to alienate the grand majority of their userbase suddenly.
Do you remember how expensive and poor the original Air was? Look at it now.
The same will happen with the new MB.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They will definitely drop the Air from the lineup once the "MacBook" comes down in price, but I think you forget that the original Air in 2008 was even MORE expensive than the new MacBook and even LESS powerful relative to machines of its time. This is nothing new.
I didn't forget that, and I'd be OK if it plays out that way again - I'm just saying I think it may not play out that way again if they find find big success in the true luxury market. That's why I think it's literally in no one's interest for the gold watch to be a big success.

WalkMan

Banned

So are you also bitter about other brands like aston martin and ferrari for existing? Sounds to me like if you can't have it then no one else should have it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And me. I'm going Stainless and black sport band to start. Might pick up another band later but no rush.

yeah going with black sport band just because I don't want to bother picking anything else at launch... will definitely get a dressier band(s) for outside of the gym.

curious to see third party bands.. and by third party I mean high end.. The apple metal band for example is not outside of the running. really open to any quality band that would look nice with the polished steel watch.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I didn't forget that, and I'd be OK if it plays out that way again - I'm just saying I think it may not play out that way again if they find find big success in the true luxury market. That's why I think it's literally in no one's interest for the gold watch to be a big success.

Put the bong down. You can configure Mac Pro setups over $10k, that doesn't stop them selling Mac Minis.

Blackhead

Redarse

People getting upset about the 17k watch don't get it, IT'S NOT FOR YOU. Move on, there are cheaper options.

But it does affect us. Apple wouldn't release the iWatch Sport in only shitty dark grey and even shittier lighter grey if the Editon didn't exist.

iPhone is available in space grey, white or gold for the same price.
iPad is available in space grey, white or gold for the same price
Even the new Macbook is available in space grey, white or gold for the same price.

But Apple wants us to pay $1,100 for black or $10,000 for gold with the iWatch...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So are you also bitter about other brands like aston martin and ferrari for existing? Sounds to me like if you can't have it then no one else should have it.
I don't know if my posts are so obtuse, but no I absolutely do not mind brands like that existing. I just hope Apple doesn't become like them, because I like their products for their usability and not for the amount of luxury they offer. I don't want them to stop selling products that are (relatively) affordable and start focusing on super expensive luxury stuff in the future.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But it does affect us. Apple wouldn't release the iWatch Sport in only shitty dark grey and even shittier lighter grey if the Editon didn't exist.

Even the new Macbook is available in space grey, white or gold for the same price.

But Apple wants us to pay $1,100 for black or $10,000 for gold with the iWatch...

Those "shitty" dark and light gray colors and material are the same as the iPhone and iPad and Macbooks except supposedly even more resilient against scratches.

Watches are a luxury, so yes, the stainless steel versions, and black DLC (or pvd, whatever they're using for coating) SS cost more.
And of course the real gold version is another level.

Nafai1123

Banned

Except it's more like a $35k Lexus being sold for $500k because it's a special edition with some unique trim.

I personally find the band pricing far more offensive than the money burning edition though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Those "shitty" dark and light gray colors and material are the same as the iPhone and iPad and Macbooks except supposedly even more resilient against scratches.

Watches are a luxury, so yes, the stainless steel versions, and black DLC (or pvd, whatever they're using for coating) SS cost more.
And of course the real gold version is another level.

I'm talking about color combinations not material. There's no reason Apple can't offer the aluminum in more pleasing colors, including gold. But they won't offer a gold colored Sport when the Edition exists

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I don't want them to stop selling products that are (relatively) affordable and start focusing on super expensive luxury stuff in the future.

Why would they do that? If they decided to drop all of their products for solid gold versions only the 1% could afford, who would support them? Who would write software for them? Where would they be used? You're really reading too much into this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm talking about color combinations not material. There's no reason Apple can't offer the aluminum in more pleasing colors, including gold. But they won't offer a gold colored Sport when the Edition exists

What other "pleasing" colors did you want the aluminum to come in?
It already comes in 2 of the same colors the phones/ipads do.

I guess we do miss out on the gold aluminium though. Which for some reason wouldn't be just as "shitty".

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you threw black in there... but didn't mention black anywhere else.. also the black watch is only a $100 premium over the polished one... it's really not that crazy priced.. they just force you to buy the link band with it.. BUT there is also the extra black oxide process done to it in regards to the $100 premium.

as for the gold... I think you are fighting apples and oranges here. yes there are "gold" devices... but had apple released a "gold" watch... I think they would have gotten a much bigger shit storm than releasing the Watch Edition. I get what you're saying.. but seriously.. had they released an aluminum "gold" watch it would have been viewed as super tacky and you know it.

like I said.. gold hued aluminum on a computing device? sure. on a watch? tacky as hell. seriously, it would look like shit. and this is coming from someone who has a gold 6 (not by choice.. but I'm fine with how it looks)

SuperPac

like I said.. gold hued aluminum on a computing device? sure. on a watch? tacky as hell. seriously, it would look like shit. and this is coming from someone who has a gold 6 (not by choice.. but I'm fine with how it looks)

Is it wrong that I already think the Sport looks tacky/cheap? I mean, it is "cheap" but - I dunno. I don't really like the way it looks. A gold-colored aluminum model would not change my perception there.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is it wrong that I already think the Sport looks tacky/cheap? I mean, it is "cheap" but - I dunno. I don't really like the way it looks. A gold-colored aluminum model would not change my perception there.

Are there some good in-hand comparison pics of the aluminum vs ss?
Space gray and black included?
Promo shots don't look great, but they never do to me.

Blackhead

Redarse
What other "pleasing" colors did you want the aluminum to come in?
It already comes in 2 of the same colors the phones/ipads do.

I guess we do miss out on the gold aluminium though. Which for some reason wouldn't be just as "shitty".

you threw black in there... but didn't mention black anywhere else.. also the black watch is only a $100 premium over the polished one... it's really not that crazy priced.. they just force you to buy the link band with it.. BUT there is also the extra black oxide process done to it.

as for the gold... I think you are fighting apples and oranges here. yes there are "gold" devices... but had apple released a "gold" watch... I think they would have gotten a much bigger shit storm than releasing the Watch Edition. I get what you're saying.. but seriously.. had they released an aluminum "gold" watch it would have been viewed as super tacky and you know it.

C'mon guys it's not rocket science. Obviously Apple would offer leather/metal straps with matching finish and/or a gold colored version of the Sport if the iWatch SS and Edition didn't exist. I'm not saying that I would buy a gold colored iWatch but it at least looks better than the grey.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
C'mon guys it's not rocket science. Obviously Apple would offer leather/metal straps with matching finish and/or a gold colored version of the Sport if the iWatch SS and Edition didn't exist. I'm not saying that I would buy a gold colored iWatch but it at least looks better than the grey.

Oh, so now it's about the straps.
I can't even count the number of goalpost changes.

iMax

Can you please stop calling it the SS.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lol, no better response than that?

No, not if you keep changing points.

First it was shitty colors only for the aluminum models and comparing them to iPhones/iPads when they're the same colors and material. Minus gold of course.

Then it was about having more "pleasing" colors for the Sport, but like what? You didn't answer me. That's alright.
Perhaps the same pleasing colors the iPhone/iPads also come in?

Now it's about the strap options and their finishes.
Got you covered there, you can change those via 3rd party options. Like every other watch, or just use the Apple options if you don't mind mixing a little SS with aluminum.

The fact that the Sport is 100% functionally similar to the Edition puts most of these worries to bed. Same thing with the Airs. It is an odd complaint to say "Well, they aren't doing this thing right now and there are no indications that they will do it in the future... but what if they did?"

For the rest I will point out that Apple is an unprecedentedly giant company that requires unprecedented massive growth to keep investors happy. They need all (of the profitable) corners of the market. In addition to still having what is probably a healthy profit margin, the Sport helps to keep people locked into the iPhone.

Apple, as a company, has drastically lowered the entry level price of their products over that last two decades. This has directly coincided with their meteoric rise. They are not going to move away from that to sell a low volume of luxury jewelry. I would argue that Apple's core is that they offer attainable luxury.

One of the things that the Edition does is raise the relative value of the Sport and Steel models. It's basic pricing theory. The cheap Sport gets people in the door. Then they consider upgrading. The Edition creates a price ceiling that allows people to spend $1000 on a Steel Watch and not feel like they are being ostentatious jerks. It also allows them access to a huge market in China. It's not a coincidence that the most expensive Edition Watch is Gold with a red band.

No reason other than the hundreds or realities of creating resilient alloys and scratch proof anodizings. Not to mention the fact that they are already pushing the amount of SKUs offered as it is.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can you please stop calling it the SS.
It's a bad habit I picked up from Macrumors forum :/
Any suggestions for other abbreviations?
No, not if you keep changing points.

First it was shitty colors only for the aluminum models and comparing them to iPhones/iPads when they're the same colors and material. Minus gold of course.

Then it was about having more "pleasing" colors for the Sport, but like what? You didn't answer me. That's alright.
Perhaps the same pleasing colors the iPhone/iPads also come in?

Now it's about the strap options and their finishes.
Got you covered there, you can change those via 3rd party options. Like every other watch, or just use the Apple options if you don't mind mixing a little SS with aluminum.

My point is simple and the same. Apple would offer the Sport in more options if the Steel and the Edition didn't exist. Perhaps because insulted the color choices of the Sport (I mean really, how many 'real' watches do you see in Space grey?) you feel a need to defend Apple but the point besides that is basic I'm surprised you're arguing about it.

If you want to get into a discussion of the color choices that's fine too. I think the greys are very poor choices for a watch. I'd rather have a black aluminium that chipped

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I see colors and options expanding in the future.
Perhaps titanium body and bracelet for ultra-lightweight metal feel?
Or 100% ceramic too? That would work well in various colors.

EDIT: I just don't get what you're putting out Greyface.
The options seem pretty fine as is to me. Even if the sport is "ugly". I really don't know either way until I see it in the flesh.
I've never seen aluminum watches before, I'm just imagining the phone's bodies in watch form. Seems ok for a workout/sport watch.
I'd prefer stainless easily though.

Hell, I can see the sport coming out in a ton of colors like the old iPods in the future.

Well, i'll be trying to pre order at 3 am on the east coast. I'm in for sport model to try it out, and if i like it, i'll get the far superior second gen version in steel.

Well, i'll be trying to pre order at 3 am on the east coast. I'm in for sport model to try it out, and if i like it, i'll get the far superior second gen version in steel.

"Far superior"...what could they add that would make it far superior in just a year? More battery life wouldn't matter much unless they increased it from 18 hours to 42 hours. More sensors or built-in GPS, only really useful for fitness enthusiasts. CPU speed doesn't matter, since most apps run on the iPhone and use the watch for display. For size, it's already pretty small and thin. A higher screen resolution wouldn't really do much except make battery life worse.

Fliesen

"Far superior"...what could they add that would make it far superior in just a year? More battery life wouldn't matter much unless they increased it from 18 hours to 42 hours. More sensors or built-in GPS, only really useful for fitness enthusiasts. CPU speed doesn't matter, since most apps run on the iPhone and use the watch for display. For size, it's already pretty small and thin. A higher screen resolution wouldn't really do much except make battery life worse.

speaking of "built in GPS being mostly relevant to fitness enthusiasts"

has it already been posted that the Watch supposedly learns your strides over time (when using it paired with an iPhone) so it should get pretty accurate about the distance you ran, even when using it sans GPS or on a treadmill?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/26/apple-watch-runners-strides/

also, i agree, i don't believe we're going to experience a dramatic jump in perceivable performance or meaningful increase in battery life from gen 1 to gen 2.
I see them making it a bit thinner and maybe dropping the entry price to 299 for the 38mm sport in gen 2.

I currently run with my phone strapped to my arm (because i use spotify and not locally synced playlists), so the phone requirement is a non issue to me for my running purposes.

Top Bottom