• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Juice

then they should start delivering iPhones to work adresses. They still only deliver to your home address afaik.

This isn't something Apple restricts arbitrarily, it's necessary because carrier subsidies are on the line.

If you could get Apple to ship a phone anywhere, then fraud would be rampant as people use name/zip/ssn to buy phones using other people's subsidies. And what happens if your subsidy is defrauded? Will AT&T tell you to take a hike for two years? Will Apple be expected to eat it or adjudicate?

Apple doesn't want to be in that situation, so marginally upsetting people who commute to work and want their iPhone day 1 (but not enough to take the day off) is worth enforcing the address on the account be the shipping address.

If you REALLY want your iPhone shipped to your business, set up your business as your home address with your carrier.

toohectic

What's the difference between the ceramic back of the standard watch and the glass back of the sport model? What is the benefit of the ceramic back? The ceramic back shows silver rings around the sensor that are not featured in the glass back. Are these rings aesthetic only?

SuperPac

it also seems an odd product to use to introduce that policy change. You really need to try one on to check out sizing, and also see the bands etc in person to properly decide which version is best for you.

If they recommended people to come in, try them on, pick their preferred model and then the in-store staff assisted in putting a preorder in place online, that'd be ok.

That is what they're doing (or trying to?) with the whole preview/try-on appointments thing two weeks out from launch. People who come into the store and try one on can then be confident in the model they reserve.

If you separated try-ons and pre-orders any more then you'd have the situation where people come into the store, try one on, and maybe forget to pre-order if those weren't open yet. If you limited pre-orders to only the people who came in to try them on then you could have crazy lines again. This is probably the best way to do it (not ideal maybe, but, what'ya gonna do).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This will be a fun post to come back to in a year.
It's a bold prediction, which is cool.
IMO, the gold apple watch is a rude, drunken gamble of someone clearly too rich to care (in this case Apple, obviously). It costs them next to nothing to try it, if it works out it's a perfect example of "it prints money", if it doesn't work out, oh well who cares, right? In terms of materials used, that watch costs what? $500-1000 more to make than an aluminum one, and every single other thing about it is the exact same as the $350 one, so next to no extra R&D or manufacturing went into it. In terms of exclusivity it's the worst $10K+ watch I can think of. It's the exact same thing as the cheapo thing millions of people will be wearing, and it's mass produced by the same assembly line workers in China, but they sell it for probably 20x over the manufacturing price, so anyone they sucker into buying it is just pure profit.

ecurbj

I know this sounds like an idiotic question but if we are preordering the Apple Watch this Friday. Is the guaranteed delivery date April 24th or is that when Apple ships them out and we get the Watch the following week?

I know this sounds like an idiotic question but if we are preordering the Apple Watch this Friday. Is the guaranteed delivery date April 24th or is that when Apple ships them out and we get the Watch the following week?

If iPhones are anything to go by, you will receive the watch on the 24th.

Majine

Banned
Wonder what the boxes will look like, since it's a very modular product with thousands of combinations. Maybe like the iPhone 6 boxes, as in, a minimalist look.

cakefoo

Stumbled on this, pretty neat but $60...

NomadPod - Four charges of Apple Watch in your pocket

FusoM70.png

J8be1up.png

they love the lines.

she's the former CEO of high end fashion line, long lines outside a Burberry store isn't something she'd ever want to see, it's not "classy". So maybe Apple used to love lines but I can tell you from the fashion world she came from long lines and people sleeping outside for days isn't attracting

Blackhead

Redarse
she's the former CEO of high end fashion line, long lines outside a Burberry store isn't something she'd ever want to see, it's not "classy". So maybe Apple used to love lines but I can tell you from the fashion world she came from long lines and people sleeping outside for days isn't attracting

Eh, long lines for fashion is a thing. There were long lines for the Alexander Wang x H&M collection recently that even made the nightly news. The problem is fashion is not the same thing as luxury

iWatch Sport = Fashion
iWatch SS = Premium
iWatch Edition = 'Luxury'

Apple is breaking a lot of basic marketing rules trying to appeal to all these groups with the same product in the same space. It's just not done.

iirc some other GAFer suggested that Apple should have announced/launched the SS/Edition after the public release of the Sport. That's what I'd have done: announce only the Sport. Seed the SS/Edition with celebrities and via leaks. Sell Sport version like usually but require an appointment/invitation to allow purchase of the SS/Edition... *shrug* this is why Apple hired all these fashion execs for so let's see in the next few months if they are worth their large pays

ayeorkean

What's the difference between the ceramic back of the standard watch and the glass back of the sport model? What is the benefit of the ceramic back? The ceramic back shows silver rings around the sensor that are not featured in the glass back. Are these rings aesthetic only?

Couldn't find a definite answer. However the rings are still in the sport version, the rings just seem to be colored black and difficult to see. Best guess would be antennas sandwiched between the zirconia or glass material. Apple has a patent for it. From apple's website:
We chose zirconia, a type of ceramic, as the primary material. It’s nonconductive, so the antenna can perform without any interference from the crystal. It’s also opaque, which eliminates cross-talk between the components of the heart rate sensor.

It's also used in jewelry because of it's hardness and premium feel.

Edit: Yeah, the zirconia is probably for aesthetics because it seems they were able to achieve everything else with glass. It's 'jewelry' and you're paying more for a 'premium feel'.

iMax

What about that makes you think reviews are about to drop? Lots of random people in there joking about the time Apple has used on all images of the watch, 10:09. iPhone 6/6+ reviews had an embargo of the launch day.

Because he said 'time' not 'date'. Implies it's today. Unless it really is just an awful attempt at a pun.

Ambient80

I really doubt Apple will let reviews of a product hit like two weeks before launch, particularly with one as divisive/"controversial" as the Watch.

Eh, long lines for fashion is a thing. There were long lines for the Alexander Wang x H&M collection recently that even made the nightly news. The problem is fashion is not the same thing as luxury

Burberry wouldn't want to be seen on the same level of cheaper priced brands as AW and especially H&M

SuperPac

I really doubt Apple will let reviews of a product hit like two weeks before launch, particularly with one as divisive/"controversial" as the Watch.

Except that there is no stock for walk-ins on launch day and they want people to come into the store and try models that only run a demo loop. If this product was being launched like others before it without the in-store demos I would agree it'd be closer to launch. Things could be different this time.

I already committed to the Pebble Time but the Apple thirst is real.

I will at least put an order in while I mull it over.

On the other hand I think Apple needs the reviews to get out there and convince people that the watch is something they actually want / "need"

But why would they need to do it this week? A hands-on from a random person who tried it for up to 15 minutes is quite a bit different from a full review from a professional review site after having a month of experience using the device. People were able to try the iPhone 6 in store before its release, but Apple still required that they hold off until release date.

iMax

But why would they need to do it this week? A hands-on from a random person who tried it for up to 15 minutes is quite a bit different from a full review from a professional review site after having a month of experience using the device.

Because people will go in repeatedly, get enough hands-on time with it to feel they can write a review, publish it, dominate clicks, and then when the real reviews come around, people have stopped caring as they've already made their mind up.

People were able to try the iPhone 6 in store before its release, but Apple still required that they hold off until release date.

Nope.

SuperPac

But why would they need to do it this week? A hands-on from a random person who tried it for up to 15 minutes is quite a bit different from a full review from a professional review site after having a month of experience using the device. People were able to try the iPhone 6 in store before its release, but Apple still required that they hold off until release date.

They were? Don't think so.

To me there are a couple difference with this launch that could signal we'd get reviews this week.

- Apple Watch-related updates to major, mainstream apps began hitting the store on March 26. (That is super-early.)
- They gave other developers the go-ahead to submit apps on March 31. That's earlier than usual with iOS device launches.
- In-store try-on/previews start April 10 and they will not have units available for walk-ins on launch day. They are pointing everyone to apple.com for ordering. Reviews in major outlets, newspapers, etc. would alert people to this 'change' in process.
- Major tech blogs/newspapers would probably like to publish their reviews before a consumer can go into a store and put one (even a demo unit) on their wrist.

I assume that the ceramic saves weight which is more important on the Steel models. Funny sidenote, this chart shows that the lightest watch/band combination is actually the Steel with the Classic Buckle.

Word of mouth from internet randoms can move mountains one way or another. If Apple can get in front of that with positive professional reviews, they will.

SuperPac

Word of mouth from internet randoms can move mountains one way or another. If Apple can get in front of that one way or another with positive professional reviews, they will.

That's another good point. We'd be likely to see YouTube vids of "LOL I tried an APple iWatch and it suXXored" after Friday. You want to make sure there's a foundation of professional reviews before that inevitability. :)

AW is cheap? lol

There were lines for the collab with H&M because it allowed for much cheaper AW styles.
Versace has done a collab with H&M even.

It's all relative, AW is very expensive compared to brands most people shop, but Burberry is a brand that carries $5k coats, $1k cardigans. So yes, AW is a step down to the Burberry brand. Again it's all relative. She was just the CEO of Burberry and Apple hired her for a reason, to bring that luxury to apple, and people camping out in tents isn't something you'd see outside a Versace store

Do you know why Versace does a collab with H&M to make "made in China" clothes that are affordable for the average Joe who couldn't realistically shop at a Versace boutique

subrock

If Canadian iPhones are anything to go by, you will receive the watch on the 24th.. of May.

Majine

Banned
One thing I don't get is:

So the Apple Watch will have its own App store inside the Apple Watch app, so are the apps separate from their phone counterparts or are they attached to them, similar to notification center widgets?

Guess Who

Banned

So the Apple Watch will have its own App store inside the Apple Watch app, so are the apps separate from their phone counterparts or are they attached to them, similar to notification center widgets?

The latter. WatchKit apps are basically extensions in the main app. The Watch App Store just showcases iOS apps that support the Watch.

subrock

There won't be a separate app store at launch. The apps on your phone are the apps on the watch.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's all relative, AW is very expensive compared to brands most people shop, but Burberry is a brand that carries $5k coats, $1k cardigans. So yes, AW is a step down to the Burberry brand. Again it's all relative. She was just the CEO of Burberry and Apple hired her for a reason, to bring that luxury to apple, and people camping out in tents isn't something you'd see outside a Versace store

Erm, have you seen AW prices?
Look at the price for this simple top.
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...=4294912074+306418048+399545540&bmUID=kOkcLRh

Burberry and AW are both luxury brands. They just have very different styles and demographic. Burberry wouldn't work with the crowd H&M appeals to so a collab isn't likely. It's perfect for a more youthful brand like AW.

Do you know why Versace does a collab with H&M to make "made in China" clothes that are affordable for the average Joe who couldn't realistically shop at a Versace boutique

Of course.
My point is that Versace didn't think it'd hurt their brand despite being ultra luxury to do a collab with H&M.

Epix

Ok....I'll be staying up until midnight and ordering:

• 42mm Stainless Steel
  • Classic Buckle
  • Brown Leather Loop
  • White Sports Band

Top Bottom