• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes May 12th

2thepoint

I could literally walk down the Street in December, get a PS4 for $350 with a Gift card, and a free game, sometimes 2 free games.

Sometimes I would get PSN+ free with the purchase of a PS4 and one game, which also came with a free game.

So I guess it just depends where you looked (Not all retailers had 2 free games and gift cards for Xbox one purchases (outside black friday), during those months, it was mostly target leading that anyway. Bestbuy occasionally had gift card deals but that wasn't much of a thin after November.)

But this all depends on where you go so this conversation is pretty much pointless, back to Batman.

Nope Xbox One actually has games in that part of the year so nope. Who will win is anyone's guess but there will be no "obliteration".

Anyway back to batman.

I think you may have to visit the NPD archive thread where PS4 won 9 months in a row after Holiday 2013 and through 2014, and is on course to do the same thing again this year.

Just like how the Xbox One has games "in that part" of this year, eh?

Uh no see I know some people aren't paying attention to anything but QB plus other big games unannounced will be in those quarters.

But you can all believe what you want despite MS clearly moving games to 2016 and saying they are moving games to 2016.

Uh no see I know some people aren't paying attention to anything but QB plus other big games unannounced will be in those quarters.

But you can all believe what you want despite MS clearly moving games to 2016 and saying they are moving games to 2016.

Assumptions.

Until games are announced, they don't exist.

QB sure.

But unannounced games are nothing more than your speculation/assumption.

No it's not, from MS own mouths they are moving "games" to 2016 because this year is "packed".

I think you may have to visit the NPD archive thread where PS4 won 9 months in a row after Holiday 2013 and through 2014, and is on course to do the same thing again this year.

They didn't have games in the first part of the year TF excluded din't they? They will now.

Just like how the Xbox One has games "in that part" of this year, eh?

What was the best PS4 deal you remember? Was it better than console + three games from $349?

It was PSN+ PS4 $350, 2 free games. There were also retailers doing Knack, Killzone, infamous bundles.

But again this is a pointless conversation since it seems everybody saw something different so there's no point in back and forth.

Fat4all

Banned
Oh, haven't done my prediction yet (first timer here).

[3DS] 140k
[PS4] 190k
[WIU] 38k
[XB1] 130k

I might be low balling the XB1 numbers a little, but I dunno if they're gonna sell much more than they did last year. No big market games and not a bunch of advertising in general.

TomShoe

Banned
No it's not, from MS own mouths they are moving "games" to 2016 because this year is "packed".

A source would be nice.

Except the terms "Holiday" and "packed".

Anyway I am done with this conversation, there's clearly a slant here on one side of this conversation and I don't get into those.

You're making assumptions contrary to public opinion and then backing off when someone asks where you're getting all this from.

Chobel

I could literally walk down the Street in December, get a PS4 for $350 with a Gift card, and a free game, sometimes 2 free games.
Sometimes I would get PSN+ free with the purchase of a PS4 and one game, which also came with a free game.
So I guess it just depends where you looked (Not all retailers had 2 free games and gift cards for Xbox one purchases (outside black friday), during those months, it was mostly target leading that anyway. Bestbuy occasionally had gift card deals but that wasn't much of a thin after November.)

Definitely just your local area or maybe it's only that particular store, because most other places in US didn't have these deals.

Best actually had an Amazing deal for XB1: ACU bundle+ Destiny+ $50. and that was globally nationwide.

And we have a name for one, which is called Quantum Break.

Moving games to 2016 could be anywhere from Winter to Spring to Summer.

Except the terms "Holiday" and "packed".

Anyway I am done with this conversation, there's clearly a slant here on one side of this conversation and I don't get into those.

Fat4all

Banned

You've accidentally double quoted me, careful as mods might consider it spam.

I have faith in Quantum Break, and I love Remedy, but as it stands that is their one big 2016 title at the moment, and it wouldn't be surprising to see it pushed back to the holidays (or delayed, Remedy is know for their long delays after Alan Wake).

That would leave the Xbox One spring lineup as barren as it is this spring.

Definitely just your local area or maybe it's only that particular store, because most other places in US didn't have these deals.

Best actually had an Amazing deal for XB1: ACU bundle+ Destiny+ $50. and that was globally.

More than one store.

Also you mean nationwide not globally right? lol.

Anyway what's the ratio for the last batman games for ps3/360?

I have faith in Quantum Break, and I love Remedy, but as it stands that is their one big 2016 title at the moment, and it wouldn't be surprising to see it pushed back to the holidays (or delayed, Remedy is know for their long delays after Alan Wake).

My bad, I'm sure they'll notice it was an accident.

I'm not sure, about QB delayed more, I guess it depends on how honest the original 2015 date was before they pushed it back. if so, then it should already be ready or not have long to go. But we'll find out next year so let's wait till then.

Still it's only your local area, and yeah nationwide.

It's bigger than you imply, but you seem to be overchocked about this for reason I don't understand.

How about we talk about Apri/May NPD instead by wondering what the ratio of the last few batman games are? :)

TomShoe

Banned

Tbh, who knows with Remedy at this point. The TV show might be holding things up, I have no idea how making that impacts game development.

Fat4all

Banned
Tbh, who knows with Remedy at this point. The TV show might be holding things up, I have no idea how making that impacts game development.

I doubt that would give them too much trouble, they love their live-action shots in games and always seem to nail them.

I really liked the cut-ins and TV show stuff from Alan Wake, and you could tell from the directors commentary that they loved making it.

Evolve didn't chart in February and Pre-orders died after mid January, was number 2 in NPD. Amazon doesn't actually work for anything.

We know that BB flew through their initial pre-order allotment too. And console charting is a lot more reliable on Amazon than game charting. They've successfully predicted every month of NPD for current gen.

1.5 million on NPD October, Arkham City, 360 SKU > PS3 SKU.

Ratio unknown unless someone's willing to open up ancient NPD archives back from 2011.

Odd we don't have Asylum and Origin numbers.

Anyway I think this shows that it's kind of crazy to think BAK will somehow make an 100k+ gap from Xbox one and reach over 300k. The 360 version is the higher selling SKU of the last popular Batman.

It'll still sell of course and probably do better than the Witcher in terms of console marketing

Anybody even see Xbox commercials for the witcher 3 anywhere?

The 360 version is the higher selling SKU of the last popular Batman.

360 install base is significantly larger than PS3 install base in US at time of Arkham City's release.

Situation is different now. PS4 has the larger install base.

And in terms of crazy, I would had said it was crazy that a FPS made by Bungie would propel PS4 sales so high over the XB1, especially when XB1 had a special free-game offer on the week of Destiny's release, but it did.

Chobel

It's bigger than you imply, but you seem to be overchocked about this for reason I don't understand.

How about we talk about Apri/May NPD instead by wondering what the ratio of the last few batman games are? :)

I'm not shocked or anything, I'm just challenging your idea that PS4 had better deals than XB1.

Anyway: First month of Asylum
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 290,000

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

360 install base is significantly larger than PS3 install base in US at time of Arkham City's release.

Situation is different now. PS4 has the larger install base.

And in terms of crazy, I would had said it was crazy that a FPS made by Bungie would propel PS4 sales so high over the XB1, especially when XB1 had a special free-game offer on the week of Destiny's release, but it did.

Yes, however like COD, batman was more popular on the 360, so sales probably won't be far apart at all for Batman, especially since the gap in install base is less than 1 million.

Look at Call of Duty Pre-orders. I am almost certain in NPD BLack Ops III will sell more on Xbox One or be very close. If I recall, even Destiny's LTD between PS and Xbox in NA is close. (correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm not shocked or anything, I'm just challenging your idea that PS4 had better deals than XB1.

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

It was that close?

Those marketing deals, damn you.

Stanng243

Odd we don't have Asylum and Origin numbers.

Anyway I think this shows that it's kind of crazy to think BAK will somehow make an 100k+ gap from Xbox one and reach over 300k. The 360 version is the higher selling SKU of the last popular Batman.

It'll still sell of course and probably do better than the Witcher in terms of console marketing

Anybody even see Xbox commercials for the witcher 3 anywhere?

The special edition Batman console is more expensive then the normal console, and sold out in 2 days at least one bestbuy. And people still come in and ask to preorder it. Its also the last game in a cycle, and given historical context, will run better on PS4 then Xbox one. It also has timed exclusive content for the PS4. The original TV Batsuit alone is a great get to my comic friends.

2thepoint

There hasn't event been gameplay of the Xbox One version yet.

Also, the PS4 has a larger install base than the Xbox One, as well as a Batman PS4 bundle. Batman will sell better on PS4 for sure.

How is this even possible when Microsoft has the marketing rights?

May is going to be an exciting month indeed. However will save that until after April.

Yes, however like COD, batman was more popular on the 360, so sales probably won't be far apart at all for Batman, especially since the gap in install base is less than 1 million.

Look at Call of Duty Pre-orders. I am almost certain in NPD BLack Ops III will sell more on Xbox One or be very close. If I recall, even Destiny's LTD between PS and Xbox in NA is close. (correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Assassin's Creed franchise, a franchise that did better on 360 for the US market, despite all the Playstation marketing.

During the launch, the ratio split between PS4:XB1 for Black Flag was around 70:30.

Fat4all

Banned
It was that close?

Those marketing deals, damn you.

Oh man, Sony's marketing push was so heavy, the thirst was REAL.

I was so annoyed when the trailers came on talking about "play as the Joker". I only had a 360 at the time and REALLY wanted to play the Joker challenge maps :(

panda-zebra

Almost looks like you're carrying on in this thread where Malitik Sabu left off in the March results thread...

Well yeah, if you ignore all the bundled copies... maybe...

Assassin's Creed franchise, a franchise that did better on 360 for the US market, despite all the Playstation marketing.

During the launch, the ratio split between PS4:XB1 for Black Flag was around 70:30.

I heard the majority of AC games sold better on the PS3, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you aren't actually countering my point you're proving it. Regardless the game that usually sells better on the other console will either sell more or the gap won't be wide to that console.

Chobel

I heard the majority of AC games sold better on the PS3, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you aren't actually countering my point you're proving it. Regardless the game that usually sells better on the other console will either sell more or the gap won't be wide to that console.

Not in US.

We're in an NPD thread, talking US numbers.

With the exception of Final Fantasy, there is practically (literally) no multi-platform franchise that sold better on PS3 compared to 360. The difference in install base is too wide.

And in what world is a 70:30 ratio in favour of PS4 to XB1 not wide? Especially since it's during launch, where the difference of install base was negligible.

Purest 78

The special edition Batman console is more earesive then the normal console, and sold out in 2 days at least one bestbuy. And people still come in and ask to preorder it. Its also the last game in a cycle, and given historical context, will run better on PS4 then Xbox one. It also has timed exclusive content for the PS4. The original TV Batsuit alone is a great get to my comic friends.

The bundle also sold out at amazon In a couple days. Although Recently sony must have allotted more units It's back in stock now. People questioning how big this bundle will be are in for a shock.

TomShoe

Banned
How is this even possible when Microsoft has the marketing rights?

CDPR Probably wants to show off the most stable versions of the game, which are the PS4 & PC versions. PC is the lead platform, and the PS4 is easier to develop for than its counterpart, which makes it the default version to show off between consoles.

Chobel

Anyway we are way off topic here almost beyond repair so let's go back for a second.

How well do people think Mortal Kombat will do?

More than 1 million is pretty much guaranteed, MKX had the biggest launch for MK franchise and we know the last one did +1 million in its US launch.

We're in an NPD thread, talking US numbers.

With the exception of Final Fantasy, there is practically (literally) no multi-platform franchise that sold better on PS3 compared to 360. The difference in install base is too wide.

And in what world is a 70:30 ratio in favour of PS4 to XB1 not wide? Especially since it's during launch, where the difference of install base was negligible.

There's another one, Mortal Kombat (2011)

RexNovis

Banned
So I see we have another new member making baseless claims and then brushing it all off with "I'm done with this conversation" instead of corroborating their claims when people actually confront and dispute the info. Its funny how these guys keep surreptitiously popping up un the months leading up to E3. It's good to see somethings never change.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Limited Edition Batman console had been selling EXTREMELY well going by preorders alone. We have insiders saying as much and telling us how their preorders sold out within two days of being announced. Now what we don't know is how much of these consoles Sony is planning to produce. Is it going to be truly limited or will it be as readily available as the previous 3rd party limited SKU (Destiny)? For that reason it's difficult to predict how much the batman SKU will sell but we can say fairly confidently thanks to insiders and market trends that if it doesn't set the charts on fire it will not be due to lack of demand.

The XB1 holiday deals were INSANE often including drops to $329 along with multiple free games and gift or XBL cards. They also lasted the entire holiday season. The only PS4 deals that saw the bundle drop below MSRP were Black Friday deals that lasted 1 week and a very short online eBay retailer promotion that saw the PS4 sold for $350 standalone and sold out within 8 hours. That's factual and unless you can actually provide evidence to corroborate your assertions that other deals existed for PS4 below MSRP outside of the Black Friday specials at this point despite nobody else ever hearing of them then it would behoove you to avoid making statements you can't prove going forward.

It's also quite the jump to conclude that XB1 will see regular software support throughout the year in 2016 based off a vague PR tweet saying "oh my god guys we have so many games this year you just wouldn't believe it! So many we had to push some back." We know a few things about MS this gen in regards to this conclusion:

1. Both years that the XB1 has been in the market saw MS stuffing the holiday season with releases leaving the rest of the year with meager support. At this point it's basically been their strategy to maintain relevance in their major markets by capitalizing on the mostly budget minded less informed consumer mass that makes large purchases during that particular season. It's both a core strategy and historical precedent at this point.

2. MS has developed a reputation for talking a big game and not following through when it comes to satiating their fan base so far this gen. Between heavy spin to paint a brighter picture of the consoles sales (one which consequently you seem to have bought hook line and sinker) and the assurances that are passed around like candy on Twitter with a stunningly poor record of follow up its really hard to see how anyone could take such a vague tweet and extrapolate something so specific as "we totally gave games releasing throughout the year next year" let alone trust them to stand by it.

So yea it's quite the logical leap you've espoused with such certainty here in this thread in regards to software support in 2016.

And no, for the record, you don't get to just declare discussion over after making what many see as outrageous claims and then ignoring anyone who challenged your assumptions or asks for evidence to back them up. That's not how things work here. Either you can thoroughly explain your evidence and thought process behind those claims or you can admit to being unrealistically optimistic or genuinely gullible.

Fat4all

Banned
More than 1 million is pretty much guaranteed, MKX had the biggest launch for MK franchise

And well deserved, too! Me and my friends are having tons of fun with MKX.

I have a friend that hates everything to do with any MK after 3 and before 9, so seeing all the PS2 terri-bad characters get the spotlight and awesome cameos in the game made his tears DELICIOUS!

Stanng243

The bundle also sold out at amazon In a couple days. Although Recently sony must have allotted more units It's back in stock now. People questioning how big this bundle will be are in for a shock.

I'm one of the guilty ones. I preordered the bundle just because it was so damn cool. Haven't decided if I should keep that preorder though.

TomShoe

Banned

I await his response. I knew a lot of his claims didn't hold weight (especially with no given sources and basing much of the games lineup assumption off a tweet), but didn't bother calling him out on it since we're changing topics so quickly.

waiting.gif

It's already established they were local deals rex, nothing else to say. I'll admit I was wrong in thinking my local deals were nationwide but that's pretty much the whole conversation regarding that, nothing else to say.

Also gullible or not I believe they will have games for 2016, especially QB, which was a 2015 game, pushed to 2016. I may be crazy but I'm allowed to be crazy lol.

More than 1 million is pretty much guaranteed, MKX had the biggest launch for MK franchise and we know the last one did +1 million in its US launch.

My question is will it be number one this month or will Madden or Hardline etc. Still be number one?

And well deserved, too! Me and my friends are having tons of fun with MKX.

I have a friend that hates everything to do with any MK after 3 and before 9, so seeing all the PS2 terri-bad characters get the spotlight and awesome cameos in the game made his tears DELICIOUS!

My only issue with MKX is the damn story is too damn short. Things were picking up quite a bit, then that last few battles were a little lame.

Top Bottom