• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes May 12th

PC is always very heavily slanted toward digital purchases and NPD only tracks retail. It will have an impact but it should be a very muted one.

If we're talking about any average game, sure.

But it's GTA. I don't know about charting second, but I'm somewhat confident it'll be top 5.

PC is always very heavily slanted toward digital purchases and NPD only tracks retail. It will have an impact but it should be a very muted one.

Yeah but GTA V is going to be one of those few PC games in NA where the retail version actually sells a bit. It won't win the month, but it may take number 3 after MK and Hardline. (Combined with the XB and PS sku's of course.)

RexNovis

Banned
If we're talking about any average game, sure.

But it's GTA. I don't know about charting second, but I'm somewhat confident it'll be top 5.

Oh yeah for sure I was just saying that the PC release will likely have very little effect on total NPD sales. Of course it will chart highly anyway.

cakely

For those that are thinking that the Batman Arkham Knight PS4 bundle won't significantly boost PS4 sales in June:

The bundle has already charted on Amazon monthly rankings, twice:

500GB PlayStation 4 Batman Arkham Knight Bundle Limited Edition

March 2015: #69
April 2015: #96

June sales will reflect three months of pre-orders, plus whatever people buy in June. I don't think the effect will be as high as the Destiny effect was, but 350k sales in a 5-week month doesn't seem unreasonable.

For those that are thinking that the Batman Arkham Knight PS4 bundle won't significantly boost PS4 sales in June:

June sales will reflect three months of pre-orders, plus whatever people buy in June. I don't think the effect will be as high as the Destiny effect was, but 350k sales in a 5-week month doesn't seem unreasonable.

Keep in mind it was not available for pre-order a good part of April. It seems to have been back in stock over the past week or so according to Wario64.

1MVJRg6.png

Looks like it went out of stock April 10th as it steadily fell in the rankings, since other things were passing up its constant value.

To me, it largely depends on the availability of the limited edition bundle. If it's as readily available as the Destiny white PS4 bundle, then there is a very good chance for the PS4 to eclipse 350K sales in June.

To me, it largely depends on the availability of the limited edition bundle. If it's as readily available as the Destiny white PS4 bundle, then there is a very good chance for the PS4 to eclipse 350K sales in June.

Don't forget even if the limited edition bundle runs out, there is still the black batman bundle that gives you the game for free.

So yeah, June might pull Destiny numbers considering the batman bundles and summer games for PS4 start releasing.

P.S: Batman Silver Bundle just ran out on Amazon again, people really must want it.

Don't forget even if the limited edition bundle runs out, there is still the black batman bundle that gives you the game for free.

So yeah, June might pull Destiny numbers considering the batman bundles and summer games for PS4 start releasing.

P.S: Batman Silver Bundle just ran out on Amazon again, people really must want it.

Batman isn't even close to big enough to reach similar numbers to September.

At 1.5 mil, Batman : Arkham City sales were about 70% of Destiny's. (aka the game that made September 2014)

Considering the hype for Arkham Knight, and that it's the finale of the Arkham Trilogy, the expectations are that Knight will do better than City.

Let's be pessimistic, and say Arkham Knight sells 1.8 million in June. That's 86% of Destiny's sales.

With a hypothetical difference of only 15% in sales, I wouldn't call Batman 'isn't even big enough.'

At 1.5 mil, Batman : Arkham City sales were about 70% of Destiny's. (aka the game that made September 2014)

Considering the hype for Arkham Knight, and that it's the finale of the Arkham Trilogy, the expectations are that Knight will do better than City.

Let's be pessimistic, and say Arkham Knight sells 1.8 million in June. That's 86% of Destiny's sales.

With a hypothetical difference of only 15% in sales, I wouldn't call Batman 'isn't even big enough.'

I'm saying big enough specifically to break trends for June and do Destiny September number, in June.

Don't forget June is also E3, that and Destiny was right next to the holiday season. Batman will be in a slow month and will also be sold during E3, which people will buy or pre-order certain things based on what's announced there as well.

There was a deal if you pre ordered it. I think it was the equivalent of $50 off.

Huh, I thought that was the default Sku there?

A better example would be the White MCC bundle for Xbox One in Japan.

Console color definitely has an impact.

Wasn't there also a white XB1 Sunset Overdrive bundle last holiday season? I remember people saying that it was very limited, but it sold out pretty quickly.

Good point.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeap... PS4 June will be big due Batman.

I expect September to be big too with MGS and Destiny 2.0 (retail release and DLC upgrade).

On Demand

Banned
Please remember Batman AK is next gen exclusive. Alot of PS3 owners will be buying both Batman bundles. The silver console will also be selling to new and current PS4 owners.

Looking forward to batman gifs.
I agree it will be huge. This gen only is a good point. Maybe for many fans this is the moment to make the step.

RexNovis

Banned
Well, it's a given that the PS4 will be the Battest console.

B2sNrSX.gif

Bahahaha yes! I just saw this commercial on TV in Japan the other day. It had me rolling with laughter.

But yeah we can state fairly confidently Batman is going to push some solid numbers with bundles. No idea if it will be Destiny big though: feasible but unlikely in a slower summer month. The determining factor will be bundle availability IMHO

Fat4all

Banned
Looking forward to batman gifs.
I agree it will be huge. This gen only is a good point. Maybe for many fans this is the moment to make the step.

batman-and-robin-enjoying-music-batmobile.gif

The domination of Batman will be epic.

Bahahaha yes! I just saw this commercial on TV in Japan the other day. It had me rolling with laughter.

But yeah we can state fairly confidently Batman is going to push some solid numbers with bundles. No idea if it will be Destiny big though: feasible but unlikely in a slower summer month. The determining factor will be bundle availability IMHO

Pack in bundles don't count towards NPD software numbers, do they? We'll have to hope for a separate announcement of how many Batman bundles were sold and then add that to Batman's numbers to get a full picture of how well it sells.

Pack in bundles don't count towards NPD software numbers, do they? We'll have to hope for a separate announcement of how many Batman bundles were sold and then add that to Batman's numbers to get a full picture of how well it sells.

The hardware Sku's count though.

Moneal

batman-and-robin-enjoying-music-batmobile.gif

The domination of Batman will be epic.

Cream usually gives major bundle numbers or atleast clues.

*Sigh* Do you think it will do at least a 1/3 of Destiny's bundle numbers? That is all it needs to do to push the PS4 into the 350K range for June. The Destiny bundle did OVER 300K by itself, but the PS4 number was 530K. How? Because the other 230K were just regular PS4s. People are not predicting the Batman bundle will do 350K by itself; it only needs to do a third of that to give PS4 a 350K June. That is not only possible, but the word from our retailers (guys and gals with actual information on this info) say that it is likely. Do you kind of understand us now?

Javin98

Banned
I'm saying big enough specifically to break trends for June and do Destiny September number, in June.

Don't forget June is also E3, that and Destiny was right next to the holiday season. Batman will be in a slow month and will also be sold during E3, which people will buy or pre-order certain things based on what's announced there as well.

Huh, I thought that was the default Sku there?
Again you're making your assumptions seem like facts. And the worse thing is your assumptions aren't in line with what is going on in retail. We already had info from fellow Gaffers who actually work in retail that the limited Batman Arkham Knight bundle is getting a ton of pre orders. And let's not forget that there is a standard bundle coming out in June as well which literally gives away the game for free. The PS4 should have no problems selling at least 350K in June. I don't mean to be pointing fingers, but your posts in this thread and username lead me to believe that you're slightly slanted towards the XBox One. Please prove me wrong.

Again you're making your assumptions seem like facts. And the worse thing is your assumptions aren't in line with what is going on in retail. We already had info from fellow Gaffers who actually work in retail that the limited Batman Arkham Knight bundle is getting a ton of pre orders. And let's not forget that there is a standard bundle coming out in June as well which literally gives away the game for free. The PS4 should have no problems selling at least 350K in June. I don't mean to be pointing fingers, but your posts in this thread and username lead me to believe that you're slightly slanted towards the XBox One. Please prove me wrong.

Exactly. Always keep in mind that every single pre-order, no matter how soon it is made, will be counted on the release date.

Top Bottom