• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aragami - Cel shaded indie Tenchu, control the shadows on PC/PS4, releasing Oct 4th

Hey everyone! Thanks a lot for the feedback. I've gathered more than 100 answers from Twitter, Facebook and other sources, and it looks like number 3 is by far the most voted option. As Xander said, people argue that the blood splash is sort of a cliche with stealth games, and the 3rd option is cleaner and has more charisma than the rest. We'll iterate a bit on num 3 to improve the readability of the subtitle.

In other news, we are adding story elements to the first level and improving the 'tutorial'. The 3rd level is almost finished and I think we will be showing it on our next dev log this month.

I'm also attending the GDC next month to look for a publisher.. it's quite scary to be 7 days alone in a city I don't know and with no familiar faces around, but it's our best chance to find funds. Wish me luck!

Some new screenshots featuring Yamiko, the other 'twin souls' in the game. She summons you from the dead and guides you through your journey.

And also some new concept art with the final logo!

jpax

How difficult would it be to implement a combat system like the one found in mark of the ninja? You can fight but you only do it because you fucked up. Or implement an alarm system like in shadow of mordor so that if you are fighting you need to be quick or get swarmed.

That looks really cool. Is there any video?

This is the latest dev log. We'll be uploading another one with more gameplay next week.

How difficult would it be to implement a combat system like the one found in mark of the ninja? You can fight but you only do it because you fucked up. Or implement an alarm system like in shadow of mordor so that if you are fighting you need to be quick or get swarmed.

It's much more difficult to do combat in 3D than in 2D. Even if we invested 1 or 2 months to code a combat system like the one in Dark Souls or Zelda, it wouldn't be perfect nor fun, and it wouldn't really add to the experience; that's why we decided to invest efforts into stealth systems and other ways to interact with your enemies.

jpax

It's much more difficult to do combat in 3D than in 2D. Even if we invested 1 or 2 months to code a combat system like the one in Dark Souls or Zelda, it wouldn't be perfect nor fun, and it wouldn't really add to the experience; that's why we decided to invest efforts into stealth systems and other ways to interact with your enemies.

So what happens instead of combat?

First I've heard of this, and it looks brilliant! Between this and Volume it looks like I'm getting my stealth itch thoroughly scratched this year!

Have you thought of doing the Kickstarter again (can you do that?) or doing an IndieGogo? The post-mortem on your website tells you guys would have a lot better chances this time around.

So what happens instead of combat?

Have you played in Shadow of Mordor against an enemy inmune to stealth? Well, something simmilar. If an enemy is aware of your presence he can cast a light spell to knock you back when you try to stealth kill him. If you get noticed you must try to outsmart them and kill them from unsuspected angles, or use different skills like traps or stuns to gain a temporary advantage and kill them.

Have you thought of doing the Kickstarter again (can you do that?) or doing an IndieGogo? The post-mortem on your website tells you guys would have a lot better chances this time around.

It's one possibility. We are going to the GDC next week to try and negotiate with different publishers interested in the game. Depending on how that goes we might think about another Kickstarter campaign.

Anyway, if the money is not a concern (we can still run for 4 months or so..) we prefer to first focus on the game before trying anything that might make us compromise to a release date etc.

It looks pretty damn sweet. The some of the animations (such as the back stab), needs more impact though, as it just looks really soft as it is right now and not deadly at all. Needs more weight and force. Really slick visual style though. I'm definitely interested.

jpax

Have you played in Shadow of Mordor against an enemy inmune to stealth? Well, something simmilar. If an enemy is aware of your presence he can cast a light spell to knock you back when you try to stealth kill him. If you get noticed you must try to outsmart them and kill them from unsuspected angles, or use different skills like traps or stuns to gain a temporary advantage and kill them.

Sounds like a good enough solution. Thank you for answering. Will you do a demo? Maybe your compete third level?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Looks as though it's coming along nicely. Being able to read your visibility level from your cape is a brilliant idea and those mocap deaths look visceral! I really can't wait to play it.

:edit:

Good luck on the publisher hunt!

I have to say, there doesn't appear to be much verticality in that video, but all in all it looks superb.

The gameplay shown belongs to the first level, which acts as a tutorial. It's the only level with a more 'tunnel' approach, in order to teach the player the main mechanics. The following levels are much more open.

Hey there!

It's been a while since I posted some new stuff.. I went to the GDC and met some interesting publishers. Things look quite well and we are currently in negotiations.

Anyway, here's some new screenshots and a new dev log video focusing on the audio and music!

That art style is so good. The new screenshots look great. Need to check out the video later

Nice to hear publisher negotiations are going well. Hope it works out for you

Just noticed that the title screen of the dev log video has updated art. Do you have a full size version?

Like this one
fj8Z5MY.jpg

Coen

Man, I'm sorry, hadn't heard of this before but it looks very promising. I really need to find a platform to keep me posted on all interesting Indies. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot.

We are introducing the new Shadow Powers with concept art. They will be unlockable as you progress through the game. Here are the Monday and Tuesday powers :)

Shinen - A 'C4' mechanic. You can place traps on a surface or even on an enemy's back and trigger it later creating a black hole.

Sakkaku - A 'decoy' mechanic. Summon a Shadow Clone to distract your target and sneak behind or attract it somewhere.

Kurai - Stun enemies in front of you. Like a 'Shadow Sand Attack' :)

Kage - Use darkness as a cloak to stay invisible for a brief amount of time.

Karasu - Summon your pet raven to give you the location of nearby enemies.

Kunai - A 'snipe/long range' attack to bring down targets from a distance.

First one is some kind of shadow whip blade?
Not sure what the second one is
Third lets you scout the area?
And fourth is some kind of ranged attack?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Glad this is still being worked one, will get it day 1 for sure if only for the great art.
Of course all the shadow power stuff sounds really cool as well.

Sakujou

Banned
this is not cel-shading.

cel-shading is the naruto games/the early dbz-games, XIII, jet set radio.

wind waker and this game, which a lot of people also call cel-shading is a mix in between.

this is not cel-shading.

cel-shading is the naruto games/the early dbz-games, XIII, jet set radio.

wind waker and this game, which a lot of people also call cel-shading is a mix in between.

Technically, it IS cel shading. Cel shading is just the simulation of a 'toon style' of lightning by adjusting the light equation. We add effects like specular, reflections and other stuff, but the basic lighting is cel shading by definition.

Top Bottom