• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

I've given blood 49 times, and I am excited to finally get my fancy pin that says '50' on it.

I have not done marrow or platelets though, I probably should one day.

SpecX

Hello there, I've never seen this thread before, but I'm proud to say that I did a Bone Marrow Donation about a month ago.

To those curious about the experience, I was on a Bone Marrow Match Registry where you can get matched with someone in need.

This was the bone extracting type where a needle is inserted into the hip bone. I definitely was nervous about the whole thing, but in the end the experience was not too bad. I was but under anesthesia, and woke up after the deed had been done.

The aftermath was me having swelling in my lower back for roughly a week, but it wasn't anything close to searing pain, just a low amount in the swelling area that made it a little hard to sleep. I didn't even feel the need to take the pain medication, I used it only once.

All in all, I think its an important type of donation, one that I decided to do while young and able. I haven't heard on my donation recipients progress (the match registry keeps that information private until a month-ish after), I do hope he's okay.

Just know its a commitment to do something like that, my recipient has cancer so chemotherapy is administrated a week before, killing a lot of cells, quitting close to the day would mean certain death to the patient.

Donation is not for everyone, but to those who can you might save a life :)

PS: I was a part of the Be The Match Registry :bethematch.org

Interesting, what are the chances of getting selected and are there any risks? I try to give blood as much as I can and thinking about becoming an organ donor. This is yet another way for me to help and wouldn't mind if the pros outweigh the cons for me (I know it's for a good cause but still).

Used to give blood every 58 days, but the Red Cross doesn't let me anymore because I carry the gene for hemochromatosis, and most other blood donation services follow the lead of the Red Cross (I think all do with this). It's BS in my mind, but it's the rules. I am an organ donor though.

Incoming dumb question: Can they give me any kind of sedative? Doesn't even have to knock me out completely, just make me not care or aware of the needle? I know they have them for dentists now and a dental cleaning doesn't take much longer.

I've never heard of anyone being sedated for blood donation. I just did a quick google search and can't find any cases where that has been done. It might be worth a quick call to your local blood bank to check with them if you have the time to spare. Sorry I don't have a more positive answer!

Hello there, I've never seen this thread before, but I'm proud to say that I did a Bone Marrow Donation about a month ago.

To those curious about the experience, I was on a Bone Marrow Match Registry where you can get matched with someone in need.

This was the bone extracting type where a needle is inserted into the hip bone. I definitely was nervous about the whole thing, but in the end the experience was not too bad. I was but under anesthesia, and woke up after the deed had been done.

The aftermath was me having swelling in my lower back for roughly a week, but it wasn't anything close to searing pain, just a low amount in the swelling area that made it a little hard to sleep. I didn't even feel the need to take the pain medication, I used it only once.

All in all, I think its an important type of donation, one that I decided to do while young and able. I haven't heard on my donation recipients progress (the match registry keeps that information private until a month-ish after), I do hope he's okay.

Just know its a commitment to do something like that, my recipient has cancer so chemotherapy is administrated a week before, killing a lot of cells, quitting close to the day would mean certain death to the patient.

Donation is not for everyone, but to those who can you might save a life :)

PS: I was a part of the Be The Match Registry :bethematch.org

That's awesome. You've done a very good thing for that cancer patient. I've been signed up at BeTheMatch for about 5 years now and haven't been called to donate. I'm a white male, however, so I think there's an overabundance of white males in their database. I always hear that they truly need many more minorities to sign up for bone marrow donation at this point in time.

Yes. I give blood every few months because they want me to wait that long -- has to do with what I'm giving, I think? I routinely give what they need the most, and it takes about an hour to do on the bus. I'm also set to be an organ donor, but good luck getting this liver, the vodka will fight you for it.

woodchuck

Used to give blood every 58 days, but the Red Cross doesn't let me anymore because I carry the gene for hemochromatosis, and most other blood donation services follow the lead of the Red Cross (I think all do with this). It's BS in my mind, but it's the rules. I am an organ donor though.

If you have hereditary hemochromatosis, blood centers can still collect your blood and use it for allogeneic transfusion as long as they have an FDA variance and you meet all the other requirements.

Also, highly encourage everyone to sign up at bethematch.org. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of waiting for the cheek swabs to be mailed in, there are plenty of drives where you can sign up in person. It's super easy and quick.

McBryBry

Blood: I can't. I pass out without fail, and frankly do not enjoy that enough to go again. Something to do with a low heart rate.

Marrow: Don't actually know anything about it.

Organ: I don't think I am, but I want to be. I just don't think about it when the time to register as one arises.

Blood, yes but infrequently. Why? Because they value my platelets and plasma more and I can do triple runs when I go in for Trima once a month.

Just passed the 100 platelet units donated last year.

Fades

Banned
No for blood as it is not legal for me to do so in Canada, because I am a sexually active gay male. I am not certain the requirements for bone marrow donation here, but I'd probably fall under a similar category for that. Yes to organ donation, though.

woodchuck

No for blood as it is not legal for me to do so in Canada, because I am a sexually active gay male. I am not certain the requirements for bone marrow donation here, but I'd probably fall under a similar category for that. Yes to organ donation, though.

In the US at least, sexually active gay men can donate bone marrow (unlike blood).

4:50? Did you just come of a run or something? :) Your heart must've been pumping hard.

Anyway, it's not really a race :), but I'll time myself for the first time. Next week will be 3 months since my last donation so it's time, I'll return with my time. (guessing around 10 minutes).

I'm mostly kidding about making it a race. Mainly just trying to use it as a silly reason to get people in that aren't already on their 8 week waiting period. I posted it to Facebook and got two people to go so I try where I can.

As for the speed I always bleed really quickly. I imagine I average right around five minutes across every time I've gone in. They tend to be surprised how quickly I finish. I drove to the site, was a walk-in so I had to sit for forty minutes, and when they checked I had 64 beats per minute and blood pressure of 108/82. So I'd say nothing remarkable there. I don't know what makes me a fast bleeder, honestly.

And for those that talk about bethematch.com, I'm still signed up. Been about 3.5 years now. Aside from being selected four days after first signing up but then being told the recipient had to decline despite being a match I continue to wait. But as another posted, I'm also a middle-aged white guy so I'm guessing there's more of us to pick from so a match isn't too likely. But I should update my contact info as I'm sure they have an old address and my backup number is an ex from back then. This is a good reminder.

1upsuper

I've got a severe pre-existing condition so I always assumed I couldn't donate blood or marrow, but I'm not actually sure. I'm an organ donor though.

Sch1sm

I'm a blood and bone marrow donor, not that I can donate blood until I'm 23 anyway because of my height/weight/age as is. Not an organ donor, mostly because I'm not sure about religious rulings on it - mostly hear that it's impermissible, but I've never bothered verifying.

Aske

I'm also Canadian. I grew up in the UK, so they don't want my blood in case I taint the supply (this happened in the UK - a few people were given vCJD due to tainted blood donations, so I totally get it); but bone marrow is all good. I'd bet you'll be okay. They'll send you cheeks swabs, you cover them in your sexy DNA, and then you're on the list. It's not likely you'll ever be called on, but there's always the chance that you'll be able to really help someone that no one else on the registry could.

RandomHopeInc - way to go! And thanks for posting. There's a lot of fear surrounding bone marrow transplants, and your account of the experience will hopefully help people realise it's not all that scary.

Paganmoon

I'm mostly kidding about making it a race. Mainly just trying to use it as a silly reason to get people in that aren't already on their 8 week waiting period. I posted it to Facebook and got two people to go so I try where I can.

As for the speed I always bleed really quickly. I imagine I average right around five minutes across every time I've gone in. They tend to be surprised how quickly I finish. I drove to the site, was a walk-in so I had to sit for forty minutes, and when they checked I had 64 beats per minute and blood pressure of 108/82. So I'd say nothing remarkable there. I don't know what makes me a fast bleeder, honestly.

And for those that talk about bethematch.com, I'm still signed up. Been about 3.5 years now. Aside from being selected four days after first signing up but then being told the recipient had to decline despite being a match I continue to wait. But as another posted, I'm also a middle-aged white guy so I'm guessing there's more of us to pick from so a match isn't too likely. But I should update my contact info as I'm sure they have an old address and my backup number is an ex from back then. This is a good reminder.

Maybe you have really large veins? :) They sometimes have to try a few times to get the vein right on my right arm, no one has as yet to find a superficial vein on my left arm, and many have tried.

So you guys have an 8 week wait? Here in Sweden it's 3 months for men and 4 months for women, this due to not wanting to depleete your Hemoglobin values.
Actually got denied giving blood last summer due to my Hb value being too low, had to wait another 3 months for the values to get back into acceptable values.

Maybe you have really large veins? :) They sometimes have to try a few times to get the vein right on my right arm, no one has as yet to find a superficial vein on my left arm, and many have tried.

So you guys have an 8 week wait? Here in Sweden it's 3 months for men and 4 months for women, this due to not wanting to depleete your Hemoglobin values.
Actually got denied giving blood last summer due to my Hb value being too low, had to wait another 3 months for the values to get back into acceptable values.

Both my arms have veins they love. They always ooh and aah when it comes time to pick a vein as it's a blood buffet for them. I'm of fairly average build so it's just naturally occurring for me. They tend to pick my left arm but I've had occasions where the person prefers the right after looking at both. It's all the same to me.

How much do they take per donation in Sweden? In the US a unit is 500 ml. There's the option to do a double unit, which I'm assuming is literal in that they take 1,000 ml. So perhaps they take something like that in Sweden which is why they require more time between donations? A double red donation in the US requires 16 weeks after to donate again. The American Red Cross site says it only takes 4-6 weeks to replenish after a donation so having to wait a minimum of 3 months seems fairly long.

Platelets can be donated much more frequently and can be done during the wait period after a whole blood donation. Not sure what options you have in Sweden for that but if you don't mind taking a bit more time and you want to donate more I'd suggest checking that out. I used to do that roughly every two weeks for a while.

Edit: I see the Red Cross website suggests that if you start donating platelets to stick to that instead of doing platelets and whole blood. The folks when I donate always suggest doing both so perhaps just check with whoever you donate through on their suggestion here.

Paganmoon

Both my arms have veins they love. They always ooh and aah when it comes time to pick a vein as it's a blood buffet for them. I'm of fairly average build so it's just naturally occurring for me. They tend to pick my left arm but I've had occasions where the person prefers the right after looking at both. It's all the same to me.

How much do they take per donation in Sweden? In the US a unit is 500 ml. There's the option to do a double unit, which I'm assuming is literal in that they take 1,000 ml. So perhaps they take something like that in Sweden which is why they require more time between donations? A double red donation in the US requires 16 weeks after to donate again. The American Red Cross site says it only takes 4-6 weeks to replenish after a donation so having to wait a minimum of 3 months seems fairly long.

Platelets can be donated much more frequently and can be done during the wait period after a whole blood donation. Not sure what options you have in Sweden for that but if you don't mind taking a bit more time and you want to donate more I'd suggest checking that out. I used to do that roughly every two weeks for a while.

Edit: I see the Red Cross website suggests that if you start donating platelets to stick to that instead of doing platelets and whole blood. The folks when I donate always suggest doing both so perhaps just check with whoever you donate through on their suggestion here.

It's 450ml here, I guess they're just really conservative with the amount taken and how often we can donate.

I've considered platelets, but only a few centers have the equipment for it, not sure my center has them. I'll ask about it next week, to see what they'd rather have from me.

I'm an organ donor but I've never given blood. I probably should especially if it turns out I have a rare blood type or something.

Organ donation should be opt-out not opt-in.

Blood: I can't. I pass out without fail, and frankly do not enjoy that enough to go again. Something to do with a low heart rate.

Marrow: Don't actually know anything about it.

Organ: I don't think I am, but I want to be. I just don't think about it when the time to register as one arises.

If you live in the US, it's very easy to sign-up to be an organ donor. Just visit this website and then select your state which will take you to another page to fill out your information.

I'm registered to be harvested and my family knows it. Also give blood regularly.

Did a stint as a first responder, that stuff is needed to save lives.

NEO0MJ

As a person suffering from sickle cell anemia my blood wouldn't be accepted even if I payed them due to the fact that it has poor quantities of nutrients and oxygen.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I have given blood, but I'm barely doing it anymore which makes me feel bad. It's just that the place I would have to do it at is really impractical in terms of opening hours and driving there/from. They only do it on one weekday every couple of weeks.

I'm registered as a bone marrow donor. That took some thought, but the thing with this one is that it is a) you're not too likely to ever get chosen and b) if you get chosen, there's a good chance you're literally saving someones life. Pretty convincing argument.

And I'm carrying an organ donor card saying they can take whatever. This one is the easiest. I'm not religious, believe in the afterlife or that there's any more to us than being a bunch of walking organic matter. The thought of my death being useful to someone else is soothing.

NEO0MJ

And I'm carrying an organ donor card saying they can take whatever. This one is the easiest. I'm not religious, believe in the afterlife or that there's any more to us than being a bunch of walking organic matter. The thought of my death being useful to someone else is soothing.

Why not have them sold to benefit your family or anything else that matters to you?

I'm not. I really should have done in the past and now it's too late because I'm on medication for life that most likely invalidates me as a donor due to the fact that it is literally poison...

Props to those that do, however!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
In Norway you can only donate blood if you have a regular sex partner, so I have done it when I am in a relationship, and stopped when i go out of one. But i agree its something everybody should do if they can considering there are big demands for it and it doesnt really hurt you or take much time.

Should I (or can I) donate blood if I've smoked weed within the past couple days?

Probably not, definitely not in Norway.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
What the...
Why?

Probably because they are afraid of getting blood that includes sexually transmittable diseases.

Edit: To clarify, the rule is you have to have not gotten a new partner in the last 6 months.

Paganmoon

What the...
Why?

If it's anything like Sweden, it's not really that you need to have a regular sexual partner, but that if you've recently had sex with a new partner, you are prohibited from donating for 3 months.

They screen your blood after every donation, but the 3 month block is cause sometimes new infections aren't detected in the screening (your blood hasn't created enough anti-bodies to be detected I think). Same reason there are blocks incase you've traveled to some countries or areas with malaria or other diseases.
In Sweden there are also blocks if you've gotten piercings or tatoos (6 months).

MsKrisp

I haven't donated blood in a while, but I've been dealing with several minor health issues so it hasn't seemed appropriate to donate when I'm having blood drawn for tests and whatnot. I used to do it somewhat regularly, and I used to donate platelets when I lived in CO and needed cash. I plan to go back regularly again once life settles a bit.

I've also donated bone marrow about 6 times, I was in a program that called me in on a regular basis. Sometimes it was a basic collection in a doctor's office, other times they needed a different sample so that involved getting all prepped and cleaned up like you're going in for surgery. If anyone is planning on donating I can give some advice on helping to minimize the pain. It's a weird feeling but if you go in well-hydrated it's not too bad and over pretty quickly. I'm not part of a registry because I understand you can only donate so many times in your lifetime (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I want to be sure I can donate if friends or family end up needing help and I'm a match.

Should I (or can I) donate blood if I've smoked weed within the past couple days?

You can, it's fine. I've donated lots of times and I've been a daily smoker for many years :p

SamVimes

I do donate blood as often as I can but it's hard and annoying because I live in a small town so you can't just go and donate. A sort of ambulance comes (I don't know its English name) once in a while and I usually have to wait for a few hours before donating. Last time they actually sent me away after an hour of waiting because there were too many people.

I'd definitely do it more regularly if it was more convenient.

Skab

I've given blood many times, and I'm a registered bone marrow doner but have never been called upon to donate.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Probably because they are afraid of getting blood that includes sexually transmittable diseases.

Edit: To clarify, the rule is you have to have not gotten a new partner in the last 6 months.
If it's anything like Sweden, it's not really that you need to have a regular sexual partner, but that if you've recently had sex with a new partner, you are prohibited from donating for 3 months.

They screen your blood after every donation, but the 3 month block is cause sometimes new infections aren't detected in the screening (your blood hasn't created enough anti-bodies to be detected I think). Same reason there are blocks incase you've traveled to some countries or areas with malaria or other diseases.
In Sweden there are also blocks if you've gotten piercings or tatoos (6 months).
Ok, that makes more sense. They ask you similar things when donating blood here, but I'm not actually sure what happens if they don't like the answers lol

Truth is, I don't know. But I thought there were legal ways to sell your organs?
Maybe I just watched too much TV.
After your death? I have not heard about that, no.

pieface

I'm an organ doner (at death) and a blood doner. Only just started giving blood, got my next appointment in a few months.

Really don't understand why more people don't do it.

Doc_Drop

I'm an organ donor upon death but I'll have to admit I don't donate blood. I'm not big on needles, but it's really due to me regularly smoking weed and occasionally other drugs so there often isn't a time when my blood has cleared

I would encourage everyone to be an organ donor, in the UK it's really easy and it can really help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom