• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I was sold on ARMS... but what the testpunch sold me on was Party Mode. I feel like I might usually stray from modes like that but the "room" is executed so well.

Anyone else feel similarly?
Love the lobby system but I don't like the mode switch so much. Just want to play normal 1v1. Ther other modes are mostly annoying.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Love the lobby system but I don't like the mode switch so much. Just want to play normal 1v1. Ther other modes are mostly annoying.

I feel like if private/friends lobbies could be publically shared it would be the best alternative. It'd also make party match largely redundant but that just seems kind of oorly thought out.

MTC100

Banned
I was sold on ARMS... but what the testpunch sold me on was Party Mode. I feel like I might usually stray from modes like that but the "room" is executed so well.

Anyone else feel similarly?

I don't know, I'd like a dedicated 1v1 room more but perhaps there is something like that in the final version. I know there is ranked mode but that isn't something I'd like to play all the time only to have a lot of 1v1s.

That said I don't really dislike most modes in party mode, 2v2 can be frustrating if you get a bad matchup and 3-v-all can be unfair 4-v-all quite chaotic but as long as the party mode doesn't prioritize on those modes I think it'll be fine.

Totakeke

I don't think a 1v1 only party match room is as good as it sounds as on paper. It's great if you're dominating, but if it's full of close matches or you're getting dominated instead, the pace is a bit too fast.

Shahadan

Dang, the usual supermarket here will be selling ARMS for 44€ but I have to get my ass there. If that wasn't E3 week it'd be easier to choose.

Peltz

I like most of party mode, but really struggled to get a feel for Volleyball. I just don't like the way the ball handles.

The motion controls are a nightmare, this game should have been Punch-Out

I thought so too at first, but they're actually very precise and well thought out. I control this game way better with motion controls than the Pro Controller.

There's definitely a learning curve and it helps to play the game seated rather than standing when using the motion controls. That's when it clicked for me and everything got super precise.

Renna Hazel

I only managed to play for two of the Testpunch rounds, but it was definitely enough to ease any concerns I had about the game. I didn't even get to try out all of the characters, so I'll have a lot to look forward to for the full version. Will be picking this one up day 1.

MTC100

Banned
Dang, the usual supermarket here will be selling ARMS for 44€ but I have to get my ass there. If that wasn't E3 week it'd be easier to choose.

That's quite cheap o_O

I'm still hanging to me 48 Euro preorder though, don't have to worry about anything besides the game will cost 59 Euro here in most places anyway.

The motion controls are a nightmare, this game should have been Punch-Out

I know right, I don't understand how people can prefer them over the Pro Controller but I guess to each their own.

KooopaKid

Banned
Quite happy with the hour I spent with demo.
The controls suit well, I shouldn't have doubted Nintendo here.
Not convinced on the depth here yet but the hour flew by so it's a very good sign.

iphys

Any way to get a discount on a digital preorder?

Otherwise it's amazon I guess...

5863 yen for a digital code from Amazon Japan. You just have to sign up for an account with a Japanese shipping address for them to sell you the digital code. Game plays in English as long as your system is set to it.

So, do people assume all games that involve some form of boxing to be the equivalent of each other? Punch-Out and ARMS have little in common outside of gameplay that involves punching. Punch-Out (which has an excellent 3D game with fun motion controls on the Wii, a fact I wonder if some people are aware of here) is a single player action puzzle boss fight game based on reading your opponents tells and knowing the specific move that avoids or counters. It's not really a fighting game as multiplayer against human opponents isn't a part of the experience. The existence of ARMS has no bearing on the future of Punch-Out. The games aren't even covered by the same development teams.

Parshias7

So, do people assume all games that involve some form of boxing to be the equivalent of each other?

A good portion of GAF takes the absolute surface level analysis on anything they see. Like how anything that involves combat against large beasts is "just like Monster Hunter!" to dumb people.

iphys

So, do people assume all games that involve some form of boxing to be the equivalent of each other? Punch-Out and ARMS have little in common outside of gameplay that involves punching. Punch-Out (which has an excellent 3D game with fun motion controls on the Wii, a fact I wonder if some people are aware of here) is a single player action puzzle boss fight game based on reading your opponents tells and knowing the specific move that avoids or counters. It's not really a fighting game as multiplayer against human opponents isn't a part of the experience. The existence of ARMS has no bearing on the future of Punch-Out. The games aren't even covered by the same development teams.

I did feel like my Punch-Out experience helped me in this game though, as I knew to let my opponent make the first move and then dodge and punish them, and it was amazing the large number of people that allowed me to play this game like Punch-Out rather than also wanting to wait for me to make the first move. And even if people don't play according to an algorithm that you can memorize, it is still basically the same thing trying to figure out patterns to your opponent to take advantage of them.

Shahadan

44€ where? That's I price I wouldn't pass this up on.
Do they have a site?

Leclerc and Auchan supermarkets in France, but they won't ship it to you.
I've sent the url to amazon.fr and they'll probably price match (they're still at 49€ for now) and fnac.com will do the same in that case.
Not sure about international shipping costs though.

Neiteio

And if you guys have any passing interest in gameplay similar to ARMS, please check out our Gundam Versus thread as the main series is finally coming stateside and they are currently running a trial version this month similar to the Testpunch: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383438

KtMEEE2.gif
Will Gundam Versus come out in the US by the end of September? I want to get a copy for my brother's birthday, and perhaps a copy for myself as well.

TheMoon

Remember? Splatoon should have starred Mario with Fludd. The internet knows better.

As a big GVS fan, ARMS is exciting as it does bring 3D arena fighting more to the foreground. It's also fun because of its limitations in comparison to GVS. In that game, you have long range/close range options, cancels, formations, assisting your partner, need for more spatial awareness, lots of mobility and so on while being centered around 2v2 team gameplay. ARMS has effectively ripped out half of that, but still manages to be intriguing and scratch that itch. It does make me wish there were more close range options though, like if we could coil up our arms for some quicker short-range multi hitting combos or something like that.

And if you guys have any passing interest in gameplay similar to ARMS, please check out our Gundam Versus thread as the main series is finally coming stateside and they are currently running a trial version this month similar to the Testpunch: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383438

Any impressions on the netcode quality? As a lapsed hardcore Gundam fan I would love to dive deep into this when it launches in the West.

lol this is ridiculous

yes I'm sure it seems so, but I'd prefer a level playing field.

Imagine for MK8 you love the motion controls and want to play competitively. You can do it sure, but few people do because the other control scheme is superior. Yet when you play with motion controls you are forced to play against the other control scheme. Granted, it looks as if a higher % of people like the motion controls in ARMS, but from what I've seen the most competitive people will be using traditional controllers.

JavyOO7

I played Helix yesterday for the first time after using Spring Man this entire weekend... woof. Lost every single 1 v 1. Can't wait to play as him again so I can get more used to his feeling... he's a cute character.

Totakeke

Imagine for MK8 you love the motion controls and want to play competitively. You can do it sure, but few people do because the other control scheme is superior. Yet when you play with motion controls you are forced to play against the other control scheme. Granted, it looks as if a higher % of people like the motion controls in ARMS, but from what I've seen the most competitive people will be using traditional controllers.

Imagine if they separated the pad players from the arcade sticks players from Street Fighter tournaments. It doesn't really matter, if you can play better it doesn't matter what control scheme you use.

hao chi

Yeah because I'll always be wondering. Just think it would be level playing field IMO.

I prefer using the Pro Controller, but the motion controls are pretty capable themselves. Someone earlier posted gameplay matches with motion controls, and they were able to move around and whatnot just fine.

Will Gundam Versus come out in the US by the end of September? I want to get a copy for my brother's birthday, and perhaps a copy for myself as well.
All I know is that it's set to release this Fall stateside.
Any impressions on the netcode quality? As a lapsed hardcore Gundam fan I would love to dive deep into this when it launches in the West.
Felt fine in a GAF room on Saturday. Played with US and Jamaica peeps and didn't feel anything too noticeable (I'm in the U.K.).
I prefer using the Pro Controller, but the motion controls are pretty capable themselves. Someone earlier posted gameplay matches with motion controls, and they were able to move around and whatnot just fine.
Those were probably mine. Yeah, it's just training your hands/arms to fight natural tendencies. Haven't had any real issues and works as it should.

Yeah I need to check that out, I may be completely wrong lol. This was my impression based on two hours total of gameplay.

Totakeke

Yeah I need to check that out. This was my impression based on two hours total of gameplay.

Most of the best recorded gameplay so far are with players playing with motion controls too. It's hard to find videos of good gameplay with players using standard controls.

Renna Hazel

Mario Kart 8 is already like that. You get to use the control setup you like best. I guess that's a problem for you...too bad.

This is just you projecting your preference for traditional controls. No where has it been proven they're better and no where can you "see" the most "competitive" people use traditional controls either. Just focus on yourself and your experience and stop worrying about other and assuming they're being handicapped just because you don't like their preferred control method. This just comes off as a stealth "motion controls are inferior" post

Top Bottom