• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

Spman2099

If the controls feel good, and I won't know that until I play it, then I think this will be absolutely great.

I really hope it won't let you just waggle, I hope it only accepts punches.

Da-Kid

If they're hellbent on calling it ARMS, they need to give it a subtitle because the name is so simplistic, it's hard to find it. Any subtitle ideas?

Seik

Banned
Ooooh, so motion controls are optional?

I was midly interested but now this might be a lock.

Can't wait to see more!

R0ckman

This seems like a very classic Nintendo title, like one of those generic names titles for the NES, like Hogans Alley or Urban Champion.

Peléo

Have been rewatching the treehouse segment, unfortunately there are some delays due to the stream.

One thing many people may have already noticed is the fantastic soundtrack. The trailer music had was already pretty good, but after listening to the music on Master Mummy stage and the strange laboratory stage, I'm conviced it will be all-around fantastic.

mrmickfran

Finally got to sit down and look at this game in depth. It looks absolutely fantastic.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a day one as long as it has a good amount of content.

Potential guest characters:

Yarn Kirby
Luffy
Rayman
Andross lol

How about a Wonder Pink who stretches with her whips but hits with Wonder Reds fists? Omg, that would be amazing :0

Yarn Kirby
Luffy
Rayman
Andross lol

How about a Wonder Pink who stretches with her whips but hits with Wonder Reds fists? Omg, that would be amazing :0

Lanky_Kong.png

Veal

This is a proper fighting game. It has simple punches/attacks, it has combos, it has throws, it has jumps, it has different colorful characters and stages it even has equipment and online play!

Nintendo really need to push this for EVO 2017.
Yes lawd!

In addition to the wrecking ball hands, he was using missiles that can do splash damage and revolvers (Mechanica also had these in the demo) that shoot out three projectiles at once.

So, Hard-Hitting, Splash Damage, and Zoning? Interesting! I think Master Mummy is definitely gonna be my main man until we see more characters! Thanks for the response!

If they're hellbent on calling it ARMS, they need to give it a subtitle because the name is so simplistic, it's hard to find it. Any subtitle ideas?

I just googled "Nintendo Arms" and got it. As for a subtitle, you gotta go with a cheesy, overblown one. ARMS: BAM! Extendable Arm Combat!

brad-t

Hard to find it in what sense? The name is already a double-entendre, adding anything to it would be diluting it. If you mean Googling, just search "Nintendo Arms" or whatever.

psyfi

Banned
This is a proper fighting game. It has simple punches/attacks, it has combos, it has throws, it has jumps, it has different colorful characters and stages it even has equipment and online play!

Nintendo really need to push this for EVO 2017.
I totally agree about it having competitive potential, but I don't know if it should be compared to fighting games honestly. It feels like a different beast.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sorry, no penis, so even if she proves the more popular of the two she'll at most be an alt for spring man and be brutally pushed aside in smash marketing to the point where you only know she's in because they add a "oh and you can play as ribbon girl" in the trailer :p
I'm not bitter at all

;D

Oh, yeah, there's nothing that ruins the game in the arenas yet that we know of :p

As for master mummy he's not as mobile as the others and is a big target and as someone else pointed out his attacks are sluggish (though he has access to a high priority weapon that punches straight through a lot of weaker weapons like the trident without stopping)

I alwasy found it funny when they kept pushing the male avatar FE characters when the female ones were clearly the most popular. It's not even a meme internet thing, you'll find the female version of the characters online like 95% of the time.

Finally got to sit down and look at this game in depth. It looks absolutely fantastic.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a day one as long as it has a good amount of content.

Yarn Kirby
Luffy
Rayman
Andross lol

Little Mac and Donkey Kong. Some of the punch out cast (King Hippo)

Regiruler

I totally agree about it having competitive potential, but I don't know if it should be compared to fighting games honestly. It feels like a different beast.

It's not that different from standard 3d fighters. Only change is the reduction of importance of being in melee range.

I alwasy found it funny when they kept pushing the male avatar FE characters when the female ones were clearly the most popular. It's not even a meme internet thing, you'll find the female version of the characters online like 95% of the time.
Yup. I feel like IS might be getting the hint finally due to f.corrin getting a figma and a nendroid but this realisation may have come too late to inform smash it seems.

Regiruler

All this bickering about female characters is irrelevant when both spring and ribbon aren't even the best character.

Ninjara for smash.

psyfi

Banned
It's not that different from standard 3d fighters. Only change is the reduction of importance of being in melee range.
That's a significant change, though. More so than any other fighting game, aiming in a 3D space will be crucial. That feels like an FPS skill more than a fighting game skill.

Regiruler

That's a significant change, though. More so than any other fighting game, aiming in a 3D space will be crucial. That feels like an FPS skill more than a fighting game skill.

From what I've watched curving seems to be binary. You can curve in one direction or the other, but no tuning beyond that.

The only way this will feel overpriced is if like SF V it ships in an extremely barebones state.

I'm expecting a cast of around 12-16 and about that many stages. Even if we have to go the Splatoon route to get them (the stages, I mean). Hopefully an arcade or story mode as well.

Wait, motion controls are optional?? Where did we hear this, it's not in the OP.

Sold, if true

The Treehouse stream confirmed it. (Does anyone know of a YT upload of it?)

psyfi

Banned
From what I've watched curving seems to be binary. You can curve in one direction or the other, but no tuning beyond that.
Hmm, good point. That does simplify it a bit, taking it out of FPS-level aiming skill range. Okay, maybe this is a fighting game after all. :)

Okay so just played this with mechanica and ribbon girl. (Ribbon girl can jump twice, not sure what mechanica can do)

Overall it feels a lot like Pokken. You have an up close game and a range game. Its not as cut clear as Pokken but certain gloves are just better upclose while others are better in wide range.

In wide range your primary goal is not to miss a punch. Even if the punch is parried (other player punches your glove basically) or blocked you will not loose as much time as with missed punches. So the best bet is attacks that have a scattershot imho. Up close the punches hit way more accurately so the gloves that give you a powerful one punch seem to be better.

Dashing, Airdashing, Jumping can be used to go in and out and to dodge.

Motion control felt really good. Not a comparison to Wii Boxing really. There was never a punch that did not register (obviously if your punch has missed and is flying to nowhere flailing will not help)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

I seem to remember someone on a stream I watched explaining it as "kind of a fighter and a shooter." Super clever concept/twist on the genre. I rarely get into fighting games but this one definitely has my attention.

Also, thanks for the impressions, poster above me! Cool to hear the motion controls were responsive. Did you notice the "HD Rumble" stuff?

Top Bottom